Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Kira Yoshikage Wants a Quiet Life is a slice of life romantic-comedy about a small town salaryman who's learned to appreciate the little things in life. Handsome, intelligent, and naturally disarming, Kira Yoshikage paradoxically prefers to stand out of the limelight, content to live a life of peace and quiet. Unfortunately, he's got a bit of a problem: a local group of no-good hooligans have taken to harassing him for no good reason, even going so far as to interupt his lovelife! A slave to his own modest creature comforts, does Kira have what it takes to triumph against adversity and reclaim his peaceful life?

A modest man of considerable talent, Kira Yoshikage likes to take things at his own pace. Despite his generally laidback demeanor, he's a little awkward around women he likes and tends to get a little handsy, a habit that typically kills his relationships. Otherwise, he's lead a pretty good life. Likes cats.

An old aquaintance of Kira's, it sometimes feels like Reimi Sugimoto hasn't aged a day. She disapproves of his lifestyle, perhaps wishing he'd have aimed for nobler things, but there's little she can do beyond nagging to his neighbors. Likes dogs.

Insult his looks and you'll wind up in the hospital, Josuke Higashikata is the leader of the delinquents set on disturbing Kira's worry-free life. Tall and intimidating, Josuke has little trouble "Converting" people to his way of thinking, and is always on the prowl for his latest fix. Hates turtles, but why hate Kira?

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is an action-adventure manga written and illustrated by noted rock fan and unconfirmed vampire Hirohiko Araki concerning the many weird and varied experiences of a group of people nicknamed "Jojo" who are all related to each other in some form or another. First published in 1987, Jojo was originally envisioned as a generational tale that was supposed to be told and wrap up neatly in three separate, easily-digestible story arcs, or "Parts." We're currently on Part 8. It's been nearly thirty years.

Twenty-five years into this gig, Araki finally managed to land himself a TV anime deal with David Productions. Parts 1 and 2 were adapted in 2012, followed by the ever-popular Part 3 in 2014. Well now it's 2016, so you know what that means.

Welcome, friends, to Jojo Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.

If Part 3 can be considered the "Definitive" Jojo, Part 4 is perhaps the most "Beloved." Having concluded the core story he wanted to tell with the first three parts, Araki decided he really liked the concept of stands, actually, and wanted to see what else he could do with it. Thus was Part 4 born! Sometimes called JoJo's Bizarre Slice of Life, Part 4 takes a more modest, more human direction, focusing exclusively on the sleepy Japanese town of Morioh, S City M Prefecture, based off Araki's own hometown of Sendai. Entirely fictional, Morioh nonetheless feels like a fully realized location, and is probably one of the stronger arguments for the setting of a story being a character in its own right. Our protagonist this time around is Josuke Higashikata, just a regular high school student with a single mother and a dated dandy hairstyle. The power of his stand, Crazy Diamond, allows him to "Fix" things by returning them to their original form, an ability he uses to defuse tense situations, solve mysteries, and hatch zany schemes. Just don't make fun of his hair, or he might fix you up worse than how you started out.

The bulk of Part 4, then, is just Josuke and his friends getting into (and out of) all kinds of trouble. There's an overarching plot with a certain amount of gravity to it, but as with Part 3 it's much more about the journey than it is the destination. So take a load off, enjoy yourself, and settle in to Morioh.

RULES FOR THE THREAD
  • Don't post spoilers. If you'd like to talk about the manga, you can do so here.
  • Don't post nudge nudge wink wink, "Quoting for posterity," "Can't wait to see how people will react to" garbage in here. That kind of posting is way more obnoxious and insufferable than flat out posting spoilers ever is.
  • Parts 1, 2, and 3 are fair game for discussion.
  • Once a new episode comes out, everything that occurs in that episode is fair game for discussion. New episodes come out on Friday, so don't use this thread to check if there's a new one out; if it's Friday, it's out. You can still use spoiler tags if you want to but nobody has to and nobody will be punished for not using them. Don't waste my time by reporting people who aren't using spoiler tags to talk about things that just happened. Watch the show you goons.
  • Legal, official streams will be available through Hulu and Crunchyroll. If you're not using official, legal streams to get your Jojo fix, I don't care, but don't post about them in this thread.
  • Occasionally Baal will post telling you to read the manga. That's his job. Let him do it.
  • Read the manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

THE STORY THUS FAR

A decade after the death of Dio Brando, the Joestar family is once again in peril. Jotaro Kujo, accomplished marine biologist and psychic, has been dispatched to the town of Morioh, yet again burdened with an unreasonable request. His mission is to track down two different people: a mysterious serial killer whose methods are unknown, and an ordinary high schooler who happens to be his uncle.

