Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm confident that this will be the relaunch that succeeds where Infinite Crisis (2005), One Year Later (2006), Final Crisis (2008), Earth-One (2010), the New 52 (2011), and DCYou (2015) floundered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jim Lee seems so likable. 😘

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Supergirl looks skinny af. I approve this Gangly Tween Powerhouse look.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, that's my point. Wally got sacrificed to make Barry the One True Flash again. Replacing New Wally with Old Wally would just be appeasing a slightly different set of fanboys.

I wonder, though: will they ever address the fact Barry erased his own children & grandchilren from existence?

I hope not. Move forward instead of dredging up some past event comics and rolling around in their horrible implications.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zowie, Rucka's run is either going to poo poo all over Azzarello's run, or build on it such that they end up almost a single long arc.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What's the state of Milestone and its IP? Does DC own or license those still?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wonder how much of a creative voice Harras has anymore. It feels like Lee, DiDio, and Johns make a lot of the decisions that I'd normally associate with the EiC.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

New 52 Lois Lane joins the Way/Cloonan Doom Patrol as the sidekick of Danny the Street.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Leaning hard on his distinct powers like Explode Fire and See A Radio, New 52 Superman will take on a new super-identity like Air Wave or the Human Bomb or Super Kryptonian God Super Kryptonian Kal-El.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Let's take it as given that one of the Supermans and one of the Lois Lanes will be shuffled offstage eventually. Post your most interesting speculations re: how.

Note that "they move to Earth 2 (or any other alternate Earth)" isn't that interesting. :nono:

e: And re: New Yorkchat: Every city I've ever been to, except Indianapolis, has a personality and any person who wants to dig into the humanities as an academic or a creator should travel asuch as they can afford. In my 20s, I at least drove through if not properly visited almost every state east of the Mississippi, and I've been further west (the coast, Hawaii) a few times, plus done a little international travel. I'm a better person, a better writer, and a better academic (well, was one) because of it.

ee: And I still have a couple of stories from Indianapolis, even if the city itself was just a central casting Midwestern City. All travel can be good travel.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 29, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I accidentally created the word asuch when I meant as much because I mash the backspace instead of the M a lot on my phone. :pram:

Superman-52 Solar Flares so hard, he converts his entire body into sunbeams, which post-Crisis Superman absorbs for power.

Then the Loises do the same.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But seriously, is going to be super lovely if N52 Superman doesn't get a proper closure.

:ironicat:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Yeah just like the closure the DCU got prior to Fashpoint.

the gently caress out of here with that poo poo

Yeah. The :ironicat: might not have been the best sa-moji to use, but in the past several creative direction shifts under this leadership, DC has committed swiftly and completely. They don't seem to do a lot of closure or transitional stuff (unless that is the new direction, e.g. Convergence). While I certainly would hope they might start to offer closure this time around, or next time, or at any point—the record isn't strong.

If you value closure, this isn't a good time to read superhero comics. Except the Last Days lead-ins to Secret War, I guess?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Knowing your customer base it's probably being well received except for any title with a woman or minority in the book or working on the book.

Let's not overlook comics involving the infernal occult powers of sorcery, or the craven propaganda of evolution THEORY.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The rear end grenade never gets old. :allears:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There are better forms of :filez: out there, surely.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DT, no bullshit, please keep offering commentary on anything and everything related to Mexican history and culture in comics.

Is Lois fleeing from the Decepticon seekers...or leading them? :ohdear:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dan's never going to stop trying to revive Kirby stuff, no mater how little it sells. If you're gonna concede admiration for the guy over anything, it should be that.

That's one of the best, raddest things about DiDio. The fella has some sort of commitment to keeping DC's non-superhero/ancillary properties alive. I don't think we'd have gotten the multiple war/soldier series in the new 52, Dial H, a bunch of loving Metal Men projects, Swamp Thing, a long-rear end run of Jonah Hex, Prez, Omega Men, and a whole raft of other interesting comics if not for DiDio steering the DC ship.

I dislike a lot of what I think DiDio's management has done and continues to do, but his love of DC's weird concept katamari endears him to me as a comics-person.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I think DT has mentioned that he's an archaeologist or at least works in a related field, and I'm trying to subtly goad him into talking about that all the time. I'll forgive all sorts of weird animammaries in exchange for :krad: Templo Mayor stories or w/e.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Four Score posted:

the Judeo-Christian god literally exists in DC comics so I don't see what the problem here is, heathens :catholic:

Yeah DC has a great collection of properties that you shouldn't try to fit together, like Captain Marvel and the Fourth World and Yahweh.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

Well Shazam has the Wisdom of Solomon, so he'd be down with YHWH.

