Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Kinda lovely that they apparently screwed over Marguerite Bennett at the last minute in favor of Rucka, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

As of Batman #50 Jim Gordon's police commissioner again, so he's almost guaranteed to be a regular face in King's Batman and quite likely Detective Comics as well. In that same issue Bruce is shown approaching Duke saying he has an "offer" for him. It was assumed Duke was going to be the new official Robin, but after todays announcements I dont know if that's still the popular rumor.

:v: Yeah, I hadn't read Batman #50 but I have seen the screenshots of Bruce being back and Duke becoming Robin, presumably but none of the solicits I was seeing mentioned anything about either of them so I was wondering if any of the Batman writers mentioned their plans for either character.

It kinda feels like a lot of stuff that happened/is happening in DC You is just kinda going out the window. I get that this is just a regular quirk of relaunches; plot threads wrap up quickly and the new books don't necessarily pick up plot threads left over from the pre-relaunch books, but I was kinda looking forward to stuff like a new official Robin, Harper Row and Midnighter being in stuff, etc.

E:

Barry Convex posted:

Kinda lovely that they apparently screwed over Marguerite Bennett at the last minute in favor of Rucka, though.

According to her Patreon, at least part of why she had to back out of Wonder Woman because of some "expensive surgery" she had :(. Between Wonder Woman, Angela: Queen of Hel over at Marvel, and Bombshells probably not continuing into Rebirth, this is some bad news for Bennett all around. I really hope DC or Marvel gives her something.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 27, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Semper Fudge posted:

Because they rebooted the universe?

So? They didn't suddenly decide Clark Kent was raised in the Bronx, or that Bruce Wayne had two living elderly parents.

I'm not even that salty that they retconned stuff, but every writer these days does so, and I'm not sure why Azzarello's stuff deserves special protection, when he ingnored additions made in runs just as good as his that a lot of people liked, and I'd argue, hew closer to the ideal of Wonder Woman as a feminist icon.

Barry Convex posted:

We think. Sharp apparently has already seen scripts from Rucka, so either they did the 'ask multiple writers to do full scripts without telling them it's an audition' thing again, or Rucka's been the plan for a while.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Harper Row is the most redundant character ever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

Almost like Azzarello clear-cutting all of Marston (William and Elizabeth), Perez and Rucka's stuff? Why are his changes sacrosanct, but the stuff he decided to retcon is fine to lose?

None of his changes were even all that interesting. So being committed to them is weird.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Harper Row is the most redundant character ever.

I like Harper but she was literally created because they wouldn't let Snyder use Stephanie or Cassandra so yeah...you're not wrong.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Gaz-L posted:

Still kinda lame that we have a grand total of 4 women writers on 3 books (because 2 of them are a team) and I don't believe a single all-female creative team.

Who gives a poo poo?

You hear to read good comics or make sure a company is filling arbitrary diversity quotas?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Gaz-L posted:

So? They didn't suddenly decide Clark Kent was raised in the Bronx, or that Bruce Wayne had two living elderly parents. .

Well they did kill off the Kents, so...

It really doesn't matter. Azz' run was very well received for the most part despite a few critical missteps and managed to draw an audience of people who weren't typically into Wonder Woman comics and regardless of your feelings towards the run or the purity of his audience, driving them off by completely paving over everything he did is in no one's best interest.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly the only stuff I would want Rucka to change has to do with the Amazons and their history and attitudes. That was the one sore spot for pretty much everyone when it came to his run.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

You hear to read good comics or make sure a company is filling arbitrary diversity quotas?

There's enough good women writers and artists for DC to be able to do both. Framing it as an either/or is all kinds of hot garbage bullshit.

DC hasn't announced everything, though, so, fingers crossed, they still could be better than what we've seen today.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I'm stoked! Rucka & Priest are fantastic outside gets, and there's pretty much nothing outside of the inexplicable survival of RHatO & Venditti's GL that's an immediate write-off in the same way a bunch of the DCYou books were.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Now that Rucka is back on into the fold it's time for DC to make a play for Waid.

