Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you kill someone in comicbookland they'll just come back a few months later with a new costume and stronger powers, almost guaranteed.

Counter-point:Spider-man's marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

achillesforever6 posted:

He's like the only I guy I like who can criticize the MCU without looking too pompous, though he takes a lot of potshots at the MCU (using them for examples for bad editing and bad cinematography) in his videos for some reason

film nerds are really mad that MCU is super popular and making All Of The Money.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Other posted:

Counter-point:Spider-man's marriage

Just wait, I bet someone cloned his marriage

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
It would be cool and good if there was just an internal memo at Marvel/DC that said "we're doing a soft line reboot in seven years. Until then, if you kill or maim somebody, they stay that way!" Some raised stakes and actual threat of mortal harm would do wonders for adding some pizazz to the whole thing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if you took a superhero like 'ant man' and had him team up with a superhero like 'aqua man'

i bet it might look something.... like this

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

film nerds are really mad that MCU is super popular and making All Of The Money.

I don't think they are actually.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
As someone who grew up in an age where "comic book movie" meant something like Steel, The Phantom or Batman and Robin I don't get anyone being mad at the MCU.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

readingatwork posted:

As someone who grew up in an age where "comic book movie" meant something like Steel, The Phantom or Batman and Robin I don't get anyone being mad at the MCU.

Yeah, the only people mad about Marvel seem to be concentrated in CineD. Normal (heh) film nerds usually seem to consider the MCU to be fun and competent though also fluffy and mostly safe.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

readingatwork posted:

Literal children who don't know how bad it used to be, and film snobs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

readingatwork posted:

The mid 90s were a dark time for superhero movies. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_superhero_films

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I tried having an actual conversation in cined but it went nowhere. maybe you guys can chime in on a good direction to take this:

My entire state of consciousness has been preoccupied with how to create a gritty live action Freakazoid for the past 48 hours. all spare mental resources get devoted to this task. Like maybe he gets infected by all social media so he's like a tumblr hitler social justice 9/11 parody video loving guy. Basically the embodiment of that prodromal schizophrenia post from fyad, but with a heart of gold. But how do you make that palatable to the mainstream? Or do you Deadpool it, and let some youtube guy go nuts with 50 mil? No because DC would ever allow an entire film to be made without the fingerprints of middle management all over it.

So he's cruising the """""dark web"""" searching out the dankest memes that havent caught on w/the mainstream internet yet, trump pepes back in 2014, new spurdos. But Zod takes over every screen on Earth doing his big speech when he calls out Kal El, and The guy gets caught in the deep cyber and transformed into Freakazoid. So the movie can start with a big white title screen:

9/11 x 1000 - THE WORLD IS INTRODUCED TO THE FREAKAZOID since it all takes place during the Metropolis destruction.

Just trying to nail down any sort of tone at all is an exercise in frustration. Mentally draining. I will figure it out though. What do u think? I think figuring out Freakazoid and how he works into the DCU will have a ripple effect for all their other properties. He is important, maybe the most important.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCSfRQ1ymM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bring back old gbs posted:

gritty live action Freakazoid

You dope, Freakazoid is part of the Animaniacs shared universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLrjVnMO7k

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You dope, Freakazoid is part of the Animaniacs shared universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLrjVnMO7k

Well you can't just have Animaniacs start showing up in Aquaman without establishing a wackier new direction. You dip your toe. That's why Freakazoid is the lynchpin of the entire extended universe, he bridges both worlds. Handle that correctly and Pesto Bobby and Squid can start working with Luthor to genocide the Hawk People and nobody will question it. Of course, you're thinking, how could Chicken Boo sit out an entire war against the Hawk People? He. Doesn't.

CHICKEN BOO is... CROSSROADS. IN THEATRES 2022

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 14, 2016

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I used to chat with SMG on Messenger all the time and I promise you he's the exact same person off-site as on.

Eventually he decided he just wanted to talk about how The Thing remake, Wrath of the Titans, Skyline and Battlefield LA were the greatest movies of the 21st Century. Like, he wouldn't stop talking about those 4 awful films. I think he blocked me when I wouldn't agree with him and wanted to talk about something other than terrible movies (I'd just had a baby).

He's a genuinely interesting guy but yeah, hosed up and doesn't really understand things that involve human emotions.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 14, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

frozenpeas posted:

I used to chat with SMG on Messenger all the time and I promise you he's the exact same person off-site as on..

