Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Has there been any word on Pre52 Booster Gold, Plastic Man, Metal Men, or Doom Patrol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If Superboy Prime was the catalyst for DC:Rebirth by showing he was having huge fanboy meltdowns and being an insane editor messing with the DC line on Earth Prime, I would buy every DC comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Semper Fudge posted:

Holy poo poo, DC gave Gerard Way his own imprint at DC called "Young Animal"

The first 4 books announced for it thus far are:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/eccc-dc-entertainment-all-access

each book looks and sounds awesome. man DC needs an unlimited service.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

Too bad all of those were pretty much terrible, and in the case of Wednesday Comics another case of "hey I want to work with a really cool artist, and since I'm the boss GUESS WHAT?" I'm not really sure why anyone who is into these marginal properties would be into someone reviving them in order to do a bad new take on them. I suppose it beats a world where DC just lets their trademarks lapse?

Didio's take on the Metal Men was one of the better written metal men in years. It was modernized Silver Age take and felt like an extension of the original series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

We're talking about the Wednesday Comics story that was twelve conventional pages blown up large to cover a bunch of really terrible puns and a story of the Metal Men thwarting a bank robbery?

Ok it was second best behind the doom patrol backup, but yes the Wednesday comics story feels like a original run filler issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

God is usually depicted as a cute little doggy.
What jerk wouldn't worship?

Mr. Terrific II

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rhyno posted:

DC really, REALLY wanted JD to be the next Harley Quinn and they were really close to giving her a hard push. Supposedly there are two completed issues of a canceled JD ongoing series sitting in a drawer somewhere by an unnamed creative team.

They should do another cancelled comics cavalcade. a trade every few years would be cool.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Infinite Crisis was a good and led to a revival of a number of DC properties and ideas that all turned out good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HitTheTargets posted:

Infinite Crisis, the seven issue mini, can best be described as that unfinished splash page in #7 that didn't have time to be colored. There's a lot of stuff in it, what is there was competently done, but it blurs together as a really forgettable mess that just sits there on the page.

The biggest misstep with that splash page was that it was only a splash page. The battle of Metropolis should have had an issue to itself. It was supposed to be a giant all out brawl and was a letdown.

That is my only complaint with IC. It was an enjoyable event. Countdown to, the lead in minis, and the spin off series and minis for the most part were all good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely nothing in any of the books that had "Countdown" in the title were good at all.

I'm not talking about the lovely sequel to 52. That was a terrible book.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Why does the Superman action figure's hand open and shut?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Same switch that turns his underpants blue to red.

I see the flash comes with one for his lighting bolts too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jim Lee's also doing interiors for the odd issues. Philip Tan is doing the even issues.

e: PLASTIC MAN SALE!!

https://www.comixology.com/Plastic-Man-75th-Anniversary-Sale/page/10600?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Great sale. It even has 1940's Jack Cole stuff.

e: Those original series issues are public domain, if you wanna save $8.

The 80's mini is good and the 90's Ty Templeton written and drawn special is really good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
If there is a superman who is pre-flashpoint running around, how hasn't he figured out the flashpoint junk and killed histories greatest monster Barry Allen?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Barry Allen accomplished what the anti-monitor couldn't. The destruction of the DC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jack of Hearts posted:

I've only read N52 super sparsely, what happened to Rip Hunter? Has he been around? Seems like he fell down on the job hard.

He was erased from existence and Booster Gold was rebooted into generic Canadian.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Are there people who like Cyborg?

I don't mind him.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Clint! :swoon:

This needs to happen weekly now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Finally finished up the rebirth issues.

Batman was not very good. I might give it a couple more issues.

Superman was great and sad. I can not wait to see where this goes.

Green Lantern was good. The only issue I had is I have no idea who Baz and Cruz are because I didn't not read their New 52 stuff.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

I like how they just keep getting more and more desperate in their attempts to make Calendar Man a ~SERIOUS VILLAIN~

It is real dumb. Keep the guy as a fun gimmick character that you dust off every couple of years for a filler issue.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
James Tynion IV is considered a bad writer correct?

