Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I'm actually pretty stoked on this thing. It sounds a little odd from all the rumors, but Nintendo can't really compete with Sony & Xbox in the powerful consoles market anymore and should do something different. I also have a good gaming computer if I really want the best of the best graphics - consoles will never come close to PC power. Ninty also does some pretty bad-rear end mobile stuff & combining all their development into one unit that can be both a home console & mobile console could help get a lot more titles out. The biggest hope I have is that they use the Tegra X2 instead of the rumors I've heard with the X1. Just would make it have a much longer shelf life and up the performance pretty incredibly (so I'd assume).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

JustJeff88 posted:

The way things are going these days, I would not surprised in the slightest if they went with the X1 and then, a year or two later, they came out with the NX+ that had an X2 and a few unique games. I have an original 3DS XL and like it very much, but I don't intend to upgrade to a "New" one. I also have a PS4, but I have no intention of upgrading to that incremental system either. This half-generation systems nonsense is starting to get on my plums.

Ya, I mean it's typical of Nintendo to go with the less power option but the reason I feel like it'll be the X2 is due to Breath of the Wild. They've said that Breath of the Wild will be the same experience on the NX & Wii U - graphically and all. I can't imagine the X1 could run Breath of the Wild to the same level as the Wii U but the X2 probably could pretty easily.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Man imagine if Zelda breath of the wild on WiiU is the actual high end definitive version while the NX version is the downgrade hahaha

Haha ya that would absolutely kill the NX in its tracks. It's one thing to be a slight upgrade graphically over the Wii U - it's another to release a console 4 years later that actually has worse graphics than the Wii U.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I think the x1 is more powerful than the wiiu though

Hmm according to this video comparing the X1 to the PS4 you could be right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XzIZWO1qdg

Still doesn't look that great though & I keep thinking how bad that's gonna look in 5 years too.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

I just want Nintendo to loving announce the thing already. So much speculation and not even an announcement of an announcement yet

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Nintendo, at the beginning of 2016.

"Okay so we've all agreed the new name is going to be the Neo Scorpio, right? No way in hell we need to change anything."

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Great Joe posted:

ok but uhhh

oh so direct "x" is better in every way than opengl, got it

And also, even though the X1 looks good on an old game like Resident Evil 5, it just won't keep up with newer games in the next 3 - 5 years and will run into the exact same problems as the Wii U did with 3rd party support. Another person above said that they think the NX will have a custom tegra processor so maybe like an X1.5 instead of going the full X2 route for cost savings. That would be at least a bit better for future proofing the console a bit. Just hope they don't go with an X1 stock.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

greatn posted:

I love sports and do not understand why anyone gives a poo poo about sports games. They suck.

Not all of them. Golf video games are the only way I actually have fun with golf haha and Madden can be fun with friends, but always gets old pretty quickly.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

they do care about third party games

its just that third party developers dropped out because "what?? game..pad? how do i..gently caress this"

That's at least what makes the NX more appealing to third parties - it's really just a normal console but mobile. You don't have to develop any crazy controller scheme for a gamepad or waggle sticks. All you have to do is develop a game normally and then people can play it mobile or on their TV. It makes things a lot easier for 3rd party developers - just gotta hope it has enough power for the future & buy-in from consumers.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

are we still speculating or did they reveal it??

Still speculating. They're never going to actually reveal the console. It's going to get released one day out of the blue as a RadioShack exclusive.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

Nintendo made some pretty good sports games
*looks wistfully at mario strikers*

I do miss when Nintendo had good sports games. Mario Tennis used to be super fun as well as Mario Golf. Also, even though technically not a sports game, it's a shame what Mario Party has become in recent years as that was one of my favorite 4 player games back in the day.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Dragon Quest XI confirmed for the NX.

https://youtu.be/5tpmme0249U

The top comment on that video says Unreal Engine 4 compatibility must be confirmed if that game is on the NX - is that true? Haven't read up on the new Dragon Quest so didn't know if it was Unreal 4.

If so, that might give us more of a clue into the graphics chip the NX might be using. Is the X1 capable of running Unreal 4 games?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Reading that Nvidia is supposedly set to announce the Tegra X2 today at the Hot Chips event. Will give us our first look into exactly how powerful it's gonna be and if Nintendo announces a direct shortly after, that may be a clue that it's in the NX

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Nintendo announced the WiiU using a GPU similar to the HD 4670 the same year AMD announced and released their HD 7XXX series GPUs.

Let me just hold onto hope that Nintendo will opt for the more powerful processor before they crush my dreams and announce a special Tegra processor that is actually half the power of the X1 with 500MB of RAM

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Great Joe posted:

NX, parking in a car near you

The NX is actually the revolution Nintendo was hoping for. It's a car-console where you can drive and play Zelda: Breath of the Wild ON your windshield! The car itself is on the level of Honda in terms of speed & performance while the graphics engine running inside the car is nearly the power of the PS4. Be able to game wherever you want!

