Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SeannieDarko posted:

We're probably enemies too cuz I hate Cyborg and his being in the League at the expense of Martian Manhunter. He's a Titan dammit!

Actually, given the rosters, he'd be a Teen Titan.

However, it's still bizarre to me that they decided what we need in 2016 is a Silver Age Titans roster. Like, if Damian's team was all new legacy heroes like the gay Aqualad and black Wally and, like, Natasha Irons Steel or something, and then Nightwing was leading the New Teen Titans roster, I'd get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I'm doing more reading on Rebirth since my knowledge of the DC Universe is fragmented at best. Why do we have two Teen Titans books both led by Bat Kids and why are neither of them led by Tim Drake? Which book will he be in? Is he back to being Robin while Damian is leading the Teen Titans? How is Nightwing not Secret Agent Man anymore again?That last one I may have already been told.

They're technically not both TEEN Titans, plus it's DC, and they'll never stop trying to make you care about Silver Age books you've never read, but one guy in the editorial office really loves.
Tim is still Red Robin, in a less silly outfit, and will be in Detective Comics, as part of a team of rookie Bat-heroes led by Batman and Batwoman.
Damian is still Robin.
Nightwing, I believe, finished his secret agent double-agent job, and the evil spy group collapsed, but they used their secret spy tech to erase his identity from people's minds, so he can be Nightwing again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RusteJuxx posted:

Rebirth question:
Is there going to be a JSA ongoing out of this? I don't see mention of it anywhere, but maybe I missed it.

No mention of a JSA or Legion book, which is weird when like 8 pages of the one-shot were devoted to setting up that those groups exist (except the LoSH already existed, considering they had 2 ongoings at the start of the Nu52, right?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I forget, does 'Tec always outsell Batman or is it that Action outdoes Superman?

Also, for gently caress's sake, DC, if you actually want to pretend like the Trinity all matter equally, launch a print Sensation Comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Novices that include Stephanie Brown.

NO

NO

We are not going back to the Tim Drake/Stephanie Brown drama well. I just got over the PTSD from the Convergence mini.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, the whole book is full of it. The classic 9 panel layout in the opening is right out of the Dr Manhattan origin issue. And as I said, I really liked the final segment for how closely it mimicked Gibbons & co.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bizarro and Batman Beyond I'm not even sure why they bothered releasing. It's like... yeah, that's the Beyond suit?

On another subject, as the only person reading JL 3001 in the forum, can I ask which book Giffen's writing in the Rebirth lineup, because it's likely the only chance of paying off the cliffhanger he and JMdM pulled in that book's final issue.

The 3001 Flash and Batgirl are sent back to 2016 by the main villain, who is revealed to be the Flash's mother.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 28, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Giffen's doing Blue Beetle with JL3001 artist Scott Kollins and the entire original JL3000 team is doing Scooby Apocalypse.

I'm reading JL3K1. I haven't got to the latest issue, but I'm pretty into their Flash returning.

I loved the sequence where she's lamenting how they can't possibly beat the robot army because they don't know how they work, and would need to be able to examine every inch of them while not being in range for more than a moment in order to figure it out... and suddenly :aaa:

"...good thing I'm the Flash... the fastest woman alive!"

Hell, the final line up was actually fairly neat in how it re-subverted the original gimmick. The revived JL3K league all had crappier versions of their powers, like a knockoff of the original, but by the end you have the real Supergirl, a Batgirl who was every bit as smart and resourceful as Bruce Wayne (and as smug and bratty as Damian Wayne) and a Flash who seemed to be getting more powerful with every issue, deliberately.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, it's really obvious that DC's trying to make Super-Man into Spider-Man. Only, you know, literally over a decade after Invincible made that idea novel. But jeez, everything about that character design reads like DC critically misunderstanding why Spider-Man works as a hero, and just sharing the most surface level similarities (Red suit! Teen who gets his powers one day out of the blue and has to grapple with getting control of them! Outsider! Hyphenated superhero name!) without actually getting why Peter Parker works.

Also they seem determined to wreck their two actual good attempts at a Spider-Man in the last 20 years: Blue Beetle (Jaime) and Batman Beyond (Terry's whole thing is "WHAT IF SPIDER-MAN.... WAS BATMAN!?")