You'd think that Solomon's wisdom would've helped him stop those fifth-dimensional genies as soon as they got rascally, in Crisis Times Five, but nope. It's not like whipping djinni into shape is one of the most well-known applications of Solomon's wise rule or anything.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Like Harley Quinn's origin is that she was Joker's psychiatrist, the next Joker's Daughter should be his public defender.

Her spin-off can be called "JD, JD".

fake e: Possible subtitle, "The Law is an rear end".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Make your own, my friend.

e: I could write up the instructable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Truth outfit, though, is one of the best Superman looks.

:swoon:

The late-period New52 Superman is such a weird little note in the history of the character's identity: a police-fighting strongman who has abandoned his alien battlesuit in favor of casualwear, can explode sunbeams from his body, and, later, listen to the radio with his mind. He has no secret identity and is romancing the God of War.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

His Earth-3 version should have a bunch of guns and wear a power ring for when he runs out of bullets.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Open a Green Lantern police station for the Earth precinct. Alan Scott would be the no-nonsense chief.

e: Captain? Sergeant? w/e

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 3, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Like the art but yeesh the twist of Canary's body here. Especially when she was facing Ollie in the panel just before this spread.

That's an almost textbook-perfect example of a heroic figure posed according to Steranko's Laws of Action, so while on the one hand, gratuitous butt; on the other hand, Steranko's not wrong about those principles making a figure look dynamic—I kind of like it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm a big fan of there suddenly being a reboot thread, which got closed so everything could be shuffled back into the familiar conversation once Rebirth came out.

Well-played X-O. :golfclap: Although you should have found a way to retroactively blame the new thread on d00gz or something.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

To distinguish the two Kid Flashes named Wally West, I propose referring to red suit Wally as "White Lightning".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The best Robin-related Tim Drake costume:

The second best:

A distant third, I guess:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I feel like anyone wanting to update the Batman Beyond costume needs to either have the best idea in the world, or get reprimanded for even suggesting a change. It's no joke the best new superhero look in like four decades.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

shredded beefcakes

The British term for hamburgers.

Crabtree posted:

Please tell me I'm on crazy pills and that DC Rebirth seriously isn't putting loving Watchmen into the mainline DC continuity.

Don't worry, they're just putting Geoff John's half-accurate recollections of Watchmen in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Besides looking great, the best thing about the OYL suit is how much of it is unapologetically lifted from Gatchaman. He should just go full Science Ninja and get a bird helmet for his post-Robin graduation identity.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

Noted lovely Writer Scott Lobdell writes a character well, noted Good Writer Tom King writes him poorly. Is it possible the character is just lovely? You be the judge.

I think that DT's vision of the platonic Jason Todd is mostly "as written by Lobdell", and he judges every other writer's use of the character according to that standard.

THREAD CHALLENGE: Post your favorite Space Cabbie panels.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nooo, space cabbie think about what you're saying here, nooooo

this does not represent a workable plan of action, space cabbie

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Eat my atom dust...in space. :smug:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I liked it for what it was, but I hate that it was made instead of a real Space Cabbie movie. Although I can't complain too much about seeing the deserts of New Mexico on the big screen—they were quite the majestic space for Mr. T to operate a cab in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hope his Earth-3 Owlman-affiliated version of called Red Hoot.

Also his Justa Lotta Animals version.

Also replace the normal DC version with a pet owl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And those guidelines are for run-of-the-mill Wednesday warrior type books. A comic that's seeing unusual sales patterns of any sort can throw the math off. Some things that have kept low sellers going in the past: doing well in trades, being a perennial seller in trades, having very low monthly attrition, and doing well with the nontraditional audience mix that reads digitally.

For instance, there was a rumor floating around that DC editorial anticipates that Omega Men collections could sell decently for years. Keeping the book running for twelve issues would be an investment in steady future returns. Another example: Peter David's X-Factor rode the cancellation line for a long time, but the audience was rock solid. It had remarkably consistent sales numbers every month, for years, instead of showing the normal monthly decline. Reliable money is good money, so X-Factor stayed alive for a couple of extra years.

Digital sales are a big black box of mysterybucks, but literally everything ever said on the matter tells us that Ms. Marvel sells gangbusters online, despite moving anemic numbers through Diamond.