Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
nobody tell s.i.r.e. about the 10NES chip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

You lack Blast Processing. Checkmate, PC gamers.

Don't forget the High Definition Graphics, it says so right on the case.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

nigga crab pollock posted:

i cant wait for it to be torn down and revealed to be some midrange cell phone chipset running virtual console encapsulated emulators and hackers figure out how to a) play other games and b) execute homebrew via usb

this is pretty likely, but i'd think it's more likely that they're using a similar soc to the 3ds, if not the same one.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

What issues this gen are games running into because of shiny circles? Even physical copies aren't running off the disc anymore (Do WiiU games? Do they matter?)

Wii U games definitely run off the disc. Look at the load times on the eShop version of #FE compared to the disc version.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Rastor posted:

Cost of a mass duplicated Blu-Ray disk: about US $0.75 - $1.50, depending on quantity ordered. source
NAND Flash, 64Gb, average contract price: about US $2.25. source

That Gigabits, that's 8 GB

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

greatn posted:

Another asked what are video games? What's the deal with video games and why is Nintendo making video games?

Sounds like somebody bought in back when Nintendo was making hanafuda cards and love hotels.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

The N64 controller was a really important milestone in the development of controllers and while it had obvious and glaring flaws, it singlehandedly brought back analog, and the dual shock probably would not have existed without it, so there's no reason to have a ridiculous fanboy fight about this

The joysticks that pre-NES consoles used were digital, just fyi. The PC flight sticks that existed at the time were analog. The real innovation was taking an analog controller mechanism like in the full size flight sticks and shrinking it down to the size of the modern thumbstick.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah I'd say that the price cut, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 played a huge part in saving the 3DS after its wet fart of a launch

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

wasnt even first analog at all though lmao the ps1 had an analog controller before the n64 even released!

quote:

The Dual Analog Controller was first displayed under glass at the PlayStation Expo 96-97 which was held from November 1 to November 4, 1996.[1] It was released in Japan in April 1997, coincident with the Japanese releases of analog-capable titles Tobal 2 and Bushido Blade.[2]

Before its release in the United States, Sony decided that vibration feedback would be removed from the European and American versions of the controller. According to a Sony spokesperson, "We evaluated all the features and decided, for manufacturing reasons, that what was most important to gamers was the analog feature."[3]

It was released in the United States on August 27, 1997; and in Europe in September 1997 with little promotion. A few months later, the first DualShock controller was released in Japan on November 20, 1997.

quote:

N64 Release date:
JP: June 23, 1996
NA: September 29, 1996
EU: March 1, 1997
AUS: March 1, 1997

:confused:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Stux posted:

dig deeper, i speak of another

because this:

is extremely similar to the now traditional thumbstick that all modern controllers have.

also not to mention that the PSX controller/dual analog/dual shock is a derivative of the SNES/SFC controller.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

He's probably talking about the Sega Saturn Nights controller I posted yesterday.

that was released a month after the n64 though

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

now you're just splitting hairs. the n64 was the first console to:
  • standardize on an analog joystick as the primary input method.
  • use an analog joystick that was small enough that it could be moved with the thumb alone.
yeah the exact mechanical design of the n64 stick wasn't picked up (and thank god it wasn't)

the dual stick layout from the psx dual analog/dual shock was picked up i don't deny that, but the n64 was the first console to standardize on the analog stick as the primary input method.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Ugh, why is this poo poo in the NINTENDO NX thread?

because there's been next to no new information about the nx beyond the reports that it's going to use some kind of tegra soc, and because there's no catch-all nintendo thread in games anymore.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 10, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Over-under on the NX having a SIM card slot?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

s.i.r.e. reminds me of that one idiotic Polygon writer who kept going "here's why Mario Kart 8 is gonna flop" and every time Mario Kart 8 got good reviews and did well for the system he kept going "uh yeah well it still sucks and it's gonna fail"

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

When will nintendo stop putting new ideas in their systems and just make a console that's exactly like every other one?

I mean look at this gimmicky D-Pad garbage with the NES when every console before it has used a joystick.

And what's with the SNES doing these shoulder buttons, everybody knows you only put the buttons on the face of the controller, what were they thinking with those L and R buttons on the front of the controller?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nintendo wouldn't do gimmicks if they didn't work. It didn't work for the Wii U and Gamecube, but when it works, it works

At one point, putting a D-Pad on a console was going against the grain, now it's standard. At one point, the idea of shoulder buttons was an odd gimmick, because all controllers had the buttons on the face because that's how arcade cabinets were, now every controller has them.

