Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The gold medal ghost on that track does that. I couldn't figure it out and had to make up the time elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the early tracks I've noticed that the gold medal ghost often shows off some sort of advanced trick that gains a slight advantage, even though it's not particularly fast elsewhere in the track and doesn't need that trick to get a gold time. I found myself getting passed by the gold medal for no apparent reason a few times, and upon closer inspection it did something clever. It's nice that they did that, new players get a chance to learn what is possible.
So maybe that means this water thing is intentional... I hadn't noticed the gold doing that on that track.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Multi-lap levels suck. Especially multi-lap levels that don't consider what your speed on a straightaway would be with the additional length from before the starting point.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's a new track.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/6XBxYiZ4eWnldJFV2vnAnyOZfpl
(Terrible thumbnail, but eh)

I really enjoy the drifting in Canyon so I tried to make a really drifty track. You can get a good 1000 meter drift if you feel like being a bit of a twit :D

Probably will be the last time I try to make a track with Canyon. The amount of times that I couldn't use a piece because the road banked the wrong way or I was using the wrong sided piece was infuriating. If the roads bank the right way, it shouldn't matter what side the pretty stand is on! gently caress that poo poo off and let me put the road where I want to!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

Here's a new track.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/6XBxYiZ4eWnldJFV2vnAnyOZfpl
(Terrible thumbnail, but eh)

I really enjoy the drifting in Canyon so I tried to make a really drifty track. You can get a good 1000 meter drift if you feel like being a bit of a twit :D

Probably will be the last time I try to make a track with Canyon. The amount of times that I couldn't use a piece because the road banked the wrong way or I was using the wrong sided piece was infuriating. If the roads bank the right way, it shouldn't matter what side the pretty stand is on! gently caress that poo poo off and let me put the road where I want to!

Fun track! It took me about 10 tries to grab your AT--it's tricky short-cutting the finish there at the end. :D

The flow is nice and I like the little off-road section in there. I added it to my GoonRoom. My only complaint would be that it's possible to drill directly into that first checkpoint sign if you have too much speed off the jump right before it, which kinda sucks. :( That's something you should never be punished for, especially in a fast drifty track like this.

Edit: If you like drifting, you should try that last track I posted...

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

Fun track! It took me about 10 tries to grab your AT--it's tricky short-cutting the finish there at the end. :D

The flow is nice and I like the little off-road section in there. I added it to my GoonRoom. My only complaint would be that it's possible to drill directly into that first checkpoint sign if you have too much speed off the jump right before it, which kinda sucks. :( That's something you should never be punished for, especially in a fast drifty track like this.

Edit: If you like drifting, you should try that last track I posted...

Cheers for the feedback :)

I actually found that if you didn't try to tame your speed for that corner right after the checkpoint sign, it was possible for you to fly off the track due to the banked curve, so I stuck the checkpoint sign in to get people to pull back a smidge without having to slow down the jump or add a reverse booster or anything. The banked curve is great at washing off your speed without killing it for the next chicaney bit so It IS a bit of a dick, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. It tends to be a trap that'll only catch you out once.

I went super-wide on the high hairpin after that banked curve. Not surprised people will be able to beat my AT ;)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Entropist posted:

Ran into a weird thing on the first Valley dirt track, 14. If you hit the first water obstacle in a certain way, you lose less speed in the water and gain like a second. But I didn't manage to do the same thing at the second water obstacle, and I'm not able to do it 100% of the time.
Would be lame if this block allows a random trick for such a big time gain... It seems like the world top100 also figured it out already because they had driven times that were only possible with this trick.

Trackmania does that often, theres quite a few blocks wherd you can gain time without always taking what looks like the ideal line.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

it seemed like the lesser of two evils. It tends to be a trap that'll only catch you out once.

This is true. :)

I ported over/remade a platform track that I had been working on for TM2. It really kills me that the blockmix option isn't available on TT. :argh: I rely on that option pretty heavily when working on tracks--not to overlap stuff as much (although I occasionally do that too), but more often to just allow placement of blocks that *don't* overlap (but the bounding boxes do).

Anyway, the track is Canyon, and isn't as hard as some of the other tracks in my platform room, but it will still take you a few tries to get through it.

