Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If the NX lacks an optical drive, then that means there isn't going to be backward compatibility with the Wii U. Which I think is a shame, especially because Nintendo was so good about BC these past few gens, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

I hope the NX hybrid console/portable rumor is true, because being able to play Monster Hunter when I'm on business trips or otherwise not at home is the poo poo, and all the haters who think it "belongs on the playstation" can fuckin eat me. Playstation already has like... every other game in that genre, instead.

Don't they have every other game in that genre because Monster Hunter is no longer on Sony consoles?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Meldonox posted:

God loving drat. I can't see myself playing it anytime soon since it's too loving hot to leave the house just to find imaginary critters, but they've obviously tapped into something. Every single person I know is playing it.

I'm not sure what this means for their future project, but I'll miss my 3DS and I really, really hope this doesn't mean they'll want me to play games on my lovely phone to get my handheld fix in the future. Hell, I still have bittersweet memories of my treasured GBA SP living in my pocket all through my senior year of college in case I got a few spare minutes in the day. It's the one piece of portable hardware I don't want merged into my smartphone.

I think this will, at most, make Nintendo soften their stance to licensing their properties out for smartphone use. I find it highly unlikely they're going to abandon the handheld market, because they own the handheld market. Plus, I remain of the opinion that the majority of phone games are good for killing a few minutes in line or on the toilet, but are generally not something you'd want to play for extended periods for its own sake. (Yes, there's good phone games, but how many Candy Crush clones are you willing to slog through to find them?)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I doubt Nintendo's going to make some super-versatile tablet thing. I suspect that it's going to be like their other offerings: sure, it can do that other stuff, but it is first and foremost a game machine because "a game machine" is what people bought it for. The PS3 made a big deal about being a multimedia entertainment hub for the entire family and it didn't do very well, and the Bone made the same mistakes. Nintendo, meanwhile, is the company that explained the Wii not being able to play DVDs with (and I paraphrase) "we don't want to pay the DVD licensing fee, and you probably already have a shitload of devices capable of playing DVDs, do you really need another?"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I have heard it described as not building an emulator for the N64, but as an emulator for a specific N64 game. And if it runs other stuff, bonus!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I carry two, plus a battery for my phone, a coin purse, loose change, a nail clipper, a Swiss army knife, folding scissors, and some dice. And that's just in one pocket (the other is a wallet, Vita, deck of cards, and microfiber cloth). Maybe you just need to find the right pants.

Okay, sometimes it looks like I'm wearing jodhpurs but that's the price you pay for having all of your poo poo at hand all the time.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Relaxed fit Wrangler jeans. I can get all that in there, but it can get a little tight, and they do stick out a bit just because of the bulk.

All of the talk of pants does seem like a bit of a tangent, but if you can't cleanly fit a portable in your pocket, I don't think it's very portable at all.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

So on the one hand, I'm impressed that "here's what's in my pockets" started off a tangent that went on this long. On the other hand, poo poo, it's not like we have anything concrete to talk about for the NX. I think they're going to actually talk about it at Tokyo Game Show, right? That's September 15th.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Sort of like how they don't technically do E3, but they release stuff around that time with the Treehouses?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

At this point I just think it's funny that everybody pounced on the coin purse so hard that nobody noticed "two 3DSes." Maybe because it was just assumed that it's an American one and a Japanese one? Which is the case, of course, but still, I thought someone would've asked about that part, at least. Iwata said, and I summarize, "region locking was a mistake because it doesn't actually help the customer," so I'm hoping the NX isn't region locked.

But if you must know, the coin purse is to hold pennies because I want to keep them away from the other coins. If I need some pennies, I don't want to have to rifle through quarters, and vice versa. And I only have four or five other coins, usually, and I can and do spend those. Pennies are a bit harder to get rid of, and there's more of them because I use them as counters in card games. It's not one of those old lady style coin purses with the clasp, it's one of those squeezy deals and it doesn't carry all that much. I have it because one of my uncles gave it to me so I figured eh, gently caress it, why not. I only have three dice, which isn't enough for a bag, and I carry them mostly because gently caress it why not, with a dose of habit on top. They're pretty small d6es, after all, and don't take up much room.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sure but aren't you supposed to be able to clip both pieces together into one controller while the base unit sits in the dock for tv play? How would that work?

