Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

How do you share tracks? I've got mine public and validated (with a time that I couldn't do twice...) but it's not coming up on that website?

Aas Bandit: I gave that track a go. It's nuts!

Hmm. Not sure what to tell you. You should be able to log in on the site and just choose "Tracks" then "My Tracks" from the dashboard to find it?
I know that I had to switch to PC from whatever the default space was (PS4?) to find my info.

Glad you enjoyed (I think? :) ) the track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Megabound posted:

I've got Turbo on PC, and I haven't experienced any weirdness although I haven't tried to use a controller. Much fewer graphical glitches than Trackmania 2, and the tracks telegraph what's coming up a lot better than it as well.

e: The crane drop as a rolling start is a good idea, but why not just have a rolling start? I'm pretty sure they had that feature in Sunrise.

Sunrise didn't have rolling starts, this is the first time they've tried something like that, and I think it owns. You can vary the speed you get off the roll in ramp by how high you place the chopper start piece.

Also, any PC peeps that haven't already, post your uPlay names so we can friend up and get some leaderboard ghosts and poo poo. (I'm BearRaid)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I think this'll work? Here's the track that I made.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/GVGJZrF1kMyYZWvfpHFswhkuOVg
Updated Version. Thumbnails don't match but it's the right track

This method of sharing tracks mightn't actually be shite. As long as it works....

H13 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 31, 2016

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Sunrise didn't have rolling starts, this is the first time they've tried something like that, and I think it owns. You can vary the speed you get off the roll in ramp by how high you place the chopper start piece.

Also, any PC peeps that haven't already, post your uPlay names so we can friend up and get some leaderboard ghosts and poo poo. (I'm BearRaid)

I'm megagoon on uPlay

Don't get me wrong, the drop start is rad, but if it was a countdown while a rolling start happened you'd get into the action that much quicker after you hit delete for the 50th time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

H13 posted:

Well I think this'll work? Here's the track that I made.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/TX0w5FWN_xf46EuKiL4HKmT19I9

This is pretty good actually! Only a couple of issues:

- the last checkpoint is right before a jump and there's no way you'll make the jump if you need to restart there.
- the last jump is a bit harsh. You can make it if you nail the initial jump up to the tunnel and make it clean through, but if you tag the sides at any point you won't make it, and if you do have anough speed but are dead center you'll hit a light pole on the curved road you fly over, which is a hell of a kick in the pants if you've nailed the rest of the track.
edit: third issue, after the the top loop on the coaster section with the engine cutout, there's a track twist which is normal track rather than the sticky blue, and it's possible to have enough speed to fly off the track at that point.

Apart from that it's good fun though. I would like some Mediatracker elements to swap the cameras for the rollercoaster/loop sections but its not hard to flip it yourself when you need to.

As an aside, is it possible to even do that outside of the classic editor? Seems weird to limit consoles from doing that at all.

Also, if anyone isn't aware, there is a way to play a friend's track offline without making a room. You need to go to Multiplayer, then Arcade, then you can pick a track from your favourites and play that way. It'll tell you when you finish when you beat the medal times this way too.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

This is pretty good actually! Only a couple of issues:

- the last checkpoint is right before a jump and there's no way you'll make the jump if you need to restart there.
- the last jump is a bit harsh. You can make it if you nail the initial jump up to the tunnel and make it clean through, but if you tag the sides at any point you won't make it, and if you do have anough speed but are dead center you'll hit a light pole on the curved road you fly over, which is a hell of a kick in the pants if you've nailed the rest of the track.
edit: third issue, after the the top loop on the coaster section with the engine cutout, there's a track twist which is normal track rather than the sticky blue, and it's possible to have enough speed to fly off the track at that point.

Apart from that it's good fun though. I would like some Mediatracker elements to swap the cameras for the rollercoaster/loop sections but its not hard to flip it yourself when you need to.

As an aside, is it possible to even do that outside of the classic editor? Seems weird to limit consoles from doing that at all.

Also, if anyone isn't aware, there is a way to play a friend's track offline without making a room. You need to go to Multiplayer, then Arcade, then you can pick a track from your favourites and play that way. It'll tell you when you finish when you beat the medal times this way too.

Cheers for the feedback! I'll make those changes to the last checkpoint and the track twist. I didn't know that the blue was sticky. I put the engine cut-out to try to control your speed a little to prevent people from flying off at that point, but adding the sticky blue bits would help a lot too.

