Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

superman doesn't owe you anything. least of all a good movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
for the last time supermechagodzilla is not sarah michelle gellar

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
No one should take the idea of batman seriously

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Germstore posted:

Having only watched the Teen Titans cartoon I thought his name was just "Slade".

cannot say DEATH on a cartoon.

they could not use the name DEATHSTROKE THE TERMINATOR

(incidently DEAD POOL began as a joke about DEATH STROKE)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Bro Dad posted:

Basically, the reading that White knows about Clark's alter-ego hinges upon interpreting all of his dialog as thinly-veiled, but acerbically witty and self-conscious "put on" for the sake of copping for this god-man. The fundamental question we need to ask is, why would Perry agree to have the Superman on his journalistic staff? Because you saved my life? What does that mean with regards to your obviously false credentials which I now need to become complicit in fabricating so that we can conveniently ignore that you're just some dirt farmer's kid who's only ever been trusted to clean tables and turn valves your whole life?

It's an almost conspiratorial way of interpreting the film, that Perry gets off on his performance of just persistently down-talking to or ignoring Clark's opinion, he's totally unafraid of the man of steel and completely cynical about his "real world skills." Like, when he says, "clicks his heels three times and goes back to Kansas, I suppose," it's his more-Marvel-than-Marvel moment where he just roots his life in the history of popular "dreams," one that he can't escape from.

The problem is Perry never acts like a guy who's as in love with the image of Superman as the Cowardly Lion is with the image of Dorothy, possessing them to strive to be more than they think they can be because of their fear (one of the "market," the other of "violence"). But "the Superman" is completely peripheral to Perry's perspective - He sees a picture of his defaced monument and, within ear-shot of the guy, vocally announces that he's going to perpetuate dialog speculating over his motives as an invasive "man from the sky" rather than criticism of the flagrantly immoral Gotham police force. Perry only brings up the Superman explicitly in private conversation once, and it's based on his relationship to him through Lois, who he cynically assumes is only out to make "her boyfriend" out to be a victim. But Perry clearly doesn't even take the idea of "a threat to Superman" seriously. He considers Superman's existence just an opportunity to sell papers, not a more complex political narrative that refers back to systemic problems.

The point is that Perry is alienated from the moral universe that people who know Superman personally are forced to occupy. He sees everything as one big "honey-pot," basically.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I hate Batman, in general.

Brooding and being depressed and shutting people out of your life does not make you cool, it's debilitating.

You cannot just shut down your emotions or just run on negative ones and become a perfect god of euphoric rationality who's always better than everyone at everything and always right.

He's not a human character, he's not anything positive, he is the most negative superhero and should never have been taken seriously. Batman was a mistake, he's nothing but trash.

E:
one more picture

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 10, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Doesn't matter if they're aware of it, they still make him the guy who is always right and better than anyone
And his fans keep saying he's the best superhero because he doesn't have powers even though he does poo poo like canonically never sleep.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'm mostly talking dc comics batman

I still haven't bothered to watch the movies that no one but cined contrarians have ever said positive things about. Just wanted to vent my batman feelings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Xenomrph posted:

I know everyone likes to be "lol anime is poo poo", but I love 'The Thing' and if this anime is basically 'The Thing' with the serial numbers filed off, then that sounds like something I could get into. Is it worth watching? Is there any place to stream it? I see the bluray set is like $40 on Amazon, I'm not really up for blind-buying something that expensive unless I'm absolutely sure it's loving great.

I think you can just watch the cartoon on crunchyroll.

• Locked thread