Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Batman Beyond suit is designed for a cartoon. It's a design that looks good and dynamic with flat colours, fluid movements, and minimal lighting or shading. Trying to elevate that to highly chiselled definition kind of misses the point of the costume.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really like the rebirth Teen Titans designs, though. The street clothes stuff is a nice touch that grounds the characters as people as well as superheroes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I kind of like the idea that he was actually fond of the Robin identity and doesn't want to graduate so much as adapt it to himself. I also have a feeling that if he did graduate, most people would just dismiss him as "not Nightwing". He's definitely still in a kind of awkward middle child place, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Madkal posted:

Didn't Jason throw a thug off a roof to his death. Grade-A stuff.

To be fair, I think it's left ambiguous whether he did or not. He runs ahead of Batman to chase the guy, and when Batman arrives, the guy has fallen off the balcony and Jason says that he stumbled and fell while trying to get away.

Like, it's implied that it's probable or possible Jason did it, but the main point of the scene is to introduce the doubt and tension between Batman and Robin.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think a Robin who comes from a background of deprivation and uncertainty, who is rebellious and reluctant to trust his super-rich, controlling mentor-dad, is a really great idea. Sadly it probably wasn't executed well on balance in Jason's case, but the solution to that was to revamp the character, not have the Joker murder Batman's child sidekick as a publicity stunt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Travis343 posted:

The reader is 100% meant to assume Jason is lying there. The build up of that scene lasted issues, as Jason becomes increasingly enraged at the amount of red tape and laws preventing them from taking this guy down, and he blows up when it comes out that the dude is basically going to walk. Just reading that scene like a script it's kind of ambiguous but in the context of the story it's like, yeah Jason just fuckin killed that dude.

That's fair, yeah. It's been a long time for me.

e: although I still do think it's kind of important that, while the reader may be certain of it, Bruce isn't, can't be, doesn't want to be, etc.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

To be clear, I'm not a particular fan of Jason Todd and think Red Hood is hot garbage. Just a shame about Death in the Family, because I think the character did have potential, and even if he'd been a total dud with no hope of ever being written better, that was a low way to write him out.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That Wonder Woman is cringeworthy in general. She's standing next to this ridiculously built Superman and yet looks so, so skinny.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

What really needs to happen is for Batman to bust out tachyon-laced gloves so he can punch Doctor Manhattan while Manhattan reacts with shock and confusion about how a normal human could be beating him up.

This is so awful and hilarious and I desperately want it to happen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

HOLY poo poo BRUCE WAYNE IS BATMAN!!!

Seems weird that they revealed this in an issue of Red Hood. Maybe it's non-canon? I mean, Bruce Wayne does a lot of charity balls and fundraisers and stuff. I don't see how he could possibly be Batman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Snagglepuss is clearly gay, and I also suspect that Huckleberry Hound is gay. This is more controversial, but I think I could sustain the point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the black bodysuit looked really synthetic. Ivy covering up is an interesting choice that I'd like to see explored more, but it seems weird that she'd put on a sort of secret agent/tech villain-looking outfit to do it. Like, her using a leaf pattern instead of real leaves is very odd.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

TheHan posted:

I guess I was a fool for thinking the Batman who Laughs was gonna be anything over than the ultimate edge lord blandfest.

Right?

What kept striking me as I read that origin story comic was just, "none of what the Joker is doing is funny, there's no gimmick or shtick here, he's just murdering people". And the same goes for the Batman Who Laughs - he just like, murders his family, makes Superman kill his own family and murders the rest of the Justice League. Where are the jokes? He might as well have been Batman crossed with Mr. Zsasz.

I swear the vast majority of comics writers do not get the point of the Joker as a character.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The idea that Dr. Manhattan going to a new galaxy, a clean slate, at the end of Watchmen resolves in him going and becoming a villain in the main DC universe is such a catastrophic misreading of the resonance of that moment. So is the idea that Dr. Manhattan would want to make things "darker". "Dr. Manhattan killed Superman's parents" is the ultimate apotheosis of this extremely bad take.

Also "Ozymandias gathers new-Rorschach and two kooky criminals in the Batcave Owlcave to undertake a mysterious mission" is like standard DC event writing. The characters are only tenuously linked but let's form a Team and go on a Mission. It's the exact kind of hokey superhero writing Watchmen was deconstructing.

