Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I don't know if I should just lower my expectations for it, but I am still not feeling King's Batman. It's not bad, I'd totally be down for trade waiting on it, but compared to Vision and Grayson, it just doesn't feel like "I need to read this as it comes out" good. I'll probably give it one more shot.

Green Arrow on the other hand I'm loving. Nothing much happened and Ollie losing his company/money feels like it happens every other week but as far as "setting up the next arc" issues go it worked fine and it continues to give side/supporting characters stuff to do despite being a solo book.

Not a bad week for DC for me. Flinstones and Green Arrow were great, Justice League was all good, Batman was okay, and only Green Lanterns had me disappointed.

(Didn't read Superman but honestly as well written as I'm sure it is, I'm just not that interested in Superdad. I'm not that interested in Super anything.)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

For some reason, finding out Watchmen originally came out in single issues with delays and such was a huge surprise and got me off of calling everything a Graphic Novel.

It was just a comic book :eek:

Huh I actually never knew that. I had always thought of it as The Watchmen collectively, not like Vol 1 of Moore's run or the Watchmen Omnibus or anything like that, just The Watchmen so I had assumed it had just come out like that, no weekly Watchmen #1-12 or however many there were.

Learning that's kinda weird :stare:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

:psypop: What have our schools been teaching, if not that Watchmen was a 12-issue limited series with delays that, though now would be considered nothingburgers, got people catty as poo poo at the time?

The cover of each issue was also its first panel.

All American schools teach kids is the Civil War, America punching Hitler, and then maybe your teacher may start rambling about the next Civil War and how they'll succeed where the first one failed. American history classes have a really biased view of history.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

Foreign cultures are problematic. Everyone should just be eating pizza slices.

But what style of pizza? New York? Chicago? St Louis? This will heavily affect if your opinion is most wrong or Correct Thought.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

I'm going to lay it all on the line and say Chicago is the way to go.

You have chosen.... wisely. (although pizza would cease to be street food as walking and eating pizza would be impossible without leaving a trail of tomato sauce)

Madkal posted:

Whatever is the most generic/least offensive version there is, but if we are being honest it should be thin crust. Only the worst in humanity eat thick crust.

This answer is also acceptable. Death to thick crust scum. (unless it's cheese stuffed, then it's still bad but at least understandable)

Oh, and DC comics are pretty cool I guess. Preview makes new Supes look like a bit of a dick but I'll still at least give it an issue.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

pierogi are not horrible and PA is where I first had pierogi therefore you are wrong and bad and dumb.

Pierogi are thanks to Slav ingenuity. No need for Pennsylvania, Chicago has plenty of Slavs with plenty of pierogi.

Squizzle posted:

wtf franchise crap are you all talking

Just go to any old local place here.

I have never had pizza here and I turned out okay.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I can enjoy a story about an rear end in a top hat. I do not think the preview for New Super-Man gives me the feeling he'll be the kinda of rear end in a top hat I would find enjoyable. I will still read at least the first two issues to see though.

These are my DC Comics opinions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Rebirth books are handling characters speaking other languages very well. I wonder if this is a company-wide decree or what.

I think ever since they had an issue of Superman/Wonder Woman where some dudes were speaking "Pakistanian", DC has been better than usual about their foreign language speaking. It's probably coincidence more than what caused them to do better with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if editorial payed mote attention in general to how characters speaking other languages was handled.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I never read TKJ myself but my impression was that people who disliked Oracle mostly just disliked how the thing that created the character was a story about Barbra being sexually assaulted and nearly murdered, and then the story focuses on how this makes Batman and Gordon feel. I've never really seen anyone who just hated Oracle as a character.

(Again; never read TKJ, know only the general overview of the story, could totally be wrong on any of this)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah this is spot on. DC apparently has trouble distinguishing between those two things though.

Well then, that's pretty disappointing. In fairness if they insist on TKJ being part of main DC cannon, then there's not really much they can do other than rewrite TKJ from Barbra's perspective but this late it'd just be "here's a book about Barbra being traumatized a whole bunch, you're welcome!". I guess there's the option to downplay and ignore TKJ as much as possible going forward, but I somehow don't see DC doing that.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Huh I played all of Arkham Knight and remember there was a scene reenacting TKJ but I didn't notice if they had her get molested or just shot.

Yeah changing it to her just being shot without the sexual assault part would actually work (or it would at least be noticeably less bad).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I can't wait until V is folded into the DCU.

It's very fortunate for Moore/everyone reading DC that the big iconic character of the story is explicitly dead at the end and the whole story is pointless if you try to write an ending where he's not.

... But part of me can't help but wonder "but would that really stop anyone if someone really decided they wanted V to be in the DCU?"

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

lotus circle posted:

My opinion on TKJ is that it's a dark piece of DC's history in a lot of ways and we shouldn't try to retcon it away because we don't like it. I don't like what happened in it, but the fact is it happened. It's still DC's highest selling graphic novel, right up there with books like Watchmen and V for Vendetta. DC insists on keeping it continuity despite Alan Moore's original intent to make it a standalone, so that's that. Oracle existed for over 20 years, and while she wasn't a direct product of TKJ, her creation would have never occurred if it didn't happen. Ostrander would never have a reason to create Barbara as Oracle for Suicide Squad had she not been crippled.

