Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno why anyone's worrying about the Batgirl pages when in the same comic,
a)Booster and Blue Beetle fistbump and recite their personal code: "Bros before heroes."
b)Lois is introduced in the issue with a full page pin-up shot in her undies
c) King makes a dopy Watchmen joke or tribute where Superman telling Batman and Wonder Woman that Lois published an article on Sanctuary 35 seconds ago.

Those all sound bad.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I liked the Black Canary part of Heroes in Crisis.

What happened here? I'm almost afraid to ask. I'm holding out hope for a Green Arrow and Black Canary ongoing to replace the recently cancelled Green Arrow. I'm now fearful for her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-O posted:

What happened here? I'm almost afraid to ask. I'm holding out hope for a Green Arrow and Black Canary ongoing to replace the recently cancelled Green Arrow. I'm now fearful for her life.

There's a "confession" scene with Black Canary, but she just says "ah, screw this" and walks away three panels in. The rest of the page is six panels looking at the empty room.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wait she's in the Sanctuary too? Or was that implied that she left. I thought everyone there but Harley and Booster were murdered?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

What happened here?

There have been pages of hero confessions-to-camera therapy sessions throughout the series, and BC's was going "$%^& this and walking out in the first 3 panels, leaving the last six on an empty seat.

She and Ollie also shoot Roy's cap attached to an arrow off a cliff.

E: beaten.

The confessionals aren't an indication that they were there on the day. Dona Troy and the Trinity had theirs and they're alive.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 2, 2019

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well ok, at least that means she survived. So thank goodness for that at least.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Donna Troy's confession was one of the few so far I thought was clever and enjoyable, but it also doesn't make sense if you don't know much about the messy publication history of the character, so, hm.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Were 4 out of 9 issues into Heroes in Crisis it's so exhausting. I hope the new swerve Lois printing Sanctuary to the public goes somewhere interesting but more storylines will just slow down the miserable pace even more. The cheesecake pinup artwork was the worst it ever was in issue 4.

Also I guess they've pulled in too many characters and outsiders to pull off a satisfying This was all on the Holodeck ending so not betting on that anymore

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Please quit buying the bad comic.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm kind of getting back into DC through the DC app, since they were having a sale. I'm a little confused as to why it's so patchy with regard to what issues are and aren't available.

So they're redoing Identity Crisis, is that what that is up there?

DC wants you to buy their 10 year old comics through their streaming service after you sample 1 to 4 issues of a series at a discounted price of $1.99. That is why it is spotty and bad. I've been curiously looking to see what has been added and removed and it never makes sense plus I couldn't even find if anything changed all of December.

Yes they are redoing identity crisis with a higher body count so you know it is better.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 2, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

Please quit buying the bad comic.

There are no good comics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Donna Troy's confession was one of the few so far I thought was clever and enjoyable, but it also doesn't make sense if you don't know much about the messy publication history of the character, so, hm.

i think it's a requirement at this point, if you're going to buy any DC comics you are going to be explained to at least once that Dona Troy has a hosed up publication history

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The pencils in Heroes in Crisis were egregiously gross this week. I don't like the writing but I get why they're publishing it-- King has a schtick and enough people seem to like it, just like Mark Russell's schtick-- but what on earth were they thinking letting Clay Mann turn in the pages we have for the script he got. The whole thing is pretty wretched but gosh, the art this issue, it's astonishing. Three issues of competent enough art and suddenly sub-Lady Death exploitation schlock. What on earth happened.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah, Clay Mann is a decent artist, but this is just embarrassing

https://twitter.com/thirdrobins/status/1080413555235610624

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I love how it's 2018 and all anyone can do with Batgirl is Killing Joke references.

I'm lying. I don't love that at all.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

In good comics I have picked back up All-Star Squadron and it is just stupid late 70s/early 80s take on 40s DC comics. Liberty Belle rules.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

In good comics I have picked back up All-Star Squadron and it is just stupid late 70s/early 80s take on 40s DC comics. Liberty Belle rules.

Some of my earliest comic book memories is reading my brother's random issues of All Star Squadron. I had no idea who the characters were or what was going on but I would go through the pages all the same. I always wondered why DC never did anything with the name since. I guess they were way way way too similar to JSA to make anyone care about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On what world is Clay Mann just a "competent enough" artist?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Some of my earliest comic book memories is reading my brother's random issues of All Star Squadron. I had no idea who the characters were or what was going on but I would go through the pages all the same. I always wondered why DC never did anything with the name since. I guess they were way way way too similar to JSA to make anyone care about it.

The book kinda lived on with Infinity Inc and Young All-Stars for a little bit.

Years later couple of the legacy characters were folded into John's JSA or Palimitto and Grey's Freedom Fighters.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

On what world is Clay Mann just a "competent enough" artist?

A world where those pages above are a big part of what you’ve seen of him.

He was amazing on Ninjak, which remains my main exposure to him, but those pages above of Harley and Batgirl are not good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you skipped on the Batman double date issue, I feel bad for you, son.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
DC's message about Stan Lee's passing was a nice detail.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Heroes in Crisis is about mental trauma and surviving it. Not for heroes, but for readers.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you skipped on the Batman double date issue, I feel bad for you, son.

Well, that issue was clearly going for a light-hearted tone. Cheesecake art really clashes with whatever the gently caress Heroes in Crisis is trying to be.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Also Donna's confessional may be the one I hate the most. Hijacking a character as a mouthpiece for you to poo poo on the character is so obnoxious. Thanks, King, you're the first one to point out how Donna's origin is hosed up because asinine writers like you only define her by her origin being messed up. All of that in the sordid package of a lovely understanding of archaeology and history to boot.

Like the point of these confessionals is about these characters airing their traumas and Donna's trauma is...not even a thing. It's a loving reference to poo poo that happened two universes/reboots ago. "A confusion between two old storytellers who got mixed up," -- who the gently caress is Donna referencing? I mean, I know King is referencing Haney being confused by Wonder Girl not being a separate character, but what is Donna saying from her point of view as a character?

It's fourth wall breaking nonsense without any strong themes or storytelling or character insight attached to it. Just baby's first Donna Troy opinion shoved out of Donna's throat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nu DC thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878704