Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
All that hype and rumors for Wally and it turns out it's just the new version that no one likes showing up in everything. Hooray. Yippee.

Anywho the only news I'm actually really excited about is Rucka on Wonder Woman. That's a good one.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Let's be honest, replacing New Wally with Old Wally is motivated by the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

RIP Original Wally West, sacrificed on the altar of Silver Age Nostalgia.

Here's hoping they can at least tell not poo poo stories with the New Wally. They eventually managed it with New 52 Batgirl, after all!

I'm sorry I don't remember a half asian Barry Allen who's really good at math but has incredibly strict parents showing up and dicking around with Wally while he was The Flash. Tell me how this is the same situation.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

The issue is replacing a new character with an old one to pander to fans is the exact same reason that Geoff Johns resurrected Barry & Hal in the first place. I don't like the new Wally and god knows I'd like to have the odl one back, but two wrongs don't make a right, here.

Except they still thought, yeah, it's a good idea to bring Wally back. Which is not something that happened with Barry during Wally's tenure -- as a matter of fact, one of the best Flash stories ever is about how lovely an idea that was.

But that's what they've done. They decided they should start using that Wally West name. But instead of doing it any justice they did it horribly. Now imagine if during Wally's run they brought back Barry as a completely different character. That's the problem. If you're going to bring back Wally West bring back Wally West, don't just reuse the name like that's the only part of the character that matters.

The problem is thinking that the characters can't coexist. That's what ruined The Flash Family in the first place and has set The Flash as this mediocre at best book since 2009. You don't have to replace Barry when you bring back Wally. There's literally two Supermen who've been hanging around DC for the last year. There's six Green Lanterns now. There's infinite Batman spinoffs. You don't have to kill Barry to bring back Wally, even if bringing back Barry is the worst thing that ever happened to Wally the first time around.

edit: also minor note that Kid Flash costume looks atrocious on that character design. They should learn from Danica Williams if they want a black person in an open cowl Flash suit.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 26, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Part of it is going to be the way they changed too.

Barry Allen died saving the entire multiverse and being awesome. Characters mourned, he was remembered, a big part of Wally's character was living up to Barry.

Wally disappeared in a puff of smoke and was negated from existence.

When Barry died Wally did everything he could to live up to the example he set.

Barry returned the favor by personally deleting Wally and the rest of his family from existence because he missed his mom and is, apparently, an amateur time traveler.

Seems pretty fair to me.

Presumably Wally's course was run when he sacrificed himself to save the world from Superboy Prime, but then they made it so that that was actually Barry, and Superboy Prime came back a few months later, and oh so does Wally well now everything's a convoluted mess. Oh well!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Haven't watched the stream, what is the difference between the two titans titles?

Teen Titans is about Damian recruiting a new bunch. Apparently that group includes NuWally, Starfire, Beast Boy, and someone who looks like Raven but has a different haircolor...?

Titans is the continuation of Titans Hunt, which is about the original squad who are all adults now. The original squad sans Good Wally, of course.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

So going through all the stuff, aside from a couple of actual big changes (like Rucka coming back) this just seems like your generic reshuffling of talent. There's very little particularly interesting -- none of the pitches themselves seemed like big mixups or major changes in direction. Maybe it's because I'm tired of Batman and am not going to read it even if King is on it that I'm so blase about it (as I was, like everyone else, hoping King went onto books I had an interest in) but nothing here seems particularly fresh or interesting.

Heck, even Rucka on Wonder Woman is technically a retread, if a refreshing retread at that.

Madkal posted:

Now that Rucka is back on into the fold it's time for DC to make a play for Waid.

Hahahahhahha

Rucka on Wonder Woman and Waid on Wally West. The mid 2000s nostalgia express. They could even do their crossover again. Pipe dreams are nice.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 27, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Salt the goddamn Earth with the remains of that run. If you like it you can just reread those issues, they're still around. :c00lbutt:

This is the most obnoxious poo poo. Please don't tell people off by saying that back issues exist.

Imagine if someone told you, when Azz's run was happening, to go reread the Rucka WW run (probably for the tenth time, right?) if you want it so badly instead of expressing your opinion. It solves nothing and just agitates people.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

This joke already blows.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Rebirth TT series is coming later. No idea why they didn't just finish on Greg Pak's story.

Several DCYou series seem to be going right up until they get replaced, or just not stopping in June/July, though I can't imagine there'll be more than one more issue after these solicits for stuff like Doctor Fate.
There were way less "Final Issue"'s in the last two months than expected.

Presumably Kid Flash has to exist first for him to get recruited by Damian. As it is it's going to be a pretty short turnover.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

goldenoreos posted:

I find it overwhelming and outdated. There's really no good reason to go back to old numbering when this is a new universe with new (old) characters (though having old Superman now in the New52 world just makes things more confusing and eye-rolling). Plus it makes it even harder for me to recommend comics to friends when those Pak Action Comics are no longer Forty something but now 9230842302 out of a billion.