As much as we deride waggle controls, the Wii was a sales monster that printed money. The DS was considered gimmicky for having two screens and touch support, and that too was a money printer.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Also I think that the PS2's backwards compatibility was a huge factor for people, especially with the somewhat anemic launch day lineup. Sony could easily supplement that with the entire PSX back catalog right when all the games would be dirt cheap "greatest hits."

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i hope the nx launches with a main series mario game.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i'd love a zelda maker that just focused on designing dungeons.

even better if they could work an evil genius/dungeon keeper type campaign to it

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i hope the handset has its own power cord so i can keep playing when its low and i'm not home with the dock.

the handset will have its own power cord and the dock will have its own power cord and both of them will need to be plugged in at the same time to work.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

My ps4 turns my tv on and switches inputs itself

hdmi-cec is nice when it works but it can be really finicky across manufacturers

i use a logitech harmony remote though, that's really nice to have

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

i hope everyone who has been regurgitating this take for going on two decades now crashes and burns

but... but... but look at sega and how well they're doing after going third party and how all their non-sonic franchises are performing.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

that donkey kong looks like he doesn't want to be there

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Before Iwata died, he said there high level discussions about potentially dropping region locking for the NX. I really hope they follow through though.

Since the NX is going back to cartridges, all you need to do to get a region free one is to cut off two plastic tabs in the cartridge slot.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Do you think the NX will still have Download Play?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

the nintendo doom clock was moved to 3 minutes before midnight last week

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Houle posted:

I just had an idea that would actually be fairly boss. If they just merged Amiibo with solid state drives it would be pretty neat. Having the cart click into place on top of the console which is lodged into the base of the specialized amiibo it would be a much more interesting package/ collection than just an SD card. It would be a little more expensive but would actually be useful seeing as how current amiibos are jsut dlc horse armour for the most part.

it's an idea for sure, but Amiibos use NFC to transfer data and the bandwidth for that is actually quite low.

Edit: unless you meant something like having the edge connector for something like an SD card being exposed.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nintendo PleaseN UnderstandX

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

:ohdear: i hope you guys don't get fired for leaking the nx designs

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

also im so relieved they finally are putting the mario on the iphone so i can stop reading that lovely loving thinkpiece like twice a week

hahahaha like actually putting mario on ios is going to stop those loving thinkpieces.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

No, I own a PC which has been capable of emulating NES games since ever

really? last time i tried was with nesticle and it didn't work very well. the sound was way off, the emulator had to patch games specifically to run in nesticle and you didn't even have the bottom bar of super mario bros 3.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

zolthorg posted:

generally speaking the entire firmware of a traditional emulated hardware console is a copyrighted piece of code, if they rewrite a new firmware its legal but you can't really say it will emulate accurately.

cartridge consoles generally* don't need a bios rom to be able to run games, since the rom chips run directly on the metal and include a bios within the game itself.

disc based consoles do need one† because the system's bios is generally needed to boot the games.

--
*game boy advance needs a bios file, and newer handhelds like the ds and 3ds might but i'm not 100% sure.
†dolphin doesn't need a bios file, but it can use it if it has it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

InFlames235 posted:

Rumor is the NX actually has an Nvidia Titan X in it with a core i7 processor. It will weigh 50 lbs but be sold as not only a gaming system but a way to be healthier since you can use it as a weight to lift at the gym.

And all powered by a deep cycle marine battery

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

a gamecube is the one nintendo system i don't own.

i have an nes, snes, n64, and a wii u.

and i installed nintendont on my wii u

whoops

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

but i have nintendont on my wii u so i can still play gamecube games with nice picture quality.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

game boy, game boy pocket, game boy color, virtual boy, game boy advance, ds, 3ds?

i have a 3ds (and thus a ds)

i have a gameboy pocket somewhere as well.

when i made that post, i was only thinking of the home consoles and not the portables.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

zolthorg posted:

you can still load isos on a gamecube using some weird network adapter hack, and you should because the market prices interested consumers out right now as absurdly badly as the snes market.
want a copy of smash melee or earthbound ? enjoy paying twice what the console cost

yeah but if i wanted to use a real gamecube i'd have to pay way too much for component cables or else use a really ugly looking HDMI hack (assuming i got a gamecube with a digital out port)

nintendont on a wii u is the same as playing on a real gamecube except no game boy player and you can use the Wii U's HDMI out.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

better than the oculus rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i have a 3ds and a wii u.

both of them are very good systems

the nx will also be a good game system.

• Locked thread