Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I went through the thread and added some folks on PSN.

Let's compare times or whatever else friends in this game can do, add me @ GammaLyrae on PSN, or Gamma.Lyrae on Ubi's network for the PC version. I'll be playing both versions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Was gonna ask about platforms, but PS4 seems to be the best choice. Time attack games NEED leader-board comparison fun.

Pvax43 is my PSN tag - I'll add all of you later, but feel free to beat me too it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
my psn is Arrrthritis, add me and challenge me to poo poo this game is fun as hell

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
This game is indeed fun as hell. I'm playing on PC and haven't encountered all the weirdness that others have stated, it worked fine with my XBox controller (although I tend to prefer keyboard).

I'm up to 138 silvers (78 gold) in Solo, it would be much better if the environments were somewhat independent in the early days. Each environment is fun but there are some parts of each that I don't enjoy as much, in particular lagoon beach (oh god it's terrible).

The number of records on the later solo tracks really drops off, I think there were less than 500 on 139 when I finished it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

door.jar posted:

This game is indeed fun as hell. I'm playing on PC and haven't encountered all the weirdness that others have stated, it worked fine with my XBox controller (although I tend to prefer keyboard).

I'm up to 138 silvers (78 gold) in Solo, it would be much better if the environments were somewhat independent in the early days. Each environment is fun but there are some parts of each that I don't enjoy as much, in particular lagoon beach (oh god it's terrible).

The number of records on the later solo tracks really drops off, I think there were less than 500 on 139 when I finished it.

Like someone said earlier, I've been trying to gold everything before I move on (so I'm only up to 83, which is one of my favorite tracks so far and it's seriously just :rock:--go play it if you haven't), but lagoon beach...yeah...66 is the only track so far I haven't been able to gold.

Part of the problem is that I'm not really used to sand yet, and the turning/handling is pretty different. But I'd like to slap whoever put that strip of asphalt on the one sand block. :argh: The gold ghost on 66 is just loving flying too--I've learned a bit by just trying to keep up with him for the first part, but that corner transition from asphalt to sand after the long downhill...I either screw it up, or I slow down enough that the dude just pulls away. I'm still missing something about the handling/throttle/something there. :(

Also, yay, someone else who plays with keyboard!

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I had issues with #66 too for a while. Mostly the long left hander toward the end and then the transition off the beach to the right, always threw me in the air if I was going fast enough to challenge the gold. And then -

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
so are there any basic tips and such for this? I started to grind some of the single player maps last night and have been hitting gold, but I know in previous versions there were all little nuances that made a huge difference. Is it map specific or are there playstyle things too? I use a ton of drifting

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Drifting works great in Canyon. In valley it will snap-oversteer you into a goddamn tree most of the time. If you're breaking traction in Lagoon you're doing it wrong. (unless you're on that wood surface, then good luck getting any grip at all)

Really you just need to drive each car a bunch to get to grips with how they handle. The White series is pretty much designed for that.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Re: 66. I had a really difficult time gold'ing that one as well last night. What I ended up doing for that part in particular was drifting almost immediately so that I had a straight shot to the checkpoint, and then traveling on the inside portion to the finish line.

I wonder how many more medals I need to get before i'm #1 in the PS4 US.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Feels like there's nobody playing on PS4. I've only played TM2 years ago and played through the first ~7 boxes (of 10 things each) and I'm #2 in Illinois and #7 in the US, with not a ton of people. Only about 10k in the US total. Seems low. I'm getting silver on all of them with some golds but mostly just going through them, I only played for a few hours over the weekend total. Normally any game with leaderboards and I'm deep in the thousands at best.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

so are there any basic tips and such for this? I started to grind some of the single player maps last night and have been hitting gold, but I know in previous versions there were all little nuances that made a huge difference. Is it map specific or are there playstyle things too? I use a ton of drifting

Generally, in case you don't know: drifting is holding the throttle throughout the entire process, starting a turn, and tapping the brakes. It's better if, instead of tapping the brake, you use the environment to lose grip, but that's not an option all the time.

Pay attention to signage, they're always helpful to get to know a track.