Assuming what we've heard so far about the controller is accurate, my guess is that the way it works is that when the controllers are attached, they use this point-blank method, to save on battery life, and because actual contacts can corrode or be a point of failure or some other reason. When the controllers are detached from the main unit and hooked together, then they switch over to something that has more range but more drain.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Do we have any of the pictures of the speculative controllers for the Revolution and whatever the gently caress the Wii U's code name was? It'd be interesting to compare those to the final product.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Instant Sunrise posted:

hdmi-cec is nice when it works but it can be really finicky across manufacturers

i use a logitech harmony remote though, that's really nice to have

I have the same issue. My PS3 and PS4 talk to the TV, to the point that if my TV is on their inputs it turns on the console. Which is handy, but it can be a pain in the rear end, because if I left my TV on those inputs (or accidentally switch to them), then my TV turns on, which turns on the consoles, and once they wake up enough they take over the TV's input. So I have to wait for everything to boot fully, shut it down, and then switch it over to whatever it was I wanted. The Wii U, on the other hand, can't even figure out the HDMI switcher.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Sega did this in the 90s

It did not go well

e: beaten like the Saturn

Didn't it crash and burn when Sega did it because "surprise, it's out RIGHT NOW" was also sprung on people like "retailers" and "game developers" who really should not have this poo poo sprung on them?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Wii U suffered from a launch drought too, which is why Nintendo is being very clear with the "no really, we'll have games for it this time, we promise" thing.

The cause here was different, though. Sega sprung the Saturn on people, Nintendo rushed the Wii U out the door to get a jump on the competition that they immediately squandered due to the lack of software.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

With the caveat that this is all probably bullshit because the original source is a 4chan rumor, apparently the NX's real name is the "Nintendo Focus," and it will be announced on September 21. I got it from a video which YouTube decided to recommend to me on the basis of "I clicked on a video about Nintendo once at some point."

If you find the video's, uh, enthusiasm to be offputting, then here's what he said, which I will reiterate is probably bullshit, but gently caress it, it's not like we have any real news to go on anyway.

• The Nintendo NX will be the Nintendo Focus.
  • It will be revealed on September 21, 2016.
  • It will launch March 10, 2017.
  • Launch titles include Breath of the Wild, Smash Brothers Focus (Wii U/3DS version with all DLC, plus Shovel Knight as DLC), Super Smash Brothers Melee HD, Pokemon Gold/Silver on VC, F-Zero 2.
  • Launch window: Super Mario Brothers Focus, Animal Crossing: Election Year, Pikmen 4, Pokemon Sun/Moon (ported from 3DS but "taking advantage of Focus features"), and a new IP called "Pileow" from Goodfeel.

Most of that is just "could be real, could be fake," but the "Melee HD" is what makes me push it into bullshit territory. Which is where it started because it came from 4chan, but still. I suspect that Nintendo will announce it during the Tokyo Game Show, which runs from the 15th to the 18th. The 21st would put it a few days after it all ends, and I don't think they'd do that.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't know, I thought the Wii's marketing campaign with the "Wii would like to play" stuff was pretty clever.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Martinpale posted:

The biggest problem is, when Nintendo does 'original', you end up with 'what the gently caress is a WiiU? Is it a controller for the Wii?'

It doesn't have to be 'GO', but the name has to clearly say what the system is, especially after all the WiiU marketing confusion. 'Playstation 4 is the 4th Playstation.' 'Nintendo DS has Dual Screens' and so on.

I think the Wii U was just a uniquely terrible mis-step in advertising. They emphasized the controller, barely showed the actual console, chose poor examples for what the new system can do (kinda hard to see a graphical difference in Mario generations with the way the commercial was shot and all that), and to top it all off the name Wii U fits the same pattern as the various accessories (Wii Balance Board, Wii Remote, et cetera), all of which added up to exactly the sort of "so it's just a new controller, then?" confusion that you describe.

I'm not saying Nintendo can't or won't gently caress up like that with the NX, but I am reasonably sure they learned their lesson and will not make the same mistakes this time. They already learned from their "rush it out the door, then have no games for the first year" gently caress up. Even if the new name does not adequately convey what it is, it will hopefully at least convey "this is a new system, not an add-on to an old one."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Wired throws a "hey, turn off your adblocker or pay us, you leech" thing in my face when I go there. The fact that I did does not prevent this, so I had to open it in another browser entirely.

Anyway, the article makes a decent point about the Scorpio and Neo, but doesn't mention that Nintendo already did exactly this with the New 3DS, and ran into a problem: how do you make sure the new hardware is worth it? You need to talk developers into supporting the new hardware, and "good enough that people want to upgrade to the new shiny" may be money they're unable or unwilling to spend. Plus there's the issue of games that don't technically require the new hardware, but in practice are a complete pain in the rear end (lookin' at you, Hyrule Warriors Legends).

