Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh sweet merciful God Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman with Nicola Scott and some other guy who's pretty good I guess I dunno this is an actual sex dream come to life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Rucka posted some answers about stuff on his blog

That guy posted:

Yes, it’s true, I’m writing Wonder Woman. The book is shipping twice a month, and for the first six months or so, we’re pursuing two independent – but related – storylines. The intention is to write at least 24 issues of the series.

Liam Sharp is drawing the “odd” numbered issues. His story is set in “contemporary” continuity, and is called Wonder Woman: The Lies.

No, I’m not going to tell you what the lies are, because then there’d hardly be a point in you reading the book. Suffice it to say, for now, that Diana discovers that some of the facts she’s taken as truth are…brittle under closer examination. She sets off to separate the lies from the truth.
I can't stop laughing

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Semper Fudge posted:

It really doesn't matter. Azz' run was very well received for the most part despite a few critical missteps and managed to draw an audience of people who weren't typically into Wonder Woman comics and regardless of your feelings towards the run or the purity of his audience, driving them off by completely paving over everything he did is in no one's best interest.
Hey, it's in my best interest. Think of what is best for me, y'all.

Salt the goddamn Earth with the remains of that run. If you like it you can just reread those issues, they're still around. :c00lbutt:

edit: Oookay wait that came across much meaner than I intended. :sweatdrop: Clearly I have anger.

Who even knows what Rucka is gonna end up doing?...he could retcon a lot, he could retcon a little. Heck, I might end up hating what Rucka does toohahahaaa sorry yeah I couldn't finish that thought.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 27, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I know it was obnoxious, which is why I amended it.

I don't have to imagine the scenario you describe though, because it's happened a number of times here. It's what I was trying to (unsuccessfully) lampshade.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I failed to notice or mention this earlier in midst of my sexual haze, but speaking as a card-carrying Chinese-American, this New Super-Man from Gene Luen Yang sounds like an incredibly bad idea, not the least of which is because Kenji isn't even a Chinese name.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Kingdom Come Lois hmm wait

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So. I gave Omega Men my best shot. Eh.

I can kind of understand who the target audience for this kind of story is supposed to be, but I can't really see the appeal myself. It's very...pretentious. Dunno how else to put it. I don't like the characters, I don't like the situation, I don't know why I should, and it's been ten issues of the same. I find King's work on Vision much more interesting and accessible.

And unless Kyle's newfound hyper-religiousness and Spanish-fluency is some Nu52 New Guardians thing I missed, I'm gonna assume King just pulled it out of his butt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, I was trying to stop just short of saying "Not My Kyle Rayner," but...that's what it is, basically. This ain't any Kyle I know.

I think my break point is that they spent ten whole issues building and leading up to Kyle getting his ring back, and now that he has it back it's completely weaksauce and doesn't even do anything that simple blasters and blades can't do anyway. Even the greenest Lanterns haha get it should be able to wipe the floor with any army with any ring, and Kyle's got the most powerful of them all, but now he's all uuueehggh I gotta rest eughghggh this is so haaaaard. It's frustrating.

His new suit is pretty great though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Or him dealing with the insane poo poo he is dealing with right now/ in the past or having some connection with earth.

bobkatt013 posted:

This months entire issue was about the never ending fight and how beaten down he is getting due to it.
He was shown to be incredibly religious before the traumatic events of this book happened to him, not because of it. His angry breakdown in issue eight comes across like he was having a crisis of faith, but like...why would someone who just found faith have a crisis of it? It's why I wondered if there was anything in New Guardians that would make him this way.

