Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Peta posted:

I can't tell if Brainiac Five is trolling or not. This seems like a pretty rare combination of dislikability, arrogance, stridency, and monumental stupidity.

Well, it's too bad that all these things are predetermined, then. Else I might be liable for being a strident hysterical bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:aaa: it makes so much sense. "Hey fucko" is only one letter removed from effectronica's "hey bucko", even :aaa:

(Did effectronica get 30 day probated again or something? I haven't seen it posting lately).

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, it's too bad that all these things are predetermined, then. Else I might be liable for being a strident hysterical bitch.

You don't get determinism. If life is a lottery and you draw numbers, it doesn't matter to you whether the winning numbers were determined before or after everyone has drawn.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Fortunately for me the fact that genetic and environmental factors made you into a particular thing doesn't preclude me calling you that thing, viz., a strident hysterical bitch.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

blowfish posted:

:aaa: it makes so much sense. "Hey fucko" is only one letter removed from effectronica's "hey bucko", even :aaa:

(Did effectronica get 30 day probated again or something? I haven't seen it posting lately).

It even explains the creepy anime avatar.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

No one here has been ruder than yourself.

Hypocrisy coming from all sides today, it seems.

Well its hard to keep a straight face when being called a child. Being told I must be using it as a crutch. That I must be like the Nazis. It was wrong for me to observe that you are being rude.

Liberal_L33t posted:

because they were more intelligent & vastly morally superior (by modern standards, i.e. the only standards that matter) to the unimaginative peasants who were the majority then. and they threatened the petty tyrants who wanted to use Rome's corrupt pyramid scheme of a religious system to line their own pockets and perpetuate a religious life of ritual and patriarchy instead of individualism and transgressive mysticism.

seriously, I realize this is impossible to prove but I believe that western civilization would have been so much better off under a gnostic christianity.

You seem to be allergic to actually defending the subject of abrahamic monotheism itself, as opposed to furiously hurling out race cards to shut down criticisms of a hegemonic majority religion(s).

As he's pointing out, even putting metaphysics aside and assuming that it IS as likely as not that the god of the Old and New Testament exists... claiming complete fidelity to these texts is still borderline indefensible purely on ethical grounds.

My question to you (and Crowsbeak, etc) is this: if you don't want all of the horrible, genocidal actions and disgustingly oppressive laws from your holy books to be held against your belief system, loving take them out. Disclaim them. Repudiate them. You don't have to be a religious leader to do this! Your religious belief system belongs to you and you alone, and to say otherwise is just dodging moral culpability. You don't even have to get all Thomas Jefferson and physically remove the evil parts from your gilt-leafed books.

All you have to do is say "Some parts of the Bible (or Koran, Torah) are absolutely wrong and I do not believe they were acts of God, or given any moral sanction by Him. Sections (x,y,z) are irreconcilable with what civilization now knows to be good, and so a good and loving god would not commit or condone them. The parts sanctioning and mandating slavery, patriarchy, forcible conversion, mass murder etc. were NOT the creations of god, but were created out of whole cloth by the human writers, or inserted by an evil power; context or not, there is not and never has been any kind of justification for such acts. Taken as a whole, the teachings of the Bible (Koran/Torah) inform modern morality without being above and beyond it or dictating it."

Why can't this be done? On a large scale or personally? It would certainly make selling your religion to modern progressives easier, don't you think?

Edit:

I have no problem calling ultra-orthodox jewish believers followers of an evil ideology, actually. There really isn't anything good to be said about them, socially and politically speaking.
1. All matter is evil sounds like a great belief. Along with those who do not see are really dirt and they can be abused . That is a great belief. Perhapse the only belief that actually defined them.

The rest we cannot be certain being that they never had popularity so most of their texts are lost to history. Mostly not from persecution. But because most texts that people have no reason to consider important would be reused. On why the Niceans didn't turn Rome into a liberal democracy. They didn't because such concept didn't exist. Also if you bring up Athens. Athens killed people for introducing new Gods. So it certainly wasn't this beacon of tolerance, and the Romans as their persecution of Christians and general supsiciousness of Mystery religions showed were themselves not the beacons of tolerance that Edward Gibbon would like us all to believe. Finally I would like us to not turn into either religious or secular crusaders in eternal war with the Muslims.

