Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ventana posted:

I don't think it's a definite "3rd parties can't go on Nintendo platforms". If Nintendo could finally put out a console that isn't outright limiting to 3rd parties (with gimmicks like Wii or Wii U, or being cartridge based like N64), and wasn't selling terrible like the GC, 3rd parties would probably find good return investment on Nintendo ports.

Also, is the narrative now that the GC had terrible 3rd party support? It was certainly not as much as PS2, but at the same time it definitely had a bunch of stuff as well, and it felt like it was significantly more support than what the Wii U got.

Yeah, the GameCube definitely had decent 3rd party support from the big publishers like EA and Activision. A lot of the smaller devs though went PS2-only because it was so successful in terms of sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

CrashCat posted:

True, but if it's all exclusive stuff it still doesn't solve the "second console" problem. If nobody can play the stuff they can play on almost any other machine, it gets to be a tough decision no matter how strong the exclusives are. And they're pretty loving strong.

The PS4 was as successful as it was because when it launched it could play the major multiplatform games for $100 less than the Xbox One, have better graphics at the same time, and didn't force you to put a camera in your living room right after the Snowden leaks made people really weary about surveillance.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the Xbox meltdown thread?

the current shark tank thread or the original announcement/e3 thread from 2013?

here's the current one anyway: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622381

the very long OP has links to the past xbox one threads as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

someone get stux on the next flight to kyoto since he knows what's best for nintendo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cowman posted:

nintendo needs to make a new F-Zero already

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Bass Bottles posted:

LBW is the best Zelda

very sad about that new co-op one :(

please imagine the links from four swords or triforce heroes standing on top of each other and wearing a really long trenchcoat to try and sneak into an r-rated movie

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

all i know about bloodborne is that funny youtube video where the guy with the pointy helmet slides down the ladder

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I head that NX stands for NINTENDO XTREEM, c/d

can confirm, great aunt twice removed works for nintendo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i bet that the nintendo nx will have exactly one mario kart game for it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

They do, but they don't cater to gamers, they just throw gamers a bone sometimes. Nintendo of recent is actually a lot better about this than nintendo of yesteryear, which was frequently openly hostile to their biggest fans (rpg players are losers, clean the fridge, everything about competitive smash, the list goes on) but they will forever be chasing the dragon blue ocean of Non Gamers to buy their poo poo, and can I blame them? I'm going to be there at midnight for whatever they poo poo out no matter what, as will all the other nintendo fangirls/boys/persons. None of us need convincing.

It's funny how people have forgotten that the original unveiling of the Wii U was very much geared towards the gamer audience, and there was a lot of hype on the fact that it would be getting releases of the bigger AAA franchises like asscreed, Mass Effect, Call of Duty and such.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Patter Song posted:

EA's unprecedented partnership: giving the Wii U Mass Effect 3 months after giving it to other consoles and not releasing Mass Effect Trilogy on the Wii U despite that platform not having had the first two games.

Obviously it didn't sell as well as the other platforms because of something inherent to the Nintendo audience and not the fact that they would have had the first two games on other platforms and would be importing their saves there, or that the negative word of mouth surrounding ME3 might have had an effect by the time it was out on the Wii U.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

At hostpital lost fingat post mote later.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

This is why I also think they will have thick clients (a.k.a. "apps") that can provide some sort of on-the-go gameplay that is tied into various titles, but is not just remote play of the title or whatever. Like maybe a hypothetical Bravely Third would let you build your mars colony or whatever the poo poo using The NX/Bravely Third app on the go, then you'd come back to the NX and it'd note your progress in that for playing the main story.

So would that basically be like GTAV's dog app? Or the website clicking for Mass Effect 3?

EDIT: Actually... why hasn't Nintendo made a mobile version of Nintendogs?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

Nah I want to see more and more weird mockups like the good old days.

Anyone remember IGN's Gamecube controller:

The first prototype of the Gamecube controller that was shown to the public had the B button being kidney bean shaped like the X and Y buttons. Also A was blue and B was green like the N64 controller buttons were.

like so:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Commercial blu-ray replication costs (labeled disc, keep case and cover insert) roughly $2-$3 for a single layer BD25 disc. A DVD9 disc would be about $.70 per disc.

NAND flash has dropped in price a LOT because of the rise of smartphones and the increased use of SD cards for everything.

We're not quite there yet, but at some point in the near future, the price difference between 32 GB of flash memory and a 25GB Blu Ray disc will end up being a complete wash.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The OG fat PS3 had the PS2 hardware built in so it could be backwards compatible. The Wii U has a separate partition and boot loader that uses the same CPU and GPU to run Wii software natively.