That light pole on the last jump IS a pain in the rear end. But I can't do much about it because it's part of the S bend. That's why I put the helicopter above it with the "Avoid the center" sign. In regards to the last jump itself, as long as you hit MOST of the boost pad in the tunnel, you'll make the second half really easily. I was able to consistently nail the jump pretty easily as long as you slow your first jump into the tunnel mid-air a little in order to hit the boost pad. I like it being a little bit tricky because it's a big sexy jump that requires a bit of finesse ;)

I couldn't get the media tracker to work for me. It wouldn't load a ghost? The "classic" track maker is still a little broken. Keyboard shortcuts don't work at all.

That said, glad you liked it :)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I don't think I even saw the avoid center sign.

You don't need a ghost to add race cameras, just place the trigger across the track then add a clip and use "Race Camera". Internal for the first person view (making sure the duration is long enough, default is 3 seconds) and then use another clip setting it back to race camera - default at the end of the track segment.

As an aside I actually like the engine cutout you have at the top there, having the only sound being the 'womp-womp' of the magnetic track as you go over the top is neat.

As a rule I always use a blue track piece on the roller coaster unless I specifically want to make the car leave the track.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Updated version:
https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/GVGJZrF1kMyYZWvfpHFswhkuOVg

I couldn't get the media tracker to behave. I don't have external view set as default (Need to be external to see how you're drifting, but I prefer to be internal 75% of the time) so when I would use a block to set the camera to "Default" it would switch to an external view, even if I started the race on the internal camera. Pain in the rear end. I set it to switch to internal for the rollercoaster bit and just let it stay there. After that you've got a jump, a loop and a big jump that being internal for is a help so I don't think it takes anything away from the track ;)

Added a sticky bit, fixed the checkpoint, left the last jump at the end because I like that it's a dickish sort of jump ;). Cheers for the feedback though :)

Now how do I delete the first version from my profile? Couldn't do it in-game, can't do it online either :\

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Whoa I had no idea you could see ps4 tracks on the site.

Here's that platform one I made. I wish it would let you revalidate because that gold time should be more like 1:10.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/ps4/maps/0ELczrwVGJSsIZ3HKiUDaygGZu5

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So I'm having some trouble with what is objectively the worst environment across the whole of Trackmania: Stadium. God knows why they brought this back rather than literally any of the others they skipped over in favour of it but here we are - how the gently caress do you turn on dirt? At the moment I'm just slamming on the brakes while turning and it's not so much a drift as it is a crawl, but any attempt to take the turns without braking to a very low speed just leads to me shooting off the side of the track. What am I missing here? How do you turn on dirt without a massive dip in speed?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Slow down as necessary before the turn, and just steer sharply. This will drift the car automatically (can't help it) and a bigger drift angle also slows things down somewhat. You'll want a big angle for most of the turn cause it turns more sharply that way, but you'll also want to release the turn as early as possible without flying off the track. The sooner you can start accelerating again, the more speed you get out of the turn.

I didn't play the Turbo Stadium tracks yet but usually it shouldn't be necessary to brake THAT much on dirt... can't build up a lot of speed anyway.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

the only one I played was trackmania stadium and I loved this one server called mav's, they had a huge music playlist and a bunch of ridiculous custom maps. How does this one stack up against trackmania2? Will I still be able to race against 100 other people?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

ghostter posted:

the only one I played was trackmania stadium and I loved this one server called mav's, they had a huge music playlist and a bunch of ridiculous custom maps. How does this one stack up against trackmania2? Will I still be able to race against 100 other people?

100 other people yes (and I can't figure out how to turn the ghosts off so good luck seeing the track)
Custom music is a no as far as I know
Custom maps is a yes

It might sound like I'm being negative about this but I am really loving it! It's so smooth compared to the previous TM games! I'm just hoping it gets proper PC support for custom content at some point.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I'm having some trouble with what is objectively the worst environment across the whole of Trackmania: Stadium. God knows why they brought this back rather than literally any of the others they skipped over in favour of it but here we are - how the gently caress do you turn on dirt? At the moment I'm just slamming on the brakes while turning and it's not so much a drift as it is a crawl, but any attempt to take the turns without braking to a very low speed just leads to me shooting off the side of the track. What am I missing here? How do you turn on dirt without a massive dip in speed?

Stadium has steadily got worse and worse as the series continues. I remember the cars used to have a really fast turning circle, so they were agile as all hell. Nowadays, they're kinda sluggish.