If your friends get confused by saying something like 940-950 then they've got other problems. If they ask "why do I start with 940" you just tell them that's a recent story arc that's a good place to jump on. The same way you'd handle it if they asked "why do I start with #40?" That third digit can't be that complicated.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

goldenoreos posted:

An extra zero makes all the difference honestly to non comic readers. I ran a comic club for a while and that was honestly one of the things that kept newer readers confused. There really is no added benefit in the long run for going back to the numbering since the beginning system.

The benefit is they can do some big publicity thing when it hits 1000, obviously.

I've never had the problem you're having, either when I was getting into comics or reccing them to others. I generally had more problems talking to people about how screwy DC's definition of "volumes" are when we get these weird situations with volumes representing huge eras or smaller collections. Now that's some asinine poo poo. A hundreds digit's simple as gently caress. Asking someone to look up Flash volume 2 or Green Lantern volume 3 is gonna turn up like 10 different conflicting results.

If they can't understand that comics have existed for a really long time and you're recommending them newer ones then that's a shame. Both for you and their comprehension.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

How was Morrison and Millar's Flash run? That collection that just came out is looking quite tempting.

Pretty good. Though I'd suggest reading Waid's first run before hand if you could.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Good thing it's fully available in trade paperback!

Oh wait.

Funny thing is they're going to start reprinting it in September. If only they'd swap the orders and we'd get Waid's run being reprinted THEN Morrison's.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A lot of the buildup went nowhere. Mobius is one shoted out of nowhere, Grail has gone full Mary Sue, aside of Batman nothing has really been done with the league as new gods (hell Hal vanished from the plot), the Syndicate is just standing looking "evil", Lex is pretty underwhelming and Barda was put in a bus.

What the gently caress why am I agreeing with you?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know...guns can also fail. Like that is a thing that can happen with guns. Has he ever even actually shot anyone with it?

And can someone Cliff's Notes Jessica Cruz for me? I've been keeping up with none of this.

It gives him multiple points of failure instead of a single one. You wouldn't tell a marine to get rid of their sidearm because their rifle is a generally better weapon.

Maybe he should use his space connections to get a really good laser gun or something but the idea of a sidearm isn't preposterous.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Trast posted:

I was surprised that it took this long to have a woman from earth be a lantern, even if she has to be from the literal criminal dimension.

Jessica Cruz is not from the Crime Syndicate Earth.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I agree with this :colbert:

Is the opposite for me, the lack not only of Hal (who has been sidelined from the league after the opening arc in the N52) and pre Flashpoint Superman essentially ursurping SuperBro's place (I can't simply believe that Bruce will accept this new Superman just like that) has killed all my interest on the rebirth JL

It's nice to know I could go back to hating your opinion so quickly.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

If there is a superman who is pre-flashpoint running around, how hasn't he figured out the flashpoint junk and killed histories greatest monster Barry Allen?

I think, as far as he's aware, this is just a new universe that's different from his and not his old universe that got hosed up because Barry wanted to hug his mom.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Is that an Electric Red Superwoman in the background? How many Super people is DC going to have now? And I thought the amount of Spider people at Marvel was getting out of hand.

all this poo poo and we still can't get a Flash family after a decade of bitching about it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DrProsek posted:

The new logo's not bad, but yeah best I can say is "that sure is a logo". :geno: Those blocky letters feel sorta dated but I'm no graphics design guy so I can't say that with any kind of authority.

You don't have to be a graphics design guy to judge a logo meant for you to digest, anyhow.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Titans Hunt continues to be the cockteasingest series ever conceived.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Travis343 posted:

I'd be upset if a comic about super-powered teenagers was satisfying your cock, frankly

Uuuuuuuuum I said Titans, not Teen Titans. Learn your team names ya DORK

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh Lobo went back to normal.

Considering that's an alternate universe, not really.

He was also somehow even more of a callous, uncaring jerk than Lobo normally is (was).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't really followed the dad Superman series but have they gone into it all about how insanely hosed up it must be for everyone Clark and Lois knows to be dead? Like Lois' entire family is dead, Clark's parents are dead, their adopted son Chris is dead, Jimmy Olsen is dead, Perry White is dead, ect, ect, and they're all replaced by similar-but-different versions.It seems like that must be insanely depressing that they can't actually reference anyone they ever knew without being reminded that they all got effectively murdered by Barry Allen.

Lois is burying those feelings into raising Chris and in her solo reporting work -- she specifically said so long as she has Jon and Clark she'll be able to push on. Superman feels uneasy in this world because of how edgy it is or whatever and has been doing behind the scenes superhero work.

