Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

"Red Hood & The Outlaws," shipping in August, will be written by Scott Lobdell with art by Dexter Soy. Bizarro and Artemis, of the Amazons, will join Red Hood for what Geoff Johns called a "dark trinity."

:dance:

I'm going to miss Roy but the idea of Jason leading an edgy version of the Trinity is too good to pass up. With Lobdell at the helm and Soy on the art, they only need to ditch the STUPID Destro helmet and we're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Semper Fudge posted:

This Superman design is for the pre-reboot Superman, not the New 52 one.

So we're having two Supermen running around? That is a pretty interesting premise.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This is it, the final Solicit for Red Hood/Arsenal. :smith:

RED HOOD/ARSENAL #13
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by JOE BENNETT
Cover by ROBSON ROCHA
The Joker’s Daughter’s master plan is revealed! Are Jason and Roy strong enough take down both Duela and the Iron Rule? And what will it cost them? Find out in the shocking conclusion to RED HOOD/ ARSENAL!
On sale JUNE 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
But seriously, is going to be super lovely if N52 Superman doesn't get a proper closure.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

And unless Kyle's newfound hyper-religiousness and Spanish-fluency is some Nu52 New Guardians thing I missed, I'm gonna assume King just pulled it out of his butt.

That is something he lifted from Winnick's run (specifically from the Ion arc) where he revealed that Kyle's long lost father was a mexican guy working for the CIA.

That being said, the way King is handled this semi-retcon (New Guardians showed Kyle's father to be a mechanic with no allusion to his nationality) is slightly irritating. Kyle was never shown to be particularly religious and suddenly become like that just after recovering his mexican heritage implies King has a poor understanding of the mexican culture as whole. These days the only truly religious people around are people who grew during the 70's or earlier, as times changed religion stopped being a pillar for the average mexican. The exception to this of course, are those who were raised on small towns relatively isolated from the big cities where they haven't been so influenced by modern society.

Anyways, DC has released a colored version of the Superwoman cover and the filename identifies the character on it as Lois.

http://www.newsarama.com/28746-lois-lane-takes-flight-as-superwoman.html

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Squizzle posted:

DT, no bullshit, please keep offering commentary on anything and everything related to Mexican history and culture in comics.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Thanks for the insight, this is actually really interesting. (Both as someone with only a passing familiarity with the GL books, and even less familiarity with mexican history & culture.)

Glad you guys found my ramblings informative :v:

I don't mind when people takes artistic liberties when depicting Mexico or its culture but it really puts me in a bad mood when they try (openly or implicitly)to pass off those liberties as a proper depiction of my country and its people.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, I was trying to stop just short of saying "Not My Kyle Rayner," but...that's what it is, basically. This ain't any Kyle I know.

I think my break point is that they spent ten whole issues building and leading up to Kyle getting his ring back, and now that he has it back it's completely weaksauce and doesn't even do anything that simple blasters and blades can't do anyway. Even the greenest Lanterns haha get it should be able to wipe the floor with any army with any ring, and Kyle's got the most powerful of them all, but now he's all uuueehggh I gotta rest eughghggh this is so haaaaard. It's frustrating.

I bailed from the book after the third issue but it was hard to ignore how Kyle was so incompetent to allow most of the plot to happen. I mean, I understand as White Lantern Kyle is pretty OP but I'm sure there are better ways to handle it than making Kyle hog the idiot ball all the time.

Anyways the preview for RH/A 11 has been released and goddamn, Roy looks loving awesome here

I will miss Roy and Jason working together, they have such a great chemistry. At least the new outlaws will have a good artist. :unsmith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

In Titans he's an alcoholic again. I don't think Lobdell has implied he is in the Lobdell-verse but then again that hat is a sign something has gone horribly wrong in Roy's life.

Roy has been an alcoholic since the start of the N52.

In fact, Killer Croc is his AA sponsor

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

My bad; in Titans he's actively drinking again, in RHaA, he's a recovering alcoholic. I know he's been a alcoholic for a while now (apparently since the start of N52), but when I said "he's an alcoholic again" I meant he's drinking again in Titans (which is inaccurate since a recovering alcoholic can still be called "an alcoholic").