My trick for the dirt tracks on stadium is to try to stick to the middle of the road. Don't try to hit apexes. I think the further to the edge you get, the more your car slows down so if you gently drift through the corners aiming for the center of the road, you'll be pretty quick and stable.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

ghostter posted:

This is a console port of a PC port, so expect all that comes with that. Most of the customization options that the PC games had have been removed, no custom music (copyright issues) and you can't name anything or even change your own nickname because bad words might appear. But in some ways it is more polished and has clearer interfaces (fewer options, optimized for use with controllers). And it has an additional environment+car, though this new environment will apparently be released for TM2 as well (for free, if you bought Turbo).

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

i bot it :steamhappy:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
What a rad game.

The medal requirements later in the campaign are nuts though. Gold on every track to get to the black tracks sucks when I don't even like the valley and lagoon cars very much

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShineDog posted:

The medal requirements later in the campaign are nuts though. Gold on every track to get to the black tracks sucks when I don't even like the valley and lagoon cars very much

The lagoon cars are my favourite provided that:
A) They're on a sealed road.

B) They're on a roller-coaster bit.

They suck monkey bollucks at drifting.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

Lagoon beaches are the worst part of the game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm happy that Coast is dead and buried.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wish they would bring about the Grand Prix part of Coast :(.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The main problem with coast was actually a problem a lot of the environments share - roads that are just too narrow. You have no room for error on so many parts of those tracks that the tiniest mistake slams you into a wall and that run is effectively over. And yet the other parts of those environments are great. Even valley, which I don't really like, is fine when you're on dirt and you've got room to slide, but you throw in some narrow gaps and those tight bends in the paved roads and the car just can't handle that stuff at speed and it's frustrating. The only environments that get away with it are the fast grippy ones like Lagoon and Bay, where the cars can actually turn those corners at speed and not lose traction and understeer into the wall.

I liked Coast, but only when you had room on the track to work with.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Bring back Snow and Desert :smith:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think my favourite environment is still the Bay from Sunrise.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I thought I would hate this because I played a lot of TM2 canyon/stadium online, but the campaign is actually pretty great so far. It satisfies that Trials itch. I do wish the track sharing was better (or existant? Is there even a track browser in the game?).

I'll be adding a few PS4 folks from this thread, but my PSN is BoomboxIncident, so feel free to add me. I think I'm 50 tracks into the campaign so far. Right now I have nobody to compare against so I really only strive to get the fastest times in Nebraska :v:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I can handle the dirt and beaches ok, unless you have to thread the needle and you aren't perfectly aligned coming up to the gap. Similar for lining up a long jump - the slightest misalignment will mean the end, but it's tough to make tiny last-minute adjustments on those surfaces without overcorrecting over and over. Especially harsh when a turbo pad -> long jump waits right after a 90 degree turn so you have to nail the orientation right out of the turn without much room for error. I have a much easier time in 1st person view with those.

the worst is when you can see a little gap in the fence from really far away, driving through the marsh grass, and you have 30 seconds to line up and still clip the very edge and flip over.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Are the green medals just hidden platinum times? I've gotten a few with some decent times, but then I just got 145th in the world on track 63 and no green medal. What gives?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Bring back Snow and Desert :smith:
Snow, Desert and Island would be all I need from a Trackmania game.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

wa27 posted:

Are the green medals just hidden platinum times? I've gotten a few with some decent times, but then I just got 145th in the world on track 63 and no green medal. What gives?

Yes, they are awarded when you beat the time driven by the author of the map, so the game devs in the case of the campaign maps. They can vary a bit, perhaps the author time on that particular track is really good.

TM Turbo also has 'super trackmaster' medals which are new, they have been driven by some of the top nolifer players from previous Trackmania games. I've seen only a few reports so far of people getting one of these medals, it probably involves reaching the world top 5 at this point.

edit: Oh, don't get me started on missing the old environments... Snow, Rally, Desert, Island, Coast and Bay are all essentially based around avoiding drifts from excessively sharp turning in various ways, much like real driving. This is challenging and fun and takes actual skill and mastery of your steering inputs. All the environments that came after that do not have this, and are clearly designed for drooling idiot noobs who just want to slide everywhere and play Need For Speed Tokyo Drift instead of exercising precise grip control :argh:

edit2: An untested quick fix (patch) was released for PC, but not yet pushed into the update system: https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=524&t=37764&sid=92ff86a425119349c19360f4d6802c37
Gonna try this now, perhaps the game will actually become playable with this...