I'd say he doesn't see his universe as dead and this is just another universe they got stranded on, but he's outright said his world died so that's not really the case. I guess he's seen it happen a few times so it might be a case of "welp, it'll probably fix itself eventually." There's not much he can do about it, he doesn't even know about Flashpoint or why it happened.

Heathen posted:

Look at the upper right of the C and compare to the upper right of the Superman S. The upper left of the D looks like the wing on the Batman logo. Inside the D and C corners are triangles that look like the points on Wonder Woman's.

I totally believe it is real and intentional because of how poo poo and muddled it is. You just know they told an intern to rewrite DC so it looked like their logos and that is what they got.

DC is just loving awful.

It was actually a very successful design consultancy called Pentagram.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think it's still implied that there's space in the infinite multiverse for a pre-Flashpoint world to exist that it's Metropolis can return to and divert from it's crisis. I mean, if preventing COIE and morphing to modern day is the only thing, then that wouldn't be possible and would go against the point of the whole "We can now use everything from anywhere" messaging.
Again, vague nonsense. It probably would've served them better to make it even more vague and simplified like the end of Secret Wars where the Richards family is just dreaming universes back.

Dad Superman's entire narrative has been that his world died and there's nothing to go back to.

Obviously it's comics and saying anything is permanent is daft, but the only comic that's even touching on the issue is saying there's no more Pre-Flashpoint Earth.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

The darkest parts of my mind want like a two issue arc of Superdad going after history's greatest monster Barry Allen yelling at him to leave the time traveling to Rip Hunter, and The Legion. Followed in a huge twist instead of ripping his arms off he rips his legs off. Launching into a new series for Barry in being the fastest Oracle alive. :v:

You should go read the original Flashpoint. It's basically about if Barry Allen was the only superhero but also he ended up being crippled so only had his super speed thinking to help humanity. Fastest Oracle Alive indeed.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jiro posted:

There are two Flashpoints? Basically what I was getting at is Johns made me absolutely hate Barry and this whole bullshit of the most recent Flashpoint SHOULD have stayed as a Flash arc and not some half assed event that they've been trying to slowly undo since it happened.

Yep, the original Flashpoint was an elseworld story in the 90s. Written by McGreal if you're interested.

And yes, Johns' Flashpoint was supposed to be closer to Chain Lightning than Crisis, but editorial hijacked it to usher in a reboot because they didn't have anything to setup and it was a financial emergency.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

A bunch of those aren't particularly good so that's not saying much.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

They aren't? Oops. My mistake.

A bunch was probably a strong word. Maybe it's just me but I found Doctor Fate dreadfully uninteresting and really dislike the writing in Batgirl and Black Canary. L&C has been fine if boring (the Jurgens special) and I feel similarly about Hellblazer. Darkseid War kind of gone the way of a deflating balloon, too. Maybe the finale will liven it up but it was billed as this epic clash between AM and Darkseid and has turned into this weird Grail story and boy could I not give a poo poo about Grail.

There's also a few on that list I haven't read but you were presenting it like some high quality stuff being pumped out en masse and there's definitely some room for disagreement.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

That quoted statement is inarguable, though.

Vagueness is a strong defense mechanism, I'll admit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't care too much for Roy (It's the stupid hat.) and have no idea who Omen is. No complaints about Troy or Garth.

But Nightwing looks great back in blue. It's amazing how much better the blue looks on him then the Red.

Omen's an original Teen Titans run member, Pre-New Teen Titans that everyone is familiar with. That's basically the entire cast of Titans, folks who came before the Wolfman era.

Honestly she's basically just Raven without the whole Trigon thing going on. Aloof magicy feelings person.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm not saying that didn't happen, but it's a fact that there's been prominent LGBT representation since.
e: No major superhero's been married since. Though, Hellblazer's still got an issue to go. Crossed fingers.

Writers confirmed Arthur and Mera are married when fans asked about Mera being called his "Girlfriend" in a solicit.

DadSupes if he counts since he's moving into the main position.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I feel like the Kid Flash design suffers from short hair. Seems to defeat the purpose of an open cowl.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Four Score posted:

but how else are they going to show off the lightning bolt shaved into his 'do that won't make it hard to figure out who Kid Flash is, nosir

You're right. I shouldn't have been so foolish!

But yeah I assume with stuff like that they are in civilian clothes at times, what with the civilian clothes mockups there. Maybe I'm too used to the Bart/Wally Kid Flash costumes with the flowing hair while running schtick being the point of the cowl.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

DC Rebirth books I'll be checking out.