Also, if new Rorschach doesn't write things down, why is his internal monologue still written on journal pages? Who's collating the clumsy exposition at the end of the issue? Or are these things only there because of a cargo cult-y desire to recreate the symbolic language of the original Watchmen without caring about its substance?

Tolerable as a standard DC event comic, but a predictably weak take on the source material.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Are you sure about that? Wikipedia says she's notable for being...oh, longest running female writer of the character. Guess, ironically, not a lot of women have written Wonder Woman.

Wow, that's...odd. Like, that doesn't sound like it should be that way.

I would lay odds there's a causal link between this and Wonder Woman's historic difficulties with coalescing into a consistently resonant character. For most of the time she's existed, there have been like maybe two, three men in the industry at any one time who were capable of writing a female lead effectively.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Madkal posted:

One of those things is realistically horrific and the other is over the top 14 year old kid trying to be edgy so he can write mid-90s image comics. Maybe comparing apples and sliced up faces oranges.

Is it "realistically horrific" that there would be armed cadres of women who jump on board ships, rape the sailors, and then kill them? Because to me it sounds exactly as ludicrous as the other stuff in addition to being a total desecration of Wonder Woman's backstory.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also, the art makes clear that the Amazons get full on naked to do the rapes, so there's a slice of gonzo male fantasy in there as well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Thranguy posted:

I liked azz's Wonder Woman. But I liked it better the first time I read it, when it was called Eddie Campbell's Bacchus.

I think most of it's actually good but the, "actually, the Amazons are evil rapists who kill men and sell male babies into slavery and Diana was just too stupid to ever think about where babies come from," bit is a very significant black mark on the work as a whole.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doomsday Clock issue two was really bad, yeesh. I can't imagine anything I want less in a comic than Lex Luthor and Ozymandias simmering at each other ominously.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

amigolupus posted:

Maybe it's just me, but this feels like Johns is being a petulant child towards Moore by going, "Nyu-uh! See, your villain's plan was so stupid, haha!"

Yeah, it feels exactly like that to me too. I guess it's in character for Lex Luthor, but it also feels like Johns trying to prove his sequel is worthwhile by taking shots at the reality of the original.

Also, yeah, there's zero reason why Veidt would conclude Bruce Wayne is one of the smartest people in the world unless he instantly genius-intuited that Bruce Wayne is Batman through a Google search, which admittedly would be fairly in character. If it's not that, it just comes off as shoddy writing to get Batman into the story as soon as possible because All Events Must Have Batman.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

So Snagglepuss is superb. Not just "a funny take on a ludicrous premise", the first issue is really strong and is the best thing I've read from DC in a while. Can't wait to see more of this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd read about the Rosenbergs before, but looking it up again, I'd forgotten how excruciating the wife's execution was. It adds a good bit of nastiness to that couple imagining that they got an extra good show.

Yeah, the throughline of that couple heading to the show is a super good piece of writing that builds an expectation, subverts it, and then uses that for foreshadowing and tone. I'm really looking forward to where this goes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

^burtle posted:

Gottdamn Doomsday Clock has been so loving bad.

I literally can't believe they had the Comedian get resurrected so he could quip and gurn and fight Ozymandias. This is bottom grade garbage.

Also, it was kind of a big deal in Watchmen that the only person in the world with actual superpowers was Dr. Manhattan. Why does the Mime, a random petty criminal, have powers? Did Geoff Johns read Watchmen?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

...Is this what I sound like a lot of the time when I full-sperg nitpick about things? "They gave this guy powers...WATCHMEN RUINED 5EVER"

I mean, I don't think this ruins Watchmen, but if he does have superpowers (which he appears to?) it definitely indicates that Geoff Johns had an extremely limited understanding of the text.

If anything I think you might be overreacting to my statement here a little. Doomsday Clock bad, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The art is definitely gorgeous, but for the most part, the writing is this super thin imitation of the outer layer of Watchmen's style. It feels more interested in throwing together toys from the toybox and trading on the strength of the original story than in trying to establish any bona fides of its own. We're meant to think it's cool that Ozymandias and Rorschach are meeting Lex Luthor and Batman, but we're meant to think that solely on the basis of what happened in the actual good story that came before this. In a vacuum, the characters are very generic.

Rorschach in particular is a neat bit of cargo cult writing. A new character has taken up the Rorschach mantle and certain of his surface level affectations, and the reason this is happening is entirely so that Doomsday Clock can technically have Rorschach in it. There's nothing to this character beyond the fascia, and the role he serves in the story is just, "be Rorschach, people like Rorschach".