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

spasticColon posted:

If Nintendo does this and when the NX inevitably crashes and burns I hope they just get out of the console/handheld business and only make games for PC and mobile.

Oh man the thought of Zelda with PC graphics is mind boggling.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

So it's almost the end of August and no mention of a Nintendo NX Direct event to announce it - is September announcement not likely to happen anymore?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

New system is Nintendo Direct NX Focus

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/08/26/nintendo-nx-detachable-controllers-will-reportedly-feature-motion-sensing-advanced-vibration

Not sure if posted yet. Not a super surprising rumor but I like it nonetheless.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Hi guys, looking forward to another week of NX rumors with no update at all from Nintendo since they will never announce the console?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

That looks absurdly uncomfortable.

It would be - if it looked similar to that they better have some grips on the back to make it more ergonomic. I also think the controls themselves are too minimal if the goal is to detach the controllers and operate them as Player 1 & Player 2 for multiplayer purposes.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

GOD drat IT NINTENDO JUST ANNOUNCE THE loving THINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Raserys posted:

The Fall of InFlames235: A Tragedy in Five Acts

Hahahaha I didn't realize how much I had been complaining here. Woops!

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Raserys posted:

i don't mean to throw shade, just thought the slow descent was funny

Haha no problem at all - I literally laughed out loud when I noticed that as well

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Hopefully that video is wrong about the battery life. A mobile console should be able to at least get 5 hours of battery life IMO and if this thing is around the 3 hour mark or whatever would be considered "pretty bad" that's gonna suck. Also, always figured it'd be below the PS4 in power but was hoping for it to be similar to the Xbox One in power so we'll see how that ends up shaking out.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope they reveal the NX soon and it's really good and reasonably priced and has a good launch lineup

I wanna hear what people think is "reasonably priced" for this console. Let's just assume the rumors are true and that its between a Wii U and PS4 power-wise, detachable controls, plugs into the TV to make it a regular console, etc - what would people want to pay for that? I have a feeling they'd need to keep it at $350 or below. And probably $299 would be the actual price.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Some German fansite claims there'll be a surprise NX direct on Tuesday. Probably BS but hey.

http://10do.de/News-Viewer-Home.110.0.html?&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=9956&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=5

Ya no way this happens. Would be cool tho

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

paco650 posted:

hey guys, new poster here

NX comes out in like, 6 months right? so what does it look like? anyone got specs?

We have no information. Come back in 10 years when they might actually announce this thing.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Splatoonx

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

Japanese analysts still think NX will be revealed next week, unless it isn't, I guess?

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/773875208914513921

I guess it's really possible whenever. Nintendo only gives notice about a direct within 24 - 48 hours of the direct typically. Hopefully the analysts are right about next week.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm placing my bet that Nintendo doesn't talk about the NX until 3 months after it's been released. When reporters bring it up before then, Reggie will just punch them in the throat and walk away.

At this point, this looks to be the most logical analysis I've seen to date.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Anidav posted:

Is a Tegra X1 enough to even compete with anything though? If what's said is true, they will have a console weaker than the Xbox One which is about to get Upgraded to Scorpio. Why would 3rd parties follow? It appears as though Nintendo is comfy in the Wii U situation?

No one knows what processor is in it yet. Could be the Tegra X2 which would make it compete actually very well with the graphics fidelity of upcoming consoles.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Rumor is the NX actually has an Nvidia Titan X in it with a core i7 processor. It will weigh 50 lbs but be sold as not only a gaming system but a way to be healthier since you can use it as a weight to lift at the gym.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Kashuno posted:

:chanpop:

click it

OMFG. OMFG. OMFG.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Reiley posted:

Just a little word from an insider... keep your eyes peeled tomorrow for some big news ;)

ITS HAPPENING FOLKS. GET READY. (jk I know its not really)

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Anidav posted:

I want it to happen though

Me too...me too.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

So nothing happened at the Gamestop thing today I'm guessing?

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Djarum posted:

I don't believe it has started yet. I doubt we would hear anything until after it let out anyway.

Thought it was 8AM today.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

Anidav posted:

My fantasy guess is
Tegra X2
6-8gb ram
720p screen, dock ups to 1080p60
Battery Life 5 hours
128gb cartridges
Launches with Smash Remake, Splatoon Remake, Zelda, NX Party/Warioware, Mario Kart 8 NX, New IP, Pokemon Sun Moon port, Dragon Quest X, Excite Boat.

Reality will be:

Tegra X1
2 gb ram
480p screen, dock ups to 720i/30fps
Battery life 3 hours
32gb cartridges
Launches with Breath of the Wild and HD remaster of Cooking Mama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

I'm gonna go create a fake twitter and use a couple photoshopped pictures to make everyone believe I know wtf I'm talking about and have insider NX info.

• Locked thread