Lark should have been named Warbler or Wren. The yellow is gross too. Although if he appears in a film they can get Wiz Khalifa to do Lark's theme.

Are there previews for Flash, WW, or Aquaman out? I'm not finding any.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 2, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

X-O posted:

The only thing I've regularly read by him is The Woods from Boom. It's really good. Even though I have no interest in it I hear that Batman/TMNT is actually good for what it is.

I'm remembering D_T hates him and wasn't his Talon series garbage? Maybe I'll just wait for first impressions in Detective.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Madkal posted:

Some of his stuff I have liked and some of his stuff I haven't. I wouldn't say he is bad though, he is just.....there.

edit: DT hates him because he didn't "get" Jason Todd like writing superstar Lobdel, so take that with a grain of salt.

His Talon was okay...and not offensively bad. Like I said, he is just...there.

His Batman #52 was pretty good though.

X-O posted:

Well if D_T hates him then he's probably at least pretty good.

Ok I'll wait to see what the reaction is first.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

What is the white thing Alfred takes from the avocado? You can see it in the second frame. Is it supposed to be a mystery?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Where is D_T? I would like to hear his insane thoughts on the new books. He doesn't just buy 33 copies of Red Hood a month. He has to buy more right?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Sounds like they should cancel it and kick Hitch to the curb.

Good to know that title can be skipped.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's probably the 40s and 50s when every kid in America read their $0.10 comics.

I bet a poor seller back then was probably in the hundred thousand range.

e: Detective Comics preview http://www.avclub.com/article/gothams-young-heroes-start-their-training-detectiv-237683
Aquaman preview http://comicsalliance.com/aquaman-rebirth-preview-abnett-jimenez/

Those both look good. Although the art in Aquaman is a little iffy in spots (woof at that Mera face).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Edge & Christian posted:

I started looking up years and seeing DC's market share and it's not worth sharing the whole list because it is like *constantly* between 29-31% every year with a few exceptions. There were blips where it was 33-34% in 2005-6 for Infinite Crisis/One Year Later/52, and then in 2011/2012 New52 spiked it up to 31/32% respectively. Given that the overall money spent on comics went up between 2005 and 2012, 2012 is in fact their biggest 'money' year, not adjusting for cover price or inflation or anything else.

It's also worth noting that 2015 saw DC drop to 26% market share, the lowest it's been since the early 1990s.

The whole EVERYONE READ EVERYTHING back in the 1940s-1970s or wherever people arbitrarily put that line is kind of weird when you're looking at it from a business perspective.

Even adusting for inflation, a 10 cent comic in 1938 would be $1.64 today. And to pick a year out of a hat, here's circulation statements from 1966, a few years into the Silver Age resurgence. Of course everyone working in comics right now would kill to get those "average paid circulations", which is a wonky number for any magazine ever since it pays to exaggerate/cook the numbers to seem as high as possible to then push your success to ad companies and newsstand operators. Regardless, let's say Batmania mean there were legitimately 900,000 copies of Batman sold every month.

900,000 copies of a $0.15 comic means gross sales of about $135,000. Adjusted for inflation, that's just over $1,000,000. That means if the average comic today sells for $4, selling an average of 250,000 copies of the tippy-top book each year means it's equally lucrative.

This is cool. I wonder if the price of a comic where to drop. Would the market share go up? Would it stay the same. Makes you wonder if they could do digital only books at $2 a pop.

I do find it extra funny that the IC/OYL/52 which was arguably the last time DC put out line wide good to great books. Then they ran as fast as they could from it with countdown.

As an aside. How is the Legends of Tomorrow book?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just answered in the releases thread, but it's a random bundling of miniseries that they were going to put out separately like the current Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing things.

Sugar and Spike is the only interesting take (the title was previously a funny book from the 50's starring babies) and has wonderful art. It's about PI's who take on cases for superheroes that are in danger of having aspects of their goofy golden/silver age past exposed.

