Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

CrashCat posted:

Yeah it probably can't happen at this point, no matter whether they need it or not

I don't think it's a definite "3rd parties can't go on Nintendo platforms". If Nintendo could finally put out a console that isn't outright limiting to 3rd parties (with gimmicks like Wii or Wii U, or being cartridge based like N64), and wasn't selling terrible like the GC, 3rd parties would probably find good return investment on Nintendo ports.

Also, is the narrative now that the GC had terrible 3rd party support? It was certainly not as much as PS2, but at the same time it definitely had a bunch of stuff as well, and it felt like it was significantly more support than what the Wii U got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

tithin posted:

PS2 technically? It launched in 2000 - two years after the dreamcast.

Considering that the Gamecube and Xbox both came out in 2001, I think that's more that the Dreamcast came out way too early for that generation. I'd guess most people would say that that generation started with the PS2 and Dreamcast was just an outlier.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Patter Song posted:

As long as Sony and Microsoft are keeping to the "Neo and Scorpio are big brothers to the PS4 and Xbone, not new generations" line

I doubt that's it, the same way Nintendo has offered up their new handhelds as the "third pillar" since the DS.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is there any word yet if Amiibo's will still be a thing for NX. I hope so and they actually make them more useful (they totally won't, though....).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Can we seriously not judge the quality of a Game's content with it's Price Tag. If you can't afford to buy every game under the Sun but want a good time investment for your buck, that's a little understandable. But otherwise, no please stop. Be mindful of the game's budget maybe if you care about stuff like that, not the price tag.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Guy Mann posted:

Price doesn't matter if you're a NEET who either pirates everything or has their parents to buy everything for them.

Not really? I mean, maybe if you're talking about people who buy every game under the sun or get every console or something. But you can be responsible and buy the occasional game without breaking the bank.

fivegears4reverse posted:

At the end of the day the actual 'acceptable' price for any game is the amount you are willing to spend on it at the time you decide to make the purchase, regardless of how dramatic you are when you complain about prices in a forums post later down the line. Some people are intensely militant about what that exact dollar/yen/zeni amount actually is, but it's different for every person. TLDR Price chat is still pretty loving stupid, but not necessarily or entirely for the reasons Ventana or Meldonox claim.

I actually think our points align I think, cause I agree with the stuff you listed out with varying prices over the years. And in recent years as well, prices still can vary when you factor in DLC, different pricing models from FTP or kickstarters, or the large can of worms that comes from factoring in the varying prices of Used/Old games especially when it comes to sales. The point I wanted to make is that prices in games can be extremely variable based on a lot of environmental circumstances, not really tied to the content within the game itself or it's quality. "Quality" here is kind of a messy thing to define, but I dunno if anyone here really wants to argue about that point.

And I wasn't saying that judging based on a game's budget wasn't without it's own fault, but I always found that getting people to think about it had more of a chance to at least be more introspective of the whole situation at the very least, rather than getting to the silly "How can a 7 hour single player experience cost $50?" argument.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

A SNES thing would be even better and worth the money. I've seen others point this out but it's kind of weird that mainstream nostalgia hasn't shifted to the SNES as that generation grows up. I guess the 16 bit sprites don't work as neatly for screenprinting?

It's probably coming along the way, just that nintendo intends to start off in order of their consoles so NES makes sense as a starting point.

My only question is if Nintendo is doing a famicom mini, and what different games it'd have.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
She was wrong about Mother 3 though which is playing with my heart too much for me to trust her again.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr Cheeto posted:

Feel like this is a load of wishful nerd thinking. I can't see them releasing a handheld when between the recent release of MonHun Generations and the November release of Pokemon Sun & Moon you'd have two really popular system sellers which wouldn't have a game ready for the NX in some time.

Pokemon Black and White 2 came out several months after the 3DS already launched. While the sequels are arguably less important, they still sold almost 10 million units which is pretty significant especially to a new console, so I would definitely say that expecting Nintendo to align these releases together is thinking too hard.

