Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I posted this cover before when it had the guy from Border Town writing it, but reading the solicits, I'm just now paying attention...

Is Ric Grayson's new costume a black soot eye mask and a skipping rope wrapped around a shirt?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

I posted this cover before when it had the guy from Border Town writing it, but reading the solicits, I'm just now paying attention...

Is Ric Grayson's new costume a black soot eye mask and a skipping rope wrapped around a shirt?

He's now a chimney sweep.

In the film adaptation he'll be played by a young Ric Van Dyke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Heim posted:

Hello! I wanted to post this in the questions thread, but it's kind of a big question. What big events have happened in the DC Universe since Rebirth? I'm not updated on any series but I'd like to be, it's just that there are quite a lot of books to follow, some of which were launched after Rebirth Day 1 (I'm thinking of reading Steve Orlando's JLA but I'm not sure what I should read prior). I knew of Superman Reborn, The Button, Doomsday Clock (is it still running?), and the Heroes in Crisis event which a lot are quite mad about. Have there been any interesting developments/updates to characters (in before Ric)?

Doomsday Clock is still running and has 4 issues to go.

Metal is probably the biggest event you didn't mention. It involved evil Batmen from evil universes.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I wish Doomsday Clock would hurry up and finish.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Would Drowned Earth count? I think most books just ignored it. The whole Justice League Dark/Wonder Woman death of magic thing (which I think ties into the source wall thing which in turn is related/result of Metal)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frameset posted:

I wish Doomsday Clock would hurry up and finish.

Same but as posted by me, a time traveler from 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Metal is the most recent big event and is basically the cause of the mini-events succeeding it like Drowned Earth and Witching Hour. Metal has some ramifications for most books that are tied to the JL and its goings on.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
There's also No Justice which JL Dark nods to, and also is part of what marks Luthor turning back to a villain.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
saw that eternity girl was nominated for best limited series...somewhere...so i gave it a go. decent mini, maybe a bit far up its own butt on the undergrad philosophy but the art is pretty

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

the art is pretty

Is this your first Sonny Liew? Check out his graphic novel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Charlie_Chan_Hock_Chye

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

radlum posted:

Yeah...they haven't changed much. It's the same pose of the same dead character, but with darker colors to look less pin-upy and more grim. I just want HiC to be over
I haven't really been paying attention to comics lately, just browsing the megathreads sometimes and if the goal there was to draw someone who is recognizably dead they really failed.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Random question that popped into my head after watching Aquaman and listening to the Journey into Misery episode on Aquaman’s history:

Has there ever been a story/stories set in pre-fall Atlantis, before the kingdom sank below the sea? Seems to me that ancient Atlantis could be a fun setting for storytelling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vandar posted:

Random question that popped into my head after watching Aquaman and listening to the Journey into Misery episode on Aquaman’s history:

Has there ever been a story/stories set in pre-fall Atlantis, before the kingdom sank below the sea? Seems to me that ancient Atlantis could be a fun setting for storytelling.

What you are looking for is the Atlantis Chronicles.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

While not 100% what you’re looking for, JLA’s The Obsidian Age has pre sunk Atlantis and crazy JLA adventures and great Doug Mahnke art.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1078317777671335936

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

DocShaner. :swoon:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

frameset posted:

DocShaner. :swoon:

After FutureQuest, I can safely say DocShaner is my anti-drug.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

And he might be producing more than 20 pages in 2019.
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/1078334931200339973

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1080081244061282305?s=19

Who is the killer?!!?!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, I really like the art change on WW this week. Xermanico is excellent. Is it awful to say that even the story seems to read better, with the better art? I mean...it may just be that the issue itself just moved things along better to build to the climax, but at the end of the day, these are comic books. What we look at on the page matters a lot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah. After last week where DC released nothing, I completely forgot about new comics.

With Young Justice coming out next week, I'm pretty sure I'll reboot the thread in the coming days. Any funny title ideas?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I liked the Black Canary part of Heroes in Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh yeah. After last week where DC released nothing, I completely forgot about new comics.

With Young Justice coming out next week, I'm pretty sure I'll reboot the thread in the coming days. Any funny title ideas?

DC Comics: A Rebirth in Crisis

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

DC Comics: A Rebirth in Crisis

This seems appropriate

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Anyone else really miss the double shipping on Superman and Action Comics? I really liked getting a little Superman fix nearly every week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone I follow retweeted this and I am so happy I'm not reading this terrible book.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
How is Bendis' Action Comics so far? I picked up #1001-1002 based on a preview of 1006 on avclub and I like it. The only DC I read last year was Miracle Man, before that it was probably Azzarello's Wonder Woman run... That said, AC's been very easy to jump into and looks great.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

Someone I follow retweeted this and I am so happy I'm not reading this terrible book.

I'm assuming that's from Heroes In Crisis?
Who is speaking? I'm guessing one is Harley Quinn.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Question IRL posted:

I'm assuming that's from Heroes In Crisis?
Who is speaking? I'm guessing one is Harley Quinn.

Looks like Barbara batgirl gloves to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batgirl and Harley. I'm not sure why Batgirl thinks that Batman only thinks of her as pathetic and broken but it's Tom King so I guess that's what he thinks everyone thinks of everyone.

I'm also not sure why again someone is trying to hold Harley Quinn up as a some potential bastion of goodness. That feels really weird.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure we're meant to take this as gospel on this being what the actual canonical Batman thinks. My take on it is that it's Batgirl's own insecurities that she's putting on Batman because it's the DC Universe and a lot of people can pin a lot of their problems on Batman, on account of he's made himself be "on" all the time and that makes him kind of a dick. It's a moment of reflection, and you can tell because there's mirrors everywhere.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Heroes in Crisis is fairly bad. And yeah, it's Batgirl hunting down Harley on her own so they can bond in ~wounded sisterhood~ and solve the mystery together. I am not sure I can think of a worse person to write this scenario than Tom King.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Tom King read a lot of 9 Chickweed Lane or something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They're totally gonna bang.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm kind of getting back into DC through the DC app, since they were having a sale. I'm a little confused as to why it's so patchy with regard to what issues are and aren't available.

So they're redoing Identity Crisis, is that what that is up there?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rhyno posted:

They're totally gonna bang.

There's definitely a level of sexualization that not even Harley and Batgirl have in their own books

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yikes.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Heroes in Crisis was the punishment for printing Batman's Dick. At the time I thought it would be worth it but we never received the true reward, only the punishment

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

At the time I thought it would be worth it but we never received the true reward,
Catwoman's dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno why anyone's worrying about the Batgirl pages when in the same comic,
a)Booster and Blue Beetle fistbump and recite their personal code: "Bros before heroes."
b)Lois is introduced in the issue with a full page pin-up shot in her undies
c) King makes a dopy Watchmen joke or tribute where Superman telling Batman and Wonder Woman that Lois published an article on Sanctuary 35 seconds ago.

edit : To be fair, there's a great gag where WW punches BM's big penny in frustration and it flattens a Batmobile.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 2, 2019