Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Naw. But what didn't you like about Double Dash?

It's gimmicky bullshit.

DoubleDonut posted:

You actually literally do have to have experienced it for any amount of time to have an opinion on its quality, yeah

So what is the point of pre-release media then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lady Naga posted:

So what is the point of pre-release media then?

Do you know what "advertising" is

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

It's gimmicky bullshit.

How so?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Junpei Hyde posted:

The dumb leaked controller looked super bad unlike the gamepad which is good.

I have mixed feelings about the gamepad, slightly leaning overall towards bad. But we can agree to disagree. :shobon:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have mixed feelings about the gamepad, slightly leaning overall towards bad. But we can agree to disagree. :shobon:

It grew on me after I actually got to use one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wonder whether smaller japanese devs that usually go handheld will eventually default to the NX in absence of a sony handheld or if they'll just let that market die and hope foreign PS4 sales make up for it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

NXflate Gate

I read this as N Gage. That was a fun time to be alive:

The original video game taco!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Junpei Hyde posted:

It grew on me after I actually got to use one.

I've used one multiple times and it never grew on me. Personal preference, etc.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lady Naga posted:

If the only time you're allowed to make a judgement call on media is by personally experiencing it firsthand for an arbitrary length of time then I hope you've never ever decided something wasn't worth your time. After all, how would you know unless you experienced it yourself????

You do realize that is possible to choose not to spend your time doing something while simultaneously not passing judgement on it right?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
By the way, I can see it as an official Nintendo prototype in the vein of the PS3 controller I posted earlier but it will probably change a lot by the time of final product release.

I guess Nintendo desperately wanted to move past the Wii U?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mods, can you give this thread a slightly more NX focused title?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I guess Nintendo desperately wanted to move past the Wii U?

It's obvious that the Wii U is not making the company a lot of money so it is only natural that a business would want to change that, but beyond that simple fact no one knows. What we do know is that Nintendo does typically begin the first steps towards the creation of a new console quite early in the life cycle of their current console which is likely what happened with the NX. Nintendo claims that the reason they announced the NX early was to reassure consumers that they had not abandoned the console market just because they are getting into the mobile games market. I'd say that the real question cannot be answered until after the NX is released. That question is whether or not Nintendo has decided to rush the NX out of the door sooner than they would have if the Wii U was selling better. Personally, I hope that they did not choose to do this.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 28, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

DoubleDonut posted:

Do you know what "advertising" is

So you recognise that people are able to form opinions on things without first experiencing them, yet somehow this is invalid when that opinion is negative.

Xavier434 posted:

You do realize that is possible to choose not to spend your time doing something while simultaneously not passing judgement on it right?

Choosing to not spend your time on something is a judgemental act, you are saying that your time is worth more than whatever it is you're not doing.

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.

You (generic "you" here) realize that regardless of your own opinions on Mario Kart Colon Double Dash, "it's the best racing game ever made" is indefensible hyperbole, right? What would Mario Kart 8 be then? A disappointing followup?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

So you recognise that people are able to form opinions on things without first experiencing them, yet somehow this is invalid when that opinion is negative.

Choosing to not spend your time on something is a judgemental act, you are saying that your time is worth more than whatever it is you're not doing.

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.

You (generic "you" here) realize that regardless of your own opinions on Mario Kart Colon Double Dash, "it's the best racing game ever made" is indefensible hyperbole, right? What would Mario Kart 8 be then? A disappointing followup?

lol

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

agree, it is laughable to spend that much effort talking about Double Dash, mea culpa.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I would disagree insofar as the two player co-op races were very fun. Letting my copilot handle items so I could focus on driving, and vice versa, made for a different kind of game than usual. And the two racer feature didn't hurt the game design at all. Double Dash has some of the best MK tracks ever.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I would disagree insofar as the two player co-op races were very fun. Letting my copilot handle items so I could focus on driving, and vice versa, made for a different kind of game than usual. And the two racer feature didn't hurt the game design at all. Double Dash has some of the best MK tracks ever.

Well that's fine, so long as you don't call it "the best racing game ever made".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Well that's fine, so long as you don't call it "the best racing game ever made".

I don't really go for absolutes in games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I don't really go for absolutes in games.

It's okay to like things! It is also okay to dislike things.

DumbInACan
Jun 14, 2015

Lady Naga posted:

"Hey did you go see Batman V Superman" "nah the trailer made it look kind of stupid" "wtf you moron how could you say that without watching the whole thing???"