Like...hold on to your butts 'cuz I'm about to agree with D_T here, but I also found the fluent Spanish prayer he gave in the second issue to be a little disconcerting. It could just as easily have been spoken in English. If King wanted to depict Kyle's Latino heritage, why hasn't he spoken Spanish in any other context since then? He's only Latino when he's feeling religious? Does he only know Spanish prayers? It's all just kinda off-putting.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 9, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:dance: Artemis!!!!.........??.....?...:confuoot:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Isn't her name Aleka in Azz's Wondy or are we just ignoring his run altogether like Wondy usually suffers?
I don't think they're the same character, unless the Finches made it so after Azzarello's run was over? They just look very similar, though Artemis is usually pretty slim while Aleka is pretty burly. I'm assuming this is Artemis' first Nu52/Rebirth/whatever appearance.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

On that note, I read Wonder Woman Earth 1, and it's definitely very...interesting in that Morrison-y way. Sometimes it's very blunt and explicit about its meanings, other times it's rather dense and oblique. The art and designs are utterly gorgeous. I will say that, for whatever else, it reads like a very detailed, very passionate treatise on Marston's Golden Age Wonder Woman.

On the downside...I didn't really feel very engaged by the character or the world? She feels more like a collection of cliches than a real person. And Morrison's Paradise Island, while beautiful detailed, doesn't really...offer anything. It's not an actual society, it seems like it's just there to tick off some checkboxes about "stuff Marston did." When Morrison writes Superman and Batman, I really get the sense that he loves the characters. When Morrison writes this, I still don't get the sense that he loves the character or the setting.

Overall I think it's kind of an interesting read, but I'd be surprised if it really snowballs any revolutionary interpretations of Wonder Woman, especially with the Batman v Superman version of the character still fresh in most readers' minds.

(Oh and she says "hola" way too much. Waaay too much. It's like, we get it okay, hola is a word that Golden Age Amazons said. Now please stop)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I am a Chinese man who's never heard of a name like that used by Chinese people and was also kinda weirded out by the choice. I hope Yang knows what he's doing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aww Batman gets no descriptions. He's just Batman.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know...guns can also fail. Like that is a thing that can happen with guns. Has he ever even actually shot anyone with it?

And can someone Cliff's Notes Jessica Cruz for me? I've been keeping up with none of this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Is that Finn

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Legend of Wonder Woman is so loving good. I have nitpicked and I will always nitpick but it's basically the Wonder Woman book of my dreams.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I was pretty fond of the 2005 one. Love that pizazz.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Legend of Wonder Woman Volume 2 confirmed

gently caress yeaas.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Teen Titans redesigns

Gotta say, they all look pretty good but that Damian design is really poppin' to me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

His hair grows back in to cover that spot when he's out of costume.

Something Speed Force something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, folks have described Rebirth as a clusterfuck and messy...and I actually think that's fairly apt. About 70% of the book is weirdly jumbled or overly dense and the clipshow sequences of unrelated events -- basically movie trailers for upcoming series -- kind of disorient the story more than it...well...orients it.

And geez, was Johns always so...wordy? So purple-prosey? Maybe I've just been out of the DC house style loop for too long but the whole tell-not-show narration grated on me after a while. "This is an emotion I'm feeling right now. And then that emotion makes me feel another emotion as I witness this event that I'm going to describe to you. And as I look at this other character, I think to myself: 'I am looking at this other character.' Looking at this other character makes me feel...an emotion? I feel the emotion that I just mentioned." And on and on.

But otherwise, I gotta tell ya...I love the story being told here. I love the premise of the Nu52 as a universe where something has gone wrong without anyone even knowing, and that they have to rekindle the heart of the DC Universe in the aftermath of this wrongness. I love the correlation between the ten missing years to the relationships and legacies that used to support the old DCU. I love how Wally eventually boiled this down to love. That scene between Linda and Wally was incredible. That scene between Wally and Barry at the climax legitimately made me tear up even though I knew how manipulative (and clunky, to be honest) it was. (And geez, Phil Jimenez just keeps getting better and better)

And y'know, I hadn't planned on picking up the new Superman title before this week, but the whole situation with him, Lois, and Jon is probably the storyline that's most intriguing to me in this ongoing metaplot. I remember, back when the pre-Flashpoint Superman and Lois were first brought into the Nu52, the first things I ever said was..."This seems to complicate the status quo way too much, is there any plan in place for this going forward?" and, well, I'm still not sure they ever had any plan going forward for it at the time :sweatdrop:, but the way things have turned out is incredibly interesting. Because if they're really the real Clark and Lois from "this" universe, then that means NuSuperman isn't the only one who's not really what he seems...but the Nu52's Lois Lane is also not who she actually seems to be.