Black Mage Knight posted:

It is worth noting that the upcoming Sonic 2017 game is going to be on PS4 XBone and NX so that does suggest some level of similar performance between the hardware (unless the NX version is going to be a complete different game).

Pretty sure that's just another case where they just listed the console on base expectations, and they probably only have a limited idea about what the NX really can do and are going to sort out their porting later (this kind of thing has happened before). I wouldn't put too much stock into relative power from that.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Have you never seen a leak before? People wanting to share info but not publicly expose themselves happens all the time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

greatn posted:

I wouldn't go with just Eurogamer, but I don't think digital foundry has ever give with something they weren't sure was true.

Digital foundry was listed as confirming sources though back in the rumor days of the 3DS back when Eurogamer was talking up the tegra back then too. I'm just going to assume the situation with NX is similar in that it's just a placeholder thing for now.

I thought this guys logic was all weird, but then I checked out some of his other videos, and uh, apparently he got on some podcast with Denis Dyack. And when he brought up the issue of Dyack's past, to roughly paraphrase, "Whatever problems you may have heard about this guy in the past, he's still a developer and we should trust him." :psyduck:

So, uh, needless to say, I wouldn't trust much of what this guy says.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

X1 is loving ancient and slow even by Nintendo standards

What is "slow by Nintendo Standards"? People were saying that the X1 was already better than what the Wii U has; sounds about the norm for what we've seen Nintendo do the past couple of generations by that alone with marginally better performance.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I really wish Fast Racing NEO was a much more interesting game than it ended up being. It looks and runs so well, but the tracks are so boring (which is a super big deal to me, one of the core reasons I loved the F zero series) that I really can barely recommend the game.

Minidust posted:

I'm not too knowledgable about specs and such but weren't the developers of Need For Speed: Most Wanted specifically able to do more on the Wii U version due to increased power over the 360/PS3?

Yeah, the game was done better compared to the other console releases, but not by a super significant amount. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-face-off

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

s.i.r.e. posted:

On a piece of lovely proprietary hardware that everyone's going to use once and leave on a shelf to collect dust.

Why even play video games

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hate to see old games die because they're tied down to hardware that isn't manufactured anymore and whatever still exists is going to eventually wear out.

All the more fitting coming from your Yoshi's Island Avatar. RIP the Super FX Chip.

s.i.r.e. posted:

it uses cartridges (ugh)

Why the "ugh"? I highly doubt anything about the NX's potential success or failure is really going to come from it using carts.

s.i.r.e. posted:

but isn't going to be backwards compatible with the Wii U or 3DS?

Backwards compatibility really isn't as important nowadays as we all used to think. Plus it's not like the new audience that Nintnedo is trying to sway with the NX bought the Wii U in the first place.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Quest For Glory II posted:

Its always fun to remember that Splatoon outsold Bloodborne

Splatoon is the Dark Souls of shooters

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The Gamecube Controller did nothing wrong

(well the c stick sucked but besides that)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SilverSupernova posted:

Many attempts to play Soul Caliber 2 and Mega Man Anniversary Collection say otherwise. The controller is fine for games that were specifically built around it (Smash, Luigi's Mansion) but pretty awful for almost everything else.

I definitely had an easier time with Soul Calibur 2 on the GC than PS2 myself. And many more games were fine :shrug: Never played the MM collection but there really weren't a lot of games I had that when I look back at them were really terrible with the controls.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The only ones I'd say were any good are 3 and 8, maybe 7 too

Chapter 7's setup and environments are super cool, and it had a nice joke on it's theme (where you go when you Game Over), the only bad thing was the climb at the end that could get difficult but the boss itself was worth it.

