Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Ms. Marvel sells right around 30k through Diamond which, while not in "massive hit" range, is far from "anemic."

Dang, I have no idea how I got it into my head that it sold poorly. It's nice to be wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He's like Jon Hamm, except instead of "stop talking about my enormous penis, I'm an accomplished performer, please acknowledge my body of work and not my veiny Glycon", Batman's like "stop talking about my dick, you are the Riddler not the Dick-Talker, I'm right here ninja-punching you with million-dollar gloves, they're made of space shuttle ceramics".

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

"Those arrows were created to put out nuclear energy" is dumb even by comic book standards. What exactly would he do? Would he shoot the power plant or something?

I think Green Arrow shooting a rampaging atomic kaiju with a No Nuke arrow is the climax of the first JLU episode. In a world where Good At Archery can get you an all-access pass to the Justice League space fort, a nukestopper arrow is :krad: and sensible.

What's dumb is firing a bunch of arrows at The Green Creepsters from Bloom Effect Island while a pile of exposition tells us why it's cool and fine to meltmurder these people with cartoon arrows stolen from someone's Sci-Fi Closet. It's just a Punisher-style execution with a bunch of Lobdellian rambletext pooped all over to say that it's AOK.

Norns posted:

Lark is fine. You can't be serious about Blackbat...

Rhyno posted:

Batboy is worse dude.

Lark is still a bad name.

Combine them! He could be Batbat. Or do it the other way, and call him Bla—*RECORD_SCRATCH.AIFF*

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pull the first appearance of each character from the back issue boxes, and get that guy to check the year of publication for each.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Green Arrow already made Roy a junkie again

Please do not blame anyone else for his addiction, that is not very 12-step of you.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hal Jordan is a dumb character and I can't muster the care to give a gently caress about his continuity. That is how I handle his New 52 issues.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

My whole world will go topsy-turvy if DC has colorists who actually know what the gently caress and don't just paint everything in weak house-style garbage.

My world is very poorly moored, tbh.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What happened to Superman's adopted son from the Phantom Zone? Bring that kid back, bring Kon-El back and stick him in the Lois/Clark household, and give me a six-year arc of a frazzled Clark Kent talking to Alfred for advice on raising a house full of dark-haired, blue-eyed, crimefighting boys.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

I thought the big issue was Bob Kane being the biggest prick in the known universe and forcing Finger and whoever the co-writer was who created a bunch of other Batman elements into signing a contract naming Kane the sole creator of Batman in perpetuity, not that DC was against crediting Bill.

God, gently caress Bob Kane.

It's part of the terms of sale or w/e for DC owning Batman. Bob Kane has to be the sole creator of the character, as far as DC ever acknowledges. Various people at the company have tried for decades to find a way to recognize Finger, entirely out of basic human decency. It looks like they finally found a way that keeps their lawyers and the Kane estate happy. I, for one, am glad of it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gotham is Bad City, Metropolis is Good City. Gotham has LA gangs next to New York and Chicago mobs driving down DC streets past New England architecture along the Baltimore waterfront with a shitload of European gargoyles for some reason.

Metropolis is art deco happy hope times, in contrast.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Metropolis is close enough to Smallville that you can see it from the top of a tiny windmill.

Smallville was a pretty poo poo show.

It's an Elseworld where Superman has been trapped by a Black Mercy for centuries and we get to witness the visions as the plant, succumbing to old age, and Superman's mind slide into their ultimate breakdowns.

Any time you see something on the show that doesn't make sense, remember that.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I wish I had a cite for this, but I understand that Dan DiDio had wanted to do a COIE-style hard reboot for years, but kept getting stymied by someone above him (who had a nerdish concern against rebooting—I'm guessing Levitz), hence all the half-attempts like Infinite and Final Crises.

He finally got his reboot with the New 52, but that seems to have alienated readers (or, at least, not attracted enough of them). Their solution to that is Rebirth, masterminded by Geoff Johns. According to rumors, Johns was overruling DiDio instructions to the creative talent for Rebirth. Now, GJ is off making movies in The Saddest Superhero Film Universe, so who knows what's happening anymore.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hypertime is three or five different things. The Waidest version is the in-setting timeline splitting mechanic thing, and the Morrisonest is the "everything happened, even the things that contradict the other things, because the magic of comics".

The best version is just the idea that the stories you cared about "count", even if they're from the movies or cartoons or Elseworld stories or w/e, and the ones you never read or didn't like? They don't count. If something you like relies closely on something that you don't like, then the latter exists for as long as it's required, and then quietly falls out of the timeline again.

That one isn't even a weird setting change that they need editorial to support; it's just a plea to readers to repeat to themselves "it's just a show, I should really just relax", and enjoy the good stuff. It's also the version Morrison's been running with most consistently, if quietly, in things like how all of his work with Superman seems to tie together into one rough timeline.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't think his objection to 52 was that it was bad creatively, but that it didn't fulfill the editorial purpose for which it had been commissioned. It told its stories very well, but it did remarkably poorly at explaining the missing year for the DCU as a whole (and didn't set up many spin-offs, which had to rankle). Countdown had much tighter fit to original purpose, even if it was poop trash for idiot babies.