It also doesn't mention why Nintendo is giving up on backwards compatibility: they're changing architecture completely, there's nowhere to stick the Wii U discs, and the Wii U was a commercial failure so it's barely worth trying to hold on to that install base anyway. But I guess that's beside the point.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

Having break-off controllers is a messier solution than the following:
  • A separate, full-featured, ergonomic controller (which the system will definitely have for multiplayer's sake)
  • Using the handset itself as a controller while it's linked to the TV, ala the Wii U Gamepad (this depends on how the docking system is designed and where the power/HDMI cables connect, but seems like it would be easier to engineer than the wacky disassembly stuff)

Using the handset as a controller only works if the NX is just passing information along. If the dock contains extra processing power, then I don't think that would work.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

We're talking about the company that would make 10 million dollars if they just released untouched ROMs of their Pokemon collection onto the App Store, but they just don't do it because I guess nobody over there thought of it yet? I'm not really sure. It's guaranteed money. Also whoever thought of friend codes should be shot.

Friend codes get a ton of poo poo, but I think the only part of it that's deserved is needing a friend code per-game, and not per-system. A twelve digit number is less memorable than a name you've chosen, sure, but once it's entered, that's basically it. At least for Wii U/3DS, the implementation was poo poo on Wii/DS where codes were per-game.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Ah, right. It's been a dog's age since I had to mess with it. But my point about "per system, not per game" stands.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

I had a weird dream that Waluigi was confirmed to be given his own game for the nx and it was a waluigi version of wall street kid

So it was waluigi street kid basically

I would play this.

As for the alleged Nintendo thing from that German site, we did get a video from Nintendo, but it's just a thing about Pokemon (which you can see here if you want, 2:48 long). The day isn't over yet, so the chance of an NX reveal still exists, but I don't think it's going to happen. I've seen around September 15th as a reveal date too, but that was from a Wall Street Journal article that was mostly about the fact that the NX is going to use cartridges, which we've known for a while now, and just says in the relevant paragraph (emphasis mine):

quote:

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment on whether the NX would use cartridges. The company has been tight-lipped about the system beyond saying that it would be unveiled by the end of this year. Analysts have said an announcement could come ahead of the Tokyo Game Show, which begins Sept. 15.

It doesn't say who these analysts are, of course, and for all we know it could be Michael Pachter, The Man Who Is Always Wrong About Everything.

If you can't read the article because of paywalls or whatever, the article is just "Nintendo is going to use cartridges" and then background information that, if you give enough fucks to actually read a thread about Nintendo consoles, you already know.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The short version of the Sony press conference is as follows:

The PS4 Slim is going to be the new standard model. It launches September 15, and will cost 300 dollars.

The PS4 Pro is the official name for their beefier PS4. It has more power. It launches November 10 and will cost 400 dollars. It will be better for doing PS VR stuff.

There was a lot of wankery over technical specs but it's not really relevant unless you have the right kind of TV, capable of 4k displays and HDR.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The entire presentation on the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro can be found here, but like Electromax said, it's pretty boring. The actual presentation is maybe an hour, and then it's them just talking to various game developers pushing their games and probably not saying anything of interest, I tuned out when they got to that point.

But like I said before, the relevant bits are "Slim is September 15 for 300, Pro is November 10 for 400," along with a lot of talk about how much more radical the Pro is.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If it's on the bottom, you can't rest it on a flat surface comfortably and evenly when using headphones.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

a.lo posted:

this grover muppet is stuck on my youtube suggestions now. drat.

If you look at your YouTube history, you can find the muppet video and remove it. Or delete your history entirely, or whatever. That should help.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I'm reminded of that dude who made a big deal about OH MAN, HUGE NEWS ABOUT THE WII, I'D LOVE TO TELL YOU BUT IT'S UNDER EMBARGO, STAY TUNED FOR MIDNIGHT WHEN I CAN FINALLY TELL YOU and then it turned out to just be "production of the Broadway processor for the Wii is proceeding as scheduled, the Wii will make its launch date with no problems."

I forget who it was, but I do remember he got fired over it. More as a "final straw" sort of deal than just that one incident, but still.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

sout posted:

The New 3DS never really ended up having much exclusive stuff, did it? I can only think of Xenoblade

The stuff I know off the top of my head is Xenoblade, Binding of Isaac Rebirth (maybe the base game too, I don't know), and some SNES games.