Yeah, Roy drinking again on Titan's Hunt is one of the things it killed my interest on the series. For five years Lobdell has written Roy as someone that while still struggling with the temptation still has enough will to remain sober.

On Titan's Hunt not only Roy's will is trashed, it also feels like Abnett just did it for cheap drama.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

Also this seems like a strange generalization to make when like half a million people turned out in Mexico City to see the Pope. Were they all isolated small towners? All old people? Mass hallucination? Hipsters in it for the Pope fame but not actually religious?

Old people is the majority of the population in the country for a significant margin. And while Francisco got a lot of people, is a lot less of what Juan Pablo II gathered back then.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

I guess that depends a lot on your definition of "old" is, 70% of the Mexican population is under 40. which is a lot younger than the United States (for example). Most of the photos of Francis's visit shows a lot of young (children, teens, young adults) at his events, though it's possible that that even more young people came out to see JPII during one of this visits. And Catholicism is on the decline in Mexico: only 83% of Mexicans identified as Catholic in 2010, as opposed to 96% fifty years ago.

All that said, I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Kyle Rayner, and I'm still not sure why it's that crazy for a Mexican American raised in California (where the rate of self-identified Catholics is way lower, like half of the half of people who identify as Christian period but comparatively more Latinos) to rekindle a spiritual belief in times of hardship. I've seen people do this because their grandparents died, never mind getting killed and Stockholm Syndromed and part of Intergalactic Genocide Part 492.

That was my point actually, these days the percentage of mexicans that actually practice the catholicisim is notieable lower and those who do practice it are older people rather than young adults or teens.

I was present on some visits of JPII and back then, the streets where he passed through were bursting at the seams with people expecting to catch at least a glimpse of the pope, something that didn't happened during Francis' visit.

On a country level, is true the younger poblation is more numerous but that poblation isn't spread evenly. According to the 2015 report from the National Institute of Stadistic and Geography Mexico City is the entity where the older poblation is more abundant.

And the issue isn't that Kyle suddenly had a religious epiphany but that it happened at the same time his mexican inheritance became a thing again. This gave me the distinctive feeling his religious awakening was because his mexican inheritancenot because he had a moment of reflexion that made him reevaluate his worldviews.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't mean to get into a demographic argument, since it's really besides the point. I don't feel like constructing charts, but your initial post said that no one under 40 was religious, certainly not in cities, and King doesn't understand Mexico because he thinks people are still religious. It really looks like
a) The vast majority (over 90% if you include Christian sects outside of Catholicism) of Mexican citizens identify as religious
b) The vast majority (70% overall, maybe less in DF where the median age is in the 30s) of Mexican citizens are under 40, i.e. born in the late 1970s or later

So the argument that believing that Catholicism/Christianity plays a significant role in Mexican culture (even amongst young and/or urban people) is a fundamental misunderstanding of Mexican culture is like me arguing that none of my friends are explicitly racist, therefore having a racist American character means that Brian K Vaughn doesn't understand America.

Also, Kyle has not (to my knowledge) ever even lived in Mexico according to King, so I really don't know what this is about.

I said people over 40 were the ones truly religious, that is the ones that pray go the church and the like. For the most part everyone else that identifies themselves as catholic is not practicing.

True, Kyle never lived on Mexico but also was never depicted as a devout catholic either and thus, his current characterization is basically the stereotype of all mexicans being religious.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Or him dealing with the insane poo poo he is dealing with right now/ in the past or having some connection with earth.

Well, an event big enough to change the worldview of the character should've been shown on screen don't you think?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The thing it bothers me the most about Superwoman is that pretty much we just saw the same idea on the Truth and the Super League arcs. It makes me feel like those two arcs were just a colossal waste of time and unecessarily shitted all over N52 Supes.

