Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it's safe to assume the next one will have a snorkel instead of a straw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it truly seized or just hydrolocked? I've seen engines survive a dunk in the face of initial appearances.

If it's dead... New car, engine rebuild, or engine swap?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Is this the same chassis as a fiesta? Can you swap in the 1.0 ecoboost?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well, my insurance agent is calling the company to see if we can get something covered. If yes, then I'm having a new motor put in. If no, then I need a new car stat. In addition to commuting every day I do side work as a process server, so I need wheels. The question is, at that point, do I take the 500 I'll get in trade in at the scheister used car dealer? Or do I keep it for putting a motor in later, knowing full well that I won't be able to do ANY work on it until next summer if then.

If the shop does the job, it's going to be another 1.5 mzr motor. If I do the job, what other motors fit that would let me make it breathe fire?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, my insurance agent is calling the company to see if we can get something covered. If yes, then I'm having a new motor put in. If no, then I need a new car stat. In addition to commuting every day I do side work as a process server, so I need wheels. The question is, at that point, do I take the 500 I'll get in trade in at the scheister used car dealer? Or do I keep it for putting a motor in later, knowing full well that I won't be able to do ANY work on it until next summer if then.

If the shop does the job, it's going to be another 1.5 mzr motor. If I do the job, what other motors fit that would let me make it breathe fire?

If its your daily and you need a car right now, just go stock. Think about modding the car later when its a more stable situation, now isn't the time :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you end up getting another car, keep it and put a Fiesta ST motor in it when you have the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you end up getting another car, keep it and put a Fiesta ST motor in it when you have the time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I can't even find anywhere to buy a 1.0.

There's a zillion 1.5 MRZRs on eBay tho

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You don't want the 1.0, you want the turbo 1.6 with 197 hp.

You could also probably fit a Skyactiv in there too, and boost the mpg's big time.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 18, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

.....and she's done. Sucked water in. Seized the engine. Gonna see about anything the warranty will cover, but I'm not hopeful.

Insurance covers that. If you have comp, you'll get a 0 mi engine for your deductable.
Get rid of the loving cai though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

nm posted:

Insurance covers that. If you have comp, you'll get a 0 mi engine for your deductable.
Get rid of the loving cai though.

I have comprehensive, but the Progressive guy said no dice. Am I asking the wrong question?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have comprehensive, but the Progressive guy said no dice. Am I asking the wrong question?

Sucks. You should have aimed for the redneck.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah. If my agent doesn't come through in the morning, I might have to bite the bullet and just go buy another car. :sigh: There's a few high mileage 4x4s I have my eye on that will get me by for now, but it just won't be the same. XJ, Xterra, CRV, Rodeo - all of them will get me to work but none of them will give me the fizz like the 2.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know in California it is covered. Maybe it is collision because you were dodging a car?
If your car gets flooded, they pay for it, this isn't any different.
You need to push back because unless Nevada is even weirder than I think, this should be covered.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Get a Forester.

The LKQ near me had a 1.0 Fiesta engine for like an hour before someone else snapped it up. They do a properly brisk trade in regular-Fiesta and -Focus engine/transmission combos, especially with the dual-clutch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah sounds like you need to make a stink, comprehensive should cover it, of course they are going to try and avoid a payoff initially they always do.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I mean it sounds like you wrecked your car into a ditch full of water, which caused catastrophic engine damage. Why would this not be covered by comprehensive insurance?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ok, some news. My agent got the claim reopened (progressive had closed it yesterday) and I'm getting an adjuster to the shop today to determine whether or not they'll cover things. I'm hoping this goes well. Also, they got my rental set up like they're supposed to, so I won't have to uber around town today.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'd love to hear the Uber driver's response to being asked to take you 50 miles down a dirt road.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

I mean it sounds like you wrecked your car into a ditch full of water, which caused catastrophic engine damage. Why would this not be covered by comprehensive insurance?

Water damage is water damage, whether or not an idiot in a truck forced you into it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Update!