But even still, you're not giving SPM it's credit and hyperbolizing things too much. Chapter 2 was actually really neat with Mimi's tricks, especially near the end, and the working puzzle bit was pretty fun to get through the secrets when you realize you're not actually supposed to Jump/Run your way to a million. Chapter 6 is really neat not only because of the Samurai/Battle to 100 jokes, but also for it's destroyed world segment (and it's not 5 minutes, it's actually just barely over 1 minute of walking).

You are right in that Chapter 4 and 5 are straight up bad, but the rest of the game was pretty much fine, full of their normal creative ideas and not too obnoxious unless you don't like SPM's super long dialogue.

BillmasterCozb posted:

the Twilight Princess part of TTYD was boring

Twilight Town was actually cool

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

EDIT: also why do paper mario fans call everything by their loving chapter numbers without even specifying which game they mean when they could, you know, use the much more recognizable chapter titles? Like for real.

I can't remember the Chapter names for poo poo, regardless of any video game. If it's divided by Chapters, I'm going to call them by Chapters. At least in phoenix wright people will refer to Cases by the game number first sometimes, but that would get too complicated since SPM also has Chapter divisions as well (5-1, 3-3, etc). I don't see the problem with just simplifying here.

Kashuno posted:

Yeah being Roxas was a cool twist

The part where Mario pulls out Two Hammers was pretty awesome too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DoctorWhat posted:

the problem is that the whole past page people have been talking past each other by referring to chapters of games ambiguously. no two people have described the same Chapter Seven

No one talked about any other Chapter 7 other than SPM's though. Even if you were mixed up in reading the chronology of posts, you could've seen that the same post was talking about SPM's Chapter six immediately before (since only one Chapter six involves the world blowing up). Or anything I said since I guess I reference specific things in each chapter. This is just kind of silly.

(also it'd be crazy if anyone thought TTYD's Chapter 7 was good. It was "Backtrack through every town again" to get to the Moon base, and the Moon+Moon base wasn't good enough to really justify it)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

~Coxy posted:

They already stopped making F-Zero, Metroid, Star Fox, etc. so no big loss.
(and no Zelda on WiiU most likely...)

2 of those got/are getting releases this year. And yes, Federation Force counts.

And Breath of the Wild is still going to be on the Wii U.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Natron posted:

I hope that when they reveal it they also say nothing about processor speed, available RAM, resolution, or storage so that it can continue until March.

Pretty sure that's the norm for their console reveals. Maybe something about storage but probably lacking some important detail. It'd still be useful to clarify other useful things (price, launch/upcoming titles, how the controllers/device actually works).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Soul Glo posted:

It's bad, actually

It's got some problems but mostly it's aight

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He also mentions that the person he talked to said it "was a dream to code for", which doesn't sound like it's forcing developers to create two different games.

That doesn't necessarily mean that though. Being easy to code on the console is nice, but doesn't change that you'd have a system that'd have 2 very different resolution/graphics structures available to them, which might necessitate different versions that we're talking about here. Being easier to code for can mean several things, from "allows us to do all sorts of tricks with the console" to something simple like "is not rear end-backwards to do ports for".

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

~Coxy posted:

Better not be $300 for the basic bitch edition.

idk, considering that this new thing might be some home console + mobile console, I think $300 sounds fine to me assuming this isn't some thing where you have to buy both. I know some people just look at it as compared to the Wii U, but I always see it as "The new Wii U + 3DS" which sounds like it'd have to cost more than what the original Wii/3ds launched at. And I wouldn't be surprised if that's how Nintendo thought about it too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

raditts posted:

Now think of it from the mindset of the manchildren who complained that three separate full-length Fire Emblem games came out at the same time because "you have to pay $100 to get the 'full game'."

Well, I don't know much anything about Fire Emblem, but maybe I can understand a little if people got confused about the release? If they are all different games with different (but maybe continuous? idk) stories, normally we don't get 3 installments like that all at once for initial release. Like explaining to people that shows on Netflix or w/e can release all their episodes at the same time, which was weird to me at first too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
So is this like a stream or something or are they just gonna post a yt video on their twitter or what

• Locked thread