Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Trackmania Turbo was released on March 24th. We don't have a thread yet for this fun game, so this is the thread.

Platforms
- Playstation 4
- Xbox One
- PC - requires Uplay.

Ok, but for those of us couch surfers looking to play one of the best arcade racing series of all time. Trackmania has finally made the move to the Xbox One and Playstation 4 gaming machines.

Trackmania Turbo contains 4 different racing environments. It brings Trackmania 2's Stadium, Canyon, and Valley environments as well as a brand new "Roller Coaster Lagoon" environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBnVGJMieC0

The game comes with over 200 premade tracks along with a track editor to create new tracks, Trackmania Turbo also has a random track generator, that randomly builds a track while you watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJgV5h11DiI

Multiplayer allows you to do time trial racing with upto 100 other players (collision free for new players to the series).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMlnV1tRTdU

Trackmania Turbo also has what sounds like a pretty bad game mode (maybe it's fun, I dunno). It allows you to do um, COOP driving... Um yea, 2 players driving one car with 2 controllers, really not sure how that one works, sounds weird as gently caress to me! Also has 4 player split screen.

Like I said above at the beginning, this game on PC seems to have lost a lot of the customization that's fun in Trackmania2, also gone is the dedicated servers and the mod-ability of Trackmania2. Oh and it also requires the use of UPlay.

Looks like a really fun game for consoles. Maybe a good game for PC, but probably better to just wait for them to release the new environment into Trackmania 2 instead.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, I hadn't tried it on PC. But they did just port Trackmania Turbo to PC from the console versions, and they did a really bad job of it. The best option is to wait until Nadeo releases the Roller Coaster environment into Trackmania 2.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

No, I was serious in the OP, don't buy this for PC. Nadeo never intended this to be a PC game. Its literally a port of the console. Buy it for PS4 or Xbox one and have a nice time chilling on the couch.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

AirRaid posted:

:confused: My game detects and uses my 360 pad just fine? It even dynamically switches input prompts between pad and keyboard if I swap what I'm using.

Having said that, the game and the driving itself owns but the UI for the editor is goddamn awful.

I'd like more friends for ghosts if anyone still has this on PC, I'm BearRaid on Uplay.

I'm not playing it on PC so I am just posting second hand information. But a lot of folks have had severe issues with setting up controllers with the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

OneDeadlyBum posted:

I've spent a pretty good amount of time with this in the beta, and more recently, the demo. It seems rad, but i've got some concerns about its long term appeal if playing custom tracks with others is difficult to impossible. One of my favorite things about nations when I played it all those years ago was hopping on to a server and discovering some hot new garbage that someone spent a few minutes slapping together in the editor.

Yes, this is a just reason to be concerned. You can join random servers started by someone with random maps on it, but it's not nearly as good as it is with Trackmania2 (and nations) where they have actual dedicated servers just running with thousands of random tracks in circulation.

Also, it's really brave of Nadeo to put the rankings the same way in this new version, it directly shows the user base for the game. As of when I played it Friday night, there was less than 30,000 people in America that have the game on Xbox One (it's like in the 200ks for worldwide). Although Trackmania has always been a national game with more players playing outside of America, it's still interesting to me.

I think ultimately, the real appeal of Trackmania Turbo is the split screen options and the super arcade style of the game. Would be a good fun game to have running in the background of a party. Especially with being able to have upto 16 people playing with the double driver mode.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

de la peche posted:

Any major advantage to getting it on the PS4 over the Xbox One or vice versa?

Get it for the system you like best and the system you and your buddies have controllers for the split screen action! Seriously, you can have upto 16 people play this poo poo with double driver.

From what cubical gangster posted, it looks like the game has 3 times the userbase on Xbox One in the US with about double the playerbase worldwide on PS4. But, there is basically no chat functionality in the game.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 27, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Electromax posted:

Feels like there's nobody playing on PS4. I've only played TM2 years ago and played through the first ~7 boxes (of 10 things each) and I'm #2 in Illinois and #7 in the US, with not a ton of people. Only about 10k in the US total. Seems low. I'm getting silver on all of them with some golds but mostly just going through them, I only played for a few hours over the weekend total. Normally any game with leaderboards and I'm deep in the thousands at best.

It will take time for people to figure out that Trackmania is an awesome game, the population will increase. That being said, Trackmania has always been huge worldwide with a much smaller player population in America. Also, this is a brand new franchise for consoles without a lot of hype around it's release.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

How is the track editor on console? I had Trackmania (the original) for PC and loved making tracks in the desert and snowy environments, snaking in and out of mountains and stuff :3: If the consoles are a real pain in the arse compared to keyboard/mouse I guess I will have to go for PC though having it on console would be kinda nice. I don't suppose there's any chance whatsoever that you can plug a key/mouse into the console is there?

Honestly, if you could switch between the "normal" and "advanced" mode on the console version it would be great. But you are stuck with either/or it seems. Normal is great for building something quick, it's pretty easy but it's lacking some major things from advanced mode (like deleting any track object instead of just the last one you built. It's kind of nice, the advanced mode is pretty complicated for seemingly no reason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So the console track editor is pretty much unusable? Advanced being the only real option but not suited to controllers?

I wouldn't say that, it's pretty okay, just the advanced mode uses the joysticks to pick the pieces and is kind of a pain in the rear end.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I wish they would bring about the Grand Prix part of Coast :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Entropist posted:

Ran into a weird thing on the first Valley dirt track, 14. If you hit the first water obstacle in a certain way, you lose less speed in the water and gain like a second. But I didn't manage to do the same thing at the second water obstacle, and I'm not able to do it 100% of the time.
Would be lame if this block allows a random trick for such a big time gain... It seems like the world top100 also figured it out already because they had driven times that were only possible with this trick.

Trackmania does that often, theres quite a few blocks wherd you can gain time without always taking what looks like the ideal line.

• Locked thread