Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
G. Willow Wilson's WW was a pretty interesting start. We're living in a brave new world right now where current WW writers will -- shock and gasps -- actually follow up on events and status quos established by previous WW writers, which is kind of a monumental achievement all on its own. Unresolved things from prior runs will...get mentioned? Even get resolved? What a concept. Now the next step is to get writers outside of WW books to acknowledge these things as well!

Oh and the art is.......fi....ne....?......
Eh, it will have to grow on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...But it's not furthering the Darkseid War Grail stuff. Grail appears, in a few pages, because she with Ares in his prison the last we heard of them, but the story is actually about furthering the Ares plotline which is really the single biggest unresolved plotline since Rebirth began. (Which is saying a lot, because boy are there lots of other unresolved plotlines)

Wilson probably could've found a way to omit Grail entirely from the Ares prison scene but why would she? Then we're right back at every single WW writer ignoring what every single other WW writer has done. Instead, Wilson took the chance to show that she's actually been paying attention to what other writers had been doing, which is a good thing! I mean...it's bad for her 'cuz it means she's had to read the Robinson anal breaches just like I did, but it's a good thing overall. In the grand scheme.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Tom King's seeming complete lack of ego is one of the few -- but important -- reasons why I would never actually say that I dislike him.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I honestly feel like we're seeing the same sort of pretentiousness and lack-of-clarity from the DC creators that we saw back in 2009 which led to the entire dissolution of the post-Crisis status quo because they hosed everyone up to the point that rebooting it all was almost a mercy.

Like, I know there's still a lot of good books going on right now. But if DC's okay with publishing...y'know...the stuff that's in HiC and touting it as their big drat great unmissable flagship event, then I categorically do not see the difference between them and the DC that published Cry for Justice and bragged up and down the street about how great that was.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh Grant. Sometimes I get kinda ambivalent about you and then you go and say such great things like this :love:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Willow's WW run hasn't really blown me away yet, though it's been likable enough. This Diana...really reminds me of "movie Diana," which certainly isn't the worst thing in the world, though it makes me wonder where exactly Wilson is..."headed?"...with this whole thing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's about the same. Not much better, not much worse. I personally don't like it much either but it's not breaking the book for me or anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah Batman Annual was super good. Reading it was like one big long breath of fresh air. That was also kinda sad. And intense. But still.

So I gave Dan Abnett the...fourth?...try now that My Love Kyle Rayner is apparently a regular on Titans. It actually ain't a bad book at the moment; the team is treated as a serious and competent team, and their mission is given a lot of gravitas as well. I'm probably gonna regret it, but for now I'll...cautiously...give it another go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh, I really like the art change on WW this week. Xermanico is excellent. Is it awful to say that even the story seems to read better, with the better art? I mean...it may just be that the issue itself just moved things along better to build to the climax, but at the end of the day, these are comic books. What we look at on the page matters a lot.