Track: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/3XLzR01faNyXNxGzcvEKCwyt3Wk

Platform-Focused Room: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/8601 (only three tracks in here so far)

I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to get a proper free-fly cam in-game and not have to settle for lovely in-car screenshots and tab views?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm still looking for a way to have a free cam while in racing mode, but one way around it is to save a replay (with the E key the replay of the previous run is saved), go into the replay editor (also kind of hidden) and use the free cam mode there. That's how I always used to take my screenshots, anyway.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I spent a few minutes driving in a straight line and got outside the skybox, which is dome shaped.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Entropist posted:

I'm still looking for a way to have a free cam while in racing mode, but one way around it is to save a replay (with the E key the replay of the previous run is saved), go into the replay editor (also kind of hidden) and use the free cam mode there. That's how I always used to take my screenshots, anyway.

Ah, good idea. I should have thought of that, but I haven't even touched the replay editor in this game yet. Thanks!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The bonus fun split screen mode ( 000 on ps4) is incredible. Now I like multilaps tracks, I'm finding myself wishing for more. Love that the weapons are to fire a car in front or drop it beind, and after each game if you choose to play again on the same track all the old cars are still there causing major blockages.
We got a projector in the office last week so we've been playing it on a 120" screen too.

Seriously reccomend getting 3 people over (or just one) and giving it a go. These secret modes should've been given more attention.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this game stress me out i feel i need to beat gold and this stress me out when gold gets ahead of me i feel nervous i feel tingly skin and i get stress out whe n i pass gold i am happy i am on top of the world i am everything but when i see gold next to me i am stress out and i sweat and my controller is hard to use i don know i can keep going when i lose i feel poo poo i feel like a n idiot how could gold beatm e why cant i get gold i want gold more than anything

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this would be better if i could honk in the last game i would honk when i am stressd and it wold make me feel better sometimes i would honk constantly and it would make me feel better and people would know me by my honk they woul know when i pass them because i honk and when thety beat me i would honk.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

...Okay.

Anyway I have been playing around in the editor with Valley and I came up with a couple of tracks.

First: #19 - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/3UFm_fwXHj6zw9IwFPk6QVdTDSl

A fast jumpy track on dirt.

Second, #20 - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/q7P1xc8xicfpxX0Fr0Vh4Gwfwhk

A more technical track, lots of twists, on asphalt.

The tech track was quite fun to make actually, I might do more like that if people like it. The other one was frustrating as hell since the Valley car bounces around like hell and is really hard to predict when you get it airborne, specially off uneven jumps like the dirt blocks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is it possible to play the 2 driver 1 car co-op mode on tracks other users have made online? It looks like I can play on my own created tracks, but mine suck :(

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

AirRaid posted:

The tech track was quite fun to make actually, I might do more like that if people like it. The other one was frustrating as hell since the Valley car bounces around like hell and is really hard to predict when you get it airborne, specially off uneven jumps like the dirt blocks.

Sorry, but I didn't like the tech track very much. It just felt slightly awkward and just un-fun to me. It might just be me. I liked the other one, except that if you carry too much speed uphill you have to aim pretty much blind for that slot in the cliffs. It's doable--just a little harsh. :) I added that one to my GoonRoom.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Sorry, but I didn't like the tech track very much. It just felt slightly awkward and just un-fun to me. It might just be me. I liked the other one, except that if you carry too much speed uphill you have to aim pretty much blind for that slot in the cliffs. It's doable--just a little harsh. :) I added that one to my GoonRoom.

Well it's supposed to be a little awkard. It's designed so you need to slow down for some parts and your line through some corners really makes a difference. If you didn't like it though, that's fair enough. Can't please everybody.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

AirRaid posted:

Well it's supposed to be a little awkard. It's designed so you need to slow down for some parts and your line through some corners really makes a difference. If you didn't like it though, that's fair enough. Can't please everybody.

Yeah, it's certainly a subjective opinion--I just kept struggling while I was driving it and was never able to feel like I was doing well (after 4 or 5 tries). I might have just been sucking that night.

I just made another platform track--stadium this time. It's not crazy-hard, although one CP does involve a little trickery and misdirection, but is pretty straightforward once you figure out what you need to do. ;)

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/sUnVJN0nXnLzsxgf83riGctcaQ9

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Has the PC port gotten better since launch?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

What was wrong with the PC port at launch? Other than the *real* editor being hidden behind an out of the way menu option, it's pretty good.

The only other issue people had is the lack of proper servers but that's not just a PC issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Made another ps4 platform track if anyone is still playing.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/ps4/maps/o5paHH55qOToLSOYkUCqqVcD5y4

My best is like 3:30 but a perfect run should be around 2min. I've done every obstacle perfectly, but never all in the same run and once I start failing I tend to keep doing so.

• Locked thread