Also I'll fallow the teachings of the actual creator and not instead tell people that if they don't see as I do they are dirt. Likewise as I made clear all can be saved. Even in Hell. How is that not acceptable? Unless people just don't liek to admit to being wrong. But then we could all do well to be not so prideful. Also being that the New Covenant supercedes Leviticus why does this matter? I mean considering your advocacy of eternal war on Islam I find it hard for you to condemn anyone for genocide.

Finally as the old saying goes. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Peta posted:

Fortunately for me the fact that genetic and environmental factors made you into a particular thing doesn't preclude me calling you that thing, viz., a strident hysterical bitch.

It does seem ridiculous to treat inherent phenomena as negative, though. Nobody can help anything they do, since the capacity to make decisions is physically impossible.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well its hard to keep a straight face when being called a child. Being told I must be using it as a crutch. That I must be like the Nazis. It was wrong for me to observe that you are being rude.

You were rude from second one. You don't actually give a poo poo about rudeness, you just want to feel superior.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

You were rude from second one. You don't actually give a poo poo about rudeness, you just want to feel superior.

I really don't. I just point out when people engage in denying history. Along with comparing me believing in God to being like the Nazis. If that is rude, then I would like to know what politeness is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

I really don't. I just point out when people engage in denying history. Along with comparing me believing in God to being like the Nazis. If that is rude, then I would like to know what politeness is.

Admitting you'd have to be mentally handicapped to believe in a religion and then ritually flagellating yourself for dipshit positivists.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

We just point out when the old testament is basically a compilation of ancient methods of genocide, torture, and oppression.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crowsbeak posted:

Well, I compared God's actions to Hitler's. I never said you were a Nazi.

The Nicaean Christians very actively suppressed every other Christian sect and other religion in the Roman Empire.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Hmmm. A person overly identifying with their unfounded belief in something. Unprecedented.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Agreed. Atheists shouldn't feel insulted when people say they'd never vote for one, because that's identifying with something. Identity politics. Before you'd know it, you'd be as stupid as the guy who founded JPL.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Agreed. Atheists shouldn't feel insulted when people say they'd never vote for one, because that's identifying with something. Identity politics. Before you'd know it, you'd be as stupid as the guy who founded JPL.

If you could actually provide a coherent line of reasoning for this, we could actually debate and discuss it. Too bad you instead lump every bad opinion about your debate opponents together and call it a day post.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

The Nicaean Christians very actively suppressed every other Christian sect and other religion in the Roman Empire.

Actually not till Theodosius did they do that. The first lifetime they didn't and in fact they were subject to persecution from another sect of Christians, the Arians, and the strange platonist monotheistic paganism that Julian pushed . Now I personally think they shouldn't have done so.But I doubt the movement of Arianus would have done so well with out Imperial support. Similarly I doubt the Iconoclasts would have gone anywhere without imperial support.

blowfish posted:

Hmmm. A person overly identifying with their unfounded belief in something. Unprecedented.
Like Atheism.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

If you could actually provide a coherent line of reasoning for this, we could actually debate and discuss it. Too bad you instead lump every bad opinion about your debate opponents together and call it a day post.

When I say "atheists should all be shot", it's overidentification to think that this means I think any atheists should be shot. You are not your khakis.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Nobody called you a Nazi. See? There you are, lying straight to our faces yet again. Are you actually capable of telling the truth?

Crowsbeak posted:

Like Atheism.

I think I've identified the problem: you don't actually know what words mean. Is English a sixth or seventh language for you?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

When I say "atheists should all be shot", it's overidentification to think that this means I think any atheists should be shot. You are not your khakis.

