Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had it for an hour on PC, then returned it. The driving itself? loving awesome. Seriously, it's probably better than TM2. I've played every version of Trackmania and it's up there with the best of them. Everything AROUND the driving though is a hot mess.

- I've got a Joystick as well as a XBone Controller. If the joystick is plugged in, your car will accelerate for you 100% of the time. While this is great for a PF track, if you ever need to ACTUALLY slow down, you're screwed (obviously). Note that when I was looking into this bug, some people reported that their car would reverse 100% of the time.

- The Xbone controller drops out and cannot re-connect.

- When you exit the game, it kills your mouse driver. You can drag your mouse around the screen (at about 5FPS), but you can't click on anything and the mouse will make weird noises while you drag it uselessly around the screen. The only fix so far is to reset your computer.

- I had 2 crashes to desktop. Both of which resulted in the mouse bug. So it would crash, then I'd need to restart the computer anyway.

- There's basically no car customisation. While I couldn't care less about that, this seems to be an issue for people.

- The "Classic" track maker is buried in an option menu within the track maker itself. Interestingly enough, in this menu I found the options to rebind the keyboard\mouse controls for the racing. It wouldn't let me change anything, but so far this is the only place where it MIGHT be possible to change the key bindings.

- Nobody's really sure how you share those awesome tracks that you can make.

- Motherfucking UPlay

+/- The moddability of the game seems to be in question. It doesn't look like you can do much. I think this is a good thing because I hated all the extra crap that would clutter up a screen on some servers, but a lot of people seemed to like that poo poo.

+/- The controller issues MIGHT be a problem on Microsoft's end. However I have no controller issues in any other game so I find those claims to be awful suspect.

+ Once you find the classic track maker, it's as good as ever.

+ Works fine with KB\Mouse. Except that it seems to kill your mouse.

+ Seriously, the driving is awesome. I'm a sad panda that everything else is broken because I was having a blast.

It's definitely NOT worth the price of admission at the moment. If it was half price I would tentatively recommend buying it and hoping they fix all the controller issues later, albeit hesitantly. The game itself is awesome, it just breaks everything when you play it. I'm gonna give it 6 months, then pick it up in a sale after they've fixed everything. Or maybe in 6 months the game has died a painful death. We'll wait and see. If there's a patch that comes out and fixes everything, do let us know because then I'll probably buy the game again and be as happy as a pig in poo poo.

H13 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh man. It gets worse.

I found out how to share tracks.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/

Now since you can't NAME your tracks, when you click on "Tracks" you get a whole bunch of <NUMBER> by <USER>

That's gonna make it real easy to identify specific tracks.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I bought this again due to the news of a patch next week.

The game does work fine provided you're happy running it Mouse and Keyboard. I adore the Lagoon tracks.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Auxiliary Treats posted:

How do you guys handle the wooden surface in lagoon? That's probably what gives me the most trouble so far.

With tonnes of swearing and wondering who put that horrible surface in an environment with super-grippy cars, fast roads and freaking roller-coaster pieces.

I find it a LOT easier to drive those surfaces in external view rather than bumper cam. Finger off the accelerator and drift through it like a pregnant Semi-Trailer on ice.

I find driving on the beach worse to be honest :\

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
How do you share tracks? I've got mine public and validated (with a time that I couldn't do twice...) but it's not coming up on that website?

Aas Bandit: I gave that track a go. It's nuts!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I think this'll work? Here's the track that I made.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/GVGJZrF1kMyYZWvfpHFswhkuOVg
Updated Version. Thumbnails don't match but it's the right track

This method of sharing tracks mightn't actually be shite. As long as it works....

H13 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 31, 2016

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

AirRaid posted:

This is pretty good actually! Only a couple of issues:

- the last checkpoint is right before a jump and there's no way you'll make the jump if you need to restart there.
- the last jump is a bit harsh. You can make it if you nail the initial jump up to the tunnel and make it clean through, but if you tag the sides at any point you won't make it, and if you do have anough speed but are dead center you'll hit a light pole on the curved road you fly over, which is a hell of a kick in the pants if you've nailed the rest of the track.
edit: third issue, after the the top loop on the coaster section with the engine cutout, there's a track twist which is normal track rather than the sticky blue, and it's possible to have enough speed to fly off the track at that point.

Apart from that it's good fun though. I would like some Mediatracker elements to swap the cameras for the rollercoaster/loop sections but its not hard to flip it yourself when you need to.

As an aside, is it possible to even do that outside of the classic editor? Seems weird to limit consoles from doing that at all.

Also, if anyone isn't aware, there is a way to play a friend's track offline without making a room. You need to go to Multiplayer, then Arcade, then you can pick a track from your favourites and play that way. It'll tell you when you finish when you beat the medal times this way too.

