Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's only the monthlies, which is fine with me. I read 5 of those so an extra $5 monthly isn't a big deal. I imagine once they start dropping the double-shipping titles down to monthly, those will be $4 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My single issue pulls are probably at a lower ebb now than at any point over the past 3 years. I dropped almost all of Marvel with the latest relaunch, and I rarely pull indy books in single issues any more because very few of them come out on a schedule regular enough that I can keep up with what is going on in them. Also, since I only started reading comics in the middle of The New 52, I've recently decided I want to spend more of my reading time and money going back and catching up on some of the more well-regarded or important stuff I missed from the past. I recently finished 52 and absolutely loved it, so I think next up will be more stuff from around that area of DC. Anyway:

DC: Batgirl, Batgirl & Birds of Prey, Batwoman, Detective Comics, Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan & Green Lantern Corps, Justice League of America, Suicide Squad, Superman, Titans, Trinity

Marvel: Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel. The only two Marvel books I couldn't do without.

Indy: Giant Days and all of Valiant except Faith.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Got caught up on the first three issues of The Wild Storm and liked it a lot even if I wasn't totally sure what was going on 100% of the time. Is there anything from the past I can read to help give context?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Did Fall and Rise of Captain Atom end up being worth reading? Just picked up #6 from my LCS and realized that since The Rumored Thing must not have happened (or I'm sure it would have been everywhere), I'm not sure I even want to read them.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm not a new DC reader necessarily, been reading regularly for 5 years or so, but I had no idea what was going on for 80% of Metal. And yes I read the two prologue one-shots. I'll probably either wait for the trade and see if the whole thing makes more sense read all at once, or hope some website starts doing annotations to explain all the obscure references. Other than that, I can't see myself continuing to read it in singles.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to have to drop Metal because I still have no idea what is going on with the story. I hate to say it because it was my most anticipated book of the year, but I've read all four issues, most of them 2-3 times, and I can't make any sense of it. Hopefully with the trade they'll add some material that helps explain all the backstory or someone will have done annotations by then.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

That's part of why I'm so confused, I think, because Rebirth has largely been accessible and friendly to new readers, and then here in the first big event of Rebirth (I realize they did JL v SS, but Metal is on a different level from that) they're mining 20-30 years of DC universe history with very little in the way of context or laying of groundwork. It's fun to see all the old school DC heads so excited, but I'll be damned if I can understand any of it. Has Hawkman even been in a Rebirth book up to now? I remember seeing the Death of Hawkman mini on shelves at my shop but that's it.

I will say it's an amusing feeling to go out of my way to avoid spoilers on these big issues and then when I finally get to read the story and see the big reveal, it has zero impact. I read Sandman maybe 15 years ago, but Dream showing up at the end of Metal #1 was more baffling than anything else. Same with whatever happened at the end of Action Comics this week. Well over a year of Mr. Oz build and the result is after finishing I toss the issue into my trade-in box and take the rest of the arc off my pull list. Oh well.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Literally anything has to be better than Hitch so I will buy a few issues just to make that point.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is the 12 issue miniseries of Mister Miracle by Jack Kirby that just got reissued a recommended read? The current Tom King Mister Miracle hasn't really connected with me so far, but the only comic I've ever read with Mister Miracle in it was the Geoff Johns Darkseid War arc of Justice League under the New 52, so I'm wondering if some extra context/backstory might help.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm going to give The Terrifics a try even if I don't know the characters. Looks cool.

Anyone know how many volumes I might expect in that Batman: Legacy series which had Vol 2 solicited there? Sounds like a cool story.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I decided to try to read the Morrison Batman run over Christmas break, and I'm about halfway through Final Crisis. I don't understand it at all. This isn't a huge surprise since I've always heard it was impenetrable unless you're an expert in DC history, so I'm curious if I can just skip the rest and move onto Batman & Robin/Batman Inc, or if I should just stop now and move on if I can't make it through Final Crisis.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I see coming out next week is a new trade, Batman Legacy vol. 2. Is that the final volume of that story? It looks good so I was thinking of ordering Contagion and Legacy vol. 1 and 2. Can anyone recommend it or recommend to avoid?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm trying to go through and read my digital comics backlog and I've arrived at the old Grant Morrison JLA series. I appear to have purchased DC One Million #1-4, JLA Classified #1-3 and JLA Earth 2 in additional to the volumes in the main series. Am I fine to read these by publication date or is there some specific order I should try to read them in?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

DC is choosing an interesting time to start swapping out the creative teams on all the books I read. I have barely read anything from Marvel since about mid-Civil War II but after hearing positive word of mouth about some of the newer stuff like Thanos and Avengers I've been dipping a toe back in the water. Now that I'm looking to make a little more room in my pull list for Marvel stuff, it just so happens to be in the same period of a few months where they change the creative teams on Green Lanterns, Green Arrow, Hal and GLC, Detective Comics, Justice League, Superman, etc. I've already dropped a couple of those and it's more likely than not that I'll just fall off more of them as creative changes and start picking up some of the new Marvel #1s in May.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Some of that stuff sounded cool, but some of it sounds like I'll probably have the same problem with it as I had with Metal which I dropped after a couple issues because I'm not a DC history expert and 90% of it was over my head.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hope they release some sort of big hardcover for Metal that includes all the tie ins and maybe some sort of explanation/guide for people who weren't able to follow it. I fell off after a few issues because I had no idea what was going on but I'd love to be able to read it.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I realize no one writes the same book forever anymore but I'm sad about most of these changes on the big DC books because they're just going to mean I end up dropping like half of my DC pulls. Not a huge deal since Marvel is launching a bunch of new stuff I'd like to try out, but I was such a huge fan of most of the core Rebirth books and I wish they could've gone on longer.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Is Batman War Games worth picking up for $12 in this Comixology sale?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Huh, I was sure they'd decided to scotch the three Jokers idea. Wonder when we'll start hearing more about that.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've got to stop doing this, but I wanted to read the full Infinite Crisis story so I bought the recent omnibus and my lord it is way too big to sit and read comfortably. Easily the size of that Kirby omnibus and probably a little bigger if anything. So now I've got to ask, how much of this is actually necessary reading and how much can be skimmed/skipped? It looks like besides the main Infinite Crisis story, it has six 6 issue miniseries and then a bunch of scattered issues from assorted characters like Superman and Wonder Woman. Anything in there I can gloss over to save myself carrying this thing around?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I guess I should have asked in here before I spent $75 on an omnibus so huge it's probably going to damage the floorboards in my apt if I drop it. I always thought it was meant to be a prime example of the quality of DC in the mid 00s, other examples of which I've read and liked a lot - 52, Morrison Batman, Johns GL, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm still plugging away at my Infinite Crisis omnibus and I just finished the Villains United stuff with the Secret Six. That was maybe my favorite part so far. How is the Secret Six ongoing that Simone wrote afterward?