Find a comparable statement I made anywhere in this thread. At this point I think everyone itt is completely justified in calling you a lying bastard.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Find a comparable statement I made anywhere in this thread. At this point I think everyone itt is completely justified in calling you a lying bastard.

Do you understand that I'm mocking the idea that people are oversensitive essjaydoubleyous if they take "You worship a Nazi" to reflect badly on them, by applying the logic more generally? Of course you don't!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Do you understand that I'm mocking the idea that people are oversensitive essjaydoubleyous if they take "You worship a Nazi" to reflect badly on them, by applying the logic more generally? Of course you don't!

maybe it's because you're bad at analogies :eng101:

also, if you are trying to say s.j.w. you should just say robocop, this is something awful after all :toot:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Nobody called you a Nazi. See? There you are, lying straight to our faces yet again. Are you actually capable of telling the truth?

I think I've identified the problem: you don't actually know what words mean. Is English a sixth or seventh language for you?

Yeah I can see now you are just being disingenuous. Also I can see you are personally find with the nazi comparison. Thanks for proving my point on the rudeness though. BTW do you ever attend tea party rallies? Also Atheism is a movement.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

maybe it's because you're bad at analogies :eng101:

also, if you are trying to say s.j.w. you should just say robocop, this is something awful after all :toot:

I enjoy the persistent refusal to think in your posts. It means you're already basically a walking corpse.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

i have yet to run into ultra religious people who would qualify for even reddit criteria of sjw-dom, so i don't even understand how that applies beyond you including every bad opinion about me in your ad-hom argument

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

i have yet to run into ultra religious people who would qualify for even reddit criteria of sjw-dom, so i don't even understand how that applies beyond you including every bad opinion about me in your ad-hom argument

Oh, you're just ignorant of how that argument you're using has been applied, historically.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Oh, you're just ignorant of how that argument you're using has been applied, historically.

then enlighten me, a silly pleb

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

then enlighten me, a silly pleb

No, I won't cast pearls before swine. Do you have any substantive replies? Perhaps an example of proving the existence of a nonexistent thing?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

Perhaps an example of proving the existence of a nonexistent thing?

Hmm, that's by definition not possible, but congratulations you have described why religious beliefs should not be afforded more importance than random personal opinions.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

Hmm, that's by definition not possible, but congratulations you have described why religious beliefs should not be afforded more importance than random personal opinions.

So when you demanded that I provide evidence for the converse statement, you were lying?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

So when you demanded that I provide evidence for the converse statement, you were lying?

When you claim that god exists or religion is ~real~, you need to provide evidence if you want that to be anything more than a random opinion. I don't believe you ever will, but it's not in principle impossible for you to make a good argument even if in reality you can't

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

When you claim that god exists or religion is ~real~, you need to provide evidence if you want that to be anything more than a random opinion. I don't believe you ever will, but it's not in principle impossible for you to make a good argument even if in reality you can't

I didn't claim either of those things, little child.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Brainiac Five posted:

I didn't claim either of those things, little child.

Brainiac Five posted:

Exactly what I said. If some religion is true, it has physical existence. This doesn't automatically mean it's von Daniken poo poo.

like a few posts above the one you just made

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Sorry if i compare one genocidal murderer to another.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

like a few posts above the one you just made

In English, you stupid little Teuton, the word "if" signals a conditional phrase, a hypothetical statement. If a religion is provably true, then it must, by necessity, have some sort of physical existence that can be interacted with. Clearly, you don't have the brainpower to argue this, and should remove yourself posthaste.

Panzeh posted:

Sorry if i compare one genocidal murderer to another.

Sorry if I conclude that childish provocative statements suggest that atheism is attractive to people with underdeveloped brains.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

The Gnostics died out for not being popular. Sorry you cannot deal with history

Why should the way of God be popular? This history is something to grapple with.

If there is some evolutionary advantage to cognition that can have 'numinous' fugues, a sense of external oversight and judgement - doesn't that suggest anywhere the chemical reaction of life gets complex enough, similar minds could emerge. Humans are likely too fragile to go far into space economically, since the turn of the century jahhiliyah has overtaken all popular belief and 'unbelief' for example:

blowfish posted:

Materialism is cool and good.