I don't really think anyone disagrees with your overall thesis that "without TKJ you lose Oracle, and losing Oracle would suck too much to do that", but retconning specific elements out of a story while leaving the overall story intact is a pretty routine thing for comics. Sure, it's not always the best route to retcon problematic things, especially when they're far off in the past, but since DC's doing the whole reconciling past cannon and present day cannon thing right now and there's a TKJ movie coming out, it kinda would make sense for DC to think about how to keep TKJ part of the DCU while cleaning up the parts that are the most problematic about it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't the V comic pretty different from the movie version people actually care about?

It has been a while since I've seen either but iirc the comic much more dystopian; the fascists are democratically elected and the book makes more of a deal out of the fascists ruling through the general acceptance of the British people, and V is more of an anarchist terrorist than a liberal revolutionary,

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I think my biggest problem with TKJ is how the animated movies are using it. Batgirl hasn't been in the animated films other than showing up and saying nothing at the end of Bad Blood. The next big film is going to be The Killing Joke. So not only will it be a story where Barbra goes through a whole bunch of physical and mental trauma so that Batman and Gordon can be sad about it, it's also going to be the Barbra Gordon origin story for the films.

I suppose you could say the animated movies are for comics fans so we know who Barbra is and this presumably isn't the viewers' first introduction to Barbra Gordon, but I still feel like compared to how the other Bat family members were introduced to the DC animated universe, Barbra's getting the worst introduction behind Batwoman (where her backstory is changed slightly to make her a lot less competent).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Travis343 posted:

The animated movies aren't really a new DC Animated Universe. They're rough adaptations of stories from the comics, some are in continuity with each other, some aren't. Year One, DKR, and now TKJ are probably just there because they're popular enough comics.

True, I guess I didn't really mean introduction into the animated film continuity so much as it's the first animated film to use the character and it's TKJ.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Even with Cho telling his side of the story with no word at all from Rucka, this sounds like Cho and Rucka were promised different things when they came onboard, those promised conflicted, the writer's promises won out over the variant cover artist. Doesn't sound like Rucka and PC gone wild, just that DC promised both guys the same final call on variant covers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

lotus circle posted:

So yeah, no surprise they gave Rucka so much control over how his Wonder Woman comic was presented including variants. And frankly Cho has made a name for himself off controversy with those sketch "Outrage" variant covers, and it is no surprise that Rucka is not a fan of his when he's such an rear end.

Yeah, if what Cho says is true then it's bad that DC promised both guys creative control over the variant covers while knowing they were going to ultimately give Rucka control, but between making himself the "Outrage!" guy and being surprised DC took sides with the well known writer over the variant cover artist, I think Cho just doesn't understand the business he's in. DC was changing Wonder Woman's editor just so Rucka would come write her. They weren't about to risk losing him to please a variant cover artist with a reputation for being a giant crybaby who is obsessed with pissing off "SJWs", especially not for Wonder Woman. You can't have it both ways where you're the guy who does what he wants, pissing off the tumblrs, and laughs at the OUTRAGE! and then turn around and insist DC show you the same respect they show someone like Greg Rucka.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Even with Priest, though I can't say I've read anything good by him in years, I can't imagine there being any reason I would want to read a Deathstroke twice a month. Even if I wanted to check it out the twice a month thing kinda kills my interest in some of the fringe books.

This is basically my feeling. Like if Priest ends up basically just recreating Deathstroke and making into some totally different far more interesting character I might bite, but it sounds like this is still fundamentally Deathstroke, and I fundamentally have no interest in reading Deathrstoke 2 times a month.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

ok

how about batgirl doing the no pants dance with batman in the killing joke movie? she takes charge.

:stare: is there any context to this that makes it anything less than "weapons-grade awful", or has the TKJ movie found new ways to disappoint me?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

In hindsight, I'm not sure what context I could have expected that would make me go "Oh yeah, given that, Batman and Batgirl loving makes perfect sense!" so I probably could have guessed the answer to my question.

Goddamn it DC.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

Is injustice good? It's on the dcbogo sale and I have no idea if it's worth it.

Any of the books written by Tom Taylor are good. Anything written by Brian Buccellato (takes over half way through Year 3) is unremarkable and not worth reading imho.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah I don't think I'd be able to read an entire 20+ page book of that art. Not the worst art, but I'd need to hear goons going nuts for the book before I'd read an entire book of that artwork.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's something weird and neat. Next Earth 2 Society has it's first eight pages drawn by Tony Harris (Starman, Ex Machina.)
http://www.freaksugar.com/exclusive-preview-earth-2-society-15/

This guy can draw Ultrahumanite, and that's about it. Last panel of the first page is channeling some serious Dillon-face.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Is anyone still reading Green Lanterns, or did everyone in the DC thread who was reading it drop it on 3 simultaneously? I remember a lot of people (myself included) saying that they were dropping it after it became clear it wasn't going anywhere nor improving.

Read the last one out of pure inertia/forgot to take it off the list. I've fixed that problem for issue #5, although #6 sounds like it's finally the start of a new arc that should have been what the book started with; Jessica and Simon hanging out trying to get used to the idea of working together. Also, a new artist that would have to struggle to be worse than the current one. I might pick that one up if I hear good things.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

As a millennial, two characters sharing a name confuses the absolute gently caress out of me. Comics that came out when I was actually into reading comics never featured this before, especially not with a title shared between a straight white man hero, and another hero that is not a straight white man.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was he working on X-Men at the same time as the Flash and LSH?

You wouldn't get something like that happening today?

There's still cross company writers, but yeah the big important books either are exclusive writers or effectively exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I like how he just tosses his guns in the trash can for whatever kid/homeless person/etc to find and use for whatever. "Guns disgust me, they can be used to kill innocent people! I better get my guns out of my hands, and into the hands of whatever random person stumbles across them."