If you want to include stuff that technically runs on an old 3DS but is greatly improved by the power of the new model, I know you can add Hyrule Warriors Legends. I don't know what else, though, and since that's not a hard and fast thing, it's obviously going to be a little murkier.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Senran Kagura series moved to the Vita, I can't imagine it coming back to Nintendo with the NX unless Sony just lets the Vita die.

Did Xenogears not have boob sliders in the US release? Was it one of those deals where they rereleased it in Japan with a bunch of new stuff but didn't bother doing that in America?

The American version had no boob sliders. The boob sliders looked loving terrible anyway, because that was the only body slider and it didn't adjust anything else.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hey guys, do you like completely unverified rumors?

Neither do I, but since Nintendo is being tight-lipped it's all we have to go on. Courtesy of this Twitter account, we have some stuff with basically nothing to back it, but due to the lack of anything solid to talk about gently caress it here we go anyway.

According to this, which I will summarize because it strikes me as easier than linking individual tweets (especially if they vanish somehow), the official name of the handheld half is the "3DSwap." The big thing is "one ecosystem, two devices, three ways to play." No, what that means is not gone into. Some games will be a "forward" edition, which means you get a box with a Wii U disc and NX cartridge, the ones specifically mentioned being Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Brothers. Other launch window games are going to be a New Mario game, Metroid, Pokemon, Call of Duty, and a new flavor of Skylanders. Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 7, and a new Ace Attorney are also in the works, as well as two NX exclusive titles from Platinum. And apparently there's going to be some sort of connectivity and streaming between the home unit and handheld unit.

If this stuff about the NX unit and 3DSwap is accurate, I hope it's all included in one package, and not two things you have to buy separately. But that assumes any of this is accurate at all, and at this point, who knows?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's probably all horseshit, but since we don't have anything of substance to talk about, this is good a way to fill the time as any. v:v:v

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Those pictures were amazing. Like it's not even "here's what I can plausibly deny is the unit," it's just random bullshit. It's loving nothing.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The 3D was never required on any of the 3DS games, but that was a deliberate decision to make sure that if you can't use the 3D for whatever reason, the game would still be playable.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Hace posted:

Yeah the downfall of the Saturn wasn't shocking consumers, but also retailers. It shocked retailers so much that they told Sega to go gently caress themselves!

There's also the fact that this news didn't spread nearly as fast as it could today. If you wanted to know what happened at a major trade show, you'd have to wait a few weeks for the relevant magazines to get information out about it. If you didn't see a commercial on TV for it, you wouldn't know it's a thing. But if Nintendo rolled out a Direct tomorrow with "by the way, it's out TODAY" then I guarantee you that within 24 hours anybody who gave enough of a poo poo to want to buy one on launch would know about it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought Nintendo drew a distinction between "launch" and "launch window"?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It's not just the "costs a third more" part, it's also the "has mandatory detachable bits." If your kid loses the stylus, it's not a big deal, but losing a JoyCon, or heaven forbid both, is a disaster.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Nintendo is stuck in some weird mentality where they have to profit on everything. They know they will profit on however many they produced, but weren't certain they would profit if they made more. It's why they make gimped last generation consoles and sell them for as much as current gen PS/XB stuff. Gotta make a profit! Who cares if they would sell 5x more of each game by making a better system and selling at a loss. That does not compute.

I read an interview with Reggie a few years back where he addressed this. He said that the reason they focus on making a profit on hardware sales is because Nintendo is a gaming company, and not the gaming division of a giant conglomerate. If the PlayStation or XBox brands suddenly start losing money, Sony or Microsoft will still be fine because of all the other divisions they have to fall back on, but if Nintendo's video games aren't making them money, then they aren't making money.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

And you can't leave out the "weird and hard" stuff either. Minecraft doesn't tell you poo poo about how to do anything in-game, but "the game refuses to tell you anything about itself" just sticks out less when there's no clearly defined goal anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

sharrrk posted:

new super mario bros u ruled and i look forward to new super mario bros switch.

It's not that there's anything wrong with New Super Mario Brothers in and of itself, it's that if you want to show off that you've put out a new console, maybe don't use a game that's visually indistinguishable from a very similar game on your previous console.

Plus, as has been hammered on repeatedly, the marketing was so bad and focused so much on the controller that they forgot to mention the console itself, so people came away with the entirely reasonable conclusion that the Wii U was a new controller add-on for the Wii.

• Locked thread