I really wish we hadn't been spoiled on the Watchmen spoilers a week beforehand. I had chills reading up to that moment and the whole epilogue; for all of the wordiness, the art and narrative really sold that sequence. And after reading through everything, my theory is that the actual antagonist being Dr. Manhattan is a red herring. I'm not sure who the real villain is going to be -- maybe Ozymandias, maybe someone else -- but my impression is that there's a reason we don't ever actually see Dr. Manhattan here, despite the epilogue clearly leading readers to believe it's him.

Well, I'm probably wrong, but I guess we'll see. I'm back in this shitshow, DC. You've roped me the hell back in, you shitfucks. :buddy:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The systems of war and rebellion being a big disillusioning bummer in the galaxy and back on Earth.
Oh yeah, what was up with this Omega Men ending? With Kyle talking to that army guy? Was this not supposed to be set in continuity or something? That would probably make the book a little better to me, to be honest.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Android Blues posted:

There's a pretty good article about it here.
I think I'm about as close to a SJW as you can get around these parts and this article made me want to light my eyes on fire.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Having two Titans books at once is actually how the DCU worked for a long time before the Nu52 reboot so the simple fact that we're getting the twentysomethings Titans and the younger trainee Teen Titans is actually pretty :3: for me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ooh this is fun. It's gonna be awkward for everyone involved when it turns out this Superman really is her Superman and her Superman isn't her Superman, though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uhhh this is like really bad 90s superman fanfiction

They brought back Dan Jurgens to literally rehash death of superman/reign of the supermen over and over in different variations?
This is written by Tomasi.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So I got caught up on Titans Hunt, and...it isn't that bad? I can see how it comes across pointless and sloggy if you have to wait weeks and months for this story, about a bunch of people doing nothing but talking about how they don't remember things, to go anywhere...but as a straight read-through it was pretty entertaining. I had a genuine spittake at Donna and Garth going medieval at each other with Dick caught in the middle. It evoked some of the better issues of Abnett's GOTG stuff.

Still, it does read like it was stalling for time or something. Definitely did not need eight issues and some fights with cyborgs. And I feel like I have a pretty decent grasp on Titans history but I have literally no knowledge of..."Gnarkk"...whatsoever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've been legitimately astonished that no one has trademarked the name "Nightingale" for a superhero yet. Too feminine? Too aristocratic?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The explanation was to ignore the question as hard as they could, as far as I could tell.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Dr. Manhattan punched a wall so

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alright, I'ma be the crazy person who says the Rucka WW Rebirth preview was just...passable. From what little we see so far it seems really prosey and tell-not-show-y and practically Johnsian.

The rest of it could be really incredible! But the preview pages aren't really meeting my (admittedly, unrealistically high) expectations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Alright. Having read WW Rebirth, I have to agree/maintain that the writing is super wordy and stilted. :j:"The truth matters. Or it doesn't. Does it? It should. Or maybe it shouldn't. Or it does. It did. Or did it? Maybe it never did.":j: It sets up a distinct, noir-investigation sort of tone, I suppose, but is still the sort of poo poo I would rag endlessly on any other writer for.

Aside from that aspect of the writing though, I loved basically every part of the story. A lot of these Rebirth storylines seems to hinge on the concept that there is this profound mystery that our heroes have to solve -- some heretofore unseen danger that the protagonists have to discover -- and I can't help but get pulled in by these hooks. Reestablishing Wonder Woman as a truth-seeker, whose very nature is emblematic against lies and confusion and yet has been assaulted by those very things, was a really cool way to present the central conflict of this story. The fact that "Boy, I sure have been rebooted a lot and it makes my life real confusing" is a central motif here kind of alleviates the inherent confusion of this being, well, another comparable reboot.

