Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gaz-L posted:

Almost like Azzarello clear-cutting all of Marston (William and Elizabeth), Perez and Rucka's stuff? Why are his changes sacrosanct, but the stuff he decided to retcon is fine to lose?

None of his changes were even all that interesting. So being committed to them is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rhyno posted:

I'm actually really curious to see how this goes. One of the legit rumor dropping guys said he had it on good authority that the Mary Jane and daughter from Renew Your Vows were going to make it into the new Marvel Universe post SW alongside the original Mary Jane. So we'd then have two versions of MJ walking around and supposedly Peter would remember his history with both of them. It's one thing for heroes to meet other versions of themselves, that's old hat. How often have we had depictions of a normal person on the street having to deal with an evil twin?

I still can't figure out what the point of that would have been.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But he still would have been single! It's a weird half measure that makes no one happy. Which is DC as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I actually don't know which franchise that is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

It's pretty much the plot to the current Thor.

Oh, duh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Yeah while I think it'd kinda messed up Jason did it because he sucks at psychology, I'm still counting it as a win for Lobdell. If DC/Lobdell wanted to turn Red Hood into the garbageman of bad DC villains I'd be all for it.

The series would then end in a suicide.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sexual harassment is just a mistake, lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This reminds me of when a famous sports person is accused of rape and all the reporters talk about is the fact he was able to overcome adversity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It probably shouldn't :/

Yeah it's a little rude to sports people as they don't have that much power individually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Smother him in the crib Bruce!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I like how your first choice is the one guy we know it does work on. (And even if it hadn't happened on panel, why would Sinestro be immune to bullets? He's as much 'just a dude' as any of the human Lanterns without a ring.)

Because he is a bad guy so his ring doesn't fail at inappropriate times.

Though why people are arguing the merits of a dumb gimmick in the first place is beyond me.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He is a bad artist but still has a lot of influence.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's gonna get brought up every time Simon gets brought up because it's dumb and a bit offensive so is DC at its most DC.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Bucky did the exact same thing as cap

Bucky is a silly character yeah.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super bro may have great potential but if you have over 100 issues of stories without hitting anything interesting then I don't think it's gonna happen.

Also i don't think Superdad has had that many stories unless you are counting else worlds?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nope. Nothing particularly interesting that made Superman stand out. Some of those stories were fine, but I don't think they required SuperBro. But that is because SuperBro wasn't really a new character but more like a reset.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like fundamentally SuperBro and Superdad are the same character at different points in their lives.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The reason I feel this way is because they are, by the way. Which is why I find this reaction puzzling.

If you miss it that much just hope they release an adventure series that goes into the past adventures not covered before, boom done.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 10, 2016

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AA is also the only book listed were he felt semi distinct. But that was because Max only knows how to write like one character and it's basically him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alaois posted:

I don't know Heathen, maybe you'd like to share your hypothesis

It's political correctness gone mad stu.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unfortunately they were rarely discussed when they happened.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Congratulations for realizing they exist I guess?

Also Batgirl is a terrible example for trans characters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Batwoman and Constantine are the only two queer DC characters I can think of that are major characters. Are there any others? Becuase when it comes to queer characters, or minority characters in general, they tend to fall to the wayside pretty quickly.

Like I know they made Alan Scott gay in the N52. Now unless he was part of a team book that had an ongoing or had his own ongoing, that REALLY doesn't mean much if he's never used.

Edit: Even with Constantine, how often does it come up that he is Bi. The only reason I know he is is because his wikipedia page says so.

I actually JUST read Morrison's Animal Man run...holy poo poo gently caress You DC.

Alan is in Earth 2: Society, but he is some weird godlike being so his orientation is kind of nonexistent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Jason looks like he is frowning.

Fitting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

It had, like six pages that had anything to do with it. Unless you mean Pax Americana. That was 2014.

Easily the best Superman comic since rear end came out this last year.
e: And yeah, the mainline's been limping home at the same time as American Alien, but that just took the lead from Pak Action, which had previously been the best Superman comic since rear end.
I know there was a bad patch of Lobdell in there, but how you live through New Krypton and Grounded and end up down on Superman comics now, I dunno.

What is the comic? I have read most of Paks run which is good enough but not great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oooooooh

No.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

you're loving insane

did someone seriously just call American Alien the best superman comic since rear end

Hell its not even a good comic, unless you really love Max Landis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you read the comic you do as superman is basically Max, as that is the only protagonist he can write.

Man gently caress that lovely comic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

when i left the store today we probably had fifty left, we've sold through them like fuckin insanity

i mean Chronicle isn't totally dogshit in that it is an accurate depiction of what would happen if three kids got telekinesis and one of them was a victim of bullying, and the scenes of them loving around with their powers are great

Max wasn't the main writer on that right? Though yeah Chronicle was decent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Red Hood is just a lovely action hero knockoff that sometimes drags better characters down with him.

There I solved it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don't think they killed Ted for him either. I am confident that was just to sell Max's heel turn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

It's amusing to imagine him giving the same rant when Hal Jordan was replaced by Kyle Rayner. Or John Stewart.

Oh, god, this is what a HEAT member sounds like, isn't it?

You can just ask Johns at the next convention he attends if you want to know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Miles came years later.

Like five years later.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Run Arsenal, run!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Don't forget that Geoff Johns spent like a week with each creative team getting into the nitty gritty of the story and characters and coaching the writers on better storytelling. So that might have helped a lot too.

Did Green Arrow lose an arm.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

What's the new52 explanation for Kyle having a ring, if Parallax/Hal never happened?

It was a clean slate unless the writer didn't care so that story did happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Really GL and Batman were the two points of absolute confusion in the N52 change because Johns and Morrison still had stories going. Morrison just kept writing Inc. like nothing happened (except for everyone changing costumes and Steph Brown and Cass Cain vanishing) while Johns kept writing GL like nothing had happened while still referencing the past and just presumably just praying that he never hit a continuity error too noticeable.

Something something hypertime.

Also Death of Superman and No mans land happened.

Though Reign ofSuperman probably didn't happen? I dunno,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I remember them directly referencing the fight,and that statue they built in memory.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zero year was retconned to happen first, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They changed their collective minds about it multiple times.

I can accept this