Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My understanding is that the code in the carts would tell the N64 CPU that it should use "this" rendering program instead of the "other" rendering program. This being the Internet though someone has likely (and hopefully) written somewhere half a book explaining the actual process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Have you missed Izzy? What about the 90's? Nintendo made another episode of The Play Show just for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFGqWdiJPMo

Seems to be a bi-weekly thing now.

Between this, Nintendo Minute, and Cat Mario Show, they do seem to be trying to keep an actual media presence.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Do they know something we don't? :tinfoil:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Selling iterative hardware makes more sense when people are actually buying it

Why is Microsoft doing it then :confused:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

BexGu posted:

or shut down by Nintendo.

You just had to go and jinx it, didn't you?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

You may say that Metroid didn't do it like Sticks and stay on target.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Raserys posted:

don't mistake me, i love the gamecube dearly, i just thought it sold poorly

It did, but it sold double of what the U did, so it wasn't as bad in the long run. Wii U sold Dreamcast levels and if it was the only thing Nintendo had to rely on money they would have gone under like a certain other company.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And speaking of the Gamecube and Dreamcast, I keep getting confused why Internet people keep bringing it up that Nintendo NX needs to compete with the PS4. They've already been there and it didn't work.

When the Gamecube came out the Dreamcast had already gone under. The hype for the PS2 had been so ridiculous that even in my tiny, poor country, the thing flew out of the shelves when it came out at a price point that would convert to $500 in today's money. It had one of the worst line up launches I've ever seen a console and in my opinion it took nearly a year and half to get anything that people could legitimately call system sellers (MSG2, GTA, etc). Yet when the Gamecube and the Xbox came out, nobody flocked to them. The PS2 was already too entrenched in just that one year and half.

Now, the PS4 has been out for three years, it sold over 40 million consoles -- everyone knows someone who owns one and everyone who has one has most of their friends playing in it online. Nobody is going to buy a NX if it's just something that is slightly better than a PS4. Hell, Microsoft already announced something like that and I rather doubt anyone will honestly care when the time comes. Specs sell to hardcore people. Normal people care about brands they recognize and word of mouth. And thankfully, Nintendo has finally recognized this and it may lead to good things eventually.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Sega at least had the courage to pull the plug when they found the same unpatchable exploit on the DC

That's an apples and oranges comparison. Sega kept reducing the price of the Dreamcast throughout 2000 to try and sway people away from the PS2 hype. Their logic was that they would recoup the costs with software sales. When that turned out not to work due to piracy and a very small installed user base, all the while the price of the components did not go down, Sega just started bleeding money on every system sold and bleeding hard. They had to stop.

Nintendo's Wii? They kept earning money for every system sold. The huge number of users also meant that for every 1 people that would pirate, there were 100 others who would legitimately buy games because they didn't know/care that they could pirate.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What the hell is a Nintendonx, indeed?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

smell this posted:

Like a maniac

Now you're playing with power.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

sega nomad was cool. Seemed fragile though. My friend went through like three of them the screens kept breaking

It didn't have a touchscreen and a fist isn't a stylus either.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

DID YOU KNOW SONY IS RELEASING A PS4 SLIM?? Such a well kept secret that there's even an unboxing video... an unboxing video of a product that hasn't even been officially announced. Sony is also desperately using the DMCA to shut down every news site that mentioned it or posted any photos of it.

All the while, the NX may be a handheld system using Tegra with detachable controls. Maybe. And that's a whole system that every big third-party studio is aware of and in all likelihood producing some work for. I'm just saying it's ridiculous amazing how well kept a secret the device has been. You can't do this sort of thing if you aren't running a really tight ship around the whole operation, so kudos to Nintendo for that at least. They really want to surprise people when the time comes.

And call me the eternal hopeful, but I think they can do it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Ah, well it's Emily Rogers, replying to a rumor about the detachable controllers having motion control.

That's from here by the by.

quote:

In the past few days, Let’s Play Video Games has learned that not only was the Eurogamer report accurate, but the detachable NX controllers will support basic motion control, similar in fidelity to the Wii Remote Plus, and a form of “advanced vibration force feedback”.
LPVG has learned that these controllers are designed to phase out the Wii Remote over time, featuring much of their same functionality. Players with existing Wii Remotes will be able to use them for some multi player titles, but not all releases.
The force feedback functionality of the controller has been described by one source as “very similar to the Vive controller, in that it alters intensity, pulsing patterns and duration of vibration to mimic the sensation of a range of different movement types. It’s not just one vibration for all situations, there’s a notable difference between the hard abrupt feedback of a sword clash or the softer, longer thud of something like hitting a tennis ball.”

One of the titles which will support both the new NX detachable motion controllers and Wii Remotes for multiplayer is Just Dance 2017.

And verbatim copying the tweets from that Emily Rogers lady:

quote:

1) This article about NX's detachable controllers supporting force feedback and motion controls has truth. https://t.co/4ChXVvqLWd
2) NX prototype had a 6.2 inch 720p multi-touch touchscreen. Unknown if final product's screen size will be larger / smaller than prototype.
3) Prototype for dock station has USB ports. I heard 2 usb ports, but I don't know if this number will change in the final product.
4) MCV's report about GameFreak being involved with NX has some truth to it.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 26, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And since I'm clueless about inch stuff and have no idea how big or small that would be, this is the first video hit I found of a 6.2 inch tablet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2df4y8mHsk

Which is nice. Bigger than that and it would be uncomfortable what with the controllers adding weight/width.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Every major video game console and handheld except the new Xbox one has motion controls.

