Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Platforms
- PC (Don't buy this, it's just a console port that somehow doesn't have controller support). Requires Uplay.

:confused: My game detects and uses my 360 pad just fine? It even dynamically switches input prompts between pad and keyboard if I swap what I'm using.

Having said that, the game and the driving itself owns but the UI for the editor is goddamn awful.

I'd like more friends for ghosts if anyone still has this on PC, I'm BearRaid on Uplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Just in case you didn't know (I didn't realize it for a while myself), you can switch to "classic mode" in the editor, and never have to think about the console-centric shitfest that it defaults to again.

Where is this option hidden? I didn't find it and I'd love to start making GBS threads out track like I did with sunrise and nations.

E: gently caress, need to remember to actually check that top bar settings button, found it. My single disappointment about this game is gone. :krad:

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 27, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Played about with the proper editor and knocked up something half decent pretty quickly.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/mOwJc74wr96kkmAbZbINoc8JZtc

Forgot to set a proper thumbnail though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Added you and your track to my favorites. I haven't actually tried it yet, but it will make it easy to find. :) Also, yeah, the thumbnail thing. Goddammit. I did the same thing on my first track and apparently there's no way to delete/redo upload, whatever? Bleh.

Edit: Okay, that's pretty fun! I had to add it to a room to play it--is that the way stuff works, or am I missing something?
The room with your track is here: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/5675

I got 40 seconds and change, after a couple of runs. Is there some way to see how that compares to medal times or master/author time?

Do we want to make a general "Goon Tracks" room for PC? I'd be happy to add whatever tracks in there people make if they post them...
Disclaimer: If something's really lovely, like going around in an oval for 23 laps, I'm not going to force people to play your lovely troll tracks. :)

Anyway, if anyone wants to give this a try, it's a relatively short (master time 50 seconds), but balls-hard valley platform track. I'm curious how long it takes someone to finish it. :)
https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/pqQTwt2PQfdUy6EFhJAKjtSCCK7

My room with the track is here: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/5700
I'll be adding more tracks to that room that will make you swear a lot.

Thanks! I tried your track and uh, wow. Balls hard indeed. I'm not a huge fan of those stupid hard platform tracks though. I only made it to the 2nd checkpoint. :ohdear:

I made another track, Rollercoaster lagoon this time. Then I made a second one using mostly the same road but in reverse!

Direction 1
Reverse Direction

I made a room with those two tracks in it - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/rooms/5802

I think I did that right.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I tried a bunch of things for that tunnel jump, couldnt quite get it to work right.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I had issues with #66 too for a while. Mostly the long left hander toward the end and then the transition off the beach to the right, always threw me in the air if I was going fast enough to challenge the gold. And then -

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Drifting works great in Canyon. In valley it will snap-oversteer you into a goddamn tree most of the time. If you're breaking traction in Lagoon you're doing it wrong. (unless you're on that wood surface, then good luck getting any grip at all)

Really you just need to drive each car a bunch to get to grips with how they handle. The White series is pretty much designed for that.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

f#a# posted:

Canyon: Drift your heart away while always having the pedal to the metal. The grip you get when you come out of a drift can be weird, be ready for it.
Valley: Have a feather touch on the steering, these things lose speed if you do a hard turn and tend to oversteer any way. Avoid drifting. These courses are all about finesse of control. Also, hold and release LB to jump...?
Lagoon: Huge grip, tight turning, high speed. Don't drift, most corners are designed for you to be flooring it and hard turning, but coming out of a turn can get a bit squirrely. Get a feel for it.
Stadium: Don't drift, and avoid braking at all. Focus on your line instead, and don't be too afraid to let off the throttle if you're understeering.

To caveat your Stadium advice, Drifting round dirt sections is the best way to maintain speed, but it only really needs a slight angle, Stadium car still has a ton of grip.

Also another thing, Usually if you want to slow for a corner, letting off the gas for a moment then getting back on it at the apex is way better than ever hitting the brakes, unless it's a hard U-Turn or you need to get a drift on. Probably 90% of the time hitting the brake is the wrong choice.

Edit:

I revisited my #8 track and fixed it up. Sorted the dumb tunnel jump and made the end a little less dull.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/G8YIOjAaFi4QGwx91ofkFClha15

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 28, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Finished up another Lagoon track, having great fun messing about with the rollercoaster pieces.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/yBROGXi4xrz8II97VFUxNjeiqYb

SGB: Can you take out the "don't buy this" warning for the PC version in the OP? Seems like it's wholly untrue.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Edit: Your #13 track with the fixed tunnel has a checkpoint that, if you have to restart from it, you can't get enough speed to make the jump right after. :( Sorry man.

Well you can still finish because that other tunnel still links up :( But I should fix that I guess.

Edit: As an aside, I played a bunch of random MP last night and I think one dodgy checkpoint is a minor issue comparing to some of the steaming crap people are playing out there. :v:

E2: Okay fine I fixed that jump. That was me being dumb actually, I had previously fixed it and then accidentally removed the piece I placed.

Final version of this track, If I have to edit it again I'm gonna be pissed. :argh: https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/7gaOaxOKEmH7A5YJ0i0_6KXC32l

Bonus other Lagoon track which isn't perfect but is alright - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/yBROGXi4xrz8II97VFUxNjeiqYb

Also, I find it annoying that you can't remove tracks you've uploaded from the "cloud". So those two older versions will forever be there.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 29, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Megabound posted:

I've got Turbo on PC, and I haven't experienced any weirdness although I haven't tried to use a controller. Much fewer graphical glitches than Trackmania 2, and the tracks telegraph what's coming up a lot better than it as well.

e: The crane drop as a rolling start is a good idea, but why not just have a rolling start? I'm pretty sure they had that feature in Sunrise.

