Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If that controller is the real NX controller, Nintendo is hosed. Could you imagine the constant fingerprints all over that thing?

I said come in! posted:

Both the Wii U and Xbox One are commercial failures, in what way is there competition for Sony?

The poo poo Microsoft tried to pull prior to the Xbone release is what happens when a company thinks they don't have competition. The benefits we have from the PS4 launch is a result of competition. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Edit: Why the gently caress is this website correcting x b o n e into Xbox One?

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I want another console Monster Hunter game :smith:.

Zelda+Pikmin 4 would probably be enough for me to pick up an NX at launch. Preferably there would be another game or two I would be interested in as well. Prior to E3 I was leaning towards not getting an NX at launch, but Zelda won me over.

I also hope the rumors are true that they are moving away from discs, loading times should have died a long time ago.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 28, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Whatever the NX is, I bet it will have an rear end backwards online system.

Sony's online store recently turned to poo poo, as well as Steam in my opinion. Pretty sure Nintendo was the first to not poo poo on people in the midwest and east coast in the US with midnight releases. Miiverse is cool as gently caress.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

ddogflex posted:

2) How are midnight releases "making GBS threads on people in the midwest and east coast"? Because midnight PST isn't midnight MST/EST? Lol.

Yea, it's pretty loving dumb to do midnight releases at midnight on the west coast and 3am in the midwest and east coast.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If remote play is their big surprise they are hiding, RIP the NX.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

My only issue with Gone Home is I think the female was supposed to be a teenager, but the handwriting and contents of most of the notes felt like it came from a 10 year old.

I'm making a prediction that we won't get the NX until holiday 2017 and these comments lately are just to pander to their investors. That or the launch lineup is going to be as good as the 3DS was.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

It's hard for me to imagine Nintendo abandoning the 3DS if the NX is supposedly going to also be portable in some way. Maybe the 3DS acts as the gamepad for the NX which would be amazing if it weren't for the fact that the 3DS doesn't have two legit analogue sticks.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

NX news coming soon from websites... I call bullshit on this one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

As described, it sounds like this would be the death of the 2nd screen? As described, it sounds more like a handheld that can be hooked up and displayed on a TV which if that's what it takes to get Monster Hunter on a big screen again I'm ok with... but also sounds like less of a dedicated home console. I guess what I'm saying is it feels more like an evolution of the 3DS and the loss of the Wii/Wii U.

Microsoft and Sony are trying to kill console gaming with these mid generation console upgrades, I guess Nintendo is ahead of the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Talkc posted:

The main concern of course is the price.. If they do all this, they will charge through the teeth for it. Its still 300 motherfucking dollars for a wii-u, and 200 dollars for the NEW 3ds. If Nintendo dropped a handheld console hybrid more powerful than their current offering they are gonna charge 5-600 dollars for it which is a loving deal breaker.

There's no way this thing will cost more than $350, if I had to pull a number out of my rear end I would say $300.

Dexo posted:

Why would it be the Death of the Second Screen.

It could potentially mimic a WiiU when hooked into a TV With the controllers being connected to a screen and rendering whatever is on the gamepad on the portable part while the game is on the TV. And then when it's in portable mode it's just treated like playing WiiU gamepad with one screen.

I thought about that, when it's hooked up to a TV the portable screen could be the second screen but it doesn't make much sense if being used primarily as portable. I guess less impossible/death and more clunky if games are going to be made with a second screen but you don't get the second screen without navigating menus when playing it off the big screen.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 27, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Dexo posted:

Why not. It made just as little since for most Wii U games to be playable by themselves on the handheld tablet.

From a Wii U perspective I think you are right, probably not a huge deal. From a 3DS perspective it's just not always going to work.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Was just thinking the leaks specified detachable controllers and all reporting and speculation has been saying the handheld unit has detachable controllers, which would have a cool use case but frankly to me doesn't seem like it could possibly be ergonomic or practical. Wouldn't it make much more sense if the controllers detached from the base?

It certainly doesn't make sense from that picture in the article, but they did mention it was a mockup they made. The Wii U gamepad felt great in the hands, but the 3DS is an ergonomic nightmare so it's a coin toss if we are actually going to get something comfortable to play. "Detachable controllers" certainly doesn't make sense to my brain when thinking about ergonomics or something that doesn't make some serious concessions to standard controllers.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Emily and gaf were just sharing some article saying the price is lower than you'd think, really mass market.

It's almost certainly going to be more expensive than a N3DSXL, but if they go over the price of a PS4 I feel like a lot of people would balk at that price.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

The average gamer is already going to have at least one other way to play third party titles. I'm still not expecting much in those regards with the NX except for whatever Ubisoft does and the occasional Sonic game. Even if the NX was somehow on par with the PS4 and Bone, that doesn't mean third parties are going to put in the effort anyways.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Absolutely none of those take into consideration in any way how detachable controllers would work if that rumor is true... unless the controllers are going to be literal squares.

The only thing I can think of is you would need some sort of separator inbetween the controllers, but at that point why not just make the screen/guts detachable.

:psyduck:

Edit: I'm making the assumption here that each side of the controller is going to have an analogue stick of some sort. Having one of those in each hand with an appropriate amount of buttons just doesn't make sense, hence my assumption that these detachable controllers would have to combine in some way.