Blowfish what are your beliefs about the singularity? It's a funny world - Christians who might imagine heaven as an easy chair and a tv, or a very selfish vision of being lord of a planet - atheists scoffing at them - but then wanting to put their minds in computers so they can never grow old and do what? Or besides the computer option people imagine having the money for medical means of extended life. But what are the ethics of that?

It is possible that global healthcare disparities will be such that the rich and the poor will become separate species - kind of like good, old HG Wells. I would imagine the people who just get bandaids and flu shots will stay homo sapiens - while people with access to lifespan and fertility treatments, IVF, and emerging genetics techniques will be able to make GATTACA progeny who will diverge. Not exactly Morlocks and Eloi.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McDowell posted:

Blowfish what are your beliefs about the singularity? It's a funny world - Christians who might imagine heaven as an easy chair and a tv, or a very selfish vision of being lord of a planet - atheists scoffing at them - but then wanting to put their minds in computers so they can never grow old and do what?

The Singularity is dumb as gently caress and people who believe in it deserve to be mocked just as much as people who think that heaven is real.

Crowsbeak posted:

Also I can see you are personally find with the nazi comparison.

Ah yes, surely if you lie more then people won't find you to be a liar.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

McDowell posted:

Why should the way of God be popular? This history is something to grapple with.
A good and true McDowell statement. Broken clocks etc.

quote:

Blowfish what are your beliefs about the singularity? It's a funny world - Christians who might imagine heaven as an easy chair and a tv, or a very selfish vision of being lord of a planet - atheists scoffing at them - but then wanting to put their minds in computers so they can never grow old and do what? Or besides the computer option people imagine having the money for medical means of extended life. But what are the ethics of that?

The singularity nerdrapture may or may not happen and is boring. AIs getting better than humans at doing a thing is just a question of time if AIs keep improving, and besides computers also taking over creative jobs from humans and not just complex-but-repetitive tasks nothing that nerdrapture worshippers imagine will come true. The main question is will we feed the out-of-work with free food and give them free stuff or will techlords build an army of robocops to secure the gated communities against the starving masses.

Ethics of extending life or copying yourself into a computer are also boring. Does it harm other people? If yes, reconsider whether you should do it. If no, who cares?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

If there is some evolutionary advantage to cognition that can have 'numinous' fugues, a sense of external oversight and judgement - doesn't that suggest anywhere the chemical reaction of life gets complex enough, similar minds could emerge. Humans are likely too fragile to go far into space economically, since the turn of the century jahhiliyah has overtaken all popular belief and 'unbelief' for example:

It is possible that global healthcare disparities will be such that the rich and the poor will become separate species - kind of like good, old HG Wells. I would imagine the people who just get bandaids and flu shots will stay homo sapiens - while people with access to lifespan and fertility treatments, IVF, and emerging genetics techniques will be able to make GATTACA progeny who will diverge. Not exactly Morlocks and Eloi.

I actually am a slight heretic I do not doubt God has blessed others spiritually.

Who What Now posted:

The Singularity is dumb as gently caress and people who believe in it deserve to be mocked just as much as people who think that heaven is real.

Ah yes, surely if you lie more then people won't find you to be a liar.

All right now I am lying. I think being an atheist is like being a nazi.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 9, 2016

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you assume that everyone who's an atheist believes that "mild" child molestation is better than growing up religious, then everyone can agree that you're an rear end in a top hat. But if you assume that everyone who's religious believes in some genocidal maniac and follows this being, you're simply telling truth to power, because the raw words of the Bible are more authoritative than anything else, if you're an atheist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

All right now I am lying. I think being an atheist is like being a nazi.

See, now you're telling the truth. So I suppose you are lying about lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

See, now you're telling the truth. So I suppose you are lying about lying.

Why don't you use your psychic powers to avoid accusing another atheist, like me, of being a religious believer?

• Locked thread