I can say I have no interest in seeing a movie or playing a game because it LOOKS stupid but I can't say the game or movie IS stupid without playing the game or watching the movie. You can make a decision on how much you care to engage in something because of reviews and media and other bull poo poo but you can't form an opinion on it.

"Hey did you go see Batman V Superman?" "no that movie was really bad" "wtf how could you say that without seeing the movie????" "oh you are right! maybe what I meant to say is that movie looks like it would be bad and therefore I am choosing not to see it but in reality I don't know if it is good or bad because I haven't seen it LOL I guess it was dumb of me to say I know something about it without watching it??"

DumbInACan fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 28, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

jfc

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's rather curious that the exact same people always show up to make one word poo poo posts whenever I disagree with commonly held perceptions.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Im not sure we'll ever reach the bottom of this age-old ethical quandary re: when is okay to dislike a videogame, but I am so proud of you all for the progress made in pursuit :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

I don't have to personally tear open the plastic bag and gnaw on an empty McDonald's coffee cup to know I probably wouldn't enjoy eating literal garbage.

lol ilu

DoubleDonut posted:

You actually literally do have to have experienced it for any amount of time to have an opinion on its quality, yeah

hi i played plenty of double dash: its loving awful trash no one should ever play and i applaude lady naga for good decision making in thsi area

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lady Naga posted:

actually it was a lot of fun and my family would play it together with the people who aren't good at driving controlling the items for a kart in co-op mode. but thanks for your sage analysis of this feature without playing it ever

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

It's rather curious that the exact same people always show up to make one word poo poo posts whenever I disagree with commonly held perceptions.

have u noticed that 90% of the tiem it sbecause of anintendo game or console?? its weird. really weird that any negativity about anything nintendo does is opposed by screaming and crying from pissy fanboys. curious...

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
hey if you dislike something it has to be for very well defined reasons it cannot be arbitrary or on a whim or anything like that b/c humans have to be 100% logical creatures w/o anything else affecting their judgement ok

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

actually it was a lot of fun and my family would play it together with the people who aren't good at driving controlling the items for a kart in co-op mode. but thanks for your sage analysis of this feature without playing it ever

it was a poo poo game and the feature was the bumbest thing they did to mario kart which is ewhy they removed it instantly instead of hanging on to it like they have with the other gimmicks theyve added

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

really weird mario kart 8 has the gimmicks from 7 and mario kart wii but not the dumb double dash gimmick that was dropped like a ton of bricks instantly. wonder why. maybe it was bad?? who knows...

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
every mario kart since 64 is just wrong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MotU posted:

every mario kart since 64 is just wrong

the og DS one was good imo but otherwise yeah

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Stux posted:

it was a poo poo game and the feature was the bumbest thing they did to mario kart which is ewhy they removed it instantly instead of hanging on to it like they have with the other gimmicks theyve added
It provided many hours of fun times for people who otherwise only get to sit and watch while the 'real' gamers battle it out. I only vaguely remember the disadvantage but that was a big pro for my family

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I liked how the DS one let you draw pictures for like an avatar and it would show up on your car but I can understand why they never brought that back.

Maybe they could do it with Miiverse posts tho??

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
My favourite Mario Kart is the second-worst selling one on the worst-selling console of its generation with the untenable gimmick

this is the one that is "literally the best racing game"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CrashCat posted:

It provided many hours of fun times for people who otherwise only get to sit and watch while the 'real' gamers battle it out. I only vaguely remember the disadvantage but that was a big pro for my family

mario kart as a regular game alreayd does this and the addition of the second character only relegates the "bad" players to a less fun position rather than just letting them play and blue shell u into oblivion

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

CrashCat posted:

lol if you didnt sit in your room by yourself playing video games while the rest of your family wondered "wheres our child/sibling"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ahh yes... well balanced sklil based vidoe game mario kart relly need a bullshit addition to let people be compeittive - some idiot who has never actually played mario kart multiplayer

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

best racing game ever!!!

e sorry I keep forgetting I'm on a retina display

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
heres how bad people had fun w/ mario kart: turn around, drive backwards, get lightning bolts and poo poo all day, suddenly hard mode for all the good people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lady Naga posted:

best racing game ever!!!

e sorry I keep forgetting I'm on a retina display

actually i think u'll find that the worst selling mario kart other than the GBA one is somehow the best even though even the wii u one on a console with half the install base sold better

• Locked thread