Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Stux posted:

lets remember that nintendo's history in home consoles at this point is one of repeated mistakes and failures and any successes have come in spite of themselves.

the NES was fine, but it was also running unopposed. it had no other real competition in the home console space. but it was a fine console, it did well and nintendo marketed the thing intelligently in the US. this is literally the high point of nintendo home consoles. 62 million units sold.

the SNES was a nothing machine. it was literally a new NES. despite coming off of a generation that they had dominated, they somehow lost ground to the genesis of all things and ended up in a worse position than the generation before. already they have slipped. 50 million units sold, a drop from the NES, which itslelf isnt an issue, but the market for consoels grew at the same time. luckily for them sega was even dumber and self destructed in the following years.

next they made the dumbest loving move in the history of games and courted sony to make some dumb poo poo hybrid machine. this move was completely inexplicable. what was even more inexplicable was that after having put in so much work, they dropped sony, tried the same thing with phillips, then decided actually theyd just make their own console again. this move was akin to microsoft bailing out apple in how much it hosed them over, only somehow worse.

so they come out with the n64. it has a dumb controller, which will be a trend moving forward, it steals ideas from the sega 32x with expandable hardware (why?), it uses carts still despite them being gently caress dumb expensive and not worth it, it cant handle 3d well, the list of gently caress ups are endless. possibly the worst console they ever made on a purely technical level. along with this sony release a console, however they;re a new name in gaming, its their first real attempt at a console that will see release. this shouldnt have been a compeititon for the company that had revived a dead market in the US and was still the market leader. unfortuantely nitnendo is institutionally dumb: they sell 32 million units while the ps1 moves over 100 million, eclipsing everything theyve done in one go. all because nintendo hosed them over. good move. this is the foundation on which their future failure will be built.

next is the gamecube, probably their best attempt at a modern console. unfortunately despite actually having a technically solid console with a controller which isnt that stupid (its still pretty stupid) they failed to market it at all, they failed to get any proper software support and they failed to properly learn any lessons from the embaressment of the n64. they sell just over 20 million units while sony shifts 155 million ps2s. sony in two generations has completely and utterly taken the market from them.

then you get the wii. this shouldve been what saved them in the home console space. it had a dumb controller and gimmick, but it came at exactly the right time when people were open to it, and its implementation was great for attracting brand new gamers that no one had been able to get before. luckily these people havnt played nintendo games since the snes so their usual copy paste mario etc games sell. sony made a really dumb loving move with the ps3 and was fighting off the 360, giving nintendo a great chance to regain lost ground. unfortunately it turns out this was a complete accident, and sony arent as dumb as sega. despite selling around 100 million units and winning the generation, they had no plan or ideas for how to keep this influx of gamers on their platforms, while sony turned around the ps3 and grabbed second place. the wii succeeded in spite of nintendo and not because they expected it to.

this leads directly to the wii u, which has the worst marketing of anything ever made, leading people to think its dumb gimmick controller was just a wii add on. everyone who bought the wii moved to either sony, mobile or pc beacuse they forgot to leverage their new playerbase. they release it while everyone is anticipating the new sony and microsoft consoles which couldve been a masterstroke had they given it modern hardware and got proper third party support. unfortunately it was barely more powerful than the ps3/360 and more expensive than them, but no where near as powerful as what people were expecting from the new ps and xbox. compounded with that they forget that they need to actually make games for it and dont bother for two years. they move 10 million units, and by the time they start making games for it sony releases the ps4 which destroys it on every single level.

the NX will do exactly the same thing again. we already know it has a dumb gimmick (hybrid handheld console lmao), except this time the gimmick is "lets sacrifice our actually successful hardware to try and save our dead hardware". it'll have poo poo hardware, its alreayd been said it'll be around xbox levels, so it will be less powerful than an established console which is currently selling ridiculous numbers. it'll have no third party support despite the fact that they already know the market for their first party shovelware is around 10 million people. it will have some dumbshit name, probably one that confuses the general public, because apparently the only company in gaming able to simply pick a name and incredment numbers on it is sony. its coming out in a shortened time frame, much like the dreamcast did after the failure of the saturn. everything about it and nintendo themselves mean it will fail, and it will fail hard while taking down the DS brand with it. they cannot just make hardware no one buys forever, especially when their main competition is making a console that is profitable on every sale and more powerful, with better software, better support and better brand recognition. they will move to software, which they shouldve done after the n64 and finally die. namaste.

close this thread, its not needed anymore. put this post in the OP and pin the thread until the NX releases. RIP nintendo.

u mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Most people forget that Nintendo makes a decent amount of money licensing their IP to clothing manufacturers, toy lines, general advertisement, theme parks, things like that. Despite their dwindling console/handheld business, Nintendo also survives on whoring out their IP.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The 3DS had a rough first 6 months but was saved by the Mario Land 3D/Monster Hunter 3/Mario Kart 7 trifecta later that year, jacking up the installbase and basically resurrecting it from the dead.