Sunrise didn't have rolling starts, this is the first time they've tried something like that, and I think it owns. You can vary the speed you get off the roll in ramp by how high you place the chopper start piece.

Also, any PC peeps that haven't already, post your uPlay names so we can friend up and get some leaderboard ghosts and poo poo. (I'm BearRaid)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

H13 posted:

Well I think this'll work? Here's the track that I made.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/TX0w5FWN_xf46EuKiL4HKmT19I9

This is pretty good actually! Only a couple of issues:

- the last checkpoint is right before a jump and there's no way you'll make the jump if you need to restart there.
- the last jump is a bit harsh. You can make it if you nail the initial jump up to the tunnel and make it clean through, but if you tag the sides at any point you won't make it, and if you do have anough speed but are dead center you'll hit a light pole on the curved road you fly over, which is a hell of a kick in the pants if you've nailed the rest of the track.
edit: third issue, after the the top loop on the coaster section with the engine cutout, there's a track twist which is normal track rather than the sticky blue, and it's possible to have enough speed to fly off the track at that point.

Apart from that it's good fun though. I would like some Mediatracker elements to swap the cameras for the rollercoaster/loop sections but its not hard to flip it yourself when you need to.

As an aside, is it possible to even do that outside of the classic editor? Seems weird to limit consoles from doing that at all.

Also, if anyone isn't aware, there is a way to play a friend's track offline without making a room. You need to go to Multiplayer, then Arcade, then you can pick a track from your favourites and play that way. It'll tell you when you finish when you beat the medal times this way too.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2016

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I don't think I even saw the avoid center sign.

You don't need a ghost to add race cameras, just place the trigger across the track then add a clip and use "Race Camera". Internal for the first person view (making sure the duration is long enough, default is 3 seconds) and then use another clip setting it back to race camera - default at the end of the track segment.

As an aside I actually like the engine cutout you have at the top there, having the only sound being the 'womp-womp' of the magnetic track as you go over the top is neat.

As a rule I always use a blue track piece on the roller coaster unless I specifically want to make the car leave the track.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The main problem with coast was actually a problem a lot of the environments share - roads that are just too narrow. You have no room for error on so many parts of those tracks that the tiniest mistake slams you into a wall and that run is effectively over. And yet the other parts of those environments are great. Even valley, which I don't really like, is fine when you're on dirt and you've got room to slide, but you throw in some narrow gaps and those tight bends in the paved roads and the car just can't handle that stuff at speed and it's frustrating. The only environments that get away with it are the fast grippy ones like Lagoon and Bay, where the cars can actually turn those corners at speed and not lose traction and understeer into the wall.

I liked Coast, but only when you had room on the track to work with.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Entropist posted:

edit: Oh, don't get me started on missing the old environments... Snow, Rally, Desert, Island, Coast and Bay are all essentially based around avoiding drifts from excessively sharp turning in various ways, much like real driving. This is challenging and fun and takes actual skill and mastery of your steering inputs. All the environments that came after that do not have this, and are clearly designed for drooling idiot noobs who just want to slide everywhere and play Need For Speed Tokyo Drift instead of exercising precise grip control :argh:

To be fair you should probably exclude Island from that list. Lotta high speed drifting to be had in Island. It was fun though, and it had it's place alongside Bay and Coast which were really technical.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Eeehhh drifting can be fun in small doses. Canyon does it readable well in that you still need to have control of the slide to get the best line through the bend. I agree with this though -

Entropist posted:

Only if you played on those primitive fullspeed servers for idiots who did not know how to release the accelerator button. You didn't see such maps in tournaments. Drifting on Island is only advantageous at quite high speeds, like 600-650.

'Fullspeed' tracks aren't fun to play for me because the margin for error becomes really low and they end up being kinda samey.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The gold medal ghost on that track does that. I couldn't figure it out and had to make up the time elsewhere.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

...Okay.

Anyway I have been playing around in the editor with Valley and I came up with a couple of tracks.

First: #19 - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/3UFm_fwXHj6zw9IwFPk6QVdTDSl

A fast jumpy track on dirt.

Second, #20 - https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/q7P1xc8xicfpxX0Fr0Vh4Gwfwhk

A more technical track, lots of twists, on asphalt.

The tech track was quite fun to make actually, I might do more like that if people like it. The other one was frustrating as hell since the Valley car bounces around like hell and is really hard to predict when you get it airborne, specially off uneven jumps like the dirt blocks.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

aas Bandit posted:

Sorry, but I didn't like the tech track very much. It just felt slightly awkward and just un-fun to me. It might just be me. I liked the other one, except that if you carry too much speed uphill you have to aim pretty much blind for that slot in the cliffs. It's doable--just a little harsh. :) I added that one to my GoonRoom.

Well it's supposed to be a little awkard. It's designed so you need to slow down for some parts and your line through some corners really makes a difference. If you didn't like it though, that's fair enough. Can't please everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

What was wrong with the PC port at launch? Other than the *real* editor being hidden behind an out of the way menu option, it's pretty good.

The only other issue people had is the lack of proper servers but that's not just a PC issue.

• Locked thread