Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hopefully Midnighter shows up in Nightwing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

I prefer Midnighter not be so flaming, honestly. Gay characters are written too much like the straight fear of gays incessantly sexually harassing you too much.

I don't see what this has to do with hoping the character is in a comic book. I don't see a Midnighter solo book and I don't want him to just disappear.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It would really be better for everyone if they just rolled Morrison's t-shirt Superman into that Superman's past and just pretended New 52 Superman never happened.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ferret posted:

I was talking specifically about their romance, which was pointedly not talked about at all as far as I saw.

Maybe they'll pick it up again in Trinity, though!

The Superman/WW romance was the most forced thing. Not once at any point did they come across as having any actual feelings for each other. Hopefully it dies an ignomious death and Superman can reunite with his one true love Bruce Wayne

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

All of those costumes rule so much. The only thing I don't love about this relaunch is David Finch on Batman and Cassandra's costume. Looks like when Hawkeye was 'Ronin' for a while. I want some bat ears or at least a cape. I was sure they'd go somewhere with the bat she drew on her face in blood over in B&RE. Grayson is my favorite book DC is doing right now and I am one thousand percent ready for Tom King to write Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

More Rebirth feelings: Are Jim Gordon or Duke, that guy from We Are Robin, in anything? I know they could always pop up in Detective Comics or something but just adding to my list of "DC-You characters I hope come back in DC Rebirth".

As of Batman #50 Jim Gordon's police commissioner again, so he's almost guaranteed to be a regular face in King's Batman and quite likely Detective Comics as well. In that same issue Bruce is shown approaching Duke saying he has an "offer" for him. It was assumed Duke was going to be the new official Robin, but after todays announcements I dont know if that's still the popular rumor.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Harper Row is the most redundant character ever.

I like Harper but she was literally created because they wouldn't let Snyder use Stephanie or Cassandra so yeah...you're not wrong.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Rucka, I think he's one of the best writers in comics, but it's not particularly encouraging reading that blog post. There's more subtle jabs and complaints about "not my Wonder Woman" than there is actual evidence of good ideas of his own. Ignoring a previous writer's work to tell the story you want to tell is one thing, wasting issues going back and taking it apart just so everything could be precisely how you want it is something else. The little jabs about Diana smiling almost read like he hasn't even read the Azz issues and just looked at the covers and heard that Diana was the God of War now and just assumed it was all grimacing, all the time.

I would much rather he just tell me a story starring 'his' Wonder Woman, because let's face it, this is Rucka and DC, he's not going to be writing this book forever. Every issue he spends saying "Actually, this is how it really happened" is an issue of original story he could be writing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Jeez it'd be tough to think of an announcement they could make that I'd be more underwhelmed by than this. Any word on where Babs Tarr, Annie Wu, and Cam Stewart are ending up? Batgirl, Black Canary, and Gotham Academy were the only DC titles I was still up on, and very few of these books seem to be in that style at all. I just want more fun and visually exciting books please! Is Prez ever coming back?

Tom King on Batman is a book I was ready to be excited for but woof that art team really dials that way back. Although the don't list it here but Jordie Bellaire is coloring I think? I'll probably still check that out, but these are not the Batgirl and Birds of Prey announcements I was looking for after all the buildup in the current books!

Rucka Wonder Woman is tempting, but we're not even through Legend of Wonder Woman yet so I dunno that I'm ready for another year long origin story. I'm also bummed we lost the chance at Marguerite Sauvage's Wonder Woman.

I guess there's still whatever unannounced Multiversity stuff Morrison's working on to be excited for at least!

Gotham Academy isn't ending. It just wasn't given a big fanfare at the Rebirth event. There's a tweet upthread from one of the creators confirming it.

I didn't really care for Black Canary but I agree with you re: Batgirl. Seems really abrupt for a team that basically saved the character, and I don't know how much I trust them not to mess it up.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Burnside was a neighborhood in Gotham.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The new 52 Lois and Clark are revealed to have been Skrulls this whole time

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Killer Croc really gets around in the new 52.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Even Bizarro has an undercut now. It truly am best hairstyle in DC Comics

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

That's a really dumb title.

Everything involving Harley Quinn has been dumb as poo poo since 2009 or so

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Its been like five years since joker cut off his face and that thing is still in great condition.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

10 years in Arkham would've fixed her right up.

Sure, in 10 years DC will have rebooted again and maybe we'll be lucky enough that Joker's Daughter ceases to exist as a character

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

I've been assured there are stories with new Joker's Daughter that aren't poo poo but based on all available evidence I find that hard to believe.

Someone is lying to you, friend

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't understand that at all. Not only is Harley still making them a buttload of money but why would you just take another crazy girl version of the same loving villain and expect it to take off? Maybe give a Superman villain or one of Flash's rogues a Harley of their own and see what happens but christ don't just give us the Big Lots version of Harley.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

Worth it if we get Kenan and Kal.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

goldenoreos posted:

Oh they're going back to the #93837382 numbering for some of their comics. Gonna ignore those then.

Just Action and Detective, so they can hit 1000 issues in a few years. I'm sure they'll get reset back to #1s soon after.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That comes with the Holly Hunter action figure

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Veg posted:

Have we seen Capullo draw the batmobile in any other issue?

I'm really struggling to think of any time we did see it.