Cheers for the feedback! I'll make those changes to the last checkpoint and the track twist. I didn't know that the blue was sticky. I put the engine cut-out to try to control your speed a little to prevent people from flying off at that point, but adding the sticky blue bits would help a lot too.

That light pole on the last jump IS a pain in the rear end. But I can't do much about it because it's part of the S bend. That's why I put the helicopter above it with the "Avoid the center" sign. In regards to the last jump itself, as long as you hit MOST of the boost pad in the tunnel, you'll make the second half really easily. I was able to consistently nail the jump pretty easily as long as you slow your first jump into the tunnel mid-air a little in order to hit the boost pad. I like it being a little bit tricky because it's a big sexy jump that requires a bit of finesse ;)

I couldn't get the media tracker to work for me. It wouldn't load a ghost? The "classic" track maker is still a little broken. Keyboard shortcuts don't work at all.

That said, glad you liked it :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Updated version:
https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/GVGJZrF1kMyYZWvfpHFswhkuOVg

I couldn't get the media tracker to behave. I don't have external view set as default (Need to be external to see how you're drifting, but I prefer to be internal 75% of the time) so when I would use a block to set the camera to "Default" it would switch to an external view, even if I started the race on the internal camera. Pain in the rear end. I set it to switch to internal for the rollercoaster bit and just let it stay there. After that you've got a jump, a loop and a big jump that being internal for is a help so I don't think it takes anything away from the track ;)

Added a sticky bit, fixed the checkpoint, left the last jump at the end because I like that it's a dickish sort of jump ;). Cheers for the feedback though :)

Now how do I delete the first version from my profile? Couldn't do it in-game, can't do it online either :\

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So I'm having some trouble with what is objectively the worst environment across the whole of Trackmania: Stadium. God knows why they brought this back rather than literally any of the others they skipped over in favour of it but here we are - how the gently caress do you turn on dirt? At the moment I'm just slamming on the brakes while turning and it's not so much a drift as it is a crawl, but any attempt to take the turns without braking to a very low speed just leads to me shooting off the side of the track. What am I missing here? How do you turn on dirt without a massive dip in speed?

Stadium has steadily got worse and worse as the series continues. I remember the cars used to have a really fast turning circle, so they were agile as all hell. Nowadays, they're kinda sluggish.

My trick for the dirt tracks on stadium is to try to stick to the middle of the road. Don't try to hit apexes. I think the further to the edge you get, the more your car slows down so if you gently drift through the corners aiming for the center of the road, you'll be pretty quick and stable.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

ShineDog posted:

The medal requirements later in the campaign are nuts though. Gold on every track to get to the black tracks sucks when I don't even like the valley and lagoon cars very much

The lagoon cars are my favourite provided that:
A) They're on a sealed road.

B) They're on a roller-coaster bit.

They suck monkey bollucks at drifting.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think my favourite environment is still the Bay from Sunrise.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The problem with fullspeed tracks is that everybody ends up with the same lap time. It's not a challenge to get the quickest lap, it's a challenge to survive the track. If you survive? You'll probably win. If you don't? You were basically just unlucky.

Tracks where there's a variety of good possible lines are the best. I mean one line MIGHT be quicker around a track, but you might be able to drive YOUR line quicker and get a better lap time than the other guy. That's a way more interesting and exciting race.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's a new track.

https://players.turbo.trackmania.com/pc/maps/6XBxYiZ4eWnldJFV2vnAnyOZfpl
(Terrible thumbnail, but eh)

I really enjoy the drifting in Canyon so I tried to make a really drifty track. You can get a good 1000 meter drift if you feel like being a bit of a twit :D

Probably will be the last time I try to make a track with Canyon. The amount of times that I couldn't use a piece because the road banked the wrong way or I was using the wrong sided piece was infuriating. If the roads bank the right way, it shouldn't matter what side the pretty stand is on! gently caress that poo poo off and let me put the road where I want to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

aas Bandit posted:

Fun track! It took me about 10 tries to grab your AT--it's tricky short-cutting the finish there at the end. :D

The flow is nice and I like the little off-road section in there. I added it to my GoonRoom. My only complaint would be that it's possible to drill directly into that first checkpoint sign if you have too much speed off the jump right before it, which kinda sucks. :( That's something you should never be punished for, especially in a fast drifty track like this.

Edit: If you like drifting, you should try that last track I posted...

Cheers for the feedback :)

I actually found that if you didn't try to tame your speed for that corner right after the checkpoint sign, it was possible for you to fly off the track due to the banked curve, so I stuck the checkpoint sign in to get people to pull back a smidge without having to slow down the jump or add a reverse booster or anything. The banked curve is great at washing off your speed without killing it for the next chicaney bit so It IS a bit of a dick, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. It tends to be a trap that'll only catch you out once.

I went super-wide on the high hairpin after that banked curve. Not surprised people will be able to beat my AT ;)

• Locked thread