Hahahahhahha

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Genetic Toaster posted:

I'm stoked! Rucka & Priest are fantastic outside gets, and there's pretty much nothing outside of the inexplicable survival of RHatO & Venditti's GL that's an immediate write-off in the same way a bunch of the DCYou books were.

Is Priest actually a good writer these days? The only recent thing I can think of is Q2 and by all accounts that was beyond terrible.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
So going through all the stuff, aside from a couple of actual big changes (like Rucka coming back) this just seems like your generic reshuffling of talent. There's very little particularly interesting -- none of the pitches themselves seemed like big mixups or major changes in direction. Maybe it's because I'm tired of Batman and am not going to read it even if King is on it that I'm so blase about it (as I was, like everyone else, hoping King went onto books I had an interest in) but nothing here seems particularly fresh or interesting.

Heck, even Rucka on Wonder Woman is technically a retread, if a refreshing retread at that.

Madkal posted:

Now that Rucka is back on into the fold it's time for DC to make a play for Waid.

Hahahahhahha

Rucka on Wonder Woman and Waid on Wally West. The mid 2000s nostalgia express. They could even do their crossover again. Pipe dreams are nice.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wonder how much of a creative voice Harras has anymore. It feels like Lee, DiDio, and Johns make a lot of the decisions that I'd normally associate with the EiC.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I wonder how much of a creative voice Harras has anymore. It feels like Lee, DiDio, and Johns make a lot of the decisions that I'd normally associate with the EiC.

I think Harras is in charge of making sure books are complete on time, not so much the direction of the line.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Has there been any word on Pre52 Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Metal Men, or Doom Patrol?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

The whitest of white guy posts. If the choice is between "arbitrary diversity quotas" and "an endless stream of the same lovely white dudes getting chance #4938 to write mediocre to bad comics" then go ahead and sign me up for creative white genocide. I'm sure that there's never been someone other than white dudes who have ever had good ideas for Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc. That's definitely the only reason they're the only people to have ever written those books, a pure meritocracy where loving Frank Tieri and Tony Daniel are some of the finest writers alive.

Zachack posted:

Is Priest actually a good writer these days? The only recent thing I can think of is Q2 and by all accounts that was beyond terrible.
Our only sample size in the past decade+ is Q2, which wasn't great but wasn't anywhere near 'beyond terrible' except maybe as a 'new reader', and was also a weird case because every time Q&W has taken a hiatus he pretends there were X number of issues in between so Q2 was basically a writing exercise pretending that it was the 200th-something issue of the series. It isn't really representative of what he's capable of outside of an inside joke/victory lap.

Squizzle posted:

It's hard to say, Bob Harras is the same dude who after he got fired from Marvel took a weird rear end consulting editor job for Wildstorm (presumably because Harras chose Lee over Claremont repeatedly bad in the early 1990s) where he never even moved to the west coast and just worked out of his NJ/NY home and mostly just worked to make sure his favorites from the X-Office (Scott Lobdell, Ben Raab) had writing jobs after the Harras-Marvel well ran dry. When DC bought Wildstorm he got shuffled off into Collected Editions and I guess wowed everyone so much with DC's trade program that he got appointed Editor in Chief/VP when they restructured things and his pal Jim Lee got promoted to co-publisher. Then when Didio's longtime friend Eddie Berganza had to get demoted for being a serial sex offender or whatever, Harras was looking out for his pals too and brought in Bobbie Chase as DC's "Editorial Director", presumably because of the impressive work she did over a decade of editing books about ponies, not because she was his assistant/right hand person at Marvel in the 1990s.

Which is also why DC keeps putting people who first broke big in the X-Men offices 20+ years ago, good and bad (Scott Lobdell, Fabian Nicieza, Bryan Hitch, Tony Daniel, Aaron Lopresti, Ken Lashley) on books no one was clamoring to see them on.

Which also to be fair, is why people are continually cynical about DC's perpetual revamp: for all of the writers and artists and editors they cycle through, the same people with track records ranging from spotty to "some wild scumbag poo poo" continue to populate the upper echelons, with no real sign of systemic change.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 27, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of his changes were even all that interesting. So being committed to them is weird.