The Xbox 360 used a software emulator that was kinda broken and never worked right. The Bone uses a mix of software emulation and recompiled executables to run Xbox 360 games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Considering the Wii U is the first Nintendo console to have a controller with two legit analog sticks, I don't think it's a given the NX will.

Nintendon't care 'bout FPSes.

The Gamecube controller would like to have a word with you.

Also the Wii Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Battery Life

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Dr Cheeto posted:

When are you forced to use it

metroid prime trilogy

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

No Chip Lives Forever

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Does the mini NES have HDMI out?

Yes. It's the only connection we know for sure it supports.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Capacitive touch is mostly redundant when paired with traditional controls. You don't need pinch/pull zoom when you have dual analogues+clicksticks and two shoulder buttons on each hand.

But for the things touch DOES offer, resistive + stylus + controls either comes out ahead, especially relative to cost and convenience (drawing maps, art class programs, Miiverse doodles) or is at worst a wash (web navigation, menus, onscreen keyboard, context-sensitive hotkeys).

Like, compare the Vita and Wii U web browsing user experiences, and even after factoring out under-the-hood differences, the Wii U resistive interface is way more responsive and precise.

You are defending resistive touch screens.

Try using the Wii U gamepad's touch screen when your stylus fell between the couch cushions and tell me that resistive touch is better than capacitative touch.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

maybe a look at how nx ports will turn out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm16p4qYjF4

Doesn't Android's OGL implementation have a shitload of overhead?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

if they don't make it a touch screen for the portable aspects, i bet you that a LOT of kids are going to try tapping the screen and get frustrated when it doesn't work.

especially when you realize that the original iphone is 9 years old and for a lot of younger people, touch screens are the norm that they know.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Like minecraft already does

And really what other microsoft IPs are left nowadays?

Gears, Halo, Forza, and uh.....

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I hope the NX is an attempt to resurrect the Virtual Boy.

I still think that it was a missed opportunity to sell virtual boy games on the 3DS VC

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm reeeal curious about the detachable controller thing. If it's 2 side-mounted modules like that goofy concept art, there's no way that's gonna feel good when you're in Big TV mode.

i'm imagining it feeling like using a wiimote and nunchuck tbqh

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

I have heard it described as not building an emulator for the N64, but as an emulator for a specific N64 game. And if it runs other stuff, bonus!

Pretty much. The N64's GPU was fully programmable by the developer. While most games used the standard microcode that Nintendo and SGI provided, a few devs like Rare and Factor 5 chose to write their own to eke better performance out of 1995 hardware.

Oh yeah, and the N64 GPU was horribly undocumented.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Df showed dolphin running great on the nvidia shield

Dolphin doesn't emulate Wii U though. And in the DF video the Wii stuff was a crapshoot.

Also the Wii U emulator that is out there already pretty much needs a GTX 970 equivalent to be playable.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rachael Byrk, one of the developers of Dolphin passed away last year.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also they probably wouldn't put games on the VC that would likely get caught up in a licensing snafu, like F-Zero GX, probably.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

if the nx is rf-only, then i hope you can mod it to output rgb and s-video as well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jsor posted:

Super Mario Bros NeXt

Super Mario Land NX

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i hate that you guys that can put your consoles in your pockets. i have to turn my cell phone sideways to fit in in my front pockets, let alone carry something like a 3DS around.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Minidust posted:

:raise: I'm racking my brain trying to think of more than one way to put a phone in a pocket. Help.

women's jeans have tiny pockets and aren't usually deep enough to hold an iphone without turning it on its side :ssh:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I actually found a fan translation of the FDS version of Metroid. It's pretty nice if you want to play the original game but with a save system and better music.

The downside is the load times.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I really wish Nintendo would bring back the colored translucent plastic cases.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'll just post this here since this is a replacement for the Wii U thread:

Nintendo has announced some more Nintendo Selects, including :siren:NINTENDO LAND FOR $20:siren:

:siren: Wind Waker HD for $20 :siren:

I know what i'm buying.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

your options for legally playing those games:
  • buying a used NES off of craigslist/ebay as well as a decent composite to HDMI scaler (good luck finding one that doesn't stretch the video horizontally) – ~$30 for the NES, and about $50 for the scaler
  • buying individual cartridges of all of those games – between $20-40 per game, with the more well known but less common games being pricier – ~$1800 for the same set of games but as original cartridges
  • buying the individual games off of the wii u or wii virtual console for $5 each – total price for the full list of included games: $150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

have fun scrolling through all the lovely romhacks and minutely different cartridge dumps to find and play "Super Mario Bros (1985) [JU] [o] [a] [!].nes"

• Locked thread