Assholes :argh:

Oh well, this is what I was expecting for

quote:

"Now the Red Hood plans to use his status as a villain to take down Gotham’s underworld from the inside. Joined by a fallen Amazon named Artemis, and a half-baked Superman clone named Bizarro, this dark trinity will soon discover that the line between hero and villain is difficult to discern…"

:frogon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Welp

I wonder how much of this was planned or if is a byproduct of Rebirth.

In any case, another solid issue where Roy is the star and we get to know more about him and what it makes him tick. This panel in particular was really sweet

I always liked their relationship so is great to see Lobdell hasn't forgotten about them :unsmith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Codependent Poster posted:

Boy that Red Hood sure is quite the hero, what with killing a mentally unstable teenage girl and all.

To be fair, he tried his best to help her. Goign so far to get her checked by a psychiatrist and she rejected his help.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

I mean, if Jason thought one session with a therapist was all it should have taken and if he thinks JD relapsing/rejecting psychiatric help is a failure on her part, I don't think Jason should be offering psychiatric help to anyone.

Was more Duela rubbing in his face that everything was a ruse actually.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

DrProsek posted:

Yeah I know, that's my point though; if he's so upset by the fact a person he considered mentally ill wasnt responding to treatment and was even hostile to getting treated, he probably shouldn't have involved himself in the mental health/treatment of a mentally ill stranger to begin with. My point was you can't say "to be fair he tried to help her" when he's so clearly lovely at it.

Well, he's more upset at having being played like a fiddle by Duela. He was projecting himself on her and was convinced she wanted to change.

Obviously he was reckless dealing with her but I guess this start the chain of actions that will give him the villian status he has after Rebirth.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm more amused at this chinese Superman full name being Kenji Kong. I cant stop thinking of Donkey Kong :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From Bleeding Cool

quote:

I understand that the DC Rebirth titles have a two year story arc that all books will be a part of, to varying degrees.

Masterminded by DC CCO Geoff Johns, it will begin with DC Universe: Rebirth #1 in May and conclude in the summer of 2018.

Geoff Johns has been having meetings with all the DC Rebirth writers to better align their work with this plan, and to weave plotlines in and out of all the titles.

There have also been examples when DC co-Publisher has laid out plans with a writer, only for Geoff Johns to scotch them all and tell the writer to ignore everything DiDio just said.

You know DC said they were bringing back Continuity? You don’t now the half of it. As long as everyone gets along, that is…

A Two year arc!? Ugh.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Despite Johns' tenure on GL being what got me back into comics, I don't trust the current Johns to be able to handle a long term storyline. Through the whole N52 he kept introducing plot elements here and there that were never really followed upon (that shadowy guy at the end of his Superman run, the whole thing with Vibe) or took directions widely different to their original setup (Forever Evil, Pandora, Grail) I want to think this is mainly to his focus being elsewhere but is undeniable he has making things up as he goes, so the idea of having this huge storyline spanning the whole line will impact negatively on every book to some degree.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This solicits are loving with my mind

quote:

ACTION COMICS #959
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by TYLER KIRKHAM
Covers by CLAY MANN
Variant covers by RYAN SOOK
Retailers: These issues will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“PATH TO DOOM” Chapter Three: Clark Kent gets caught in the crossfire as Doomsday crashes through the streets of Metropolis! As Lois struggles to keep young Jonathan out of the path of destruction, can former enemies Superman and Lex Luthor stop the monster that once destroyed the city and killed the Man of Steel—or does Luthor have other plans?

ACTION COMICS #960
Written by DAN JURGENS
Art by TYLER KIRKHAM
Covers by CLAY MANN
Variant covers by RYAN SOOK
Retailers: These issues will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
“PATH TO DOOM” Chapter Four: Wonder Woman joins the fight, but even her added might can’t slow down Doomsday’s rampage! As Superman comes face-to-face with the woman who once loved him, the Man of Tomorrow must also wrestle with the reappearance of Clark Kent.

:psyduck: The one who loved WW was SuperBro, not pre FP Superdad.

