Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

naem posted:

In a world with a superman why would you dress up like a bat and punch people? Seems like you'd lose your motivation

On the other hand when your mom and dad raised you on a steady diet of gently caress This Gay Earth and You Shouldn't Save Busloads of Kids Who Are About To Die, I don't really see why Superman does anything either :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Can you imagine that any writer ever involved with Superman or Batman in all of comics history watched MOS or this film and thought "gently caress yeah I wish I'd done it this way!!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See if Zack Snyder had somehow been chosen to direct the Captain America/Avengers films, that is the version he would have jumped on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Cap finds the camp of extremely well cared for Jews outside of a German town. "America must be kept in the dark" he says solemnly while whipping his shield through the bodies of townsfolk.

This is a real thing that Marvel has recently added to Cap's design (a shield for chopping dudes in half)

Not a joke

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SciFiDownBeat posted:

this should be par for the course for every comic book movie.

He meant the standing in line part

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Freestyle posted:

Mark Waid did a great piece on his experience of watching MOS.

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

Wow, I'm really surprised he let the film off the hook for how it treated Pa Kent, specifically he forgave the "Maybe" exchange.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Otisburg posted:

I'd be interested to see how he reacted to ghost dad's "heroism is nothin but a bunch of horse drowning" in the new one.

Or Supermom's "You don't owe these people a drat thing, you never did" which is like the "Maybe" conversation if it had terminal cancer caused by the massive steroids it's been on since the first film

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ashpanash posted:

In BvS, Superman isn't just reluctant to save people. He actively hates it. It's like a terrible burden on him - he'd rather not save anyone.

Well it's not really his fault, in MoS when he saves a busload of kids from certain death his dad chews his rear end for it. He's trained from a young age to let unimportant people die. Also that everyone is unimportant people including dear old Pa.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

~Realistic~ is something Zack Snyder's work has never been accused of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Maybe so, but that's the vibe I seem to get from this. It's like he looked at the superman mythos of being an all american boy scout, and thought "lol that's stupid" and he would be right.

I don't really agree that it's stupid but yes I am certain that is exactly what he thought. And then he thought "man gently caress that ima have all this poo poo blowin up it'll be fuckin rad!!" and "NECK SNAP!!" and other thoughts in a similar 13 year old kid vein.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And I am unironically 100% certain he actually thought "ell oh ell" like, the sounds of the letters

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

An actually realistic take on Superman: A highly motivated and morally (but not ethically) superior Clark Kent takes advantage of his flawless physique, handsome appearance, and most importantly his X-ray vision and superhuman hearing to absolutely dominate American politics, because he can just see all of his opponents' strategy and planning literally from a mile away. In debates he surreptitiously uses his heat vision to set Donald Trump's awful toupee on fire. When elected Emperor of the New America he enacts drastic financial reforms and brings about a golden age of prosperity and peace.

Batman: Applies his vast wealth and intellect to a private but devastating war against crooked hedge fund managers and ponzi scammers. Paves the way for a new era of genuinely philanthropic wealth and works tirelessly to eradicate poverty all over the Earth. Occasionally does MMA exhibitions.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Alternatively I guess realism can mean "NECK SNAP!!!" and "drives a weird car around and shoots a lot of people"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Wonder Woman goes back to her roots and starts a highly discreet, massively profitable business as an exclusive dominatrix, and uses the secret truths she compels from evil clients to force them to change their ways

too easy, that one

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Realistic Zod: "Hmm, these insignificant monkey men, pitifully stupid as they are, might somehow annoy me in the future, I'll just go to this nice empty planet a thousand light years OVER THERE and honestly I really doubt they'll invent interstellar travel before they destroy themselves, also I'm gonna gently caress the dogshit out of Faora because drat she fine"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe that's for the best

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

CBS has the hit show 'A Half-Hour with Kat Dennings' Marvelous Tits, while CW does not.