I liked the bit with the noir movie and the old folks' home in the most recent issue, I guess. That seemed like an attempt to penetrate a bit beyond the facile surface level resemblance to Watchmen the book has been cultivating so far.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm really enjoying Priest's Justice League. Barry's predicament in this issue, and the space cockroach previously, feel rooted in way more scientific rigour than comic books usually bother with. It's still not realistic science, but it has enough of a basis in fact that it feels like someone thought about it. To me, that sells the skills of the Justice League as problem solvers, and underlines just how difficult their job is: they aren't just punching monsters, they need to think up complex solutions to labyrinthine problems or risk causing more harm than good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space Fish posted:

I am hoping against hope that Jessica is doing some sort of green-spectrum mind meld with Bruce to address his lingering doubts or something.

It's gotta be a misdirect. I don't buy for a second that they're genuinely meant to be making out sincerely. "This is going to be complicated" sounds like intentionally ambiguous language.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Everyone should be reading Snagglepuss. Both issues so far have gone from strength to strength. It's seriously really good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

I'm a little wary of the events that have been going on in Detective Comics. I don't hate the story being told exactly, but there's just a lot to be wary about, here, and a lot of paths being taken that there isn't any going back from.

It's good comics, and Batwoman's not even wrong, but it still feels like her character is being done a little dirty.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm confused by this development because it was so obvious I straight up thought the comic had revealed it earlier, like I had a vague memory of that being the case.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Priest's JL is going from strength to strength. I love that his League are doing crisis response to serious problems that aren't based in, "a supervillain is tearing up midtown!", but have some actual imagination behind them. Also making me like Cyborg more than I've ever liked Cyborg. Vic is like, genuinely interesting in this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I really loved it. This arc has been the best Justice League stuff I've ever read, easily. It's actually making me care about characters like Aquaman, Cyborg and Barry Allen. All the people who are normally incredibly bland are imbued with large interest and humanity by Priest's detailed, attentive style.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roth posted:

I'm just kinda bummed that it's getting cut short because I really like Priest's "Superheroes as a political thriller" shtick that he does, and it getting dumped for Snyder's brainless looking dreck of "STARRO ON THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?!?!?! WOAH!!! READ TO FIND OUT WHY!!! ALSO TONIGHT A JUSTICE LEAGUE DIES!!" is pretty off putting.

Yeah, same. This feels like a Justice League I'm really interested in reading, for once, and it's sad that it's slated to be a short term thing.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tynion's run on Detective isn't really about Batman, it's about the Knights. Batman is just a supporting character. Which I like, honestly. It's basically a Batfamily team book, and that's cool.

I don't think he's ragging on Batman. It's a bit unfair to read Jason and Barbara's points as "the author's true opinion!" while just ignoring Dick and Tim, who have equally well-developed dialogue on the subject and basically agree with Bruce to varying degrees. I thought it was on the whole pretty nuanced.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also I loved the segment where Batwoman is realising that, in killing Clayface, she did to Cass what the terrorists who killed her mother did to her. It could easily be a trite moment, but instead it's this poignant realisation that her actions had consequences beyond the immediate cessation of a threat, and that in attempting to protect Cass, she might have inflicted yet another lifelong trauma on her.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Re: Detective Comics, "maybe one day they'll kill me too" is loving heartbreaking. I straight up teared up at that spread.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it devolves into a bit of an overpacked mess in the final issues. For the tail end I honestly wasn't clear on what the deal was with some of the subplots, and a lot of them seem to just peter out into "appears in the final confrontation for one page or one panel". The tenth metal thing and the Leaguers in the suits of silver super armour was hokey and pulled from nowhere too.

Also it bugs me that nth metal has been re-interpreted as ninth metal. The whole point of the nth metal thing is that it's a metal so far beyond our comprehension that we can't assign a specific operator to it and have to use an algebraic value, "n", to represent its incalculably powerful properties. If you rank it out in a hierarchy of numbered super-metals you kind of miss the whole point of the name. At least call the other ones like, I don't know, yth or zth metal.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Civil War 2 was bad, but it was a lot more comprehensible than I ended up finding Metal. I guess I don't have high hopes either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

What, no Countdown (to Final Crisis)? Shameful.