Canyon: Drift your heart away while always having the pedal to the metal. The grip you get when you come out of a drift can be weird, be ready for it.
Valley: Have a feather touch on the steering, these things lose speed if you do a hard turn and tend to oversteer any way. Avoid drifting. These courses are all about finesse of control. Also, hold and release LB to jump...?
Lagoon: Huge grip, tight turning, high speed. Don't drift, most corners are designed for you to be flooring it and hard turning, but coming out of a turn can get a bit squirrely. Get a feel for it.
Stadium: Don't drift, and avoid braking at all. Focus on your line instead, and don't be too afraid to let off the throttle if you're understeering.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 28, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

f#a# posted:

Canyon: Drift your heart away while always having the pedal to the metal. The grip you get when you come out of a drift can be weird, be ready for it.
Valley: Have a feather touch on the steering, these things lose speed if you do a hard turn and tend to oversteer any way. Avoid drifting. These courses are all about finesse of control. Also, hold and release LB to jump...?
Lagoon: Huge grip, tight turning, high speed. Don't drift, most corners are designed for you to be flooring it and hard turning, but coming out of a turn can get a bit squirrely. Get a feel for it.
Stadium: Don't drift, and avoid braking at all. Focus on your line instead, and don't be too afraid to let off the throttle if you're understeering.

To caveat your Stadium advice, Drifting round dirt sections is the best way to maintain speed, but it only really needs a slight angle, Stadium car still has a ton of grip.

Also another thing, Usually if you want to slow for a corner, letting off the gas for a moment then getting back on it at the apex is way better than ever hitting the brakes, unless it's a hard U-Turn or you need to get a drift on. Probably 90% of the time hitting the brake is the wrong choice.

Edit:

I revisited my #8 track and fixed it up. Sorted the dumb tunnel jump and made the end a little less dull.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/G8YIOjAaFi4QGwx91ofkFClha15

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Electromax posted:

Feels like there's nobody playing on PS4. I've only played TM2 years ago and played through the first ~7 boxes (of 10 things each) and I'm #2 in Illinois and #7 in the US, with not a ton of people. Only about 10k in the US total. Seems low. I'm getting silver on all of them with some golds but mostly just going through them, I only played for a few hours over the weekend total. Normally any game with leaderboards and I'm deep in the thousands at best.

It will take time for people to figure out that Trackmania is an awesome game, the population will increase. That being said, Trackmania has always been huge worldwide with a much smaller player population in America. Also, this is a brand new franchise for consoles without a lot of hype around it's release.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Finished up another Lagoon track, having great fun messing about with the rollercoaster pieces.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/yBROGXi4xrz8II97VFUxNjeiqYb

SGB: Can you take out the "don't buy this" warning for the PC version in the OP? Seems like it's wholly untrue.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Confirmed on PC status. It works fine, and even has native DS4 support (e.g. you don't need DS4Windows). uPlay sucks, 100-player matches lag a bit when you try to restart, and the settings menu is sparse, but on the other hand, you have some of the same stuff as TM2 (e.g. hover mouse on top to get the advanced settings menu and Actually Working settings for SFX/Music volume).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I know it is only 3 laps, but man, the multi-lap tracks can be the most annoying things to get medals on sometimes. I forget for sure the track number (either #85 or #90), but it is big on booster pads and engine cut-outs, and just before the track start is a sharp u-turn that you need to coast through. Had a *great* run, but got into a pickle on the final corner. Slid into the siding, losing all forward momentum maybe 1-car length from the finish, a few seconds later seeing the medal-ghost trundle through.

gently caress VIDEOGAMES FOREVER! :argh: gently caress THEM FOR ALL TIME :supaburn:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I tried this on PC, but whenever I have my controller plugged in the cars are just full throttle all the time automatically, and no button or axis I use seems to stop it, so I couldn't really get past the first few tracks like that. I'm hoping they put out a patch for that soon so I can actually play this...

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

AirRaid posted:

...Stadium advice...Usually if you want to slow for a corner, letting off the gas for a moment then getting back on it at the apex is way better than ever hitting the brakes, unless it's a hard U-Turn or you need to get a drift on. Probably 90% of the time hitting the brake is the wrong choice.