Metal Men is decent in an olden days sorta way. The other two are crap.
Trade wait for Sugar and Spike if it sounds interesting.

I would start with number one and catch up. I'm interested in pretty much every character, but if it sucks do not want to read it.

Edit: reading your post would you say wait for trade then? I am buying digital.

Edit again: ok the big two I wanted to read was S&S and metal men. Metamorphic and firestorm always sounds interesting but every book of theirs suck anymore.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 4, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rhyno posted:

A guy in the store just called Darkseid a ripoff of Thanos!

Hold my coat I'm gonna correct the gently caress out of this guy!

Tell him Thanos is a rip off of Dr. Doom.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

That looks good. I have a feeling Action Comics under Jurgens will be "Good" never bad. Never great. A good, solid run.

Is Luthor a good guy? I'm confused by what he did in Nu52

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

He won the day in Forever Evil and worked with the Justice League in the final run from issue #30.
In the Darkseid War, he got warped up to Apokolips, found a tribe of Apokoliptians who were prophesied to be led by Superman and went "That's me!" They gave him that suit and a Mother Box that somehow he made say "Lex" instead of "ping."

Has he shown any indication of the evil scheming Lex?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Gaz-L posted:

See, this is why Geoff should've made it Superboy Prime.

This is the correct answer. Should have made it Superboy Prime became EIC of DC and was wrecking the DCU from Earth Prime. Is stupid but inline with all of the "legacy and history" of DC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

greatn posted:

Why don't they just write Superboy Prime to become editor at Marvel and take out their competition?

Nah. The character has a hate Boner and was shown to read every DC comic and post Angry messages on the DC boards. He is a satire of the petulant man child comic fan. Of course his natural evolution would have been to petulant man child writer at DC who makes the DCU HIS way.

Edit: this would be too self aware for Geoff Johns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Why can't we have good stories and books with the rich history?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Miller and Romita Discuss the death of Jason Todd in DKR: The Last Crusade

I actually had forgotten about this one. Reading through the preview pages, I couldn't help but to think about Kick-rear end. The tone feels similar.

Do you have any opinions on anything non Jason Todd related?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Endless Mike posted:

He has plenty. They're usually "it's bad" though.

I haven't seen any expect, "please notice me Jason Todd."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

X-O posted:

The point that DC editors and DC readers need to learn is that it doesn't matter if things are contradictory as long as it's a good story. Marvel doesn't worry about if a story they're writing today clashes with some random poo poo in the '80s and that's the way it should be. Continuity can be a fun part of comics, but just concentrate on writing good stories and I won't care if you want to do something that clashes with the past.

Yeah I agree with this. I think one of the biggest problems they have is DC is constantly tinkering with origins or introducing a 7th robin when nobody ages past 35.

Toxxupation posted:

At this point DC's canon is both its biggest strength and weakness. There's so much of it, and so much of it is actively contradictory that unless one utilizes something like Hypertime (which is basically a Morrison-only idea at this point) the sheer amount of canon is downright paralyzing. You can even see it with all the various Crises that DC does; outside of Identity they're all corrective actions meant to explain or justify certain sticky points of the canon/fold in out-of-canon acquisitions like Wildstorm or Vertigo or whatever. It's largely from DC trying to create one universe much like the 616 Marvel was built on, even though as soon as Barry Allen was created it just doesn't really work without needlessly complicating the backstory.

DCYou was not only a good idea, it's really the only realistic way to treat how complicated the larger DC comics universe has become. It should embrace the fact that it's a company founded on Legacy and stop trying to be Marvel. But, well.

The biggest problem with the sheer amount of canon is accessibility. It is both expensive and a pain to track down individual back issues digitally or psychically. Fix this and it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Hypertime is Waid's baby. :flashfact:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

bobkatt013 posted:

I have also heard that DC does not care about digital sales which is real stupid

Like Madkal says they don't even wait for trade sales. poo poo they don't even put out trades for entire runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Karl Kesel do more wth it in Superboy than Waid ever got the chance to do himself?

Beats me. I've never had the chance to read Superboy.