CHARACTERS

Koichi Hirose is a perfectly ordinary high schooler, but not the one Jotaro's looking for.

Jotaro Kujo is a perfectly ordinary world famous globetrotting marine biologist psychic weightlifter whose accomplishments include murdering an orangutan and a vampire. He was the protagonist of the previous part. He is not the protagonist of this part.

Josuke Higshikata is the protagonist of this part. He's the ordinary high school student Jotaro is looking for. What's with that stupid hairstyle?

Crazy Diamond is Josuke's stand, a visual manifestation of his latent psychic powers. Crazy Diamond fixes things by punching them really hard. He'll fix your face.

"Angelo" is the mysterious serial killer whose methods are unknown. Jotaro's still looking for him. Probably has a stand. Hates dog poop.

PVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T169qvumms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXdK3O_dYKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagUdy3AY14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofoOFCP6TTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZd3H6qC1Gc

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

This show is going to be good but you wouldn't know it by the terrible thread.
This is true of the majority of threads in this subforum.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Having read most of the threads in this subforum, "Yes."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Also that dude who claims is an alien is actually an alien
That's unconfirmed, thank you very much.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Two different episode counts have been reported.

We're still waiting to see what's what.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Enough.

The next person to post Jouta dies.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's more of a nen thing, really.

I get to make up rules and if you break them, you pay the price.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Deadly Premonition, but with stands.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Condiv posted:

imagine the 7th stand user but made by bethesda

Baal posted:

Give JoJo to a not lovely developer

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please redirect all game chat to the manga thread, thank you.

We've already got a big huge thread for discussing any and all things Jojo; I'm fine with the activity this thread's seen but let's leave it aside for the anime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Read the manga" and hype posting, of course, is still permitted.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Still holding out for Don't Stop Me Now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Baal posted:

What happens when I stop time forever
I'll get a bunch of posters together, go over to your house, and beat you up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Please fund my kickstarter to travel around the world in an attempt to beat the living daylights out of former mod Baal.

Our first stretch goal is the adoption of a Boston Terrier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna miss Aurain after Baal puts a big ol' hole right through his stomach.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've changed my mind, this will be the Part 4 ED:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQAZmbcNImI

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just watched the first episode.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Diamond is Unbreakable is gonna be really good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ctrl+F Jotaro Kujo to Jotaro Cujo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've always liked that Josuke heals the turtle, even though he's afraid of it.

He really is a good guy.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Centerfold thing is weird to me, as is Cool Ice, as VIZ apparently got both those people's permission to use their names in the manga. Like, I appreciate that Crunchy was just kinda subbing on the fly and maybe didn't have time to do their homework but I'm hoping the official DVD dub/sub reverts back.

I've also never liked that we couldn't keep Steely Dan, considering the band Steely Dan stole that name themselves from a book.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's an acceptable change, I just dislike that they had to change it to begin with.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Basically no matter how good of a father George tried to be to the boys, Dio always viewed his love through the self-affixed lens of being a charity case.

Part 1 Dio strikes me as the sort of person who needs to feel in control of the situation, even if they aren't. Growing up in the slums with a good-for-nothing father, it's easy to see how he might have come to think this way. There are those who go with the flow and those who fight the current. Dio's a fighter, or tries to be. The greatest sin in his mind is not pride or greed or lust but powerlessness; allowing oneself to be swept along by fate and circumstance. His father was born a loser and he lived a like loser and he died like a loser. Dio wanted better for himself, and probably would've preferred to make his own way. I doubt he knew about the letter when he poisoned his father, but all of a sudden it turns out he gets to go live with some rich folks. Well, Dio's not in the mood to be "Given" anything but he'll "Take" as much as he wants. In his own twisted mind, that's how he justifies "Earning" his success.