Edit:

I revisited my #8 track and fixed it up. Sorted the dumb tunnel jump and made the end a little less dull.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/G8YIOjAaFi4QGwx91ofkFClha15

Yeah, that's really key advice for stadium. I grabbed your fixed track, and your latest one too, and added them to the GoonTrack Room. Now, if anyone else will create some tracks on PC, so it's not The BearRaid Show. ;) I'm working on a semi-normal track...maybe tomorrow.

Edit: Your #13 track with the fixed tunnel has a checkpoint that, if you have to restart from it, you can't get enough speed to make the jump right after. :( Sorry man.

Entropist posted:

I tried this on PC, but whenever I have my controller plugged in the cars are just full throttle all the time automatically, and no button or axis I use seems to stop it, so I couldn't really get past the first few tracks like that. I'm hoping they put out a patch for that soon so I can actually play this...
It's Entropist! Yay! :) The controller issue sucks really hard. :( I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem though--is it an unusual controller, or am I just unaware of a known issue?

I'm guessing that you could probably offer some driving advice for the thread as well...you're sort of bad, but you have your moments. ;)

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 29, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Edit: Your #13 track with the fixed tunnel has a checkpoint that, if you have to restart from it, you can't get enough speed to make the jump right after. :( Sorry man.

Well you can still finish because that other tunnel still links up :( But I should fix that I guess.

Edit: As an aside, I played a bunch of random MP last night and I think one dodgy checkpoint is a minor issue comparing to some of the steaming crap people are playing out there. :v:

E2: Okay fine I fixed that jump. That was me being dumb actually, I had previously fixed it and then accidentally removed the piece I placed.

Final version of this track, If I have to edit it again I'm gonna be pissed. :argh: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/7gaOaxOKEmH7A5YJ0i0_6KXC32l

Bonus other Lagoon track which isn't perfect but is alright - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/yBROGXi4xrz8II97VFUxNjeiqYb

Also, I find it annoying that you can't remove tracks you've uploaded from the "cloud". So those two older versions will forever be there.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 29, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

It's Entropist! Yay! :) The controller issue sucks really hard. :( I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem though--is it an unusual controller, or am I just unaware of a known issue?

It's been reported quite a bit on official forums for various types of joysticks, or people who have virtual joystick drivers installed. Another version of the problem involves both gas and brake being held...
They are working on a patch for controller button remapping, it might be possible to get around the issue with that, but I'm not so sure...

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
How is the track editor on console? I had Trackmania (the original) for PC and loved making tracks in the desert and snowy environments, snaking in and out of mountains and stuff :3: If the consoles are a real pain in the arse compared to keyboard/mouse I guess I will have to go for PC though having it on console would be kinda nice. I don't suppose there's any chance whatsoever that you can plug a key/mouse into the console is there?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

How is the track editor on console? I had Trackmania (the original) for PC and loved making tracks in the desert and snowy environments, snaking in and out of mountains and stuff :3: If the consoles are a real pain in the arse compared to keyboard/mouse I guess I will have to go for PC though having it on console would be kinda nice. I don't suppose there's any chance whatsoever that you can plug a key/mouse into the console is there?

Honestly, if you could switch between the "normal" and "advanced" mode on the console version it would be great. But you are stuck with either/or it seems. Normal is great for building something quick, it's pretty easy but it's lacking some major things from advanced mode (like deleting any track object instead of just the last one you built. It's kind of nice, the advanced mode is pretty complicated for seemingly no reason.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I bought this again due to the news of a patch next week.

The game does work fine provided you're happy running it Mouse and Keyboard. I adore the Lagoon tracks.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, if you could switch between the "normal" and "advanced" mode on the console version it would be great. But you are stuck with either/or it seems. Normal is great for building something quick, it's pretty easy but it's lacking some major things from advanced mode (like deleting any track object instead of just the last one you built. It's kind of nice, the advanced mode is pretty complicated for seemingly no reason.