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's amusing to imagine him giving the same rant when Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Or John Stewart.

Oh, god, this is what a HEAT member sounds like, isn't it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be aware that it does minorly cross over into Batgirl as well. (More that the Academy is important to a running plot in Batgirl than the other way round)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the Lumberjanes thing still a mini? Because the synopsis on Comixology makes it sound a lot like a one-shot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Big 2 threshold I've always seen was below 20k was basically living on borrowed time. 30k and critical buzz would normally be OK. 50 would be considered a breakout hit, especially if it wasn't a title featuring an existing 'Name'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Would the logic not just be 'Earth is where all the poo poo starts, best to have a whole bunch of space cops there to deal with it'?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I like how they just keep getting more and more desperate in their attempts to make Calendar Man a ~SERIOUS VILLAIN~

Which they did this time by going "WHAT IF HE WAS A SNAKE BUT ALSO DOCTOR WHO?!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Well if D_T hates him then he's probably at least pretty good.

I think he wrote the really fun 'Diana at the boardwalk' story that Noelle Stevenson drew for Sensation Comics, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Unkempt posted:

I just saw a TV advert for Rebirth. That's a new one.

They ran a few for the New 52 as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Dan didn't even pretend to answer the first question. At least the non-answer to the second pays lip-service by going "Yes but no"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:( Aw, I was hoping Metamorpho would be good. The old Haney/Fradon stuff is really kitschy and fun and I even liked fake Metamorpho from Winick's Outsiders.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So he's good in the same way Doom is over at Marvel?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

lotus circle posted:

It's here now!

It looks like Rucka is running with the whole "changing histories" thing Rebirth #1 introduced.

That's called playing the hand you're dealt, and not just mulliganing until you get the cards you think you should've gotten in the first place.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

When Dr. Manhattan was siphoning 10 years of time and love and hope from the DCU, he liked what was happening to Batman and the earthbound Green Lanterns (but not Alan Scott) and wanted to see how it played out so he only took the time but NOT their lives from them even though it doesn't make much sense. Come on, why is this so hard to understand???

See, this is why Geoff should've made it Superboy Prime.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Dan Didio: "They have Star Wars. We have Wacky Raceland."

WB Exec: "Why haven't you asked if you could do Harry Potter comics?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

People are kind of understating how DCYou "didn't do that well in singles" or "didn't sell great" or whatever. For better or worse, when there are sales like this on your launch titles that don't directly involve Batmans:

code:
Title			1st 	6th 	Drop
Starfire		46,298	27,941	-40%
Cyborg			45,187	18,975	-58%
GL Lost Army		42,945	20,972	-51%
Earth 2 Society		41,002	21,948	-46%
Black Canary		40,786	21,666	-47%
Constantine 		38,080	19,328	-49%
Martian Manhunter	36,581	17,038	-53%
Doctor Fate		35,962	13,090	-64%
Bizarro			35,010	12,202	-65%
Bat Mite		34,731	10,961	-68%
Doomed			32,259	7,113	-78%
Midnighter		32,200	12,186	-62%
All Star Section 8	31,099	8,995	-71%
Omega Men		30,158	9,709	-68%
Prez			28,309	7,716	-73%
You'd be hard pressed to see any company not wanting to go another direction. And yeah, drops of 40-50% are not unheard of, but there are a lot of drops over 50 here, and very few softer plummets.

God that Prez number is depressing from a quality-to-sales standpoint.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I have to agree with Teenage Fansub.

It seems like, other than Green Arrow Rebirth which was a fantastic issue, the rest of these Rebirth issues are just a messy exercise in dumping some plot and doing some continuity house keeping so that they can go on to do the rest of their stories. Flash Rebirth was a massive a clusterfuck and it's a shame that Venditti's run has apparently done as much as damage as it has because I could barely make sense of this going straight from Manapul and Buccellato's run to this issue. Oh and I'm surprised the colouring looked pretty amateurish since I'm fairly sure Ivan Plascencia does the colour for Constantine the Hellblazer which has been gorgeous up until now.

I really hope Rucka's run isn't just going to throw out Azzarello's run though Ares' helmet getting crushed isn't a good sign.

