Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I tried this on PC, but whenever I have my controller plugged in the cars are just full throttle all the time automatically, and no button or axis I use seems to stop it, so I couldn't really get past the first few tracks like that. I'm hoping they put out a patch for that soon so I can actually play this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

Edit: Your #13 track with the fixed tunnel has a checkpoint that, if you have to restart from it, you can't get enough speed to make the jump right after. :( Sorry man.
It's Entropist! Yay! :) The controller issue sucks really hard. :( I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem though--is it an unusual controller, or am I just unaware of a known issue?

It's been reported quite a bit on official forums for various types of joysticks, or people who have virtual joystick drivers installed. Another version of the problem involves both gas and brake being held...
They are working on a patch for controller button remapping, it might be possible to get around the issue with that, but I'm not so sure...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Auxiliary Treats posted:

Another 8-ball checking in. The ranking on the title screen doesn't show anything for me until after I play a track once. It's a little surprising how few people are playing this so far; I think I was at #4 US last night after finishing the 60s.

In previous Trackmania games the rankings were updated quite irregularly, perhaps once per day or once every two days. That means you're usually playing against an old version of the ranking - you were #4 compared to the amount of medals that people had yesterday, they likely have more today and there are probably a lot of #1s driving around, until the rankings update again. That means the total number of players is probably also lagging behind.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 29, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Slow down as necessary before the turn, and just steer sharply. This will drift the car automatically (can't help it) and a bigger drift angle also slows things down somewhat. You'll want a big angle for most of the turn cause it turns more sharply that way, but you'll also want to release the turn as early as possible without flying off the track. The sooner you can start accelerating again, the more speed you get out of the turn.

I didn't play the Turbo Stadium tracks yet but usually it shouldn't be necessary to brake THAT much on dirt... can't build up a lot of speed anyway.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

ghostter posted:

the only one I played was trackmania stadium and I loved this one server called mav's, they had a huge music playlist and a bunch of ridiculous custom maps. How does this one stack up against trackmania2? Will I still be able to race against 100 other people?

This is a console port of a PC port, so expect all that comes with that. Most of the customization options that the PC games had have been removed, no custom music (copyright issues) and you can't name anything or even change your own nickname because bad words might appear. But in some ways it is more polished and has clearer interfaces (fewer options, optimized for use with controllers). And it has an additional environment+car, though this new environment will apparently be released for TM2 as well (for free, if you bought Turbo).

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

wa27 posted:

Are the green medals just hidden platinum times? I've gotten a few with some decent times, but then I just got 145th in the world on track 63 and no green medal. What gives?

Yes, they are awarded when you beat the time driven by the author of the map, so the game devs in the case of the campaign maps. They can vary a bit, perhaps the author time on that particular track is really good.

TM Turbo also has 'super trackmaster' medals which are new, they have been driven by some of the top nolifer players from previous Trackmania games. I've seen only a few reports so far of people getting one of these medals, it probably involves reaching the world top 5 at this point.

edit: Oh, don't get me started on missing the old environments... Snow, Rally, Desert, Island, Coast and Bay are all essentially based around avoiding drifts from excessively sharp turning in various ways, much like real driving. This is challenging and fun and takes actual skill and mastery of your steering inputs. All the environments that came after that do not have this, and are clearly designed for drooling idiot noobs who just want to slide everywhere and play Need For Speed Tokyo Drift instead of exercising precise grip control :argh:

edit2: An untested quick fix (patch) was released for PC, but not yet pushed into the update system: https://forum.maniaplanet.com/viewtopic.php?f=524&t=37764&sid=92ff86a425119349c19360f4d6802c37
Gonna try this now, perhaps the game will actually become playable with this...

Entropist fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 2, 2016

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

AirRaid posted:

To be fair you should probably exclude Island from that list. Lotta high speed drifting to be had in Island. It was fun though, and it had it's place alongside Bay and Coast which were really technical.
Only if you played on those primitive fullspeed servers for idiots who did not know how to release the accelerator button. You didn't see such maps in tournaments. Drifting on Island is only advantageous at quite high speeds, like 600-650.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ran into a weird thing on the first Valley dirt track, 14. If you hit the first water obstacle in a certain way, you lose less speed in the water and gain like a second. But I didn't manage to do the same thing at the second water obstacle, and I'm not able to do it 100% of the time.
Would be lame if this block allows a random trick for such a big time gain... It seems like the world top100 also figured it out already because they had driven times that were only possible with this trick.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In the early tracks I've noticed that the gold medal ghost often shows off some sort of advanced trick that gains a slight advantage, even though it's not particularly fast elsewhere in the track and doesn't need that trick to get a gold time. I found myself getting passed by the gold medal for no apparent reason a few times, and upon closer inspection it did something clever. It's nice that they did that, new players get a chance to learn what is possible.
So maybe that means this water thing is intentional... I hadn't noticed the gold doing that on that track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm still looking for a way to have a free cam while in racing mode, but one way around it is to save a replay (with the E key the replay of the previous run is saved), go into the replay editor (also kind of hidden) and use the free cam mode there. That's how I always used to take my screenshots, anyway.

• Locked thread