Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Great Lakes Avengers or go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

The Canadian guys with the midget. Alpha something.

They had a gay as well I think so you know....diverse

Gen 13. They had a gay, a midget AND an Injun!

I assume you mean Alpha Flight.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

hitchensgoespop posted:

This nerd is correct.

The worst part is, I don't even read comic books more than once a year.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i bet you used to watch the cartoon though

Alpha Flight had a cartoon? I watched X-Men, The Tick and Batman: the one with the real Joker. Later on I watched DBZ and professional wrestling, which are pretty much the same thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

didnt they show up in the old 90s xmen cartoon? am i imagining that? i know about alpha flight too and im by no means a comics guy

My brother and a bunch of friends through the years were more into comics than me, so I just learned the lore second hand, like an ancient shaman.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm laughing at people waiting for an extended cut of BvS that will somehow fix things. A ruthless editor with that extra footage and a goal of a running time of no more than 105 minutes MIGHT be able to wizard a satisfying film from that garbage heap. Adding more poo poo is just making the problem worse.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 3, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sucker Punch was also a literal walk through the hero's journey checklist, which is telegraphed and lampshaded the entire way. The downer ending is, I assume, supposed to be the titular Sucker Punch.

E: as is the misogyny on display in what is ostensibly a female empowerment film.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm an underwater caveman! Technology frightens me!

He could have just had a whale swallow the loving thing or whatever.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Batman & Robin was a love letter to the goofy 60s Batman and other cheesy schlock and is actually an excellent superhero film. Everyone was just expecting more serious Batman stuff like the previous movies. Joel Schumacher knew what he was doing. :colbert:

Note that being an excellent superhero film does not necessarily make it a good film.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's a fun game: See how many nerds you can enrage by arguing that Batman's only "super power" (be sure to use airquotes if in a face to face conversation) is white privilege.

That's literally true though. That's why we love him. He's the hero waiting inside every one of us cis white male nerds.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, Bruce Wayne could single-handedly strangle out all of the organized crime in Gotham with his wealth AND end the systemic inequality that leads to the high overall crime rate by investing in community outreach, education and welfare. He chooses to bang models and beat up the brown poors instead. :911:

E: while dressed as a bat, using a spooky voice

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

So, Batman got his armor broken because he needs Jesus?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Laderhan posted:

Yeah, the scientist in in that movie literally says "This could be like Columbus and the Indians, only this time, we're the Indians".

There wouldn't likely be enough rape and hand severing for that analogy to work.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

courtesy of my 17 year old cousin on Facebook

he subtitled it with "the bias is real" lmao

I'd move up the Wonder Woman movie, too. Get that poo poo heap out the door while there's still a whisper of buzz, enthusiasm or good will left for the DC cinematic universe so you don't spend any more money on production and can make back what you can. Any DC film less than 2/3 in the can right this moment gets tossed on a fire and denied as the enthusiastic rumors of overzealous fans.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ChogsEnhour posted:

The report I heard made it sound like The Warriors with the eponymous squad trying to escape Gotham from the various gangs that are after them, including Joker... Which SOUNDS loving cool.

With such iconic characters as gun man, magic lady and lizard guy, even the most casual of DC fans are going to not want to miss this one!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Don't be silly, normal ladies can't help in fights.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Why was the titular Batman vs Superman fight held in a gay bathhouse with a flooded basement anyways?

Obviously the bathhouse setting was meant to underscore the homoerotic nature inherent in all superhero stories, where men in tights prefer to spend time grappling with one another above all else. The bathroom tiles and water pipes hint at steamy showers where struggling, slippery godmen could entwine in the nude like mighty Zeus intended. Batman beating his opponent in the face with a porcelain sink drives home the metaphor, displaying a desire to force his white butt-hole into Superman's greedy mouth.

Did I do CD right?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Frankly, an Amazon with both tits is a shameful Amazon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bats likes 'em thick. He only bangs models to keep up his secret identity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

There was briefly a DVD release of the original trilogy before the prequels were announced I think (though even that may have had some changes because Lucas has piddled around with certain sounds and stuff for years) so you can find bootlegs of that for sale or download some times.

E: There may have been a Laserdisc version at some point, too.

EE: But no, there is no legal way to purchase the original films other than second-hand at this point. Usually on VHS.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 10, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Immortan posted:

I've heard Lucas has even edited Hayden Christenson into ROTJ. :stare:

This is literally true. He passionately argued against this very thing much earlier in his career in a Senate hearing, since Turner had been buying up tons of old movies and colorizing them and editing them for content and not really keeping the original cuts around. He even warned that technology would allow someone to replace the original actors with younger, fresher faces, or change lines and alter the message and meaning of a scene or entire movie! Then he apparently made it his life's mission to do so. The only real difference is that he was the original license holder, whereas Turner was not, so apparently Lucas is fine with making GBS threads up your old stuff with endless tweaking, but not other people's stuff.

E: Beaten like a fridged wife.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

It was even more bizarre since he left old Obiwan in the scene. He makes CD seem like an oasis of good ideas.

I think that was changed eventually so it was Ewan McGreggor instead of Alec Guinness standing there with Hayden. It's actually hard to keep up with the loving changes.

E: Or I imagined it, but who could blame me at this point?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 10, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Superman is obviously losing his humanity as he didn't realize that he no longer had his mother on constant lock because he didn't want to hear another lecture or be reminded of his unnatural origins or whatever and he's only still attuned to Lois because he's porking her on the reg. That could make for an interesting character building moment and explain why Lex was able to kidnap Ma Kent.