The end result is a sort of psychological paradox where Dio's more than happy to take advantage of people but refuses to accept acts of kindness, not unlike how somebody might resent everyone above them while dismissing anyone below. George talks about "Supporting" Dio, "You're family to me," which Dio likely processed as "That's right. I'm like family to him. Not actually family, just like family. Just a kid he picked up off the street because he could - because he promised. He made a promise before I was even born. I could've been anyone; he wouldn't care. He'd accept me just because, through no merit of my own." Although Dio's aim has long been established as the Joestar fortune, he objects to being "Handed" his victory in this way, and resents George for thinking himself so generous when he's just (in Dios mind) fulfilling his end of a social contract, an obligation, or "Fate."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You joke but this ain't even a quarter of the stuff I could write about Dio.

Dude's my favorite villain period. Gonna read too much into him all I want!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Okuyasu that comic's definitely got spoilers
I'm experimenting with a more relaxed atmosphere regarding spoilers in this thread in hopes of bringing it to the rest of the board, but yeah, just gonna go ahead and turn that imagine into a link.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Nah I yanked it altogether, I'll only share amaryllis comics in the manga thread.

Good luck on loosening things but I'm betting it's a no go given how fraught things are elsewhere with this right now. I said something in the manga thread about it because it's... there's discourse on the matter. DISCOURSE.
Discourse is cool. Ideally I'd like a board where nobody has to use black bars at all cause it's pretty easy to pick up on when you're reading about future events and just -stop- reading. Barring the sort of person who runs around shouting out sound bites like CHARACTER DIES at the top of their lungs, written spoilers shouldn't be too much to get worked up about.

Images though you can't help but look at, so please link them instead of posting them directly. You don't even need to put a spoiler warning up necessarily, just give people the option to view it instead of imposing it. Most posters should be smart enough to figure out from context whether or not what they're about to click on is a spoiler, and the one's who aren't, well, gotta take those training wheels off sometime.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Not really, this is the only anime that I watch and it's exactly because it doesn't feature the typical highschool scenes with the awkward boys in love with the big tiddies girl who calls him oni chan.
I have a feeling you're not going to enjoy Part 4 as much as you did the previous three parts.

You could stand to look around a bit more, though. There are a lot of shows that avoid exactly what you're talking about, including several that takes place in high schools.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

I already read part 4 and it's my favorite part
Cool.

Then respect the thread and don't be slinging this shade in here.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

i mean I'm Latino and I've been watching stuff like dragon ball since waayy before it got to the US since Japanese animation was really popular in the 80s and 90s here but there's a reason anime has the reputation that it has and it's because there are lots of shows with stupid poo poo that makes you roll your eyes

I'm glad Jojo sticks to action and silly stuff from time to time without falling into the typical anime tropes
Anime has the reputation it does for a lot of reasons, some deserved, some not. There are certainly trends, but there are typically about as many shows that buck them as follow them. A discerning eye and a little common sense is usually enough to sniff out which is which.

It's fine that you don't like certain aspects of anime, but there are a lot of shows out there that are more or less exactly what you want (that being action and silly stuff without high school romance or whatever), so disparaging the whole medium like how you're doing is akin to saying all American films, save perhaps for one or two a year, are superhero schlock just because superhero schlock happens to be flavor of the month.

You're not obligated to like stuff you don't like, it's just that posting that way is a huge conversation block.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

El Hefe posted:

That's cool and if you like that type of anime that's fine by me I just don't want it in the one anime that I like, Jojo.
That's not really what this conversation is about.

I'm glad you've found something you like, I'm just asking you not to take a random dump on everything you don't like, apropos of nothing. Comments like that, out of the blue, will derail a thread without really even providing a good secondary track for it to run down since it's effectively a conversation nonstarter.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gonna give this thread a lunch break.

When we come back, please talk about Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDEbsZpweDo

And we're back.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No one can be sure where the Beef ends and the Chief begins.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I still wanna know what the Russians were packing at Stalingrad to be able to take down Stroheim.

Jojoverse Russians must be crazy gnarly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Stroheim wasn't present for Joseph's funeral.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Araki Forgets, His Readers Benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Meant to comment on this yesterday but I was a bit tied up: if you're reading this thread and you're a new fan but you're feeling intimidated because of all these series veterans posting, making in-jokes and telling you to read the manga, please don't be. It's just that we're in the midst of a golden age for Jojo fans the world over and we're all very excited. We love first time reactions, newbie speculation, and liveblogging episodes. Please, join us. If you enjoy Jojo, you're welcome here.

:justpost:

• Locked thread