Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

He also wrote the best Daredevil run ever. Yes I'm loving going there. Bendis' Daredevil is better than Frank Miller's

I’d put it above Miller’d Pre Born Again run but nothing surpasses Born Again.

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s better than Miller’s but not Brubaker’s.

Ew no, Brubakers run got pretty mediocre after the Devil inside Out (which to be clear was fantastic). The Mr Fear arc was loving awful and after that the run was just fairly average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I agree. I love Brubaker, I love Daredevil, and "The Devil Inside and Out" is in my top five Daredevil stories ever. But after that, it was nothing but more and more misery and suffering for Matt and anyone unlucky enough to know him. What happened to Milla still disturbs me to this day, but that's Brubaker for you.

I'd definitely rank Bendis' run as a whole over Miller's pre-"Born Again" run, but it is really hard to top "Born Again."

I think the good thing about Devil Inside Out is it's reasonably wrapped up all the loose ends and you could skip the remaining Brubaker run and go straight to Waid's run or just read Bendis's End of Days which is a perfectly fine ending to the character and feel like you've got a satisfying conclusion to the character and move on.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I really like the post Superman Reborn outfit...I thought it did a great job breaking up the blue with the red and gold belt.

I don't know why he has to go back to trunks again...I feel like every other character is allowed to move on from them so why not Superman? No one's out there clamoring for the Bat trunks or the black Aquaman speedos and most people are happy for Wonder Woman to have a battle skirt instead of the underwear so it just feels regressive and nostalgia wanking. But then most of Rebirth has been safe nostalgia wanking with not particularly amazing but inoffensive storytelling.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Spider-Man's best costume is still his original.

Spider-Man doesn't wear briefs?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

So far it’s been very mediocre. The DCYou Constantine the Hellblazer series was far superior.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Aquaman continues to be a great read. Federici's art is gorgeous to look at, I hope he stays on Aquaman for a while and then gets more work on higher profile stuff.

Aquaman, Green Arrow and Deathstroke are my favourites of Rebirth with Priest's JL fairly decently close behind.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark Knight the Last Crusade was one of the best Miller stories in years and a genuinely good Batman story. I hope that's the level of quality both Miller and JRjr bring to Year One.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Well I mean you're wrong.

It's a great story about Bruce facing his age and getting older and missing a step but trying to keep going with his crazy fantasy while the rest of the world seems to be growing up around him. He then ends the story deciding to retire but train Jason to take his place...only for the Joker to snatch that away from him.

It's a book about a surprisingly mature Bruce actually growing up and facing his own mortality and making a surprisingly mature decision about it before the tragedy strikes and he ends up completely spiralling out into Dark Knight Returns. I was very impressed with what turned out to be a very restrained take on Batman from Miller after he gave us ASBAR and Holy Terror.

And JRjr's art is much better when it's not inked and he actually takes the time with it instead of scratching out whatever for deadlines and the inkers ruining his pencilling.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's one of the unannounced No Justice spin-off series, Red Hood League.

edit: JaseTodd's League

Written by James Tynion IV because D_T made his wish with a monkey paw.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone pick up Green Lantern Earth One and care to review it? It's delayed on Comixology :/

edit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2018/03/14/hawkman-will-return-to-his-own-series-from-dc-comics-this-summer/
Hawkman ongoing from Venditti and Hitch.
I'd really have expected that to go to Jeff Lemire. I wonder if they already screwed up his return to DC.

Eww gently caress. I was really looking forward to a Jeff Lemire Hawkman run. I absolutely despise Venshitty after reading his initial stuff on Green Lantern and have no interest in reading his crap.

Why bother with the whole process of giving Hawkman a big Rebirth treatment and using Metal to make him have a big epic comeback if you're just going to give it to the usual lousy B-Grade stable of writers?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Looking at the Year One art it looks like we’re getting regular mediocre JRjr and not The Last Crusade JRjr which is a shame.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'll absolutely take a Ben Caldwell drawn Carrie Kelley comic.

I miss Prez so much it hurts. It deserved the full 12 issue series more than anything else out DCYou

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I’m not the biggest fan of Tynion but his and Ming Doyle’s Constantine was excellent and one of the best runs on the haracter in a long time (which is admittedly damning with faint praise but still I liked it) so I’ll give JLD a chance.

Odyssey looks weird and cool but I seriously don’t care for Williamson.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I'm completely on board for Azzarello on Suicide Squad, that type of title is exactly up his alley and Rob Williams' SS lost steam after a while so I'm ready for an Azz take on the series.

