Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I've spent a pretty good amount of time with this in the beta, and more recently, the demo. It seems rad, but i've got some concerns about its long term appeal if playing custom tracks with others is difficult to impossible. One of my favorite things about nations when I played it all those years ago was hopping on to a server and discovering some hot new garbage that someone spent a few minutes slapping together in the editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

cubicle gangster posted:

There are a little over 400k on ps4, but only 10k in the US. Should break a million sold on consoles.

Beta data carried over to the full release, iirc. The demo version definitely lets you participate on the leaderboards too, so these numbers might be slightly inflated.

I enjoyed the demo enough on PS4, but decided to pull the trigger on PC instead. In spite of the awful reviews, it seems to be doing okay for itself, as evidenced by my screenshot and Steamcharts

edit: The initial setup sucks. It's annoying to have to go through an extra step by setting up a uPlay account. Fullscreen mode can be weird, the interface was the right aspect ratio, but the game was rendered in 4:3 and then stretched to fill which looked bad. My controller is accepted as a dinput device (even though it's xinput), so both triggers can't be engaged simultaneously. I adjusted by using A to brake and initiate drifts, which works well enough. Apparently, patches are coming to fix controller issues, and i've heard that some method of track sharing / naming is coming eventually, too. Most of the problems I had with the game on PC were solved with a little bit of tinkering, and haven't been a problem since. YMMV.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 27, 2016

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Looks like playing the maps you want online is easier than I initially thought. I was just kind of joining whatever servers that were showing me they had players in them, but making your own room allows you to specify exactly what's going to be played and for how long, down to little details like what order for the maps, how long, which environments, or even your own custom tracks. Your playlist gets sent to the master server, and then a server with your name on it is created.

You don't have to pay for it to be hosted or keep your PC on, and if you edit the room instead of deleting it, others can favorite it and come back at a later point. It's a little less direct than pasting in an IP, but with a tiny bit of extra effort in terms of coordination outside of the game itself, most of what you'd expect with a dedicated server is possible in this game, even on the console versions.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I think my final verdict on the PC port is, if you have the option to buy it on one of the consoles, do it. I happen to think that the technical issues with the PC port are forgivable (and the major ones are being patched), but even the Xbox One version simply has more players and you'll have an easier time playing the maps you want with other players online, just by virtue of the fact that there's more players around to join your room instead of someone else's.

If you aren't too picky about what you play online or the console versions are inaccessible to you, the PC port will probably be perfectly serviceable for most people in a patch or two. If you have any doubts, apparently a demo is coming to PC "soon", i've seen next week thrown around as an ETA.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
I went through the thread and added some folks on PSN.

Let's compare times or whatever else friends in this game can do, add me @ GammaLyrae on PSN, or Gamma.Lyrae on Ubi's network for the PC version. I'll be playing both versions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

H13 posted:

How do you share tracks? I've got mine public and validated (with a time that I couldn't do twice...) but it's not coming up on that website?

Aas Bandit: I gave that track a go. It's nuts!

I think leaderboards and tracks take awhile to update. Last week the global leaderboards were frozen at 405,000 something users for PS4, and I managed to climb up to #2 in the USA boards. This week there's 700,000 something people and I dropped down to the mid 200s, rank-wise.

To better answer your question, the easiest way to get people playing your track is to make a room that includes your track and just keep playing in that room. Eventually people will see there's at least 1 player in there and start joining up. As far as specifically sharing the track for others to play (such as your friends or people in this thread), I haven't figured that out yet.

• Locked thread