Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

What did you like about it

I mean for one, Mann and Morey make a very good looking book, that's just as deft in the big moments as it is in the small details (those 9-grid pages show a level of confidence from a creative team that you usually only see in long-time collaborations, like Morrison and Quitely, Fraction and Aja or Bendis and anyone in his stable of collaborators). But for another, I think it gets the characters right and it puts those in a complicated situation that raises interesting questions both about them and about our relationship as readers to them. We can talk about specifics (for instance I think the fight scene in #2 works because it has Harley Quinn exploiting Wonder Woman's compassion to catch the trinity off-guard, and exploting Batman's denial about being a total control freak to make her getaway), but that's the thrust of my argument.

(So as to paint a full picture: I also think it's being true to Booster Gold to return him to his characterization as a well-meaning jock getting in way over his head.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Android Blues posted:

It's kind of dumb for multiple reasons (okay, kryptonite would work on Superman, but why isn't Wonder Woman immediately catching her once she lets go of Bruce?), chief among them being the fact that as mentioned, Harley could just use the lasso to prove her own innocence but instead she decides to fight three superheroes while singing nonsense. King's characterisation of Harley is not great, much as in the first issue.

I mean, all she wanted was to put them on the trail of Booster Gold and bounce to go mourn in peace.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So far, as far as any questions that are brought up about living characters like Superman or Wonder Woman, King hasn't asked any interesting questions or brought up any new relationship to the readers. "AM I CLARK OR SUPERMAN" is not just the most trite psychological questions you could introduce to Superman, it is the most overused and hackneyed question. It was the worst part of the Kill Bill franchise put on a nine panel grid, pretending to be deep like it was back then. If that the standard for complicated and interesting then I guess Lobdell's Superman was great because even his stupid rear end was capable of bringing up that grade school question. This swings back around to the same thing with Batman's confessional: Going "BATMAN TRAINS HIS OWN CHILD SOLDIERS AND THAT IS BAD AND HE FEELS BAD ABOUT IT" is where Batman was at for years after Jason's death and there's nowhere left to go with that character beat.

I feel like that's missing the forest for the trees. You're right in saying that the questions you bring up are nothing new, even if I would argue that there's a difference between Kill Bill's "Clark Kent is actually the mask" thesis and Heroes In Crisis saying "Both Clark Kent and Superman are masks". However, there's a bigger question there of "What happens when someone/the world/readers find out and have to deal with their heroes asking themselves those kinds of questions because they're just people, just as hosed up and just as lost as anyone else out there, but worse because they punch evil in the jaw on the regular?", which I think is, if not interesting, at the very least novel. And that's not even going into the mystery aspect of it, which I think is fun because mysteries are fun, and trying to guess where things are going is fun.

At the risk of sounding bugfuck insane, I also see this as Tom King self-reflecting and examining what it means to make books where super-heroes are sad and hosed up, and as a fan of his it's interesting to see him going in this direction.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Android Blues posted:

I actually liked that Superman page because you can see he has an issue with the very idea of therapy, not out of closed-mindedness, but just because he always has to be on and if he lets his guard down and questions himself, he risks shirking his role as a symbol to the world.

god I love how that's communicated by the fact the page ends just as he's about to do the standard Superman reveal

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

I also found it a bit stupid of how Penguin ordered the murder suicide. It felt a bit out of character and something King threw in there to show "this isn't your dad's penguin" or some such poo poo. Kind of like how all of Batman's villains can't be silly anymore but ultra serious violent criminals.

I feel like he just wanted to tell Batman he was on the up-and-up and that's the only way he knew how because he's the Penguin.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

I have no idea how DC looked at how everyone reacted at NaziCaptainAmerica Event! Super Depression and Misery as opposed to Rebirth and went "iron's hot folks". HiC sounds like pure hell, and the shittest writers are heading their big books.

people love the poo poo out of Mister Miracle

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah Batman Annual was super good. Reading it was like one big long breath of fresh air. That was also kinda sad. And intense. But still.

So I gave Dan Abnett the...fourth?...try now that My Love Kyle Rayner is apparently a regular on Titans. It actually ain't a bad book at the moment; the team is treated as a serious and competent team, and their mission is given a lot of gravitas as well. I'm probably gonna regret it, but for now I'll...cautiously...give it another go.

yeah starting at #23 Titans trades the generic superhero melodrama for a more Young Adult by way of Warren Ellis type of team book and it's just really fun to read, like with Aquaman, Abnett used the opportunity of a relaunch to figure out a cool new angle on the characters, and that's paid off, because it's the first time maybe ever that I've enjoyed Donna Troy

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Who did they kill in the issue? It is stated The Ray and Phantom Lady are toast in the preview I saw.

Starting the book by killing all the Freedom Fighters seems like a mistake.

Basically the book is about a team in 2018 picking up where the 1963 Freedom Fighters left off

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like that wouldn't change the problem of it very much being a pulp story set in an alternate earth where part of the fun is seeing how things changed. It's a comic you read for the catharsis of seeing nazis burn to death after they confiscate a kid's baseball, because baseball was America's pastime. If it has something to say about our troubled hosed up times, it's that nazis are monstrous and so it's cool when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not sure we're meant to take this as gospel on this being what the actual canonical Batman thinks. My take on it is that it's Batgirl's own insecurities that she's putting on Batman because it's the DC Universe and a lot of people can pin a lot of their problems on Batman, on account of he's made himself be "on" all the time and that makes him kind of a dick. It's a moment of reflection, and you can tell because there's mirrors everywhere.