I bought almost every issue of Countdown as it was released. Welp.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

About the nicest thing you can say about Forerunner is that between seeming like she was imported from another pop genre, and her vague but broad toolkit of superpowers, she's the most Golden Age character created in a long time.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ZDar Fan posted:

Who do you play?

Harley.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:syoon:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Secondary mutation.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

does whatever a super can
fixes problems
in your pipes
electric issues of all types
hey there
he is the super-man

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ayy Toxxup, as long as you're maniacally binge-reading superhero comics, you should read the entire Wally West run of The Flash. Start a thread and just post your thoughts as you have them—no need to do it on a schedule or post something every issue. It'd be neat to see it from The perspective of someone with strong opinions and fresh eyes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For what it's worth, I suggested Flash because the Wally West series is generally regarded as decent-to-excellent for its entire run. It wasn't because I thought you might want to engage in complete spiritual communion with Wally West, the Flash, the Fastest Man Alive, by consuming the whole of his chronicled history. It would probably be a bit if a slog to read every goddamn appearance of any major "name" character across several decades of constant publication.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's because Flash is the savior of the universe.

He'll save every one of us.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

greatn posted:

Etrigan should be played by Lin Manuel Miranda

:agreed: except Black Thought.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Mr. Oz will reveal the big secret behind Superman is that he's actually Popeye.

🎼 I'm real strong in a fight
Unless there's kryptonite—
I'm Clark Kent the Su-per-man!
toot toot 🎵

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:psypop: What have our schools been teaching, if not that Watchmen was a 12-issue limited series with delays that, though now would be considered nothingburgers, got people catty as poo poo at the time?

The cover of each issue was also its first panel.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

wtf franchise crap are you all talking

Just go to any old local place here.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

All food in Pennsylvania is horrible.

Extremely true, with two caveats:
  • The Conflict Kitchen in Pittsburgh is :wow: good
  • Philadelphia shouldn't count as part of Pennsylvania for most purposes, including this one

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

There's probably a readably Ok essay/article lurking somewhere in the portrayal of Superman with different racial and ethnic identities in recent years, with President Superman from Morrison, the Gods & Monsters Zod-sired Superman raised by Mexican immigrants, and now the New Super-Man.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Benito Cereno posted:

Infantino is a strong contender.

Other possibilities are Kurt Schaffenberger, Curt Swan, Gil Kane, Ramona Fradon, Ross Andru, Bruno Premiani, Joe Kubert, Nick Cardy, and probably some other really good ones I'm forgetting.

For real, no one has to think RF is the absolute best, but I will fight someone with knives if they don't respect her work on Metamorpho.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

One day I will complete my plan of finding every copy of Young blood #1 and setting them all on fire except for one. I will make millions and then we will see who will be laughing.

The Nobel Peace Prize is only $1.2 USD, though. Not sure why you think you'd get millions, plural.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ever since Ma, Pa, and rural Smallville became a meaningful presence for adult Superman—I want to say that started post-Crisis—Superman has looked a lot more like a grown-up farmboy. He usually has a brick shithouse build, somewhere between Cornfed Linebacker and Roidy Strongman depending on the artist.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Uh, it's been over for like two months?

I think he's waiting for us to win a lasting peace.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Jaime has appeared as a major character in, like, all the shows. He's been in multiple cartoons, at least one live-action thing, had a pilot made or almost made for his own live-action series, is in a bunch of video games, has spin-off cartoon-only characters with their own cult followings (Black and Green Beetles), and Dou loving Hong has a Blue Beetle animated series dream project he has put together a whole pitch for, with complete character models and poo poo.

Jaime already made it. He's an unambiguous success, and has penetrated enough pop media that a generation of children know and like him.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just to throw this onto the pile: Google has >31,000,000 results for Jaime Reyes and only about 470,000 for Damian Wayne, but Google Trends shows substantially more search activity for the latter, since about 2011. The Jaime searches are steadier over time, but the Damian searches have incredible peaks (and the valleys are also high, and after a certain point reliably higher than the Jaime searches).

Which I guess just indicates that, yep, both characters are great successes for DC and the company should be pleased with the response to them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Uh so has Cyborg. Know why? Because they were part of DCs agenda so they crammed them into everything. Same reason we are getting Geoffs version of Barry Allen in everything because that's the version of the flash DC wants to push (Remember it was Wally West in the beloved Bruce Timm Justice League cartoons). This is very different then say cable being introduced in the X-men comics, becoming insanely popular, and then appearing in the 90s X-men series because of said popularity or Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain being brought back due to sheer fan demand. Characters like Cyborg and Ted Kord are being pushed by Didio and his ilk.

Have you considered that you're actually a huge turd?

Apologies to Edge & Christian.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

lmao get out

lmao seconded

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just mock the guy and move on. When you engage in point/counterpoint with ideas like "it's bad to intentionally diversify superhero fiction, especially if a c-lister ~*gets disrespected~* for it", you invite that the idea onto the continuum of reasonable discourse. It clearly doesn't belong there.

When rhetoric like that meets instead with appropriate derision, you can shame them out of normative discourse—which improves not only the discourse, but incrementally progresses culture. It's the Racist Tree principle.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

p.s. backward dracula is a turd and his ideas are fart-thoughts from a mind of poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

No No Man's Land? Side note, supervillains should be called " no-no men" or "no-no mans".