So the console track editor is pretty much unusable? Advanced being the only real option but not suited to controllers?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What determines your ranking and emblem next to your name at the main menu? Mine's rank 0 and an eight-ball though my mascot is some dice. It keeps telling me my progress to Challengemaster 0 and 1 are both at 0 medals too. Is it just broken? I'm on PS4.

Starblade_15 on PS4 by the way for time comparisons. This game's really fun!

quote:

I wonder how many more medals I need to get before i'm #1 in the PS4 US.

I'm top 20 for medals and barely through the campaign.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

What determines your ranking and emblem next to your name at the main menu? Mine's rank 0 and an eight-ball though my mascot is some dice. It keeps telling me my progress to Challengemaster 0 and 1 are both at 0 medals too. Is it just broken? I'm on PS4.

I didn't start working towards 'rank 1' until I started spending time racing in multiplayer rooms. Solo-campaign gives you medals, and contributes to leader-board position, but not that rank thing it seems.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

magimix posted:

I didn't start working towards 'rank 1' until I started spending time racing in multiplayer rooms. Solo-campaign gives you medals, and contributes to leader-board position, but not that rank thing it seems.

That's kind of weird, since doing online challenges counts towards your medal rank and some nebulous challenge rank too. I haven't done too many races online yet though. Is the mascot thing just random then?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So the console track editor is pretty much unusable? Advanced being the only real option but not suited to controllers?

I wouldn't say that, it's pretty okay, just the advanced mode uses the joysticks to pick the pieces and is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Another 8-ball checking in. The ranking on the title screen doesn't show anything for me until after I play a track once. It's a little surprising how few people are playing this so far; I think I was at #4 US last night after finishing the 60s.

How do you guys handle the wooden surface in lagoon? That's probably what gives me the most trouble so far.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Bollocks, it's great. I cant think of any other way it could've been done while also giving you immediate access to everything. Takes a little while to get used to but if you put in the time it's pretty seamless. Things that'll trip you up are rotate being the same button as 'copy piece' when you're directly over another - and developing the muscle memory to get the left stick back into turns or whatever so you can just focus on the right side.
i've nearly finished my 8th track with it, I cant stop. I think a couple of them are up to the quality of the main set. Really happy with how some of them flow.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Another 8-ball checking in. The ranking on the title screen doesn't show anything for me until after I play a track once. It's a little surprising how few people are playing this so far; I think I was at #4 US last night after finishing the 60s.

In previous Trackmania games the rankings were updated quite irregularly, perhaps once per day or once every two days. That means you're usually playing against an old version of the ranking - you were #4 compared to the amount of medals that people had yesterday, they likely have more today and there are probably a lot of #1s driving around, until the rankings update again. That means the total number of players is probably also lagging behind.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 29, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Entropist posted:

In previous Trackmania games the rankings were updated quite irregularly, perhaps once per day or once every two days. That means you're usually playing against an old version of the ranking - you were #4 compared to the amount of medals that people had yesterday, they likely have more today and there are probably a lot of #1s driving around, until the rankings update again. That means the total number of players is probably also lagging behind.

I read on their forums too that everything everywhere is un-sync'd, so checking the website against the game against what the level says you have is a crapshoot.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Entropist posted:

Weirdly I was ranked 14 in the US, didnt play for a day and when I turned it back on I was ranked 9th. I dont even have trackmaster on a single track yet.
It's a bit of a mess all round - I had been going back and forth with times on an early track with a mate over the weekend. he's got the better time on track 7, it shows in the ranking center overview that he's got 14 better times and i've got 5, but when i select it to go into detail it still shows me as having more better times and doesn't have any of his times updated. still cant race against any of his faster ghosts 3 days later.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Auxiliary Treats posted:

How do you guys handle the wooden surface in lagoon? That's probably what gives me the most trouble so far.

With tonnes of swearing and wondering who put that horrible surface in an environment with super-grippy cars, fast roads and freaking roller-coaster pieces.

I find it a LOT easier to drive those surfaces in external view rather than bumper cam. Finger off the accelerator and drift through it like a pregnant Semi-Trailer on ice.

I find driving on the beach worse to be honest :\

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

With tonnes of swearing and wondering who put that horrible surface in an environment with super-grippy cars, fast roads and freaking roller-coaster pieces.

