Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's the Final Countdown!

Hey everyone, noted Nintendo™ shill Jonas Albrecht here to fill you in on the details of Nintendo™'s newest console, the Nintendo™ Switch™!

The Basics

The Switch is the successor to the Wii U. It's a console/handheld hybrid that you can play on the go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI
Great for neglecting pets in public and alienating friends at rooftop parties.
It's $299.99
Has a battery life on the go of 2-6 hours depending on what game you're playing.
No Region Locking.
Has a capacitive touch screen.
Uses microSD cards.

The Controller
Or should I say controllers...
The main controller for the Switch are the Joy Cons.

These are multiconfiguration controllers capable of being used as a standard controller, as individual controllers each, or in a wiimote-esque fashion. They've got a wide variety of features listed here.
Separate Joy Cons are $90.

There's also a pro controller. It's $70, has gyro controls, an NFC reader, and I can't find a good article about it.

The Games
At launch, the Switch will have five games available:

1-2-Switch A party game that makes extensive use of the Joy-Con's haptic feedback.

Just Dance 2017 You just dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Abk1jAONjw

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Definitely the crown jewel of the Switch's lineup, I JUST WANT TO loving PLAY IT ALREADY.

Skylanders: Imaginators A toys to life game from Activision. More info here.

Super Bomberman R Holy poo poo, Bomberman is back!
http://kotaku.com/whos-excited-about-the-return-of-bomberman-1791166181

March/Spring games
Arms (Spring 2017)
Has-Been Heroes (March 2017)
I Am Setsuna (March 2017)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 28)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Spring 2017)
Snipperclips, Cut It Out Together (March 2017)

Summer
Rime
Splatoon 2

Beyond
Disgaea 5 Complete (TBD)
Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (2017)
FIFA (2017)
Fire Emblem Warriors (TBD)
Minecraft (2017)
Minecraft: Story Mode (TBD)
Rayman Legends (TBD)
NBA 2K (2017)
New Shin Megami Tensei (TBD)
Skylanders Imaginators (TBD)
Skyrim (Fall 2017)
Sonic Mania (2017)
Steep (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (Holiday 2017) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih323XXu_3w
Syberia 3 (TBD)
Ultra Street Fighter II (2017)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017)

FAQs
Q: Is online really going to a paid model?
Yep, Nintendo will be offering free online service until October, when it will switch to paid service. Price details are currently unknown.

Q: Should I get a Switch at launch?
In my opinion,no. Unless you missed out on the Wii U and want to play Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart or Splatoon, you're better off just waiting for the holiday season, where a price drop/bundle is likely. I preordered one, but I spend a lot of time away from home with plenty of downtime during the week. Plus I've never been able to buy a console at launch and wanted to treat myself.

Yo it's ya boy Rusty!

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

It's not the controller. I'm prepared to wager on this.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I forgot something actually true about the NX.

http://www.ecumenicalnews.com/article/nintendo-nx-specs-rumors-nx-can-sync-with-bluetooth-has-power-comparable-to-xbox-one/39275.htm

Nintendo's operating system for the console will NOT be Android as previously rumored, but a proprietary OS called... NintendOS.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

But this isn't the Wii U thread. :confused:

I should probably make a new one, considering the mods aren't unlocking the last one. Guess I'll have to ask first, though.

FAU said it was just taking a break.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, but I say "wow" all the time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sony's going to become a lowrent VR box. Microsoft is going to shift to PCs.

Nintendo will be the last console... before packing it in to become an IP farm.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

CrashCat posted:

So... because VR exists the Playstation will just stop having normal TV games?

Actually, joking aside it seems like Sony's initial VR offerings may be Normal TV Games, but with the TV being on your face.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Both the Wii U and Xbox One are commercial failures, in what way is there competition for Sony?

Nintendo is about to unleash a console that will kick Sony's dick off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ahahahahaha

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Nintendo left the console war to take part in the handheld war it won.

If phones have indeed doomed the handheld market, at least Nintendo managed to own it for the entire run.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The only thing I'd call a sure bet is Zelda Wii U/NX.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

How dare you change the greatest thread title of all time.