Batman*
Detective Comics*
Nightwing*
Batgirl
Action Comics*
Superman*
Supergirl
Wonder Woman*
Trinity
Flash*
Super Sons
Blue Beetle

That's seven twice monthly titles and five monthly titles. I wish Titans was written by anyone else but Abnett because I really wanted to read something with Wally. But I'm not going to get drawn into another of his books based on hopes that this is the one where he finally gets his poo poo together. Other books like Green Arrow, Deathstroke by Priest, or even Cyborg (who I don't like at all but the writer gave a really interesting pitch for it at the Rebirth streaming event) I might have taken a look at but I have no interest in buying two of each of those titles a month.

Wally's going to be in The Flash so you don't have to worry about that if you hate Abnett so much.

It's not explicitly confirmed but it got the same warning Titans got(probably for the same reason) and Wally has a role to fit right into in the solicits as the Max Mercury to kidWally's Bart Allen. Nothing about Rebirth so far would affect The Flash enough to need that "READ REBIRTH FIRST" warning unless it was Wally showing up in the book.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DoctorDelaware posted:

I know nobody else cares about this, because you gave up on the Flash comic years ago, but I'm still going to say it.

Mirror Master was the best Rogue of Nu52.

Rogues Rebellion was a good book. It's always fun pitting The Rogues against villains who go way past their code that they can't abide by.

Though just as often the Rogues get chumped and captured by a bunch of no names, it's nice to remember the good stuff.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Someone needs to read Convergence!

No one needs to read Convergence.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

I wish OG Wally was on the Teen Titans, because I don't care about most of the Old Titans roster except Roy and maybe Donna, but the TT roster seems more interesting to me. But I am a Wally guy so I am gonna read Titans anyway.

Are we sure Wally will be in Flash? Is it like a Flash Family book?

Well it's gonna have dozens of speedsters in it so if there's a way to introduce flash family members that's part of it.

It's not confirmed that Wally is in The Flash but it's heavily implied by the same spoiler warning Titans got, saying you should read DC Universe Rebirth first and newWally has a mysterious mentor who isn't Barry. Who else is gonna give him his old Kid Flash costume?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Actually, that's a good question - do you think OG Wally will use some other name? If Barry is Flash and kid Barry is Kid Flash?

Booth's twitter says he's just going by Flash. It worked fine for, what, 15 years during Wally's run so I don't see why it'd be a problem now.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 26, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

John Yossarian posted:

It would be cool if Wally's mentor is Max Mercury. Did he even show up in the new 52?

None of the Flash family have shown up aside from Barry and Iris in the New 52. Very explicitly for the same reason practically none of them showed up after Flash Rebirth -- not being Barry Allen was a sin for the last 7 years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I understand trying to elevate Cyborg to the Justice League as both a Titans graduation thing and to make the League more diverse, but he really isn't that interesting as a character. There's a pretty good article about it here. I'm not sure I agree with all of his points but there's some relevant stuff in there regardless.

The part where he starts talking about how it's okay for Cyborg to be around Wonder Woman because he doesn't have a penis was enough for me. Jesus Christ that is some absurd and grotesque reaching.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Dan Abnett is exclusive for DC now. So good news for Marvel.

You say that but his GotG run was great and his current Herc run was also pretty good, though probably over and done at this point.

You talk about him like he's Lobdell when he's had many more fine or good books than bad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

His Guardians run was years ago and when he was with Lanning. Back when he was good. His Herc was terrible. I liked the first issue and then it just turned bad really fast. His work on Guardians the last couple years has been terrible and he wrote one of the worst Secret Wars tie-ins as well. Maybe his DC work is magically better somehow but I've heard Earth 2 and Titans Hunt are really bad so I doubt it.

I haven't read Earth 2(clusterfuck that it's been) but his Aquaman was also good (if you can get past Brett Booth art, another problem with Titans really). I feel you on Titans Hunt but I'm pretty sure it got hijacked partway through. It was supposed to be 12 issues and my guess was the original idea was for it to be the Wally West return book (lots of hints early on that then stopped immediately before the super obvious Pre-Rebirth teaser) only for Wally to get his own big event for his return. It's like they stretched out this 6 issue intro/setup arc into this decompressed 8 issue thing that suffered for it.

I thought the characters and and narration were good, it just progressed slowly. But maybe I'm being too generous and he doesn't work well without Lanning. I just can't remember an Abnett book I've read that I actively disliked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

I've not heard of anyone even reading his Aquaman or He-Man books. Maybe his true talent lies in writing about blonde guys that most people think are really lame. Maybe DC will put him on a revived Triumph comic.

The best thing about his Aquaman book is Aquaman and Mera being an adorable couple, which I wasn't expecting out of it but I'm glad I read it in spite of the art. But my favorite DC cape stuff ever was Waid's Flash so maybe I have a weak point for that kind of silly power of love stuff.