Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Whatever the NX is, I bet it will have an rear end backwards online system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Patter Song posted:

Yeah, "cartridge" is rather misleading. They'd be glorified flashcards like the 3DS uses.

As for improvements in storage, just last week Samsung announced these babies:

A Blu-Ray can hold 50 GB.

and how many of those are cheaper to produce than blu ray disks?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sarmhan posted:

If the rumors about the final version using the 2X are true, this could be a really good device, as long as the price point isn't outrageous. If it's the 1X i'm not super optimistic about its future.

The price would be ridiculous if they were using a brand new chip. I mean, they have they have to include a screen as part of the console as well. The wii u gamepad cost quite a bit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

The touch screen is going to be that you connect any iPhone or Android device to it to use as a second screen and any features that require touch, calling it now.

Yea this seems really unlikely.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Trent posted:

Stupid from what perspective? Amiibos make bank for Nintendo. You know it's a business right, and also not designed to please you personally?

Also, I will defend the N64 controller until the end of time. The analog stick is trash, but that's an engineering problem that was mostly caused by Mario party and solved in the next gen. The three prong approach was obviously not adopted moving forward, but it was innovative in many ways that mattered. It was a great advancement for its time, though obviously far from perfect.

I really don't even think the wiiu controller needs defending, it's so good. If anything it shows Nintendo is naïve about third party effort, but Splatoon and Mario maker proved it's worth. Heck, even WWHD and pikmin3 made excellent use of it, and NSMBU boost mode is fun as hell

what great advancements did it have for it's time? just the analog stick I guess. but then the dualshock came out a year later which basically set the standard for modern controllers.

edit: the wii u controller is pretty silly too. the screen is worthless most of the time and it being good in a handful of games doesn't make up for that.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 9, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

InFlames235 posted:

Oh man the thought of Zelda with PC graphics is mind boggling.

but Dolphin already exists?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kashuno posted:

so much tech these days is like "Here is this new product, it's available tomorrow morning go hog wild" maybe nintendo is the first game company to do that

worked out great for sega

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

They're great... for casuals. heh.

Well of course they are casuals since they are playing FPS games on a console

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

the tiny detachable controllers are hilarious

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Zonekeeper posted:

Looks like no touch capability, so 3DS backwards compatibility seems to be out of the question. Still, it looks great.

oh? :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

whaley posted:

cartridges are cheaper to produce than blu-rays. it's funny seeing people try to argue from a position of us living in 1995

blu rays are still cheaper, but cartridges are definitely better for a portable system

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sinking belle posted:

lol I wonder how many months EA will spend supporting this thing

at least through the first holiday season. then all bets are off

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"powered by custom nVidia Tegra"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maple Leaf posted:

So I'm not seeing a disc drive on the tablet or the home dock. I wonder if backwards compatibility is a thing?

Pureauthor posted:

Does this thing have a touchscreen?

I hope it has a touchscreen.

doubt it because of no touchscreen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The TINIEST D-pad ever made

that's just their start/select button, right?

it's not an actual tiny dpad

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cooling is a bit noisy lmao

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phimosissy posted:

There sure are a lot of stupid posts in here today

i mean how much do you think itll cost? 250? 300?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Midnightghoul posted:

Imagine how much thinner the Switch would be if it used the industry standard Lightning port rather than the antique 3.5mm

:golfclap:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Not only is that not confirmed. Bethesda has even come out and said Skyrim may not even be coming to the NX and that Skyrim is just being used as a demo and an example of how Bethesda will be supporting the system in the future.

Bethesda weighs in:

quote:

Update 2: While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philip Rivers posted:

It had poor framerate because the dev kits run on a Tegra X1 whereas the release unit might have an X2 or at least an upgraded custom chip.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Philip Rivers posted:

The chipset thing is true though :ssh:

When has a console ever shipped with a devkit that is weaker than the console?

but also lol because the video was faked for the trailer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Super No Vacancy posted:

why are people buying this thing

Nostalgia is a helluva drug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So it's basically a Tegra X1.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

What were people expecting?

It's a portable console pretending to be a home one so Nintendo can say they're not dropping home consoles.

Some people were expecting a Tegra X2 because they are delusional.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just wait for the New Switch Pro XL that will be released in 2018 that will certainly have better specs

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Friends codes are the price you pay for free online.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

codenameFANGIO posted:

It is a million times better than Xbox hate thread wieners trying to snicker over hardware specs.

The Switch has the right type of RAM.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fhate posted:

My friends and I are all in our thirties and our parties sometimes involve video games. We're not a bunch of sad, unemployed basement dwellers either.

*citation needed

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

new rumors from laura saying that the battery life is longer than she first heard. 3 hours was for dev kits running in docked mode while not docked lol.

also says initial vc selection will be disappointing in scope and there are a few unannounced games that will be revealed on the 12th.

Now this is the most believable rumor

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Takoluka posted:

Mighty No. 9 is good.

Please don't troll

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

Related: the Retronauts podcast recently did an episode about the VC on account of the ten year anniversary of it's debut and man it really is nuts how not great it's been in retrospect. The worst part of consoles is having to rebuy digital games every five years. Be like steam and I will buy so many more games from you Nintendo!

Maybe this time Nintendo will have a proper account system

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jimmy Hats posted:

previously released amiibo will not be compatible with switch unless you pay a $2 upgrade fee

cmon don't be ridiculous

it would cost at least 5 dollars per amiibo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Switch doesn't care about politics, it just wants everyone not have to sacrifice triple A graphics for gameplay innovation(or vice versa), both at home and on the go.

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ahahahhahahahahahaha 300 dollars

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

300, they fuckd up

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ahahaha paid online

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

$300 is insane. How can they think anyone is going to pay more for it than a PS4?

nintendo lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

that battery life...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm confused, they said North America 299.99, does that mean that it will be 300bux Canadian and TrumpCoin? So that means Canadians aren't going to get screwed by price?

haha good one.

itll be 350 or 400 moose dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

thank you for explaining how the joycons work

• Locked thread