E:vvvv No argument there.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 25, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Speaking of, does anyone have a link to the Xbox meltdown thread?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

That's the one, thank you.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/03/25/why-didnt-nintendo-itself-tell-us-those-nx-controller-images-were-fake/#3a6602fe1e56

Paul Tassi is an idiot, as the Wii U thread regulars already know.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wish it were June already.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stux posted:

im mad that nintendo arent already dead. thankfully they have securded their own fate. RIP

Stux, I'm going to find a wizard and have him magically tie your fate to Nintendo's.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

If it's as powerful as 50 Wii Us, Imma weep tears of joy.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

the gameboy advance and the ds were cool but I dislike the grand majority of nintendo's home console output.

In all seriousness, I wonder if there are people, aside from extremely casual gamers, whose entire experience with Nintendo has been via their handhelds.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I wonder the same thing but for Sega.

Maybe. I believe they made at least one follow up to the paper tiger that was the Game Gear.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Nomad. Should've called it the Nobad

I can't believe I forgot about the Nomad. Sega beat Nintendo to the 16-bit handheld by 4 years, and it still bombed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

The Nomad ruled

It was the original Wii U gamepad

Did it? I know it sold poorly, but that's not always related to quality.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Who could have predicted that this thread about an upcoming console that no details have been released for would turn out to be a lovely thread

If we only knew...

To be fair, the intent was to keep this stuff out of the Wii U thread.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

The big problem with the Nomad, aside from it having a battery life of maybe two hours at best (I don't even have a battery pack for the Nomad, I just use the AC adapter because it's not like I'm ever taking this gigantic brick out of the house), is the fact it's really particular about playing the cartridges and likes to lock up unless you hold it perfectly still at all times and don't press the buttons too hard.

That seems like a really weird flaw for a cartridge based system.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The French Army! posted:

Who wants to try and guess what fundamental design flaw this console will have? They haven't designed good hardware since the SNES.

I bet Nintendo still isn't smart enough to use PC hardware like Sony and Microsoft. And you just know the ancient husks in the board room in Japan are still weary of these newfangled online multiplayer games.

I think Splatoon's success will be enough to mollify that weariness.

I would say the flaw will be power again, but those cluster console rumors make this interesting.

Whoever said that ignoring anymore controller rumors is a good idea was right, but I can't help but still find the "2DS meets Samsung design" rumor interesting. If that is the case, people might take one look at it and roll their eyes at "The Wii U 2".

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cowman posted:

I want a WiiU and will probably get the NX because Nintendo makes fun games that I enjoy.

I can't recommend the Wii U enough. It has been a blast.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

nerd_of_prey posted:

My concern is that if they do try and merge the handheld market with the home console market it will destroy both. I love Nintendo handhelds, the 3DS has developed into something great over its lifespan, but their consoles are very hit and miss!

I totally agree that I don't want to see the handheld market go away, but I think Nintendo feels the same way. The NX is likely a response to the shrinking market. An attempt to push their handhelds outside the realm of what phones are doing by giving players access to a console library.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Remember when Soul Calibur had Link

Who did Playstation and Xbox get for their bonus characters?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My condolences, Xbox havers.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

I would rather play Halo online with my buddies than loving Double Dash or whatever actually.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a shooter instead of racing too.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm still a bit sad that DK Mountain didn't make it into 8.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

If the only time you're allowed to make a judgement call on media is by personally experiencing it firsthand for an arbitrary length of time then I hope you've never ever decided something wasn't worth your time. After all, how would you know unless you experienced it yourself????

Naw. But what didn't you like about Double Dash?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

It's gimmicky bullshit.

How so?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mods, can you give this thread a slightly more NX focused title?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Adding an extra character to your vehicle does not deepen or enhance the base experience of Mario Kart in any significant way, as evidenced by the fact that it was removed in the sequel.

I would disagree insofar as the two player co-op races were very fun. Letting my copilot handle items so I could focus on driving, and vice versa, made for a different kind of game than usual. And the two racer feature didn't hurt the game design at all. Double Dash has some of the best MK tracks ever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Well that's fine, so long as you don't call it "the best racing game ever made".

I don't really go for absolutes in games.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

The funny thing is that they're going to bring back the double dash gimmick for the new Star Fox game that's coming out soon, except the non-driver player uses the gamepad so they have full control over their camera.

I'm really looking forward to that mode.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

how is nintendo still around

Quality 1st party games, dominance of the handheld market, strongest IPs in gaming.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

so "inertia"

I don't think you can attribute any of that to inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No real news for the NX, but Kimishima basically confirmed a 2016 release in a recent interview.

http://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-nx-specs-price-release-date-rumors/

Mods, please give this thread an NX title again.

• Locked thread