Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
Since this is the pet forum I feel like we could do with a good pit bull thread. While GBS likes to show their goony fear of the outside world by proclaiming all bully breeds to be horrifying time bombs, I think the pet forum probably has a slightly more realistic view of what they actually are.

Based on googling I've found that pit bulls have been used for everything under the sun from bull baiting to even herding. They started out as butcher's dogs but when bull baiting became defunct they found a new purpose as "nanny dogs;" using their extreme bravery and gentility to protect children. People trusted them with their own babies.

What went wrong? In short, dog fighting. sometime during the late 19th century some vile thugs decided that the pit bulls strength and versatility would make it do just fine as a fighting dog. Through feeding them drugs, beating them, starving them, you name it, they taught these good dogs that the only way to survive was to be violent and fight for their master. When they lost they were tortured, brutalized, and killed for the embarrassment their loss brought to their owner.

From what I've read it seems like this went on throughout the 20th century even though dog fighting was illegal. Pit bulls became known for their violence and propensity towards mauling children. They made headlines and were banned in most places and no one wanted to own one.

What changed things? Basically, Michael Vick. That cause put pit bulls back into the spotlight and hearing the horrors of dog fighting seemed to make the world realize that the real monster in this scenario was people. Since then, hundreds of rescues have formed to restore the name of the pit bull dog, and guess what? turns out that when you take these dogs out of abusive, violent, blood sport setups, they very quickly go back to the nanny dogs of yore. Pit bulls are finding favor again as therapy dogs, pets, and even police dogs. Rescues are creating networks to save as many as possible and as word and examples of the pit bulls ability to be no different from any other dog spreads; the breed is finally recovering and people are learning the truth about what a pit bull really is.

Surely we have pit bull owners in PI who would like to share their amazing dogs. Post your pits here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

wtftastic posted:

I love pit bull nanny dogs. I wish I could have one but the elitists who own my complex won't allow them! That's terrible!

BSL (discrimination against different breeds of dogs) is so common and its so sad. I mean if you think about it, how is it any different from racism? It's illegal to discriminate against humans of different skin colors and background so why is a dog any different? Luckily, times are changing and there is a LOT of BSL being overturned across the US. As long as everyone continues to fight we will be able to continue to show people that banning a dog based on looks is wrong. Raise them to be good, and they will be. The ability of former fighting dogs to turn around and even become therapy dogs themselves is proof of what a little love and some positive training can do.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

NatashaQuick posted:

Here is my latest rescue baby. She was horribly abused, fed gunpowder and used as a bait dog, so she has some trust issues, but she's doing fine here and is already doing a great job protecting my little one. I just can't understand how people can harm these sweet little dogs! Let's pray she can be rehabilitated fully.

Wow, she's gorgeous! I'm so sad someone cut off her ears though. Really drives home how horrible dog fighting is, since I have read they cut off the ears for fighting. What a pretty girl, in spite of her scars. Thank you for rescuing, she looks so happy with you!

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
youre a trahs dog

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
YOURE racist

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
pit bulls are sweet babies :)

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
none of you even refuted the OP how are you all so goddamn dumb how do you stay alive how do you breathe air

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
how are we real if our eyes arent real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
Anyway, idiots, woop died of a bladder infection in April

he lives in an ugly tin in my living room now until I find a tree to plant him under

He was only three, and given the 2013 nuking of game lines in the southeast, I will never own another one like him.

Godspeed Good Boy. You were a fine murder dog. <3

• Locked thread