The new characterizations of the supporting cast and their designs is particularly why I think Azz's run was interesting :/

Mr Hootington posted:

Has there been any word on Pre52 Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Metal Men, or Doom Patrol?

Bleeding Cool reckoned Gerard Way's Doom Patrol is heading to Vertigo.

e; As for female teams, I assume Claire Roe on BOP is a lady along with the writers.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 27, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUnTWSp5J-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d-GT5YzNlM

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Semper Fudge posted:

It really doesn't matter. Azz' run was very well received for the most part despite a few critical missteps and managed to draw an audience of people who weren't typically into Wonder Woman comics and regardless of your feelings towards the run or the purity of his audience, driving them off by completely paving over everything he did is in no one's best interest.
Hey, it's in my best interest. Think of what is best for me, y'all.

Salt the goddamn Earth with the remains of that run. If you like it you can just reread those issues, they're still around. :c00lbutt:

edit: Oookay wait that came across much meaner than I intended. :sweatdrop: Clearly I have anger.

Who even knows what Rucka is gonna end up doing?...he could retcon a lot, he could retcon a little. Heck, I might end up hating what Rucka does toohahahaaa sorry yeah I couldn't finish that thought.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 27, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

They aren't talking about any pre52 characters (except Ted Kord) until DC Rebirth One Shot comes out

Rest assured that there will be plenty of announcements to be had once JESUS* RETURNS on May 25th. 2016!

* By Jesus I mean Wally West

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

BrianWilly posted:

Salt the goddamn Earth with the remains of that run. If you like it you can just reread those issues, they're still around. :c00lbutt:

This is the most obnoxious poo poo. Please don't tell people off by saying that back issues exist.

Imagine if someone told you, when Azz's run was happening, to go reread the Rucka WW run (probably for the tenth time, right?) if you want it so badly instead of expressing your opinion. It solves nothing and just agitates people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know it was obnoxious, which is why I amended it.

I don't have to imagine the scenario you describe though, because it's happened a number of times here. It's what I was trying to (unsuccessfully) lampshade.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

This is the most obnoxious poo poo. Please don't tell people off by saying that back issues exist.

Imagine if someone told you, when Azz's run was happening, to go reread the Rucka WW run (probably for the tenth time, right?) if you want it so badly instead of expressing your opinion. It solves nothing and just agitates people.

Imagine? That's exactly what happened whenever the new Amazons or ghe Zeus' daughter origin were criticised.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Rucka, I think he's one of the best writers in comics, but it's not particularly encouraging reading that blog post. There's more subtle jabs and complaints about "not my Wonder Woman" than there is actual evidence of good ideas of his own. Ignoring a previous writer's work to tell the story you want to tell is one thing, wasting issues going back and taking it apart just so everything could be precisely how you want it is something else. The little jabs about Diana smiling almost read like he hasn't even read the Azz issues and just looked at the covers and heard that Diana was the God of War now and just assumed it was all grimacing, all the time.

I would much rather he just tell me a story starring 'his' Wonder Woman, because let's face it, this is Rucka and DC, he's not going to be writing this book forever. Every issue he spends saying "Actually, this is how it really happened" is an issue of original story he could be writing.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I mean, I don't know, while it could be about the Azzarello run, there's a whole lovely Meredith and David Finch run in between, so

Plus, "something hosed up the Amazon have kept from Diana" feels like the plot of every other Wonder Woman story, so

Unless the first issue opens on Ares being all like "I'm not dead also Athena was never a baby and that wasn't Hephaistos, it was just some random guy who made stuff up haha funny right", I think Rucka's earned the benefit of the doubt.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
Jeez it'd be tough to think of an announcement they could make that I'd be more underwhelmed by than this. Any word on where Babs Tarr, Annie Wu, and Cam Stewart are ending up? Batgirl, Black Canary, and Gotham Academy were the only DC titles I was still up on, and very few of these books seem to be in that style at all. I just want more fun and visually exciting books please! Is Prez ever coming back?