Entropist fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 2, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Entropist posted:

edit: Oh, don't get me started on missing the old environments... Snow, Rally, Desert, Island, Coast and Bay are all essentially based around avoiding drifts from excessively sharp turning in various ways, much like real driving. This is challenging and fun and takes actual skill and mastery of your steering inputs. All the environments that came after that do not have this, and are clearly designed for drooling idiot noobs who just want to slide everywhere and play Need For Speed Tokyo Drift instead of exercising precise grip control :argh:

To be fair you should probably exclude Island from that list. Lotta high speed drifting to be had in Island. It was fun though, and it had it's place alongside Bay and Coast which were really technical.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

add me on pc theoriginal2007

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

AirRaid posted:

To be fair you should probably exclude Island from that list. Lotta high speed drifting to be had in Island. It was fun though, and it had it's place alongside Bay and Coast which were really technical.
Only if you played on those primitive fullspeed servers for idiots who did not know how to release the accelerator button. You didn't see such maps in tournaments. Drifting on Island is only advantageous at quite high speeds, like 600-650.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, I think is sent friend requests to all the ps4 people in here. If not:

PSN: belt983

I just started and had to go to work so I haven't posted many times but tomorrow I should hit it pretty hard. Haven't played a Trackmania in a long time, feels good man. Kinda bummed out by no dedicated servers but I think I can deal with that for Trackmania on my PS4

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Great Joe posted:

Snow, Desert and Island would be all I need from a Trackmania game.

Yeah, I miss that little Alpine jeep especially. :( It was awesome.

Finally had a chance to play this, and I like this track! :cool:

Like AirRaid, I'm not super crazy about the light pole, but it's not a huge deal, and the rest of the track flows really nicely! I added it to my GoonRoom, along with my latest Canyon track, which is very short (a bit over 20 sec.) and constructed entirely from boosters and drifts. You're pretty much turboing and drifting the whole time, and it makes me laugh. It might make all of you laugh too.

Room:
https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/5892

Track:
https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/AnAkaemTlmoRr9TO5ROCoS_Jr1m

Screenie:

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 2, 2016

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

drifting is loving stupid

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Eeehhh drifting can be fun in small doses. Canyon does it readable well in that you still need to have control of the slide to get the best line through the bend. I agree with this though -

Entropist posted:

Only if you played on those primitive fullspeed servers for idiots who did not know how to release the accelerator button. You didn't see such maps in tournaments. Drifting on Island is only advantageous at quite high speeds, like 600-650.

'Fullspeed' tracks aren't fun to play for me because the margin for error becomes really low and they end up being kinda samey.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The problem with fullspeed tracks is that everybody ends up with the same lap time. It's not a challenge to get the quickest lap, it's a challenge to survive the track. If you survive? You'll probably win. If you don't? You were basically just unlucky.

Tracks where there's a variety of good possible lines are the best. I mean one line MIGHT be quicker around a track, but you might be able to drive YOUR line quicker and get a better lap time than the other guy. That's a way more interesting and exciting race.

Neron
Jan 14, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

I just shared a proper platform track with a bunch of ps4 goons. They're awesome, it's annoying there's no community that can collate them on ps4. Wouldve been great to have like 10 nadeo created ones too.
All the ones I've downloaded are not in any way platform tracks.

The one I shared can probably be done in a little over 1:20. 1:40 is my best with a few restarts.

I played your track a bunch of times, really liked it! I got 1.29.323, and got a track master I guess? Only it didn't say track master but challenge master or something. Is there any way to compare your time to others on custom maps?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ran into a weird thing on the first Valley dirt track, 14. If you hit the first water obstacle in a certain way, you lose less speed in the water and gain like a second. But I didn't manage to do the same thing at the second water obstacle, and I'm not able to do it 100% of the time.
Would be lame if this block allows a random trick for such a big time gain... It seems like the world top100 also figured it out already because they had driven times that were only possible with this trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Do joker medals count towards the garage unlocks? There are a few tracks that are giving me trouble yet, but if I can unlock more car dress-up items with jokers I would be happy.

On that note, shoutout to Gammalyrae and Hubbaducky on PS4. Your ghosts have been instrumental in getting some of my gold times. Add those guys if you haven't yet.

Entropist posted:

Ran into a weird thing on the first Valley dirt track, 14. If you hit the first water obstacle in a certain way, you lose less speed in the water and gain like a second. But I didn't manage to do the same thing at the second water obstacle, and I'm not able to do it 100% of the time.
Would be lame if this block allows a random trick for such a big time gain... It seems like the world top100 also figured it out already because they had driven times that were only possible with this trick.

I was talking with a couple friends about that one. It seems like if you stay towards the left side of both puddles you'll go through faster. Just watch out for the rocks in between them.

• Locked thread