Also

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS: REBIRTH #1
Written by SCOTT LOBDELL
Art by DEXTER SOY
Cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and CAM SMITH
Variant cover by BENGAL
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
When a shocking encounter with Batman solidifies the Red Hood’s status as a villain, Jason Todd goes deep undercover to take down Gotham City’s criminal underworld from the inside. Along the way, Jason meets two unlikely allies: a disgraced Amazon warrior named Artemis and a half-baked Superman clone called Bizarro—and the DCU’s “Dark Trinity” is born!
On sale JULY 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

So I guess Jason is working for Bruce after all

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
God, Darkseid War is such a steaming pile of poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Die Laughing posted:

Did they not stick the landing? People seemed pretty keen on it.

A lot of the buildup went nowhere. Mobius is one shoted out of nowhere, Grail has gone full Mary Sue, aside of Batman nothing has really been done with the league as new gods (hell Hal vanished from the plot), the Syndicate is just standing looking "evil", Lex is pretty underwhelming and Barda was put in a bus.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Read the Green Lantern Darkseid War issue to find out where Hal is. It's also one of the best Green Lantern comics ever written

Well, he was supposed to help Bruce to reject the Mobius chair and at just one issue to go he's nowhere to be seen.

And while a good story, the religious themes were a bit too into the nose for my taste and ignoring Hal's time as Parallax (despite fitting perfectly with the themes of the story) was a huge missed opportunity.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jason and Bruce eating burgers :unsmith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
-Superman without red boots looks weird as hell

-WW is great and is obviously inspired by Gadot's costume

-Batman is basically the same

-Jessica is just an standard GL uniform. I wish they would ditch the eye symbol, is stupid looking.

-Aquaman's differences are minimal as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gaz-L posted:

I get the impression she's a proper GL now. Probably with a normal ring.

Indeed

Rhyno posted:

I prefer this Superman design and I honestly thought it was what we were getting until the Rebirth book dropped.

I'm still sad this one was just a concept and no an actual suit, is fantastic.

Also, better looks at Supersons, Harley and Croc's new costumes

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

sudo rm -rf posted:

Did anyone else like N52 Superman's design?

I loved it :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

You're right, only Hal should exist!

I agree with this :colbert:

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Justice League position of Green Lantern is the only one in Rebirth not filled by the traditional dude (unless you count Pre-Flashpoint Superman being a stranger, which I guess you should.) It's THE interesting thing about the League book on the surface.

Is the opposite for me, the lack not only of Hal (who has been sidelined from the league after the opening arc in the N52) and pre Flashpoint Superman essentially ursurping SuperBro's place (I can't simply believe that Bruce will accept this new Superman just like that) has killed all my interest on the rebirth JL

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read Lois and Clark? I've found it's pretty easy to get invested in old Clark, Lois and Jon.
It'll only be a year before N-52 Clark isn't just Clark, and until then there being a separate Superman and Clark Kent could be pretty neat.

I've read Lois and Clark and that why I don't like pre FP in the JL. He is a pretty different character to Superbro but the way they've been marketing his addition to the JL makes it seem like there won't be any significative changes to the team dynamics. This is especially jarring with Batman, Pak did a stellar job building their friendship through all of Batman Superman (and even Taylor helped a bit), we've seen another facet from them in American Alien and all that build up is simply being tossed away.

That is part o the same issue I have with the SuperSons concept although in less degree.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Robwilliams71/status/727179263837921280

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Against what? Half the villains on Earth don't give a poo poo about guns and 90% of whatever gleep glop aliens they're fighting have tech that completely shits on guns?

Yeah shoot Mongul, I'm sure that's going to stop him.

When Baz received his ring the first time, it was prone to malfunctioning due Hal and Sinestro having sent with contradictory requests. At the same time the third army was starting its attack on earth and at one point Baz got stuck in a dangerous situation and could only get out due picking up the gun. Since then he stuck with it because he didn't really trusted his ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I didn't find a better thread post this

From here

That final page hit me harder than I expected, I'm going to miss these two working together :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey man, I rooting for Red Hood now just because pairing him up with Bizarro is my kinda crazy idea, but are you interested in any other comic coming up?
Not that you need to be, but you definitely have enthusiasm in ya, so it'd be cool to see the :allears: come out for more things.