Oh yeah that was obvious. Anyone who says he's a gimmick needs to consider how likely it is that someone either has that much time and brainpower to devote to lateral autistic thinking for years on end with no presumable reimbursement, versus living in that headspace naturally.

bring back old gbs posted:

Well you can't just have Animaniacs start showing up in Aquaman without establishing a wackier new direction. You dip your toe. That's why Freakazoid is the lynchpin of the entire extended universe, he bridges both worlds. Handle that correctly and Pesto Bobby and Squid can start working with Luthor to genocide the Hawk People and nobody will question it. Of course, you're thinking, how could Chicken Boo sit out an entire war against the Hawk People? He. Doesn't.

CHICKEN BOO is... CROSSROADS. IN THEATRES 2022

Well you've got me more interested than anything the WB/DC is actually doing, so

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

I used to chat with SMG on Messenger all the time and I promise you he's the exact same person off-site as on.

Eventually he decided he just wanted to talk about how The Thing remake, Wrath of the Titans, Skyline and Battlefield LA were the greatest movies of the 21st Century. Like, he wouldn't stop talking about those 4 awful films. I think he blocked me when I wouldn't agree with him and wanted to talk about something other than terrible movies (I'd just had a baby).

He's a genuinely interesting guy but yeah, hosed up and doesn't really understand things that involve human emotions.

The 80s carpenter remake? Or you mean the 'prequel' remake of Carpenter's remake?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

21st Century, so the "prequel/remake"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

The 80s carpenter remake? Or you mean the 'prequel' remake of Carpenter's remake?

Carpenter's film wasn't a remake of The Thing From Another World, it was a more faithful version of Who Goes There? updated to modern times. But that's beside the point, if someone's honestly defending that lovely CGI'd remake, they are worse than Hitler.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunswipe posted:

But that's beside the point, if someone's honestly defending that lovely CGI'd remake, they are worse than Hitler.

Which Hitler???

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Chip Hitler.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Which Hitler???

Every family has a black sheep, ok? Even I can admit that great uncle Addy was... a bit naughty. Let's just accept that and move on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sunswipe posted:

Carpenter's film wasn't a remake of The Thing From Another World, it was a more faithful version of Who Goes There? updated to modern times. But that's beside the point, if someone's honestly defending that lovely CGI'd remake, they are worse than Hitler.

I'll defend the prequel. :godwin:
The CGI is sometimes questionable but largely inoffensive, and it's more clever than people give it credit for, especially on a follow-up viewing where you know who's a Thing and you can see it getting all of its "chess pieces" and contingency plans in place at the start of the movie, and then watching how its attempts to escape or infect everyone play out.

The movie is hamstrung by severe studio meddling which is most apparent once the characters enter the crashed spaceship at the end, but by and large it's a perfectly fine prequel to the Carpenter movie. And I absolutely love the Carpenter movie, it's my #2 movie of all time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't hate the prequel on the grounds that the 1982 version is sacred, I think it's 100% superfluous. While the finished 2011 film isn't a trainwreck it does nothing to disabuse the notion that its 100% superfluous. I'm sure SMG has some weird interpretation where it's about Zimbabwe religion that totally justifies its existence.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can agree that it doesn't NEED to exist, but I really, really like the Thing as a movie monster (visually, conceptually, the works - I think it's more interesting to think and talk about than the Xenomorph, and this is me talking) so getting to see it run amok on the big screen in a new movie put a big smile on my face.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I respect that and on-paper don't disagree, but from my memory I just plain didn't see anything new or interesting about The Thing's behavior in the 2011 movie. I'd like to be wrong though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

I don't hate the prequel on the grounds that the 1982 version is sacred, I think it's 100% superfluous. While the finished 2011 film isn't a trainwreck it does nothing to disabuse the notion that its 100% superfluous. I'm sure SMG has some weird interpretation where it's about Zimbabwe religion that totally justifies its existence.

Pretty much this. I'd rather they'd done a big screen re-release of the original than this totally unneeded prequel/remake.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mind the walrus posted:

I respect that and on-paper don't disagree, but from my memory I just plain didn't see anything new or interesting about The Thing's behavior in the 2011 movie. I'd like to be wrong though.

Mostly you see the Thing reacting to a new species it knows nothing about (humans), and you see it try a bunch of different tactics to see what works. Unlike the first movie where people get infected over the course of the movie, the 2011 Thing infects all of its victims very early in the movie and then uses each of them in different ways. One tries to escape via helicopter, one tries brute force, one tries an ambush, and one just sits and waits as a contingency plan in case the others fail.