Lady Naga posted:

Didn't the 3DS also have horrible pricing problems

Initially yeah, it was $250 on launch in the states. Nintendo dropped the price to $170 and threw in the Ambassador program as an apology for the price cut. That in conjunction with the three games I mentioned made it a viable handheld again.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
where's the fuckin trailer?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
-I can hide away in the bathroom for 20 minutes and play this while taking a poo poo
-I can play this at work while taking a poo poo.
-I can play this in bed while the kids sleep and poo poo in a diaper if I wanted to.
-I can play this in the car while the kids sleep, likely in their own poo poo, unabated.

all you single idiots with no kids don't understand the power this thing will have on fathers.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Endorph posted:

you should talk to your doctor if you're taking a 20 minute poo poo

insert jerky joke here.

Lol if you don't use the bathroom to get some time to yourself though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

jivjov posted:

You don't "have" to do anything.

wow real indepth response here.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

BreakAtmo posted:

The leakers who were right about everything else say it's absolutely a touchscreen.

Wasn't it insinuated at one point that Pokemon Go will be ported to it? If so, I don't see that game succumbing to non-touch screen controls.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

So Laura Kate Dale is reporting that Game is planning to sell entry level Switch at £199.99

Do we know what's defined by entry level Switch? Because I need all the other useless plastic poo poo day one so I can stuff them into plastic bins four years later and never touch them again.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

One would assume Switch, dock, and joycons(L, R, and Grip), AC adapter, HDMI cable.

That's what I assume too, but it insinuates that there are potentially two bundles being released? Wonder what the "advanced" level Switch is, then.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every single console launch has retailer bundles where they sell you the console, two games you want, three games you don't and a bunch of lovely third party accessories for a total savings of 20 dollars

I'm talking official bundles here ala WiiU 8GB and 32GB. The Wal-Mart bundle of Switch + Nyko Pro Controller + foam stand + MadCatz latex condom for Joycons + Madden 2014 Switch Edition doesn't count.

wicka posted:

there were rumors of one just being a bundle with a mario game and the other being a zelda bundle that includes the pro controller. that might be bullshit but it seems to make sense to sell it as base console/console+game/console+game+controller.

It makes a ton of sense to include a premium bundle or whatever with Zelda included.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

$249 sounds like a great price point for my Monster Hunter / Pokemon / Animal Crossing machine.

Quick reminder that the OG 3DS was released for $249 so having a home console/handheld hybrid released at $249 with a new Zelda game at launch and an almost guaranteed similar 3DS software future is extremely cool and good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently the two Switch SKUs are basically the same as the Wii U basic to Wii U black, i.e. the pricier one has more memory and a bundled game. We could hope it's the new Mario or Zelda or it's a minigame collection like Wii Sports and Nintendoland.

Nice, I'd be shocked if it was anything but Zelda. Seems like a no brainer.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Real hurthling! posted:

Im worried that devs will make those games in hd at extra expense and then realize they should put them out everywhere else instead of nintendo

Probably, but most 3DS games I've played were first party games anyway so I was mostly referring to that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Actually, nothing matters

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Miis aren't going anywhere, especially when you consider that Miiverse and Nintendo's mobile games are still a thing that uses them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I'm curious how the lack of Zelda during launch will affect first month sales, if at all. A new Mario at launch is nice but sorry NSMBU, while fun, wasn't revolutionary or unique enough to be worthwhile. I'll take Mario 64 clones all year long though.

I've never played Splatoon, how portable of a game would it be from a single player standpoint? If the switch can easily connect to wireless signals to get online then great, but it doesn't strike me as much of a friendly single player game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
The best Tetris game ever made is The New Tetris for the N64, both for the extremely cool music and the ability to turn 8x8 block combinations into bronze or silver cubes that garner you extra points. Easily my favorite puzzle game ever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Sun/Moon coming to switch was pretty obvious to me via the lack of 3D alone and Nintendo would be doing a disservice by not porting it to the Switch.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's bad about XCX

It fails to be Xenoblade Chronicles in every way except graphically and battle flow. Everything else about it is painfully generic, a missed opportunity, or just bad.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

I will not be buying any Nintendo Switch games from EA, Ubisoft, Activision, 2K Games, or Bethesda.