I find it a LOT easier to drive those surfaces in external view rather than bumper cam. Finger off the accelerator and drift through it like a pregnant Semi-Trailer on ice.

I find driving on the beach worse to be honest :\

I actually like the wooden surfaces quite a bit, only because it reminds me of the old Coast car from TM1, which would slide if a gnat sneezed on it. :) The only part of the wooden surfaces/lagoon car that sucks is when you get into a loop. At that point it just becomes silly and normal momentum/physics goes away and the car just slides off in a random direction for no reason. I can't remember the number of the lagoon track with that wooden loop, but it seemed pretty drat random, and I'm hoping it's a bug that will be fixed.

And yeah, so far I'm having more trouble with the beach myself than any other surface. And it seems like the ghost cars are *really* good at it. :argh:

AirRaid posted:

E2: Okay fine I fixed that jump. That was me being dumb actually, I had previously fixed it and then accidentally removed the piece I placed.

Final version of this track, If I have to edit it again I'm gonna be pissed. :argh: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/7gaOaxOKEmH7A5YJ0i0_6KXC32l

Bonus other Lagoon track which isn't perfect but is alright - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/yBROGXi4xrz8II97VFUxNjeiqYb

Also, I find it annoying that you can't remove tracks you've uploaded from the "cloud". So those two older versions will forever be there.
Yeah, not being able to remove tracks sucks. I haven't tried the fixed version yet, but I replaced it in my room. I'll also check the other one soon. :)

Edit: Wait, I played 10 already--it's cool. You linked it before.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 30, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just shared a proper platform track with a bunch of ps4 goons. They're awesome, it's annoying there's no community that can collate them on ps4. Wouldve been great to have like 10 nadeo created ones too.
All the ones I've downloaded are not in any way platform tracks.

The one I shared can probably be done in a little over 1:20. 1:40 is my best with a few restarts.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 30, 2016

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^ I'm sad that there's no cross-platform play. :(

I like those wooden boardwalk sections enough that I made a Lagoon track that's 95% those and a lot of boosters...you get up to around 7-800 at one point. :D

It's about a minute long, and I maxed out the build budget at exactly 8500.
The track is here: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/7viXWehF1zVVLwRv2E6bu6tWYb0
...and it's also in the goonRoom here: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/5892

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you share tracks? I've got mine public and validated (with a time that I couldn't do twice...) but it's not coming up on that website?

Aas Bandit: I gave that track a go. It's nuts!

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

H13 posted:

How do you share tracks? I've got mine public and validated (with a time that I couldn't do twice...) but it's not coming up on that website?

Aas Bandit: I gave that track a go. It's nuts!

I think leaderboards and tracks take awhile to update. Last week the global leaderboards were frozen at 405,000 something users for PS4, and I managed to climb up to #2 in the USA boards. This week there's 700,000 something people and I dropped down to the mid 200s, rank-wise.

To better answer your question, the easiest way to get people playing your track is to make a room that includes your track and just keep playing in that room. Eventually people will see there's at least 1 player in there and start joining up. As far as specifically sharing the track for others to play (such as your friends or people in this thread), I haven't figured that out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It will take time for people to figure out that Trackmania is an awesome game, the population will increase. That being said, Trackmania has always been huge worldwide with a much smaller player population in America. Also, this is a brand new franchise for consoles without a lot of hype around it's release.

This has been my hope for every TrackMania since the first game. I've since resigned myself to the fact that it'll never be as big as it deserves to be, at least in Australia, but so long as they're still going strong in Europe then I expect Nadeo will be kicking around until the end of time, iterating on one of the finest arcade racing game series ever made. And I will continue to purchase every single one of them.

I've got Turbo on PC, and I haven't experienced any weirdness although I haven't tried to use a controller. Much fewer graphical glitches than Trackmania 2, and the tracks telegraph what's coming up a lot better than it as well.

e: The crane drop as a rolling start is a good idea, but why not just have a rolling start? I'm pretty sure they had that feature in Sunrise.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 31, 2016

• Locked thread