Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Butt Ox posted:

What a beautiful Duwang

chew

this feels like a friday

Enourmo posted:

get a friday so complicated

Your Friday I can feel deeply!!

also, gently caress you if you didn't read Part 4 back when Duwang was all that was available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm pretty sure Kakyoin's defining trait is being a loving bird man who lays eggs

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

If you're about to watch Diamond is Unbreakable, do yourself a favor and go watch at least a few episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho's dub.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

Still holding out for Under Pressure.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
O, oh! Very pretty!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's other shots where they're a lot easier to see.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think "Crazy Diamond" is said out loud a lot less than the characters' names, at least, so it'll be less obvious than the voice actors very clearly saying J. Geil or Oingo while the subs say Centerfold and Zenyatta.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The "kureji" in Crazy Diamond is just as distinct as Oingo/J.Geil really, so I doubt anyone will have issues connecting Crazy Diamond's real name.

Yes, but if you'd taken the time to read my post, my point was that the Stand name is said out loud a lot less than the guys who have a song where they say their names multiple times

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Hefe posted:

Not really, this is the only anime that I watch and it's exactly because it doesn't feature the typical highschool scenes with the awkward boys in love with the big tiddies girl who calls him oni chan.

Name three shows that do this

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Jojo is immensely popular

What are the typical anime tropes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
you should read Sengoku Youko

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

So why does Old Joseph hardly ever bother to use Hamon? He trots it out a couple times, but I would think it would supplement his Stand abilities quite well

He's got a few moves in the Capcom game that involve using Overdrive or hitting someone with ripple through Hermit Purple's vines.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Clearly what Joseph needed was the awesome power of the zoom punch

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm gonna bet on any song featured in Crazy Taxi.

I don't know who owns those songs but I don't care

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like that Josuke's favorite team in Oh! That's A Baseball! is the same as Jotaro's

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you didn't read the manga, please post a lot because I want to know what you think

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Like Iggy, Koichi will become more beautiful later

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
You keep it right-to-left so that every time WcDonald's shows up in a manga it doesn't become s'dlanoDcW when you flip it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
For example, here's (most of) a page from Battle Tendency:

If you just mirror it (along with Smokey's "Uh?" there), you get a problem with the text:

And you could just rearrange the panels (crudely, in my case), but because Jojo (and, well, a lot of manga) doesn't really use rectangular panels, it ends up looking really awkward:

It could also be a problem if, for example, you've got a plot point like someone being left-handed.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't think Jojo is the series you're looking for if you're interested in analysis of real-world events

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Hmmm, Caesar, you see, killing the Pillarmen is very important, however, I'm very gravely concerned about Germany's repeated violations of the Treaty of Versailles, particularly in re-occupying the de-militarized zone in Rhineland and the annexation of Austria. The rumblings that Hitler may next invade Czechoslovakia are of great concern and could well lead to a global conflict. I've not even gotten started on their abominable human rights records and intense persecution of the jewish populace, homosexuals, the disabled or people of colour. I will however say that Lisa Lisa's rear end is loving BANGING.

On second thought I'm 100% in favor of this being added to Battle Tendency

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Enourmo posted:

they realized that stardust crusaders peaked with the oingo boingo episode and figured jojo was getting away from lighthearted fun on account of the dio's mansion arc

(the second best episode(s) is hol horse/boingo)

A very grim, serious match of Oh! That's A Baseball!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Johnny Joestar posted:

DiU is definitely the most 'slice of life' of any of the arcs in general, but for those who might be slightly worried about any mention of that:

1) don't be

2) it's jojo's, these first 3 episodes should give you a pretty clear idea of what to expect. all the parts are pretty distinct from each other but they are all distinctly jojo's.

DiU just has the highest concentration of goofin', which means we get to see a lot more of the characters actually being friends compared to it mostly being limited to smaller stuff in SDC like the Kakyoin/Polnareff high five and the cigarette thing in the Oingo Boingo episode

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Back in my day if you wanted legal Jojo you could buy, like, the first two volumes of Stardust Crusaders from Viz, and they were out of print

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Condiv posted:

it's like when that vampire was being called "idiot" in japanese and they left it untranslated so the joke was incomprehensible

The worst part about this one is that five seconds on Jisho will give you a really great translation for "a nickname for a stupid guy"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

I mean there is but those are usually the shows that get censorship steam/shadows covering 90% of the screen.
Also: Reminder that Stardust Crusaders gratuitously censored the smoking of cigarettes with conspicuous shadows

Okuyasu and Josuke would fit right into Cromartie High School

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Change every Stand name to the Weird Al parody

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

no they will not posted:

my favorite jojo is the bitter cynical self loathing one who spends all his time saying sarcastic stuff and sitting on his rear end

thanks, friend, but I'm not actually a jojo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thoth is basically completely worthless

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
They would get approximately nothing out of taking it to court. I doubt anyone's going to cancel their CR subscription over the music references

It sucks that it has to be that way but there's a character later in part 4 who will explain to us that Americans just don't have good taste

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are you saying you wouldn't date Bruford

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Shigeru Chiba played Kuwabara! Wataru Takagi is apparently Daffy Duck and Great Teacher Onizuka, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
There's gonna be a problem if Christopher Sabat doesn't do the dub voice for Okuyasu, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
"G'noon"?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It was kind of lame for a long-running, popular, cool manga series to not have any anime adaptation aside from a short OVA that barely covered anything, mostly.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The most major DiU character is you, the viewer.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
there's a lot of nuance and meaning in the word "nukesaku" that we foreigners simply can't understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Oh, that's how you can balance McCree: Sometimes he accidentally shoots himself in the head

• Locked thread