Tom King on Batman is a book I was ready to be excited for but woof that art team really dials that way back. Although they don't list it here but Jordie Bellaire is coloring I think? Hat hours help somewhat hopefully. I'll probably still check that out, but these are not the Batgirl and Birds of Prey announcements I was looking for after all the buildup in the current books!

Rucka Wonder Woman is tempting, but we're not even through Legend of Wonder Woman yet so I dunno that I'm ready for another year long origin story. I'm also bummed we lost the chance at Marguerite Bennet's Wonder Woman.

I guess there's still whatever unannounced Multiversity stuff Morrison's working on to be excited for at least!

Straight Outta CompUSA fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 28, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Jeez it'd be tough to think of an announcement they could make that I'd be more underwhelmed by than this. Any word on where Babs Tarr, Annie Wu, and Cam Stewart are ending up? Batgirl, Black Canary, and Gotham Academy were the only DC titles I was still up on, and very few of these books seem to be in that style at all. I just want more fun and visually exciting books please! Is Prez ever coming back?

Tom King on Batman is a book I was ready to be excited for but woof that art team really dials that way back. Although the don't list it here but Jordie Bellaire is coloring I think? I'll probably still check that out, but these are not the Batgirl and Birds of Prey announcements I was looking for after all the buildup in the current books!

Rucka Wonder Woman is tempting, but we're not even through Legend of Wonder Woman yet so I dunno that I'm ready for another year long origin story. I'm also bummed we lost the chance at Marguerite Sauvage's Wonder Woman.

I guess there's still whatever unannounced Multiversity stuff Morrison's working on to be excited for at least!

Gotham Academy isn't ending. It just wasn't given a big fanfare at the Rebirth event. There's a tweet upthread from one of the creators confirming it.

I didn't really care for Black Canary but I agree with you re: Batgirl. Seems really abrupt for a team that basically saved the character, and I don't know how much I trust them not to mess it up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Batgirl team are listed as guests at Image Expo, so it's safe to assume they're doing something there, right?
They were all praise for the new people on Twitter.

Prez is apparently still returning in time for elections.
Mark Russell is doing The Flintstones in the mean time.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 27, 2016

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Travis343 posted:

Gotham Academy isn't ending. It just wasn't given a big fanfare at the Rebirth event. There's a tweet upthread from one of the creators confirming it.

I didn't really care for Black Canary but I agree with you re: Batgirl. Seems really abrupt for a team that basically saved the character, and I don't know how much I trust them not to mess it up.

Travis343 posted:

Black Canary wasn't great but I love Annie Wu's art and I hope she gets another book soon!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

The whitest of white guy posts. If the choice is between "arbitrary diversity quotas" and "an endless stream of the same lovely white dudes getting chance #4938 to write mediocre to bad comics" then go ahead and sign me up for creative white genocide. I'm sure that there's never been someone other than white dudes who have ever had good ideas for Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc.
To wit, Marvel put Te-Nehisi Coates on Black Panther and there's been a decent amount of press/anticipation for his take. And they've still got a crazy amount of goodwill with Kamala's Ms. Marvel.

Meanwhile DC is still *really* pushing Cyborg to fill the blindingly white ranks of the JL. They did decent with Prez (which sells unimpressively), Batgirl and Black Canary, but their attitude with Cyborg is pretty indicative of their overall publishing ethos.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

if they're revealing the jokers true identity its gotta be soemthing important. if they're sticking with him being immortal because hes got jokertanium in his spine then I'm guessing he's either:

a) jebediah gotham

b) jebediah arkham

c) bruce waynes great great great grandpappy

or his name is James Oker

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FirstPersonShitter posted:

if they're revealing the jokers true identity its gotta be soemthing important. if they're sticking with him being immortal because hes got jokertanium in his spine then I'm guessing he's either:

a) jebediah gotham

b) jebediah arkham

c) bruce waynes great great great grandpappy

or his name is James Oker

Make the panel just a reflective mirror, meaning YOU THE READER ARE THE JOKER!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regardless of who it is, it's going to be disappointing no matter what.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

His name is Joe Kerr, come on.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's Lex Luthor

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Its Tim Drake with time travel bullshit

Madkal