I've been giving serious thought to doing an effort-thread about the Carpenter movie (and the prequel) just because I love the Carpenter movie to death. I'm not sure if I'm better off posting it in CineD or GBS though. Like, I don't want the thread to be clogged with fart-sniffing Zizek metatextual bullshit, but I also don't want it to be non-stop threadshitting and/or just an endless chorus of people high-fiving each other over how awesome the Carpenter movie is and nothing more.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

Mostly you see the Thing reacting to a new species it knows nothing about (humans), and you see it try a bunch of different tactics to see what works. Unlike the first movie where people get infected over the course of the movie, the 2011 Thing infects all of its victims very early in the movie and then uses each of them in different ways. One tries to escape via helicopter, one tries brute force, one tries an ambush, and one just sits and waits as a contingency plan in case the others fail.

I've been giving serious thought to doing an effort-thread about the Carpenter movie (and the prequel) just because I love the Carpenter movie to death. I'm not sure if I'm better off posting it in CineD or GBS though. Like, I don't want the thread to be clogged with fart-sniffing Zizek metatextual bullshit, but I also don't want it to be non-stop threadshitting and/or just an endless chorus of people high-fiving each other over how awesome the Carpenter movie is and nothing more.

It's kind of poetic that the thread is doomed to be slowly infested and devoured wherever you put it and there's not a drat thing you can do to stop the horror other than burning the entire thing down to the ground.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't care for the Thing prequel. Apart from the bad design of the Things in the movie, it just wasn't very interesting. It wasn't very scary or suspensful and it had none of the atmosphere of the original

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

I didn't care for the Thing prequel. Apart from the bad design of the Things in the movie, it just wasn't very interesting. It wasn't very scary or suspensful and it had none of the atmosphere of the original

also the test for thing disease in the renmake prequel was so boring and only done bcz there was a test in teh first one

why bother making that scene if youre idea of suspense is open your mouth

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I get what you mean. It really didn't register to me because it was still the same basic narrative beats in a very similar setting with very similar characters. That's what makes it a bad movie in my opinion-- I was too disinterested by the mediocrity of everything else to even care.

Madcosby posted:

also the test for thing disease in the renmake prequel was so boring and only done bcz there was a test in teh first one

Or the axe "leave it in"... I mean really that's not some brilliant metatextual joke about bad remakes. It's bad writing. I could write why but I'm not getting paid to.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
thing prequel sucked because it did that thing where the writing is written in a certain way to lead you to certain conclusions and then SURPRISE! it's actually the OPPOSITE of what you were thinking was about to happen! but then what happens doesn't make any sense given what you've been seeing and is just a piss poor excuse for the writers to "subvert your expectations!"

that helicopter scene is a prime example.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The Thing prequel had female characters and thus is automatically inferior.

Sorry ladies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pitdragon posted:

thing prequel sucked because it did that thing where the writing is written in a certain way to lead you to certain conclusions and then SURPRISE! it's actually the OPPOSITE of what you were thinking was about to happen! but then what happens doesn't make any sense given what you've been seeing and is just a piss poor excuse for the writers to "subvert your expectations!"

that helicopter scene is a prime example.

The prequel shot itself in the foot by showing every Thing reveal in the trailers. Like, who thought that was a good idea?

Madcosby posted:

I dunno man, would you be willing to put your face right up next to someone's mouth if there's a very real possibility that their head could split open and they could transform into a fanged tentacle monster?

Like yeah, the scene isn't as good as the absolutely goddamn perfect blood test scene from the Carpenter movie, but I thought it was a fine substitute that's different enough from the blood test scene. Like, maybe people would have liked it more if there had been a violent "payoff" where someone did get wrecked while looking inside someone's mouth?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno man, would you be willing to put your face right up next to someone's mouth if there's a very real possibility that their head could split open and they could transform into a fanged tentacle monster?

Now you know what I feel like all the time

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
ALL THE TIME

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

some of the time?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I've seen and read "Parasyte". I ain't going to risk it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I've seen and read "Parasyte". I ain't going to risk it.

That's...does that dude cut thick sheets of steel with his jaws for a day job? That's a very clean decapitation, considering the angle and the toothy maw involved. poo poo didn't even tear, just a clean fuckin cut.

I wouldn't even be scared if I saw that, I'd just be like, "what the gently caress Phil? We talked about this! You have the bite strength of heavy duty industrial equipment so you got to remember to take it easy! What is this now, the third girl you've tried to make out with and WHOOPSIE NO HEAD? Don't even give me that 'I was nervous because of my fear of intimacy' bullshit. Your father left your mother and your mother died on you, grow up and get over it. Next time you're cleaning this up yourself. Now get me a beer and a bunch of garbage bags, ya lovable oval office!."

• Locked thread