Honestly, there's not really a good way to keep Azzarello's drastic departure with the Amazons AND have the kind of stuff you'd hire Rucka to do with Wonder Woman. One of them has to go, and as they've hired Rucka, the whole 'things keep shifting' explanation is likely the best you'll get.

I'm actually curious if either of you read Wonder Woman before the New 52. It strikes me as a similar situation to the colouring debate going on in the chat thread. If you've never seen the original colouring, in some cases the new stuff actually looks better, but if you HAVE seen the old stuff, it feels wrong and brutal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That kind of one character show is always a tricky thing. Do you have the character actually talk to themselves? Do it all internal monologue? (I only just got around to reading the full issue) I actually think Rucka did an admirable job leaving the Azzarello run open and valid for those that liked it. It didn't feel like he was unduly weighting the other versions. And there was some nice use of the negative space in the gutters. I'd agree that there could maybe have been a better setting than Diana moping in a hotel room, but as a mission statement, I don't think it was too wordy, mostly because while the theme is simple, the context is actually quite complicated and if you're assuming (rightly, given the pre-orders and our own Toxxupation's admission) that this is someone's first Wonder Woman comic, they NEED a lot of this info to make sense of what's happening.

At least it wasn't a monologue of "As you know, your mother, the queen..." type stuff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

Come on, you know he's totally right though.

I really liked Wonder Woman and this is my first issue of it, I know nothing about the Azarello run. How exactly was this making GBS threads all over it?

It really wasn't. It present all of her backstories as conflicting and confusing yet seeming equally valid to her, and for someone that Rucka's positioned as the Goddess of Truth in the past, that's inherently disturbing. The only thing I can see that it utterly dropped was the "Amazons are child-murdering rapists" which... uh... anyone who isn't named Brian Azzarello would immediately have dropped anyway.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 8, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

What are the great non-Heart of Ice Mr. Freeze stories? His appearance in Batman Beyond?

Believe it or not, all of his appearances in the Arkham video games are really good. The DLC ones for Origins and Knight are especially good and the latter actually gives his and Nora's story an appropriately bittersweet end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

As a superhero? Totally. By "bad" I mean that's she's practically nonexistent and a charisma-less void in comparison to bad superheroes like, say, Red Hood or Hal Jordan or N52 Starfire, who are just total pricks. I think Stephanie Brown, on-again/off-again girlfriend of Tim Drake who's the daughter of a super-criminal trying to redeem her tarnished family legacy, she makes a good counterpoint to Tim. Their personalities mesh in a way that their romance makes sense. It's just the instant she puts on her totally generic costume she fades totally and completely into the background.

Spoiler is a hero that just doesn't work. She seems to have no direction or distinguishing features, down to her costume being a ninja outfit with a hood and her totally nonsensical name. She's ostensibly a part of the Bat-Family but often gets called up to help behind people like Black Canary or Huntress. As aforementioned Bluebird was recently introduced and already a more compelling character then Spoiler.

I feel like she needs a ground-up redesign as a superhero. New costume, new abilities- I'd probably make her more of a detective-type hero, which would lean even more heavily into "Tim Drake but a girl", but on the other hand there are no women in the Bat-Family who really serve that role currently. If you view Batman as the model which his extended family takes bits or pieces of- his amazing deductive skills and fighting prowess and technological capabilities and endless budget and so on - we haven't really had a female Bat-character who's really good at the detective stuff, which Spoiler could fill.

I dunno. She just needs a change, and fast, because man is Stephanie Brown wasted in that go-nowhere role.

Her current costume IS the redesign. It's much less cartoony than the original and takes elements from the well-received pre-N52 run where she was Batgirl (which, add to your gigantic convoluted list, because it's exactly the stuff you like. It's like a DC version of, say, Silk)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A Dark Trinity is a fairly rote but still cool concept, but the problem is they shouldn't be in their own title. They should be the VILLAINS for the actual Trinity book. Jason and Bizarro have literally been villains, and Artemis' claim to fame was being the Azrael to Diana's Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I never said Artemis was bad, but she was absolutely the edgy, violent Wonder Woman replacement from the 90s, just like Azrael was for Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

VV "THIS BEARD IS YOU, LEX LUTHOR!! RAAARGH!"

