Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
This game is really fun and I like the rollercoaster lagoon setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
the campaign certainly does not gently caress around. I think I spent an hour getting gold on level... 44? The second tier of canyon that involves a shitload of drifting.

I'm kind of dreading going into the second tier of valley, that's deffo my least favorite area type.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

magimix posted:

9 tiers into the campaign was enough to get me to 63/404712 ranking :stare:

So to see the Black Series tracks *at all* in a solo-campaign context, I need to gold the previous 160 tracks? :crossarms: Trials (traditionally my favoured time-trial poison) uses medals (mostly) to open up its campaign, but is nowhere near as harsh. Unlocking the 'Extreme' track tiers doesn't require you to gold-medal every prior track.

Moving on, a couple of questions:

* What is the deal with 'Joker' medals? EDIT: As summarised by someone over at the TMT forums: "You race on a track, get stuck on silver medal and after 2x getting the silver you can trade those 2 silver medals for 1 gold medal on this particular track."
* When 'stunt' mode is available, are stunts worth doing from a time-trial perspective? [1]
* What crazy junk do I need to smoke to be able to understand what the bloody hell the Record Center is trying to show?

[1] If it turns out that stunts are worthwhile, I'm in some trouble. Not so easy to use the analogue sticks when you're racing with buttons and DPAD.

Add magimix2000 on PS4; I crave leaderboard friends

I'd imagine the black series maps almost require you to be able to gold medal (or joker gold) every stage before it in order to even be competitive in it. I think i played a couple of them on random multiplayer yesterday and the people in 1st/2nd/3rd were the people who were able to finish the map with less than 3 checkpoint restarts.

also how the gently caress did you gold 55 I cannot for the life of me figure that map out.

(Also, try beating your current record on 23. That's a really easy map to trackmaster imo)

e: regarding jokers, I think you need to get three silver medals to trade it in for one gold (or three copper for one silver).

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

my psn is Arrrthritis, add me and challenge me to poo poo this game is fun as hell

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Re: 66. I had a really difficult time gold'ing that one as well last night. What I ended up doing for that part in particular was drifting almost immediately so that I had a straight shot to the checkpoint, and then traveling on the inside portion to the finish line.

I wonder how many more medals I need to get before i'm #1 in the PS4 US.

• Locked thread