Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

can't wait to see how people react to the mod's posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Hefe posted:

i mean I'm Latino and I've been watching stuff like dragon ball since waayy before it got to the US since Japanese animation was really popular in the 80s and 90s here but there's a reason anime has the reputation that it has and it's because there are lots of shows with stupid poo poo that makes you roll your eyes

I'm glad Jojo sticks to action and silly stuff from time to time without falling into the typical anime tropes

Condiv posted:

ditto

tired of all the uguu poo poo. moe is also bad

El Hefe posted:

Not really, this is the only anime that I watch and it's exactly because it doesn't feature the typical highschool scenes with the awkward boys in love with the big tiddies girl who calls him oni chan.

El Hefe posted:

I'm glad there isn't any light side stuff filled with typical anime bullshit.
I finally found it, the AIDS motherlode

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

El Hefe posted:

That's cool and if you like that type of anime that's fine by me I just don't want it in the one anime that I like, Jojo.

Tough

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Beef waifu

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

If you really like part 3 then good for you, i'm just offering a dissenting opinion for people asking what they need to catch up and are told they have to watch every episode because it's really important by JoJo fanatics. You can skip a poo poo load of Stardust Crusaders and not miss out on much at all. You don't need to watch 40 minutes of baby Polnaroff to appreciate the overall story.
:yikes:

quote:

I've only watched the dub so i don't know about this.
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

Yeah i guess you don't have to watch anything if you're going to fallaciously take my point of view to extremes. Good observation.

Maybe it's just a cultural difference since i'm british. American TV shows like to take a good thing and keep churning it out until the horse is well and truly beaten to death, whereas british shows tend to go for a shorter episode count where it's all high quality. I can't stand watching american shows with hundreds of episodes where nothing much happens either.

I'm British, you're wrong

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wrong about US TV, Wrong about jojo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

I haven't watched The Wire, but i did stop watching Breaking Bad half way through the second season after about the third time he stopped making the drugs then started making them again.

haha you're such a bad poster

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I love (really don't love) how "filler" has come to mean "Anything that isn't immediately imperative to the plot and can be skipped because reasons".

Skipping stuff like Judgement means you're skipping character development, which...is the story?

This is correct.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ah yes, the character development of cumberbitch's sherlock

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There's a difference between "filler" and "padding", and most of you don't know it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In the end, it's jojo's bizzare adventure, and a good chunk of that adventure is how jojo and friends get to egypt after their plane is downed, and Dio sending his henchmen out to stop them.

Part 3 is actually very well paced

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord of the rings, is everything between Frodo leaving the shire (journey start) and throwing the ring in the mountain (end goal) filler

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

Stardust Crusaders sets itself up as a story of "Holy poo poo we have to get to Dio before it's too late!" but then it quickly grinds to a halt with fight after fight that isn't particularly notable or interesting. I don't know how you can say how it doesn't have padding seeing how all the egyptian god stand users were added after Araki's publisher told him to keep it going because kids couldn't get enough of it. If they had kept it to the 18 or so tarot fights and made them as interesting as the J Geil arc then sure watch them, but there are whole lot of fights that don't add much of anything and can be skipped without ruining your enjoyment of the series.

Diamond is Unbreakable on the other hand sets itself up from the start as the wacky adventures of Josuke and friends, and most of the arcs are a lot more interesting than the ones in Stardust Crusaders. I did feel like there a couple of weak arcs towards the end but not to the extent that i would skip large parts of it. I've watched every episode of The West Wing multiple times as well, because despite not being particularly narrative driven all the self contained episodes are interesting enough to sustain themselves and the characters are interesting and likable.

hosed up that, at some point, he had to find an interesting way to extend the manga so that he could earn a living

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CJ posted:

My original post that got the JoJo fanatics so rustled was in reply to someone asking which episodes of SC to skip because his girlfriend didn't have time to watch all of it and wants to get caught up to him. Taking the absolute stance that you have to watch everything or none at all is silly.

She should just watch all of it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I started catching up with the 2012 anime, and holy poo poo do they glaze over the whole the axis committed terrible atrocities thing.

Is the manga as bad at this?

It's not relevant, to jojo, and is something people found out about after the war, mostly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But yeah I agree what jojo part 2, battle tendency needed was the nazi character asking people if they are jewish

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hmmm, Caesar, you see, killing the Pillarmen is very important, however, I'm very gravely concerned about Germany's repeated violations of the Treaty of Versailles, particularly in re-occupying the de-militarized zone in Rhineland and the annexation of Austria. The rumblings that Hitler may next invade Czechoslovakia are of great concern and could well lead to a global conflict. I've not even gotten started on their abominable human rights records and intense persecution of the jewish populace, homosexuals, the disabled or people of colour. I will however say that Lisa Lisa's rear end is loving BANGING.

Baps that don't quit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Every anim with soldiers or ww2 should have a Japanese guy stare at the camera and specifically apologise to us, the gaijin

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Momomo posted:

The whole Nazi thing is unfortunately just something you have to grit your teeth at, but I can understand feeling uncomfortable with it. You can't have explicit Nazi imagery and pass it off as just Jojo being Jojo, since future parts don't do that sort of thing.

Future parts aren't set in the mid 1930s, in Europe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Momomo posted:

It being in 1930s Europe means it's alright to portray the Nazis in a positive light? The last example of him doing this was part 6 mentioning KKK members, and they sure as hell weren't good guys.

Lmao

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Best not portray the robonazi as cool. Let's mourn the sacrifice of jojos friends Caesar

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baal posted:

Araki putting Caesar on a loving imaginary cross for the third JoJonium of Battle Tendency is about one of the most hamfisted things he's done

And that dude tried to deify Dio a dude who's so petty you could not see him as any sort of god

Dio is a god

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Unless Stroheim going back to massacring jews w/ the Nazis and dying a 'noble death' in stalingrad is an anime addition there's not much that Araki can do to fix the problem.

I mean, I shouldn't have expected more out of Araki. He is just a writer from a country that refuses to acknowledge their own atrocities during WWII. Him conveniently not giving as much detail about German/Italian history during WWII era as he did with every other era/country his series covers.... It's not surprising. Just disappointing.

Robo nazi man going back to kill jews being in the same epilogue as scrappy black sidekick man becoming the first black mayor in Georgia is just lol.
ahaha stop posting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Man, I haven't heard that song they use for the ed since I was a kid.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm going to spoil this anime, no joke

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

Gas this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't like to have the next episode spoiled. I never watch movie previews for the same reason.

Jojos bizarre adventure part 4: teaser is not spoiler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

I strongly suspect Goku was never meant to return after the Frieza saga, because you could remove him from the Cell saga entirely and it wouldn't have actually changed anything.

This has been debunked a stupid amount of times

• Locked thread