Just to put this in perspective

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Darkseid/Apokolips predate Scientology's Xenu story so I wonder if that was where Elron ripped it off from :iiam:

e: well hmm they were invented pretty near the same time actually hmmmmmmmmmm

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah, I didn't see that. This article has a bunch of theories about how it could still be the real Captain America but he's not really a Hydra agent.

Edit: I love that one of their main points is "He once wielded Thor's hammer and you can't do that unless you're worthy therefore he can't have been a secret Hydra sleeper agent because you can't fool an ancient Norse hammer!!!"

It's pretty dumb but in the framework of the comic, it's the biggest red flag about this whole Cap Is Really a Nazi, Really business.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Blargh posted:

maybe the hammer is a secret hydra agent too

did you think about that

At this point, yeah it's not impossible to imagine Odin being a secret ally of Hitler so I wouldn't put it past Marvel to bring that up eventually too :shrug:

e: I mean if you're going to allow the casual "I have reality altering powers so I wave my hand and this character is suddenly a secret Nazi and always has been" bullshit then you might as well take it all the way and poo poo up the Dawn of Time type characters too, why not have Galactus as a closet Hydra agent

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 30, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sure, and they're a writer's tools! You can use tools to make The Birth of Venus, or you can use tools to sculpt poo into a lifesize version of :iamafag:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i hate to break it to u but that was ur dad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Squizzle posted:

That Hal Jordan sure got into some crazy jams with his ambiguously-underage sister-girlfriend after she used three wishes to give herself breasts!

Haha, those wacky space guys!

See this is where DC excel, they aren't afraid to tell the really controversial, challenging stories

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

My ZAMARONS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The serious nerds are not talking about the films, they're talking about when it was done in the comics.

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/the-worthy-14-characters-who-possessed-the-power-of-th-1605439233 see #6

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe it's a ~realistic version~

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This one is really my favorite

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No hang on, they all hold these balloons over their heads and have to talk into the balloons and then their words appear in text in them

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Max Landis "Death of Superman" vid was actually pretty fun to watch and definitely better than Man of Steel/BVS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He stabbed him in his Evil Gland and made him into a good person :unsmith:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

When you take the "-hero" out of superhero but you leave in all the dumb spandex tights and masks and poo poo it really doesn't work at all :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah Chronicle was pretty good, it's about the only "found footage" movie where that dumb gimmick made any sense at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why IS the bat brand a death sentence?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Because Marvel hates creative freedom, bring back New Hollywood and let Directors do whatever the gently caress they want, screw everyone else who has a hand in making the movie especially the people funding it.

what if "do whatever the gently caress you want" is "make a real bad movie" tho

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

Well yeah there is that. But SMG did pop into one of the GBS Fury Road threads to post screenshot comparisons "proving" George Miller totally ripped off his shot compositions from the "superior" Transformers movies. His shtick should be tiresome by now, but it's goddamn impressive how many gullible people line up to jump on the SMG train.

I'm glad there's at least one other person who does not take SMG strictly at face value, imo the forums are made a much more interesting place by his posting and people who get real mad at him are a bunch of dummies

Gatts posted:

More like he at least presents some interesting food for thought that has more insight than "That was awesome! Not like that, which sucks!" but yeah the best part is when he trolls people who get so uppity and uptight about it. Like, he just post something and fanboys get so upset and keep arguing.

I don't read his posts religiously but I've seen him make some really clever observations on cinematography and general filmmaking technique and think that helps his trolling immensely.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Next was pretty great in a lot of ways, and is basically a superhero movie

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Who would win, Superman vs Goku vs Batman(with prep time)?

depends on if batman had been prison raped recently if we're in zack snyder's version, if so then id bet on the batmen because getting prison raped makes u really angry and ready to fight crime

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's fair, and almost every time a filmmaker pulls that gimmick I find it super annoying and dumb (Jacob's Ladder etc etc etc) but in this case I was willing to let it go by because the rest of the movie was such a fun exploration of his two minute precognition gimmick.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh im sure a few of them would have raped batman if snyder had had total artistic authority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jeremy Renner is good as Hawkeye because he understands the character, like here:

• Locked thread