E: obviously if Supes is struggling to be heroic in a bleak and broken world, the last thing he needs is another "gently caress them" speech from Ma.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 10, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Chickenfrogman posted:

CineD is so unreadably bad it makes D&D look good.

Let's not start saying crazy poo poo here. CineD is talking about dumb movies, not real world policy they'd like to implement.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What if Lex Jr is actually the Joker and the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad is actually Lex Jr who was kidnapped and tortured till crazy by the Joker? It would make Lex's actions in BvS less stupid by virtue of "a crazy man did it" and explain SS Joker's horrendous tattoos.

What if I'm right? BvS would still be a terrible movie, that's what.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rutibex posted:

i'd watch a Jubilee movie
:reject::respek::reject:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Zzulu posted:

My girlfriend is an MMA fighter. One time, we were fooling around and then she put her legs around my throat and choked me out. As I was fading, I finally understood david carradine and I got hard as a rock and just started cumming buckets everywhere right before passing out

Same, but from future me.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Harry Potter with young superheroes. Jubilee was my favorite X-Man on the cartoon because she wasn't an overpowered rear end in a top hat. She actually needed to be part of a team, you know?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

they aren't laser beams, they're beams of kinetic force. Basically he can punch anything he can see. It's a good power, but it's hardly overpowered
In the movies he looks at poo poo and laser beams come out and poo poo goes blooie. I don't care what the comics or the cartoon or the supplemental novel say about it, if it's not clear in the movie, it's not clear in the movie universe. Same thing for loving Star Wars or any other bullshit. I like the nerdy stuff, but I try to treat movies with surrounding garbage that 99% of the audience don't give a gently caress about as if I were my grandmother watching this poo poo. That's part of the reason B v S sucks so hard. There's so little context and establishment for every scene that it's just a jumbled mess of trailer shots and boring dialogue scenes.

Do the movies bring up any of this brother or ruby poo poo? I honestly don't remember.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ghost Head posted:

ok but all of this makes it sounds like there are all of about 2 problems he can't just immediately solve. Anything not involving his brother or ruby is going to get looked-at to death

He's got the problem that he can't stop himself from being an intolerable jerk and that he can't seem to bring himself to wear a nerd strap or full-on goggles for the safety of others.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's still poo poo because it was told terribly in the movie. If anything, that wall of pictures with superimposed text is far more compelling than the work it is trying to defend. Which is pretty funny.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Just in case anyone has kept track, BvS has surpassed $800 million worldwide, but is also projected to be 4th in the box office this weekend, getting knocked out by Favreau's The Jungle Book, Barbershop: The Next Cut, and a continuous trouncing by The Boss.

So at this point they've barely broken even, roughly, based on how ticket sales and the studio's cut are figured over time, right? Stunning performance! We didn't lose money! They would have to net (with an ever decreasing cut) at least another 400 million for the studio to pay for the next film up front. That doesn't sound like a wild success, but I also don't know how much profit margin a movie itself has anyway. I'm sure merchandise sales will soften the landing quite a bit.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Let's not get crazy here. The 80's existed.

Right? Romancing the Stone, anyone?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lt. Chips posted:

It goes deeper than that. Their mother's both being named Martha demonstrates that Bruce killing Superman would be killing his metaphorical family. And considering the death of his parents(his only family) he CAN'T kill Superman when he has this revalation.

Sure he can. Superman had no problem killing that little girl's mother, and thousands of others. As far as Bats can tell, Supes doesn't give a poo poo about those deaths, either. Even criminal scum love their mothers more often than not. Bats should have found out where Martha was, killed Supes and then saved the poor old lady and her "gently caress them, you don't owe them," philosophy because he's a goddamned hero.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

this movie was okay, i was expecting it to be terrible garbage but i'd put it on par or slighty above most superhero films excluding the couple actually good ones

lots better than man of steel at least, i'd put it on par with avengers but they both have different strengths and weaknesses, i.e. avengers is mostly coherent and snappily written but has no attempt at themes or cinematography whatsoever.

I'm fine with heavily working a theme, having abstract sequences, dream logic, all of that stuff. BvS just doesn't flow right. I like poo poo like Pi: Faith in Chaos and Jacob's Ladder, but they were edited together well. BvS is just a jumbled mess of sometimes individually quite impressive vignettes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Maybe the brand is less "hey inmates. kill this dude." and more "hey prison guards, if anything happens to this dipshit on your watch, he tripped and fell on that shiv 23 times and you didn't see nothin', wink-wink." That would only make sense if the cops didn't seem terrorized by the Bat just as much as the criminals, as the movie presented it. So I guess that's a bad idea. Feel free to use it, Snyder. I won't charge a consulting fee.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

If you're going to do the Sherlock Holmes thing and hide the truth from the audience only to reveal how smart and observant your character is later, you kinda have to do that second part.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ozymandius was the greatest superhero of them all. He united the world in peace and brought about a future utopia. Look upon my works ye mighty, and despair!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Zzulu posted:

that was awesome though

captain america beating up giant wifebeater guy, was good

It was also great when he beat the poo poo out of The Punisher for wasting a couple of d-list super criminals who showed up to an anti-registration meeting of heroes to offer an alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The jar of piss could have been a clever little joke if what's-her-face had noticed it right before the bomb went off and had started to get up or warn the room that something might be up or whatever. At the very least a man that should be in attendance left her a jar of piss and there are bailiffs about. I'm sure leaving an open container of medical waste laying around with the intention of making a threat/maybe causing someone to accidentally consume it would at least get you detained for a few minutes. I have no idea why she just stared in horror at it for what felt like ten miserable minutes.

• Locked thread