Progressive has agreed to replace the motor. I don't get a new one, but one with fewer miles than I had (the one I'm getting will have 41k on it) plus a warranty. So okay. Job might be done in 2 weeks or so, which means I can stop driving this Compass rental I'm in right now and get back into my own nice car that is fun to drive and has good gas mileage.

Though, I might pick up a thousand dollar beater truck to get me through the winter, as it looks like things are going to be pretty wet and muddy this year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Update!

Progressive has agreed to replace the motor. I don't get a new one, but one with fewer miles than I had (the one I'm getting will have 41k on it) plus a warranty. So okay. Job might be done in 2 weeks or so, which means I can stop driving this Compass rental I'm in right now and get back into my own nice car that is fun to drive and has good gas mileage.

Though, I might pick up a thousand dollar beater truck to get me through the winter, as it looks like things are going to be pretty wet and muddy this year.

Wet and muddy wouldn't matter if you had a snorkel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Update!

Good to hear!

I keep racking my brain trying to figure out my next car here soon, and I always come back to the Mazda2. I can't find anything close to it in terms of fun/economy/dependability/price. Low mileage manuals are getting super cheap, seems like nobody wants them which is fine with me :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Please tell me you are removing the cai.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

After I get it back from the shop, yes, I plan on going back to stock (there's no snorkels for the car...). The new engine is minus accessories, and I don't want to pay the dealer price for new parts, so I'll be hitting the junkyard.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Supposedly the Corksport short ram intake increases mpg by quite a bit, might wanna look into that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Flip a cold air intake upside down, punch a hole in the hood so it fits, and hey presto you've made yourself a snorkel!

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Supposedly the Corksport short ram intake increases mpg by quite a bit, might wanna look into that.

I don't have data on it pre install but I do average around 7 l/100km mixed city/highway with the SRI.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's alive!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good to see. Are the wheels painted stock, or did you do that?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those are stock. Soon to be my snow wheels, and this spring I'll upgrade the summers to 16s.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
That seems fast - glad you got it back so quick. They really are great cars. Every time I think about getting something different I end up changing my mind after driving it. I liken them to a modern reincarnation of a MK2 Golf without the VW German Engineering "benefits".

Out of curiosity did you end up getting the aluminium skid plate (prior to the water event)?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So when you spoke to insurance at first did you say some things you shouldn't? Maybe because I pay out the rear end for comp on two old cars but Progressive has always paid me just fine or gone after the people responsible. No questions. Anyways glad to see you back in business.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Nah, I just got an idiot to start with, I think. I only ended up paying my deductible, which is only $500. So no biggie. They couldn't go after any one else in this case because I didn't have a plate number for the guy who ran me off the road and the county sheriff never showed up to do a police report.

I haven't put a skidplate on it yet, and if I get another car to run for wintertime (and a new bike for summertime) then I'll just make this my fun, pavement oriented car. There's certainly enough upgrades still to do that I could keep pretty busy doing that.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a Jeep or Suzuki or something to get me through the winter months.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Good to hear but Jeep or Suzuki are we in the same century here?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

What? What am I missing?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Plot twist: you forced yourself off the road in your new winter beater in order to force yourself to acquire a winter beater.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In the meantime, I'm looking for a Jeep or Suzuki or something to get me through the winter months.
Unless you have deep enough snow to cause ground clearance issues, why?

Also, depending which Jeep or Suzuki you mean, old short-wheelbase, leaf-sprung, live axle stuff is actually kind of a pig to drive on icy/snowy roads. A cheap Cherokee/Grand Cherokee or similar might be better.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's not the deep snow, so much, as it's the deep and sticky mud that comes from it, along with the guys and so forth that come from that. Just in the last couple of weeks when I had the compass, the road was bad enough that I could hardly make it through - the lovely trans couldn't give me the power I needed, and I bottomed out a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Problem solved. Picking up an xj tomorrow.

• Locked thread