Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I want a WiiU and will probably get the NX because Nintendo makes fun games that I enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cowman posted:

I want a WiiU and will probably get the NX because Nintendo makes fun games that I enjoy.

I can't recommend the Wii U enough. It has been a blast.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
My concern is that if they do try and merge the handheld market with the home console market it will destroy both. I love Nintendo handhelds, the 3DS has developed into something great over its lifespan, but their consoles are very hit and miss!

The last console I loved from Nintendo was the GameCube, the motion controls on the Wii got annoying pretty quick. I didn't buy a Wii U as it was very expensive compared to other consoles for less power, less choice of games and quite expensive games that don't drop in price like Xbox or PlayStation games seem too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

nerd_of_prey posted:

My concern is that if they do try and merge the handheld market with the home console market it will destroy both. I love Nintendo handhelds, the 3DS has developed into something great over its lifespan, but their consoles are very hit and miss!

I totally agree that I don't want to see the handheld market go away, but I think Nintendo feels the same way. The NX is likely a response to the shrinking market. An attempt to push their handhelds outside the realm of what phones are doing by giving players access to a console library.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

you will fit in well here, this is the thread to recognise nintendos failings in the home console market by watching them release therir last console ever

nerd_of_prey posted:

this is what will happen. i mean theyve already lost a ton in the handheld market anyway as they're dying, so this is probably a last chance hurrah to try and salvage their only successful line of consolels while trying to revive their long-dead one at the same time. unfortuantely like evyerhting they do it'lkl be gimmicky and essentially flawed with no support. shame it had to end this way with them turningi into sega but the sooner they move to being a third party studio the bettrer.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Remember when Soul Calibur had Link

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Remember when Soul Calibur had Link

Who did Playstation and Xbox get for their bonus characters?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Jonas Albrecht posted:

heihachi and spawn respectively

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Playstation got the old guy from Tekken (ok I guess) and Xbox got Spawn (lmao)

MotU posted:

heihachi and spawn respectively
What the gently caress dude were you just sitting there, perched, waiting to steal this from under me?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My condolences, Xbox havers.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Xbox was bad, but not as bad as the Gamecube.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

The Xbox was bad, but not as bad as the Gamecube.

It was indeed not as bad as the Gamecube, because it was worse than the Gamecube.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I would rather play Halo online with my buddies than loving Double Dash or whatever actually.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i dont think i ever played a nintendo game online do they even have voice chat or anything so i can be yelled @ like a normal human being

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

I would rather play Halo online with my buddies than loving Double Dash or whatever actually.

I'm so, so sorry for you.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cubey posted:

Well this thread title rocks

Also if that controller is real Nintendo is fuuuuuucked

It kind of reminds me of the PS3 prototype boomerang controller:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm so, so sorry for you.

Personally I feel sorry for the kind of people who force their friends to play gimmicky party games over enjoyable competition.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It kind of reminds me of the PS3 prototype boomerang controller:

I still have no idea why this exists

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a shooter instead of racing too.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I never played Double Dash and I have no desire to.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord

Lady Naga posted:

Personally I feel sorry for the kind of people who force their friends to play gimmicky party games over enjoyable competition.

Lol

Hey guys forget about the gamecube how about a round of greco-roman wrestling

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

I never played Double Dash and I have no desire to.

It's one of the best racing games ever made.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Free Cheese posted:

Lol

Hey guys forget about the gamecube how about a round of greco-roman wrestling

The problem is that would legitimately be better than any video game.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's one of the best racing games ever made.

Yeah but uh...No.

Junpei Hyde posted:

The problem is that would legitimately be better than any video game.
Also this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Saoshyant posted:

A mockup someone did of touch screen controls specific per game. Looks cool, though how practical it is it's entirely another matter.

Also, that bevel contour and badly applied small label don't give it much credence as a real thing that actually exists, though it still looks impressively real for a mockup.

e: an image illustrating what I meant:

Someone should photoshop this so it's just the Hypnotoad buzzing glare with the analog sticks over the pupils.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

Yeah but uh...No.

you didn't play it

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

you didn't play it

I don't have to personally tear open the plastic bag and gnaw on an empty McDonald's coffee cup to know I probably wouldn't enjoy eating literal garbage.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I refuse to believe that that is an official nintendo controller.

It's not unprecedented, duder.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

I don't have to personally tear open the plastic bag and gnaw on an empty McDonald's coffee cup to know I probably wouldn't enjoy eating literal garbage.

Good thing Double Dash is a video game, and not literal garbage, so you do actually have to have played it to have any kind of opinion on it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lady Naga posted:

lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

Good thing Double Dash is a video game, and not literal garbage, so you do actually have to have played it to have any kind of opinion on it

Well that's just about the wrongest thing I've ever heard.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm still a bit sad that DK Mountain didn't make it into 8.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i didnt like double dash

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
played nfsu2 instead

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If the only time you're allowed to make a judgement call on media is by personally experiencing it firsthand for an arbitrary length of time then I hope you've never ever decided something wasn't worth your time. After all, how would you know unless you experienced it yourself????

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Seriously can someone put lady nag in a toe hold

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"Hey did you go see Batman V Superman" "nah the trailer made it look kind of stupid" "wtf you moron how could you say that without watching the whole thing???"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

If the only time you're allowed to make a judgement call on media is by personally experiencing it firsthand for an arbitrary length of time then I hope you've never ever decided something wasn't worth your time. After all, how would you know unless you experienced it yourself????

Naw. But what didn't you like about Double Dash?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

You actually literally do have to have experienced it for any amount of time to have an opinion on its quality, yeah

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"We dont want to make phone games instead we are making a console that combines the worst aspect of phone games into its main design" Nintendo apparently in 2016.

Tablets and phones must have broken nintendos brain.

Yeah, Nintendo has had an oddly neurotic company logic due to its mix of Japanese business conservatism and cautious attempts to reach out into new tech ever since the Nintendo 64 days. Literal CD tech confounded them in their stubbornness while they were stuck in a cartridge-based mindset and it's popped up in weird ways time and again like with Friend Codes to avoid direct network lobbying and Internet connectivity like in Smash Bros. for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's not unprecedented, duder.

The dumb leaked controller looked super bad unlike the gamepad which is good.

• Locked thread