Edit2: It may very well be likely we just have another Wii U situation where there are going to be like 7 different control schemes and we may have to buy another pro controller.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 31, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

smell this posted:

it's almost halloween and still nothing on the NX

It depends how scummy they want to get, but if this thing replaces the 3DS we might not hear anything until after black friday or even Christmas.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Please don't quote s.i.r.e or stux

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm certainly not expecting Nintendo to go with the more advanced technology.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

If that is what Nintendo is really doing, they probably are not.

Honestly I don't think so, I think they are killing their home console and this happens to be a handheld you can connect to a TV.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

My ps4 turns my tv on and switches inputs itself

How does it do that???

I lost my TV remote in a move, so yea the Gamepad as an input changer was really handy.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Kashuno posted:

Discs for handhelds are in fact not cool

I feel like with the lack of information we've got a lot of people confused by what the NX is probably going to be. I'm pretty sure this sort of thing has happened before...

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo is a portable gaming first company now.

I feel like a lot of people still don't understand this. The cartridge rumor was really weird until I realized the NX is most likely just their next portable handheld that happens to hook up to a television. Which is also why I think the 3DS will be mostly dead after the NX launch. If people don't have a reason to move from the 3DS to the NX then it's probably dead in the water.

As far as it's power goes, I think the only thing probably certain is it will obviously be more powerful than the Wii U because it has to run the new Zelda at the very least.

I was watching a Monster Hunter streamer a while ago talk about how Monster Hunter won't even be on the NX because it's primarily a portable game. They really need to explain what the NX actually is. It's almost certainly not going to be a home console that competes with the PS4 or Bone.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

SRM posted:

I can't imagine Nintendo intentionally releasing a game that would specifically compete with another game at the same time. Releasing two Smash Brotherses is what puts that rumor into bullshit territory. Well, that and Nintendo ever releasing an F-Zero game again.

Yea this is why it's dumb, they aren't going to release two Smash Bros games. Also supposedly Pikmin 4 has been done forever, so why would it be a launch window game? I read this article like a week and a half ago, but thought it was bullshit.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

The Nintendo Nova

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I still think there's a chance they wait until after black Friday, got to sell those 3DS's before announcing it's successor.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I wouldn't mind a bigger device, but I'm also not playing it anywhere other than my home. Something the size of the Wii U gamepad would be perfect, just make the screen larger.

I also wouldn't care if motion controls and force feedback were dropped completely, but that's never happening.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

I still maintain strong doubts that The NX is going to disassemble. I can buy the idea of a portable that can dock for TV play, but this whole "break off like a kit kat bar" concept doesn't have any benefits I can discern.

Also lmao at the Gamecube layout on that mockup.

It certainly doesn't make any sense in how anyone has portrayed it in these mockups, what the hell are you supposed to do with those controllers when they detach? They aren't usable in any way like that.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

oddium posted:

is this real ?? no goofs please

It looks uncomfortable as gently caress to hold, could be legit.

BillmasterCozb posted:

I recall literally no rumors about that being a thing, and the whole "WiiU manufacturing is ending!" thing probably isn't true because why would they end manufacturing them before they've even officially announced the NX

The Wii U is dead. The NX is most likely the 3DS replacement. I guess we might have a better idea after this direct.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

BillmasterCozb posted:

I don't see why they'd replace the 3DS when the New 3DS was meant to replace the old 3DS. If anything, it'd be a better idea for them to start making use of the N3DS hardware instead of trying to make games compatible with the old 3DS (Hyrule Warriors and Metroid: Federation Force both come to mind) or just making the NX the New New 3DS

To be honest, I would be completely fine with another generation of games on the 3DS if they wanted to support it for another 3 years or so. I'm obviously just making assumptions from bits and pieces, but the NX is probably dead in the water if they are going to try to support 2 portable systems.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

If the specs and rough visual of that last rumor are true, my hands are already trembling in pain. Almost certainly going to have to buy a grip again.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm going to cut my hands to pieces on those corners.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

Where were you during the debacle?

Laughing at people who wanted over priced storage included instead of buying cheap external storage.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Maybe Emily Rogers IS the NX.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Signed, thanks friend.

I just want to know if this is the unreleased Pikmin game from the rumors, because a NX without a new proper Pikmin game will make me sad all day.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

lol if any of you think nintendo will anounce the NX this month. I still think they'll hold off as much as possible just because they know we want to know about it.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed people this month who somehow convinced themselves September is the month the NX gets officially announced.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm worried that with all the rumors flying around Nintendo's going to have a challenge explaining this thing to idiot customers who will undoubtedly mix rumors and truth.

People are already upset this portable device isn't going to have a 500gb hard drive.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Tengames posted:

Im starting to suspect it will be delayed, because while nintendo might be happy having a short time between announcement and launch I'm not sure the people making games for it would feel the same.

Same, I'm expecting a Nov 2017 release.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

3DS Pikmin is going to sell like poo poo and then Nintendo will assume we just don't want Pikmin at all anymore :smith:.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

what are the worst or most forgettable nintendo published retail wii u games?

amiibo festival?

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

There's no way I would announce whatever the NX is on the same day they announced the Wii U.

• Locked thread