I will, and will immediately regret it a week later like I always do

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

lol

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Nice, piracy chat, good poo poo so far.

Very quick reminder that the Wii and DS were insanely easy to pirate, with some of the more popular games reaching the hundreds of thousands in raw downloads.

Whether or not that took away from a potential sale or not isn't the point but if I were Nintendo I'd be insanely conservative with protecting all my games from potential piracy too. They did well with the 3DS and firmware updates.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

elf help book posted:

Maybe you should stop being such a sanctimonious twat?

If I ever hear anybody in real life actually say sanctimonious I will turn around and walk away because that person is likely terrible to be around

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know but their page "What is amiibo" says "Get cool in-game extras with amiibo accessories. Just tap to score new characters, game modes, or other perks"

Cool so you're speaking out of your rear end, big surprise

Hint: it's usually just bonus items, random costumes and in rare cases, amiibo only game modes that are generally shallow and not worth anything.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

I wonder why they generated artificial scarcity for amiibo

Nintendo is really bad at judging demand and scaling appropriately to quickly restock shelves.

I'm guessing most of you don't remember how impossible it was to find a Wii and extra controllers for the first year it was released, followed by the Wii Fit balance boards.

I genuinely think Nintendo has a hard time setting up contracts for additional product runs.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

Nintendo has literally been making toys for a longer time than Disney. Ever heard of it being difficult to buy Pokemon games? Of course you haven't, because Nintendo didn't manufacture scarcity on those games.

Prove that Nintendo purposefully produce less product to artificially inflate demand.

It's okay, I'll wait.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

...they still have time to show that they just had no idea it was gonna be that big a deal and stock the poo poo out of some shelves.

I'd put down money on them just being stupid and underestimating demand but also potentially focusing production on the Switch more than anything.

I say that because once rare amiibo are now flooding store shelves in droves.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Great Joe posted:

I don't gotta prove poo poo. It's the oldest trick in the book and a huge part of why Black Fridays get so violent.

This is why we have a President Trump!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Will there even be the option to pre-order over Amazon or are Nintendo and Amazon still pissy with each other?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

They've seemingly made up? Pretty sure Amazon carries 3DSes now.

Amazon's always listed them but the orders are never fulfilled by Amazon proper, it's always through 3rd parties. Looks like that's still the case so don't expect the Switch to go up on Amazon for pre-order.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tomie knows me posted:

Amazon just sold an exclusive n3ds xl color. Sold and fufilled by Amazon. They've made up.

Link? I'm curious because all 3DS listings on there now defer to third parties, WiiU included..

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Phantasium posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Special-Green/dp/B01LYUA6OS/

You'll notice if you look at other sites the 3DS is sold out right now in most places, online at least. I checked default red/black on Target/Best Buy/Walmart and they're either sold out or absurdly priced. I imagine other places are like that as well.

That 3DS, just like all the others, are SOLD by Nintendo and not fulfilled by Amazon. Not sure what's not getting through here..

There's this white Wii U that's fulfilled by Amazon but not sold by Nintendo.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Tomie knows me posted:

Because it's out of stock. Here's the one I bought.

Nice, that's hopeful for the Switch then, but I still wouldn't bank on Amazon taking pre-orders. I'll be super surprised if they do.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
lol if it's cancelled for WiiU, people said they wouldn't cancel it but why wouldn't they? WiiU is basically a dead machine and releasing BOTW on it would usurp potential Switch sales.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Soul Glo posted:

Today I played FFXV, The Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Watch_Dogs 2

I'm stuck home with the flu ok

I also live at home with my parents

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

TheScott2K posted:

Let's all raise the quality of discussion by posting pictures of our poo poo

You just did

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
One of the sales reps on the field I work with just gave me a $500 award I can put toward Amazon gift cards so I better loving be able to pre-order the Switch on Amazon

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

bef posted:

The game looks and sounds like a turd

All the games are intensely boring and I don't get the love for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

greatn posted:

Here's 30 YouTube videos from shocked and outraged gamers pretending to understand what these specs mean, and here's 30 more videos explaining this is great from gamers pretending to know what these mean. And here's a video of a puppet being sad.

All the videos are consequently from GameXplain

• Locked thread