"YAHHHHH I'M SUPERMAN! SEE! SUPERMAN HAS HAIR ON HIS HEAD BUT NOT ON HIS CHIN!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Flintstones looks super loving interesting.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/06/14/review-dc-comics-new-version-of-the-flintstones-is-more-mad-men-than-mad-max/
Sounds like it'll be an even bleaker social commentary couched in a funny book than he did in Prez.

Fred Flintstone by way of Don Draper...? gently caress it, I'm in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I'd completely forgotten about this book, are we also getting a Jetsons revamp?

Not yet. This, the Scooby-Doo post-apocalypse one, the Wacky Races-meets-Barb Wire thing, and Jeff Parker's Space Ghost/Birdman/Jonny Quest team-up are the only ones so far. But if Flintstones sells, I imagine Jetsons wouldn't be far behind.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I would like Green Lanterns more if they wrote their weaknesses/quirks with any level of nuance beyond just saying that they have them. So we get Simon Baz constantly talking how he's a former criminal and was imprisoned wrongly as a terrorist, but knowingly was transporting a car bomb or something, or I dunno what having a meeting with the authorities and going "HOW DARE THEY PROFILE ME" and it all comes off as the most obvious and dullest contemporary criticism as character. Or Jessica's weird agoraphobia/social anxiety manifesting as reading her boring interior dialog about how she hates public spaces and has a hard time dealing with other people as her sister tells her that in order to be her roommate she's gonna have to learn how to deal with other people and go out in public. It's all very obvious and people just walking around stating their themes.

Wait... I thought Johns wasn't writing comics for a while?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

On the one hand: DC could use some recap pages, badly, to straighten out characters' backstories, at least at the start of a each arc to set some continuity rules and prop up the newbies.

On the other hand: Johns used to start every comic with "Hey there. My name is ___________. But some people call me The ____________. Supposed to be the good guy. Save the world. But today, it's not that simple."

I thought he did that because he was copying Mark Waid? Didn't Waid come up with the "My name is Wally West... {situation summary} Good thing I'm The Flash, the fastest man alive..." shtick?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Also we're getting a Raven mini by Marv Wolfman? Did we know this already?

And good GOD DC, NO-ONE cares about your stupid Future's End timeline, just reboot Batman Beyond and pretend the last run never happened!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Then he's not a professional anything, is he?

Pro-wrestling, at the level this dude probably does it, is basically something you do and hope the guy running the show gives you a sandwich after your match.
Like a lot of entertainment forms, you have to be REALLY good to make a living at an indie level, or be decent and know the right people to get your foot in at the mainstream brands.

I have not seen this man wrestle, but I suspect he may not be that good. And if he knew someone, he wouldn't be making this film.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Jason Todd gets a lot of poo poo but James Gordon, Jr. might legit be the worst Batman-adjacent character ever.

I finished reading the Batgirl of Burnside run up to Endgame and although I love the art, the totally changed canon while initially jarring is pretty interesting, and Batgirl's supporting cast is pretty cool, the absolutely cloying writing and #teens #Millenials #just2015things-ness of the book is really offputting. It feels like a message in a bottle comic that's already eye-rollingly dated barely a year since it came out and will only get worse the further it goes on. Although there are a lot of elements that are themselves interesting, it just feels like it's trying too goddamn hard to be current and my fave bae in a way that's kind of unnerving.

After getting Batgirl of Burnside talked up and raved about forever I was sorta expecting some amazing wondrous thing and it's just too cute and self-satisfied to be like this all-time classic over a good but already sort of dated comic.

On one level you're right, but I said it at the time and I'll say it again, if you want comics to appeal to young people and especially young women, you go to where they are. It's why I roll my eyes when people bitch about Marguerite Bennet using tumblr stuff in her books. The audience that is being directly courted is EXACTLY the type of people who use hashtags in real life and are always on tumblr, Instagram and Snapchat and use Tinder for hookups.

I'll also say it eases back a smidge on those elements in the later issues because it's already established a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

I did not. Because once again, I am definitely not an adult male who enjoys Puffy AmiYumi.

How much of it did you not watch?