The only thing I can remember is the tight rear end Batmobile from Zero Year with the anti grav tires.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

There was at least one explicitly romantic couple in Perez's run and Hippolyte implies lesbian relationships are fairly common among the Amazons.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I feel pretty good that all of those will be solid costumes once they are not being drawn by Jim Lee

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sudo rm -rf posted:

Did anyone else like N52 Superman's design?

If you mean the original Jim Lee with the high collar and the armor lines all over it, no, I don't think anybody liked that design. I think it is a perfect symbol of everything that was wrong with the whole New 52 rebooted continuity, in that it didnt change enough to be worth doing, but it changed enough to be distracting and off-putting.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

In the first issue of Morrison's comic that has the new uniform, he describes it as "kryptonian formal wear", which I thought was a neat concept. I would be fine with him only busting it out on special occasions and sticking to the t-shirt and jeans look for his every day superheroics.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's something stupid.
Frank Cho has been hired to draw a year's worth of variant covers for Wonder Woman.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/30/frank-cho-to-draw-24-covers-for-wonder-woman-this-year/

Ah cool, I was really worried Wonder Woman was going to be too good with Rucka back

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah it was because literally every Green Lantern has their ring run dry every other week at the worst possible time, so when that inevitably happens, at least he's still got a gun. I thought it was a really dumb idea at first until I learned that, now I think he's the only GL who's not a complete idiot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that gun will sure work against Sinestro or Darkseid or Mongul or Doomsday or etc.

Well sure, we as comic readers know that, but he's a fictional character. It only has to make sense to him. Even if having it just makes him feel more confident, and that makes his willpower constructs stronger, that's a more interesting character to me than Ken Doll In Space Makes Big Hands.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Aphrodite posted:

And in the vicinity when an old one dies.

You're saying she had style, she had flair, she was there, that's how she became Green Lantern?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Basically if a new recruit human being Lantern doesn't 100% trust the ring and wants to have a backup means of defending himself, it needs to a) be something he does trust and is familiar with, b) easily obtainable, not made by magic space elves but by regular ol' people, and c) something he can carry on his person easily. A gun can fail but a person can also learn it inside and out, clean it, care for it, etc. to the point that he can probably fix it if it does fail.

Like how pirates in the old times used to carry a brace of pistols since they took forever to reload, the Lantern with a ring and a gun is objectively in better shape than the Lantern who has a ring but no gun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it's just his costume designs. They're really bad.

He is bad in his own right, look at the recent Rebirth stuff where he's drawing other people's costumes. He is still coasting off of being the guy who drew X-Men when it was the most popular thing in the world. People remember him as a good artist because he was extremely high profile and he was good at the style that was hot at the time, where everything was shiny and had a ton of hatching lines all over everything, and he was better than other artists doing the same thing at the time.

He's pure distilled 90s, he's a holograph variant cover in human form.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus Christ that Black Canary looks like a realdoll. I like that Batman though, who's the artist?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Semper Fudge posted:

I'm really into the new artist for Green Arrow.

Oh this is way better. This is dope.

Endless Mike posted:

I really, really don't like that Superman costume.

It need some sunglasses.

That picture it basically looks like the Man of Steel/Batman V Superman costume. It looks way better when it's drawn more spandex-y, but it really misses the red boots. It misses the loving red trunks too but that's a battle I've given up on at this point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finished off Midnighter. Still really good. It feels pretty significant in the current social/political landscape to have a gay couple of superheroes who genuinely enjoy offing their bad guys saying things like "Safety isn't a privilege, it's a right" and that they'd die for innocent people in a heartbeat. Made me realize that if BvS had been a Midnighter v Apollo movie except they started dating at the end it'd probably have been about a hundred times better. Gleeful, over-the-top brutality is so much more interesting than standing around brooding contemplatively.

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie was a Social Justice Warrior before that was a thing. And then before it become a different thing. And then it became kind of the opposite of what it means? But then it came back around a bit but it's still bad.

The only thing bad about the term 'social justice warrior' is that, like 'politically correct' before it, it's become a dogwhistle for hateful assholes the world over. The rest of us just call it "treating human beings with respect"

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 6, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Did we just have this conversation or am I stuck in a Groundhog Day loop

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

JoshTheStampede posted:

Me too, but I don't like when creative teams burn out twice as fast and you have a new artist every two issues.

It will be every one issue, as most of the double shipping books are alternating artists from the get go.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm pretty happy to see a team book with Bruce, Kate, Steph, Tim, and Cassandra on Detective Comics, and Grayson has me really looking forward to Tom King on Batman. What kind of direction were you hoping for?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Space Fish posted:

I've only read the first trade of B&R Eternal, but the ballet story had some standout visuals. I hope the second half isn't utter garbage.

Everything involving Cassandra is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

CharlestheHammer posted:

Super bro may have great potential but if you have over 100 issues of stories without hitting anything interesting then I don't think it's gonna happen.

Also i don't think Superdad has had that many stories unless you are counting else worlds?

Superdad is literally pre-New 52 Superman, so everything since Crisis on Infinite Earths is him.

I think that particular Superman is exactly what the New 52: Return to the 90s needs, personally.

e: and American Alien is fine and cool but I didn't think that was the official in-continuity early years of new 52 Clark?

Where did this appellation "SuperBro" come from, anyway?