If only the Bone had won the console war we would no longer be subjugated to the horrors of motion controls. Fie, I say, fie!

I'm more confused about the GameFreak mention. How is it any surprise that the Pokemon people are working on a game for the NX?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gorgolflox posted:

Rumor: The NX will be rad

I've tweeted Gamexplain this rumor. They said a 40 minute video is incoming. Well done.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I'm fairly sure Nintendo already came up with something that does that. They named it the Miiverse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But they can't use gendered names on their devic-- I got it! Nintendo Person.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

a.lo posted:

yikes. I gotta renew my vehicle registration!

You. You know something, don't you? 'Fess up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Jesus, look at those graphics :circlefap:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

More rumors incoming: devkits have been found to have a Share button and a split D-pad, so it can be used as another input method I imagine.

quote:

Following our report last week regarding the Nintendo NX featuring advanced vibration technology and motion sensing in it’s new Wii Remote replacement controllers, Let’s Play Video Games has learned some additional information regarding the current version of the NX development hardware.
According to anonymous sources that have contacted Let’s Play Video Games following the previous report, we have learned that not only does the current NX development hardware feature a split D-Pad, unlike the solid pads Nintendo typically uses, but that the system also features a share button similar to that on the PS4.
The share button, denoted by a small icon of a camera, will apparently allow the upload of still images and video directly to Miiverse, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. It will also be possible to save images or video to external memory devices for easier transfer to PC.
While the reasoning behind switching to a split D-Pad is currently unclear, the above header image was drawn by a source familiar with the current NX development kit and matches a description of the dev kit layout given by a second source who has provided reliable leaks regarding Nintendo products in the past.
So, are you hopeful for the chance to upload gameplay footage from NX to YouTube, or are you fearful of all the footage you upload being Content ID matched or taken straight back down by Nintendo’s legal teams?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

She doesn't shut up, though.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lady Layton, you philistines!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

And the rumors -- pardon, the reports -- just keep coming from those former Destructoid people:

quote:

As others already said, it’s a hybrid console with detachable controllers that have a split D-Pad, A, B, X, Y, and a camera / share button. However, something I believe none of them have mentioned is the size of the current dev kit.
It’s slightly thicker than the Nintendo 3DS XL when folded, so 25 mm, with a width of around 281 mm and a height of 92 mm with the controllers attached. Separated, the controllers have the same depth and height, and they both have a width of 38 mm, making the console itself have a width of 205 mm.
I’ve made a picture detailing where the TV port, headphone port, SD Card port, power button and cartridge port can be found.

One final thing I thought I should discuss is how the controllers connect. They’re both held by the console via a hole in each side of the system where the controllers can connect to. It sort of looks like this.

To take it out, there’s a button on the back of each controller that lowers the center spike that keeps it in place, making it eject from the system.

quote:

We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.

:eyepop: Region-free is all I want from the Nintendo NX videogame portable hybrid thingy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kashuno posted:

it's a devkit of course it's region free

Let me have my moment of happiness and hope. Just for a little longer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I'm gonna be playing so many Taiko Drum Master games! :holy:

A man of fine tastes. :hfive:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I did, I did say "wow" out loud.

I'll keep pressing that forbidden fifth button all day long and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cool boombox, brother.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

NX stands for "Newell Xperience", it's the codename for the newest Steambox. Nintendo went full on PC development. Expect all the Dota kids to be throwing slurs via voice chat when playing Splatoon 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

But who knows, they may have to charge 300 for the thing.

That would be suicide for something multiple sources claim it's supposed to be a mass target, casual audience device. Even $250 would be pushing it.

No glasses 3D didn't sell the 3DS for $250 and detachable controls are not going to sell the NX for $250 either.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://fat.gfycat.com/BareIdenticalCopperhead.webm

Videogaming, but portable, the NX.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

greatn posted:

So I follow Krysta Yang on twitter, from Nintendo minute, and just noticed she's on vacation in Italy for two weeks. I feel like if they were going to announce NX they would have a Nintendo minute video soon afterward. But with the host on vacation they wouldn't be making one anytime soon. Though I guess it could be prerecorded already.

I like Nintendo Minute too, but I think you are overestimating its importance in the larger scheme of things.

Unless this was a joke that just flew over my head.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Tengames posted:

Unless.....

No... no! They wouldn't! They couldn't!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

paco650 posted:

so what does it look like?

paco650 posted:

anyone got specs?

Nvidia's Tegra X1, which works both as a GPU and an ARM CPU.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's foldable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are you suggesting that big square screen is in that smaller circle somehow?

Well, yeah, that's what foldable means. Nintendo understands that the clamshell design was pretty important for kids, so they thought of the next big thing and here we are.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Now take away the stick.

But I really like the included Hori stick. It's awesome for fighting games and shmups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ka0 posted:

So when is the AmiiBox 360 out for real.

March 2017. A statement from Nintendo itself. I don't understand why people are confused about this.

• Locked thread