I don't actually know much about KSD as a writer, I'd be sad to see Abnett leaving Aquaman cause I really liked his run after Sejic came on and the art and writing spiked in quality but if he leaves after the Rath arc it'd be completely understandable. What's the general view of KSD's writing?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

The last time Kandor figured into a storyline that I remember was before N52 when the whole city got embiggened and tried to take over Earth led by General Zod, then they formed their own planet, then 90% of the population got killed by Lex Luthor, then the remaining Kandorians led a bloody assault on Earth and killed a ton of people and blew up cities and then got shoved into the Phantom Zone except some secret sleeper cell terrorist Kryptonians.

So I mean, let's see if this can be any worse than that.

There was a more recent storyline than that in New 52 where Xadu the Phantom King was using the Kandorians like tiny seeking invulnerable bullets to hurt people Superman cared about.

It was actually a pretty good story and the fakeout that Superman’s most important person in his life wasn’t Lois but Bruce had the perfect level of homoerotic tones for a Batman/Superman story.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superbro is coming back for the Sideways Annual in a story penned by Morrison himself.

Yesssss.

What a welcome relief after Bendis's garbage.

Can we just keep getting more Morrison's T-Shirt Superman in other comics to tide us over during the 5+ year Bendis Superman run?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Everyone seems convinced that Kyle and Roy will bite it in Heroes in Crisis but among the list of potentials was also listed John Constantine. I love Constantine and I'd love to see an actually good series with him (though his recent run with Ming Doyle/Tynion was fantastic as were his appearances in Soule's Swamp Thing) but I want to point out something that's fairly noticeable right now:

The Hellblazer just finished, Tim Seeley specifically said he came on to end the series which means the cancellation was on the cards for quite some time.

Constantine is not on the new Justice League Dark. The explanation for why is a bit arbitrary and seems to just be an excuse to kick him off and replace him with Wonder Woman. And while JLD was never that big of a series Constantine and Zatanna were basically the faces of that team so this just doesn't make any sense.

It seems to me like they're going to kill Constantine in Heroes in Crisis and that's why his series ended (among other reasons like it being generally mediocre and not that much of a seller) but also why he's no longer on mystic team book when he was previously basically its leader.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

The only good part of Rebirth Justice League is the Chris Priest storyline which is an interesting story about the JL dealing with the political ramifications of their actions.

Unfortunately it gets overshadowed by Metal towards the end and the story randomly gets hijacked by Deathstroke and his supporting cast which is entertaining to read but makes the ending just kind of...end with a whimper that doesn't really tie together all of the political ideas that Priest raised in the earlier issues.

Overall I'd say it's worth a read if that kind of theme is interesting to you.

I've got to say though I'm actually really enjoying Snyder's JL. I usually have a few reservations about Scott Snyder's writing style but I feel like it's working really well on JL - I'll fully admit I enjoyed Metal a lot more than I expected to.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Bendis is poo poo and I want this lovely ride to end. God I can't take 10 years of Bendis Superman.

EDIT: Also you can't kill people in the Phantom Zone, that's the point.

AFoolAndHisMoney fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 8, 2018

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered not reading comics you don't like? Seems like after, what, 10 issues you've decided it's not for you.

Oh I've stopped reading it, don't you worry.

I just want to read a good Superman series again and the idea that Bendis might be making GBS threads it up for several years before a halfway decent writer comes on again annoys me.

Right now it seems like the only potentially good Superman story that might be worth a read is the Tom King Walmart story.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Space Fish posted:

Justice League Dark is pretty drat good, almost makes up for Stjepan Sejic leaving Justice League Odyssey after only two issues due to a crazy-compressed schedule.

I’m really surprised at how much I enjoy it. I’ve never really cared for JLD before even though I love those characters and Tynion only impressed with Constantine the Hellblazer, plus I don’t really like Wonder Woman leading this team of otherwise fringe vertigo characters.

And yet somehow I’m really enjoying the concept so far and I’m excited for where it’ll go, I was really glad to see Khalid Nassour back and Constantine is still playing a role in the background despite Wonder Woman taking his spot. And I’m liking this new potential arc for Alec and seems like a reasonable extension of the Snyder/Soule runs.

Overall it’s better than I thought it would be. Now if only it could be called Shadowpact instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

You guys suck. Lex Luthor/Porky was hilarious, Daffy trolling Lex was the greatest thing and Mark Russell is an absolute gem.

DC needs him writing more stuff. Also I have no problem with his social commentary being unsubtle when it’s as amusingly scathing as it is. Still wish he got to finish Prez.