Sending Azzarello's terrible changes straight to the wood chipper would almost be just a bonus at this point, though I admit to loving how Rucka seems to be in-synch with my own notions and impressions of those changes...which makes sense I suppose, considering he's the one who instilled those notions and impressions within me in the first place. The intentional contrast he gave of Diana's old upbringing -- loved and nurtured by her many mothers -- versus her new upbringing -- shamed and ostracized by her disapproving sisters -- felt like it was lifted straight out of my brain. And I sure felt real gratified at Diana crushing the God of War helmet and her realization that the Olympus that has been appearing in these stories is not actually Olympus at all. The part where she goes "I think I am the god of war. Yet I think that cannot be true." is the only part of the narration I really enjoyed. Succinct. Fitting. A concise, if generalized, send-up of the core of what went wrong with Nu52 WW. I love how worn and pithy and insignificant that helmet looked. I love how easily she crumpled it, practically by accident, as if it -- the lies -- were nothing more than cardboard in her hands.

And yet, I don't think it's going to be as straightforward as it seems; there's some definite secret fuckery going on and more to the story than just "Everything in the last fifty issues is fake." What's going on with the fact that there are two completely different versions of Hippolyta, for instance? I do have some...theories...about how Rucka is going to go about this, but for I'm real content to see where we go from here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Flash Rebirth was alright. It definitely reads like the DVD extras to DC Rebirth, but I don't see how it's a "clusterfuck." I've only had second-hand knowledge of Nu52 Flash and I followed everything here just fine...maybe because a lot of it seemed to be based off of the TV show storyline, admittedly.

Aquaman was...literally every single Aquaman storyline you've already read. There are scenes and dialogue in here that seem to be, like, carbon-copy clones of other Aquaman books. And screw you Mera, how can you not like chowder. :argh:

Agreed that Detective Comics was great. I love how Bruce probably had this massive dramatic reveal speech prepared for Kate and she's just like "lol finally." Tim needs a better name.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Abbreviatedly: that instead of being made from clay by her mother Hippolyta and given life by the gods, Diana is instead the birth daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus. That was the first major one that caused the most buzz, when it came out.

But the change that probably offended former Wonder Woman fans like myself the most was the "revelation" that the Amazons of Themyscira weren't actually enlightened, noble, peace-loving women, but that they secretly went out and raped and killed male sailors in order to give birth to new Amazons, and would have killed any of their sons if kindly god Hephaestus hadn't periodically bartered for them with his weapons. Basically setting up the Amazons as the stereotypical man-hating straw-feminazis that they were originally created to stand against.

Those were the two most significant ones, though Azzarello's run was more or less a long, drawn-out besmirching of Wonder Woman's former backstory, with many smaller changes meant to make her upbringing come across more oppressive and painful instead of loving and idyllic.

That being said
, WW: Rebirth hasn't gotten rid of any of it yet. So far it just establishes that Diana has contradicting memories about her past and that she has been somehow deceived about it, and at the end of the issue she discovers that the Olympus that's been appearing in the Nu52 isn't actually Olympus at all. We don't know yet what's actually going to end up being "true" by the end of the storyline.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean, having read some summaries of Meredith Finch's run, it's not like DC hasn't already been quietly yet conspicuously salting the ground of Azzarello's stories. Apparently Zola's dead now? That's kind of a bummer.

greatn posted:

And people like the Azarello thing?
I found much of it overrated and unfocused, but I can see that Azzarello is, in general, a capable writer who crafts dark tones and intrigue very well. Half Tom King, half Ed Brubaker.

It's just that this story he told was wrong and disrespectful and should have been checked at the door. This whole "Diana's mother lied to her about her birth, her sisters are evil mankillers who hate her, and her mentor is Ares instead of Athena or Aphrodite" thing should have been an Elseworlds, and might even then come across tacky at best.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 9, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Oh and the last panels are Diana languishing how Zeke was the closest thing she will ever have to a son, because she can't have children of her own, which is the most loving cliched thing I have read in a loving comic about Wonder Woman.
Hahaha what even.

