Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
This is my first time with the franchise. I was lucky enough to be in the closed-beta, and my time with that sold the game to be big-time. Have been playing the poo poo out of it since it came out (or rather, since the Euro pre-order kerfuffle was sorted :argh:). I'm giving it a break for a while now, however, since its done a number on my hands :haw:

One thing that was interesting to learn, initially when seeing the beta, but *very* much so when seeing the full game, was that contrary to what I'd previously been exposed to (people chillaxing on heavily customised servers, listening to Cher remixes and dub-step), Trackmania has got some legit challenge to it. The campaign progression is pretty brutal.

9 tiers into the campaign was enough to get me to 63/404712 ranking :stare:

So to see the Black Series tracks *at all* in a solo-campaign context, I need to gold the previous 160 tracks? :crossarms: Trials (traditionally my favoured time-trial poison) uses medals (mostly) to open up its campaign, but is nowhere near as harsh. Unlocking the 'Extreme' track tiers doesn't require you to gold-medal every prior track.

Moving on, a couple of questions:

* What is the deal with 'Joker' medals? EDIT: As summarised by someone over at the TMT forums: "You race on a track, get stuck on silver medal and after 2x getting the silver you can trade those 2 silver medals for 1 gold medal on this particular track."
* When 'stunt' mode is available, are stunts worth doing from a time-trial perspective? [1]
* What crazy junk do I need to smoke to be able to understand what the bloody hell the Record Center is trying to show?

[1] If it turns out that stunts are worthwhile, I'm in some trouble. Not so easy to use the analogue sticks when you're racing with buttons and DPAD.

Add magimix2000 on PS4; I crave leaderboard friends

magimix fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

de la peche posted:

Any major advantage to getting it on the PS4 over the Xbox One or vice versa?

Apparently runs somewhat better on PS4 - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-trackmania-turbo-performance-analysis

Beyond that, I figure there'd be a capacity for greater sales on PS4 due to install base, and thus more scope for leaderboard competition, lasting multi-player, user-created content, and so forth.

Not that I'd call any of that *major* though, with respect to your question.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
I know it is only 3 laps, but man, the multi-lap tracks can be the most annoying things to get medals on sometimes. I forget for sure the track number (either #85 or #90), but it is big on booster pads and engine cut-outs, and just before the track start is a sharp u-turn that you need to coast through. Had a *great* run, but got into a pickle on the final corner. Slid into the siding, losing all forward momentum maybe 1-car length from the finish, a few seconds later seeing the medal-ghost trundle through.

gently caress VIDEOGAMES FOREVER! :argh: gently caress THEM FOR ALL TIME :supaburn:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

What determines your ranking and emblem next to your name at the main menu? Mine's rank 0 and an eight-ball though my mascot is some dice. It keeps telling me my progress to Challengemaster 0 and 1 are both at 0 medals too. Is it just broken? I'm on PS4.

Starblade_15 on PS4 by the way for time comparisons. This game's really fun!

I'm top 20 for medals and barely through the campaign.

I didn't start working towards 'rank 1' until I started spending time racing in multiplayer rooms. Solo-campaign gives you medals, and contributes to leader-board position, but not that rank thing it seems.

• Locked thread