Not really. I was hoping a change of direction in both Batman and GL but it didn't happen. I will still check around to see if there's a book that catches my eye of course.

Welp

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/exclusive-red-hoodarsenal-12/

Roy :smith:

And goddamit DC, was it too hard to release at least the double spread in a readable size? :argh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

DT, Tom King is killing it with his other comics. It's a safe bet his Batman is going to be real good.

Travis343 posted:

I'm pretty happy to see a team book with Bruce, Kate, Steph, Tim, and Cassandra on Detective Comics, and Grayson has me really looking forward to Tom King on Batman. What kind of direction were you hoping for?

First I haven't been impressed by any of King's previous DC work and mostly a very different direction to the one Snyder gave the title these past few years. But going by interviews and the previews released so far, while not exactly the same, King is following Snyder's footsteps.

Also, Detective sounds like Eternal Part 3 and both Eternals were utter garbage.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Superbro is a great character with a lot of unexplored potential and it's really boring that he's getting thrown out in favour of Superdad who's already had 25 years worth of stories especially with Dan Jurgens and Peter Tomasi writing, the former who's been really average at best and the latter who has been loving awful with the Superman character. Tomasi was easily the worst part of Truth and Last Days of Superman is decompressed with a really flimsy premise that's been dragged out to 8 issues and not nearly enough story going on to justify it.

Ideally Lois and Clark should've just been an outside continuity series that just continued to tell Post Crisis Superman stories as if a reboot didn't happen instead of the convoluted setup that it had while someone like Greg Pak or of a similar caliber continued to tell good New 52 Superman stories that aren't constantly dragged into crossovers.

I agree with all of this.

I can also add that Truth was already pretty underwhelming but is a slap in the face how it ended with Superbro proving he's a hero with or without his powers and in general in the highest point of his career since Morrison ended his run just for the next arc going "LOL Nope" and making him terminally ill.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Super bro may have great potential but if you have over 100 issues of stories without hitting anything interesting then I don't think it's gonna happen.

American Alien, Pak's Batman Superman, Morrison's Action Comics, Taylor's small Batman Superman Arc doesn't count?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope. Nothing particularly interesting that made Superman stand out. Some of those stories were fine, but I don't think they required SuperBro. But that is because SuperBro wasn't really a new character but more like a reset.

American Alien and Morrison's AC in particular doesn't work with Superdad's twenty-something years baggage. While Pak and Taylor build from the ground up the relationship between Bruce and Clark on their stories, offering a pretty different dynamic compared to that found in the pre FP stories.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sya what you want about Lobdell, the man certainly has a sense of humor and a knack for irony. Not only he set up a vote to determinate if Roy survives, he went so far to include 01-800 and 52 references as well.

Overall, issue 12 was great. Everything set up through the bulk of JD's arc neatly came together, is obvious that unlike RHATO's final arc Lobdell had more time (and knowledge) to set a satisfactory ending in advance. Of course there will be certain degree of comic book bullshit involved but that cames with the territory. The mention of Roy's knack for making impossible things possible lends me to believe there will be a soft reboot involved in the way Jason and Roy will go their separate ways, likely a situation where Roy/everyone's memories will be altered.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here. As long they don't retcon all of Jason and Roy friendship I'm satisfied. Over the five (nearly six) years N52 was a thing, I really grew to love their dynamic and I'm very sad this is their final team up in the foreseable future.

That being said, I appreciate DC got a pretty decent artist to finish the series

See DC? Isnt too hard to make featureless helmet look good.

This page alluding to previous events was fantastic, specially because it has the original Outlaws.

This Jason is kind of creeping me out.

In any case, I hope Lobdell can stick the landing in the next issue. Until then this will be a long, long month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Alhazred posted:

A man who guns down a mental patient have no right to criticize others for having "homicidal impulses".

Norns posted:

Lol wait. Did he end up killing Jokers Daughter?

She's alive

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2016