...wait, what, even? Why couldn't she have kids of her own? Is she sterile?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I know no one means it this way and I promise I'm not being a dick here -- I'm getting what I always wanted, so why would I bother? -- but it's just kinda funny how we're getting so many straight-faced, non-sardonic appeals against Greg Rucka indiscriminately trampling over Brian Azzarello's storylines, as if that wasn't also the literal specific thing Azzarello did against Rucka and multiple other writers' work. As if there wasn't also very many great things about twenty years' worth of post-Crisis storylines that maybe shouldn't have been directly countermanded by Azzarello wanting to build a grimmer, darker, more cynical world for the character. I'm just genuinely amused that folks genuinely don't seem to see the irony in this.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Has this interview with Johns been posted? Much of it's the same that he's been saying, but I found some of it pretty interesting and edifying.

Geoff Johns posted:

There's more going on that simply relaunching the DCU line, though. The book ends with Batman finding the Comedian's badge from Watchmen, followed by a scene that directly quotes from the original Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons book. Given the reputation of the original Watchmen, that's a bold move. How nervous were you, bringing those characters into the book?

Very, but at the same time, what happened with the New 52 was that a brick wall had been built between that and everything that had happened before. In my mind, it was like a brick wall, and it felt like, say, the version I read of Raven wasn't the Raven I'm reading now. It felt like the emotional connection I had with the character broke. I'll tell you a character specifically, and I'll be candid about it: Superboy, Connor Kent.

One of my favorite characters of all time, and I had a great time writing him in Teen Titans, and I loved writing him in his solo run [in Adventure Comics]. They reintroduced him in the New 52 and he was so different, so vastly changed, that I couldn't connect with the book that well. The emotional tie just severed, and it didn't sever in the way that made me angry, it was worse than that: I had apathy for it. I didn't care anymore.

One of my first goals was to break that brick wall down with a giant hammer. In doing that, my core idea was that somebody stole moments from the DCU, and it equates to about 10 years. In the book, Wally says that, but it wasn't just [any] ten years — it was the moments where the characters started to bond. Whatever moments those were, whatever stories those were, they were extracted. And that's why the characters became cold and distant from one another, because they no longer had that history.

For me, that allowed me to wrap my head around why the characters were younger, why they had no emotional ties, but also say that it was still fighting to come back through. You can't beat down hope, you can't beat down optimism. There's a reason that Batman, who's the darkest of them all, keeps fighting. He believes tomorrow would be better. Otherwise, he would stop. He's certainly had plenty of opportunity to quit.

I really wanted to deliver a tonal shift for the DC Universe so that it could give back that sense of hope and optimism. That spread at the end [of Rebirth] with all the heroes — that spread is so important to me, it's one of the most important things in the book. I wanted to end on it, I wanted people to see a modern-day version of those great Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez spreads where the heroes are celebrating their existence and reaffirming who they are, and going out there with an attitude to show that.

All of that said, I needed a character who would embody a disconnect from a sense of optimism and hope, and somebody who manipulated time, and it was right there. You have a — I don't call him a villain, he's barely an antagonist, but he's an entity, a being who looked at the DC Universe and tested it, removed this time from it for reasons that are to be revealed later, but almost to study it. I know it was risky, but we need to take some risks. Let's take the risk! If I was going to go into this and try, I wanted to try big.

When I thought of using Dr. Manhattan, I knew it would be possibly — probably — very polarizing, but I also knew that thematically, and metaphorically, there was no better choice. I think it'll get people intrigued, and I think it clears the way for conversation about tone, and I think those are good things.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 12, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Nah, it's not like post-Crisis Superman's rocket hasn't gone through like four or five makeovers in the first place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I thought Green Lanterns was pretty enjoyable. I liked the rookie cops, learning the ropes dynamic.

Batman was cool too. It was nice to just see him be a straight up, no-frills no-bullshit superhero.

I find myself surprisingly ambivalent about Superman. Nothing wrong about it, but outside of the great art I wasn't, like, all that interested in the proceedings.

Titans existed, I suppose. Also surprisingly, I thought Booth's art wasn't that bad and was more expressive than expected, though I don't think I'll ever really enjoy his anatomy and proportions. They're not Liefeldian, but they're...something.